Author Topic: The halachic propriety of selling airline miles and credit card points  (Read 12066 times)

Offline robesrones

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
In a letter to the editor of this week's Mishpacha magazine, the writer alleged that poskim have stated their opinion that selling miles and credit card points is assur. A dayan told me over Shabbas that the issue is that the airlines and credit cards state in their Terms and Conditions that the points are forbidden to be sold. This, in effect, means that the points were given al tenai, and using them in a way that violates the terms and conditions means that you are using something that no longer belongs to you, which is gezel.

I would appreciate it if someone could direct me to a thread that addresses this and other related issues, specifically about selling points.

Thank you very much.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
In a letter to the editor of this week's Mishpacha magazine, the writer alleged that poskim have stated their opinion that selling miles and credit card points is assur. A dayan told me over Shabbas that the issue is that the airlines and credit cards state in their Terms and Conditions that the points are forbidden to be sold. This, in effect, means that the points were al tenai, and using them in a way that violates the terms and conditions means that you are using something that no longer belongs to you, which is gezel.

I would appreciate it if someone could direct me to a thread that addresses this and other related issues, specifically about selling points.

Thank you very much.
Given al tenai? really?

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Given al tenai? really?
Why is that so shocking?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
In a letter to the editor of this week's Mishpacha magazine, the writer alleged that poskim have stated their opinion that selling miles and credit card points is assur.
just as a side note, there was no mention of those specific things in the letter.

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
Wouldn't it have to be a t'nai cuful?

Offline mnscout

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
In a letter to the editor of this week's Mishpacha magazine, the writer alleged that poskim have stated their opinion that selling miles and credit card points is assur. A dayan told me over Shabbas that the issue is that the airlines and credit cards state in their Terms and Conditions that the points are forbidden to be sold. This, in effect, means that the points were given al tenai, and using them in a way that violates the terms and conditions means that you are using something that no longer belongs to you, which is gezel.

Thank you very much.

Direct you I can't, but you absolutely cannot legally sell them, trade them, or gift them, and by legally I mean when the travel provider in question doesn't get his cut. There are ways, like with approved Points.com, but it rarely is a good deal. There are also plentiful illegal ways, but you do run a risk of getting your account frozen and the reminder of your miles confiscated.

Offline benchik

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Direct you I can't, but you absolutely cannot legally sell them, trade them, or gift them, and by legally I mean when the travel provider in question doesn't get his cut. There are ways, like with approved Points.com, but it rarely is a good deal. There are also plentiful illegal ways, but you do run a risk of getting your account frozen and the reminder of your miles confiscated.

Not at all.

It is not illegal to sell miles. It is against the airlines' terms and conditions.

That's an important distinction.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
It is not illegal to sell miles. It is against the airlines' terms and conditions.

I agree, but it may not be nearly as important in the context of halacha.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Lou Bob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Not at all.

but if I give you something on condition that only you can use it/benefit from it, can you sell it halachically? You did agree to the terms
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Offline Excalibur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I've been told mutar by two poskim

Offline mow

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Which 2

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline robesrones

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
does anybody know of a tachlis thread on this ?

Offline SamKey

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
Wouldn't it have to be a t'nai cuful?
No

Offline dirah

• View Profile
Thank you very much.
Interesting.
Kinyanim and Ba'alus don't apply to intangibles.
[That is why the idea of intellectual property in Halacha is far from simple.]
And I think it likely can be argued that airline points are intangibles.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
It is really interesting the way we get around things.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Airline points never belong to you.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
Airline points never belong to you.
And therefore...?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
It is really interesting the way we get around things.
Let me be clear.
I am not advocating getting around things.
If according to the terms and conditions you shouldn't be doing this, then you shouldn't be doing this.
Being a mench is also abiding by the law of the land (even in those areas where Halacha doesn't require it, it doesn't forbid it either,) and similarly, abiding by the terms and conditions of programs you sign up for.
[If anyone disagrees, continue that discussion in "Is it ethical" - I don't check that thread, but CV will set  you straight :).]
I am just discussing whether it is Halachic or not.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
And don't say your way of answering a shailah is the only way ::)
Sorry, didn't mean it that way ... I corrected it.