Topic Wiki

I'm tempted to name this thread after our most serious offender.
Repent, or else...

Judah Kanowitz might not be the only one with a dedicated thread.
« Last edited by Moshe123 on June 24, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »

Author Topic: I've Had It! The Grammar/Punctuation Hall of Shame Master Thread  (Read 204061 times)

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: I've Had It! The Grammar/Punctuation Hall of Shame Master Thread
« Reply #860 on: December 20, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »
What’s your issue? And I certainly think it is. What’s your svara that it isn’t?

Are you talking about the suits?

I would agree with @aygart - a compound noun (without being merged into a single word or when using a hyphen) is something like "bus stop", where both words describe a singular noun. But spelling and grammar are both separate nouns, even if in your head you are combining them in the same category.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #861 on: December 20, 2018, 11:29:11 AM »
I would agree with @aygart - a compound noun (without being merged into a single word or when using a hyphen) is something like "bus stop", where both words describe a singular noun. But spelling and grammar are both separate nouns, even if in your head you are combining them in the same category.
“Spelling and grammar” is a section in books, a course in college, and an option in software.

See the link I added to my original defense. In the example cited, “breaking and entering” is similar to my use of “spelling and grammar”- that is, separate nouns, that, by common use (or use in law), have come to be one compound unit.

Apologies in advance for the commas, all of which I found necessary.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:35:08 AM by S209 »
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #862 on: December 20, 2018, 12:21:20 PM »
“Spelling and grammar” is a section in books, a course in college, and an option in software.

See the link I added to my original defense. In the example cited, “breaking and entering” is similar to my use of “spelling and grammar”- that is, separate nouns, that, by common use (or use in law), have come to be one compound unit.

Can we drive his into the ground? You betcha.

Breaking and entering is not analogous to spelling and grammar. Just because two separate (but equal?) nouns are often used together does not make them a singular compound. Breaking and entering is a compound of separate nouns to create a new singular noun. You need both to create the specific noun you are referring to. While spelling and grammar are often combined under one banner but remain separate, just as a library may combine books about "Penguins and Chassidim" under one category even though they remain entirely separate, or a college course could be about "Language and Pedantry".

Your apology came at the end of the post, not in advance. Granting you an Oxford Comma, I count four superfluous commas and one superfluous em dash.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #863 on: December 20, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »

Breaking and Entering is a title of a single crime with the noun comprising of a few words. It is not that it has come to mean anything but rather that it is describing one item. That is a compound noun. Grammar and Spelling as a title of a subject would also be a compound noun. When correcting the spelling and grammar of a document one is doing two different actions since they can each be done independently. That would mean that it is not a compound noun since a compound noun describes one item using more than one word.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 20, 2018, 12:43:04 PM »
This is making less sense than the political tread if that is even possible.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline greatluck

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 20, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »
punctuation goes a long way ::)
can anyone tell me what's wrong here?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 20, 2018, 12:51:52 PM »
So go learn simple english..... :P

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #867 on: December 20, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »
Can we drive this into the ground? You betcha.

Breaking and entering is not analogous to spelling and grammar. Just because two separate (but equal?) nouns are almost always used together does not make them a singular compound. Breaking and entering is a compound of separate nouns to create a new singular noun. You need both to create the specific noun you are referring to, while spelling and grammar are often combined under one banner but remain separate, just as a library may combine books about "Penguins and Chassidim" under one category even though they remain entirely separate, or a college course could be about "Language and Pedantry".
1) FTFY
2) You make a valid point, although I still think it's defensible. I'll advance one possibility: In the comment, I could have been referring to the "Spelling and Grammar" of the course offered by my college, although perhaps "spelling" and "grammar" should then have been capitalized 😂 . Additionally, I believe that spelling and grammar have been lumped together in common use often enough to become one unit.
3) For one with such command of the English language, this is surprising. The structure of your last sentence is both incorrect and incomprehensible, which could (ironically) have been remedied with an additional comma instead of a period following "referring to". Unless this was a "spell-check" moment? (Notice how the common usage of the word spell-check denotes checking both spelling AND grammar. Another point for me.)

Your apology came at the end of the post, not in advance. Granting you an Oxford Comma, I count four superfluous commas and one superfluous em dash.

