Author Topic: Applied for Chase Ink and Chase Closed my Oldest Personal Card in it's place!!!  (Read 3338 times)

Offline PacoDeGato

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
WTF?!

Has anyone ever had this happen to them before? I had 3 Chase personal cards active and no business cards. I had the No Annual Fee Chase Freedom, which I've had for probably close to 10 years, then I had a relatively new Chase British Airways and a Chase United, both with annual fees and both less than a year old.

Today I received my new Chase Ink in the mail, but in a separate envelope from Chase Business Services I got a notice that they closed my Chase Freedom account because they felt I had enough credit with them in total. I was never contacted or given any option, so they just closed my only No Annual Fee card, which also happened to be the oldest credit card I had for any bank.

Sucks...I sent a secure message complaining, but I think it is probably too late to do anything.

PDG

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
I had a Amazon card which i closed a while ago when i applied for the BA visa but on online banking it was still showing CL, payment due etc. since i was approved for the ink last week it all shows as N/A

Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
WTF?!

Has anyone ever had this happen to them before? I had 3 Chase personal cards active and no business cards. I had the No Annual Fee Chase Freedom, which I've had for probably close to 10 years, then I had a relatively new Chase British Airways and a Chase United, both with annual fees and both less than a year old.

Today I received my new Chase Ink in the mail, but in a separate envelope from Chase Business Services I got a notice that they closed my Chase Freedom account because they felt I had enough credit with them in total. I was never contacted or given any option, so they just closed my only No Annual Fee card, which also happened to be the oldest credit card I had for any bank.

Sucks...I sent a secure message complaining, but I think it is probably too late to do anything.

PDG

IF LESS than 30 days since they closed , they can re open -- ask them to open , even if with a small credit line so u can keep the history -- 2nd choice offer to close  another account that is relatively new that u would be closing in future and transfer c.l.

Offline Homeandl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
WTF?!

I couldn't find that in the Acronyms Thread   ;)

I got a notice that they closed my Chase Freedom account because they felt I had enough credit with them in total

Chase has been known to close accounts completely out of the blue in cases such as yours, However I still think you should call them up, I've heard of people being successful in having their account restored after answering income questions.

Its definitely worth a shot.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
@OP, definitely worth calling Chase.

Please report back with results of your efforts, good luck!
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline PacoDeGato

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Okay, I'll give them a call and let everyone know what happens.

In the secure message I sent right after I logged in to see if they really closed my Freedom I did ask them to reinstate the Freedom with even a small credit line of a couple thousand that they could take from any other account, so I'll see if that works first.

If they deny, I'll call--should know within a couple days.

Thanks!

Offline PacoDeGato

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
I couldn't find that in the Acronyms Thread   ;)

Well, Phil Dunphy would tell you "Why the face?"... but I meant something else entirely!

I'm also aware that you were joking, but wanted to throw out the Modern Family reference anyway.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
it is a known  fact  that chase reviews credit profiles regularly and will close  cards if they see too many inquiries or if you are a desparate bonus hungry/
blogger MMS had THREE of his existing chase cards shut down  without any warning.

Offline PacoDeGato

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Well, in fairness I have had a handful of Chase cards in the past year, so I do understand. My only real concern was that they targeted my oldest card.

If they don't reinstate it, that's fine too, but it doesn't hurt to ask. What I started doing about 6 months ago was applying for a NAF card from more obscure local type banks that I plan on keeping open indefinitely for the history. TBH, I don't get much benefit from the Freedom card and wouldn't have kept it other than for the fact it was my oldest card.

I'd much rather have the extra account/extra credit availability with Chase to use towards other offerings, which I will have if they refuse to reinstate.

As you might be able to see, I'm kind of torn about whether to realllly try hard to get it back. I did the secure message, I'll probably give them a quick call, but I won't press it.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I only started with the credit card bonus hunting about a year or a little more ago, so there were a lot of apps to try to get in every several months. Now that I've hit many of the big bonuses, I doubt I'll be doing nearly as much in the future. I'll still apply for a handful of cards per year, but that's probably about it.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
Do not give up early -- that card u said was 10 years old?-- if so -- it is important to keep open , it will help u in many ways to get other cards -- I would fight for it --even if only with  a $500 line

Offline Homeandl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I forgot to ask what happened to the UR in that freedom account? Were you able to hold on to it ?

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
I forgot to ask what happened to the UR in that freedom account? Were you able to hold on to it ?

i would not keep points in freedom acct-- i always transfer to u.r. as earned

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
IF LESS than 30 days since they closed , they can re open -- ask them to open , even if with a small credit line so u can keep the history -- 2nd choice offer to close  another account that is relatively new that u would be closing in future and transfer c.l.
+1
Just make sure to tell them you do NOT want a credit pull (they once pulled my credit for reinstating a card  >:( )

Offline PacoDeGato

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
UPDATE:

My secure message worked because Chase moved $6000 back from my new Ink card to my Freedom card.

As far as the UR points that were on the Freedom when it was deactivated (I only had about 250 on there because I move them over every couple of months and don't use the card much), I was unable to consolidate them when the card was deactivated. I think I could have called in and done it, but I decided to wait to see if Chase would reactivate the card.

So, long story short--Chase let me keep my most senior account open, which I suppose is a good thing, especially when most of my other cards have a very short history.

I do not yet know if they did an additional credit pull for the reactivation--I hope they did not!

PDG

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
UPDATE:

My secure message worked because Chase moved $6000 back from my new Ink card to my Freedom card.

As far as the UR points that were on the Freedom when it was deactivated (I only had about 250 on there because I move them over every couple of months and don't use the card much), I was unable to consolidate them when the card was deactivated. I think I could have called in and done it, but I decided to wait to see if Chase would reactivate the card.

So, long story short--Chase let me keep my most senior account open, which I suppose is a good thing, especially when most of my other cards have a very short history.

I do not yet know if they did an additional credit pull for the reactivation--I hope they did not!

PDG

Well done, thanks for reporting back.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline mordyl19

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • Work Website
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold,
Well, Phil Dunphy would tell you "Why the face?"... but I meant something else entirely!

I'm also aware that you were joking, but wanted to throw out the Modern Family reference anyway.
Well said
I am not 100% sure about this. But I am going to click it anyway.

Offline avremie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
(almost) the same thing happened to me i just got a letter that i was approved for a ink card for 5k but they took away 5k from another card.