Author Topic: A little insight into how scammers work  (Read 2552 times)

Offline jose34

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
A little insight into how scammers work
« on: October 27, 2022, 09:45:15 AM »

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: A little insight into how scammers work
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 12:10:25 PM »
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Willie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 03:53:12 PM »
Thought this would be good to share:
A friend of mine reached out to me that he has a friend that got added to a whatsapp chat with strangers where they give out free advice on investing in crypto and he made over 10 thousand dollars(he also mentioned how he was davening to Hashem for parnassah and this came into his lap, cant really blame him). I asked him how long he's been doing it he said 2-3 weeks.  Apparently one guy on this chat gives out his free advice and you invest on this website called dcoin in which you buy contracts of bonds or something like that and through that can make thousands of dollars in minutes. He made tens of thousands of dollars apparently and keeps investing more,To me it sounded too good to be true but did some research, found this online-

https://www.michigan.gov/ag/consumer-protection/consumer-alerts/consumer-alerts/scams/cryptocurrency-scam-pig-butchering

So I guess scammers manipulate the website to make it look like your making money so you invest more and then run.
what i dont understand is dcoin website looks very legit, has anyone heard of this before? May be good idea to get the word out there to avoid.

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 04:00:57 PM »
A friend of mine reached out to me that he has a friend that got added to a whatsapp chat with strangers where they give out free advice on investing in crypto and he made over 10 thousand dollars(he also mentioned how he was davening to Hashem for parnassah and this came into his lap, cant really blame him). I asked him how long he's been doing it he said 2-3 weeks.  Apparently one guy on this chat gives out his free advice and you invest on this website called dcoin in which you buy contracts of bonds or something like that and through that can make thousands of dollars in minutes. He made tens of thousands of dollars apparently and keeps investing more,To me it sounded too good to be true but did some research, found this online-

https://www.michigan.gov/ag/consumer-protection/consumer-alerts/consumer-alerts/scams/cryptocurrency-scam-pig-butchering

So I guess scammers manipulate the website to make it look like your making money so you invest more and then run.
what i dont understand is dcoin website looks very legit, has anyone heard of this before? May be good idea to get the word out there to avoid.
So sad to hear that people actually fall for that. I hope he didn't lose too much money.

Offline Randomex

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 05:58:45 AM »

Dcoin is a legit mostly-crypto trading site (though I suppose it's possible he's using something pretending to be it).
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 08:23:58 AM »
(he also mentioned how he was davening to Hashem for parnassah and this came into his lap, cant really blame him).

Whoa
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 04:02:29 PM »
Since this thread seems to be the place to share scams that are going around;

I saw a house listed for rent on Facebook Marketplace. The price was significantly lower than similar options. The exact address was not listed, but when I showed the pictures to my wife she recognized the pictures as a house that had been listed for sale on Zillow a few days earlier.

I sent a message to the guy who posted, asking to schedule a time for me to see the house. He responded giving me an email address to contact if I am interested.

I sent an email asking to see the house (without mentioning the Zillow listing), and got a response saying (edited for clarity);
1 - he was planning on selling the house but the agent was cheating him by renting it out for more than they agreed and not sending him the money. Once he has a tenant, the "For Sale" sign will be taken down.

2 - He is not dealing with agents anymore because they are bad people. I should only deal with him directly and I don't need to speak to the agent because what they will tell me is garbage.

3 - He can't show me the house, because the viewing session finished. He moved out of town because of his job and because his wife is very sick. I am free to go myself and look at the house (presumably just the outside) and tell him if I want to go ahead.

4 - If I decide to rent it, he is fine with me paying monthly or all upfront. Once I agree he will figure out how to get the key to me.

5 - They need a responsible tenant who will take care of things on their own, and that is why the rent is so cheap.

As an aside, the name that came up on his email was different that the first guy and also not the name that was included in the email. The person listed as the owner on the county registry was not the same as any of the people I contacted.

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 07:19:30 PM »
Since this thread seems to be the place to share scams that are going around;

I saw a house listed for rent on Facebook Marketplace. The price was significantly lower than similar options. The exact address was not listed, but when I showed the pictures to my wife she recognized the pictures as a house that had been listed for sale on Zillow a few days earlier.

I sent a message to the guy who posted, asking to schedule a time for me to see the house. He responded giving me an email address to contact if I am interested.

I sent an email asking to see the house (without mentioning the Zillow listing), and got a response saying (edited for clarity);
As an aside, the name that came up on his email was different that the first guy and also not the name that was included in the email. The person listed as the owner on the county registry was not the same as any of the people I contacted.
This is a pretty famous scam (in different versions), with people renting apartments and homes which they arent the landlord to nor are they hired by the landlord to rent. Its scary because I think most people dont do much due diligence when renting and giving money over if the person signing as any power at all.

Offline Willie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 01:13:01 AM »
Dcoin is a legit mostly-crypto trading site (though I suppose it's possible he's using something pretending to be it).

So then I really dont get what the scammers are getting here, and hes still convinced its real.
Everyone in the group has an international number(mostly german numbers) and all their profile pictures are attractive women so clear that its not real, just dont get the game...

Offline Randomex

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 07:59:19 PM »
Could be a pump and dump. I don't know how hard it is to get listed on Dcoin.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)