1) I meant in advance of the accusations that were sure to fly, and you promptly proved my word prophetic.
2) Please name which commas were superfluous. You can reply by posting the sentence without the superfluous commas and we'll see if it's true. I'm withholding judgement for now.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #868 on: December 20, 2018, 01:05:15 PM »
Breaking and Entering is a title of a single crime with the noun comprising of a few words. It is not that it has come to mean anything but rather that it is describing one item. That is a compound noun. Grammar and Spelling as a title of a subject would also be a compound noun. When correcting the spelling and grammar of a document one is doing two different actions since they can each be done independently. That would mean that it is not a compound noun since a compound noun describes one item using more than one word.
Perhaps, perhaps not. I propose that you can also check the "spelling and grammar" as one item, as in to "spell-check" something. Breaking and entering can be done independently of each other, together, or it can be done as one action. Who decides when it becomes a compound noun? Common use? Webster's? Does it need to be codified into U.S. law?

Also, why couldn't I have been referring to the course in my post? For lack of capitalization?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #869 on: December 20, 2018, 01:06:42 PM »
Ha. I actually find this argument stimulating and informative, as opposed to that thread..

ETA: Apologies in advance for making 3 separate posts.
ETA P.S. Apologies in advance for saying apologies in advance.
ETA P.P.S Apologies again.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: December 20, 2018, 01:06:52 PM »

2) You make a valid point, although I still think it's defensible. I'll advance one possibility: In the comment, I could have been referring to the "Spelling and Grammar" of the course offered by my college, although perhaps "spelling" and "grammar" should then have been capitalized 😂 . Additionally, I believe that spelling and grammar have been lumped together in common use often enough to become one unit.

What does your college course being atrocious have to do with the Chinese seller?

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #871 on: December 20, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »
2) Please name which commas were superfluous. You can reply by posting the sentence without the superfluous commas and we'll see if it's true. I'm withholding judgement for now.

Quote from: S209
In the example cited, “breaking and entering” is similar to my use of “spelling and grammar”- that is separate nouns that by common use (or use in law) have come to be one compound unit.
Or
In the example cited, “breaking and entering” is similar to my use of “spelling and grammar”; separate nouns that by common use (or use in law) have come to be one compound unit.
Or
In the example cited, “breaking and entering” is similar to my use of “spelling and grammar”. That is separate nouns that by common use (or use in law) have come to be one compound unit.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #872 on: December 20, 2018, 01:19:40 PM »
What does your college course being atrocious have to do with the Chinese seller?
The subject matter of my course, as applied to this seller

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: December 20, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »
OrOr
The teacher gave you an assignment?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #874 on: December 20, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »

Examples 1 and 3 are not proper English. In Example 2 you omitted some of my original words. It would have been a nice way of conveying my point, but the words were not identical.

Still waiting..  :P

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #875 on: December 20, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »
The context of your comment is clear. Trying to say you could have been referring to a college course makes the comment so incomprehensibly nonsensical, it would be worthy of a permanent ban on public communication. The context of your comment makes common use irrelevant. Even if they are lumped together often enough to become a compound noun at times, in your case they were clearly independent nouns.
3) For one with such command of the English language, this is surprising. The structure of your last sentence is both incorrect and incomprehensible, which could (ironically) have been remedied with an additional comma instead of a period following "referring to". Unless this was a "spell-check" moment? (Notice how the common usage of the word spell-check denotes checking both spelling AND grammar. Another point for me.)
To write a lengthy diatribe defending myself and trying to reclaim my reputation or acknowledge it was not well written?

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: December 20, 2018, 01:28:42 PM »
To write a lengthy diatribe defending myself and trying to reclaim my reputation or acknowledge it was not well written?

Does this get a question mark?

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #877 on: December 20, 2018, 01:35:55 PM »
Examples 1 and 3 are not proper English.
{citation needed}
In Example 2 you omitted some of my original words. It would have been a nice way of conveying my point, but the words were not identical.
Of course I did. You did such a piss poor job writing the sentence I showed you a superior way. I wouldn't usually, but you acknowledged your sentence was comma heavy and clunky and practically begged to be corrected.
Still waiting..  :P
I met a guy waiting for a train. Turns out we were both heading to Kingston Avenue. The 3 train came, and as I walked towards the doors I noticed he was standing still. "This is our train," I said, motioning for him to join me. "I'm waiting for a a 3 train with leather seats and green hand rails." He just invented his own criteria.

He's also still waiting.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 20, 2018, 02:35:54 PM »
The subject matter of my course, as applied to this seller
How exactly does that make any sense at all? You are digging your hole deeper.
I feel for them, although the grammar and spelling is ATROCIOUS

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Memories last forever, make them while you can.