Author Topic: speeding ticket  (Read 6954 times)

Offline YSP

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: speeding ticket
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »
It used to be that most states did not transfer because the information had to be mailed but now with Internet and technology they can update everything in real time. Same holds true for tickets transferring to other states for insurance.

Offline ahecht37

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
lawyer told me it will transfer, but to see if I can get it changed to a ticket for inattentive driving as it is a ticket in WI but to see if it is a violation in ny (as he said he has done for residents of IL)

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 05:54:33 AM »
lawyer told me it will transfer, but to see if I can get it changed to a ticket for inattentive driving as it is a ticket in WI but to see if it is a violation in ny (as he said he has done for residents of IL)
How do you know when a lawyer is lying? When he opens his mouth!

Offline citiguy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 12:22:32 AM »
"Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec."

officially they're supposed to...got ticketed in montreal for going 50 mph in a 50 kph zone, but insurance never found out

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 08:18:20 AM »
officially they're supposed to...got ticketed in montreal for going 50 mph in a 50 kph zone, but insurance never found out
Did the DMV find it? I was quoting the DMV.

Offline citiguy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 05:06:18 PM »
Did the DMV find it? I was quoting the DMV.

oh, no idea...

there's an extra $300 fine by NYS if you get over 3 points in a year.....definitely worth removing them 

Offline DG

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 11:41:43 PM »
oh, no idea...

there's an extra $300 fine by NYS if you get over 3 points in a year.....definitely worth removing them 

The $300 fine is for 6 points in 18 months as per http://www.dmv.ny.gov/drp.htm

Offline citiguy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 09:33:47 AM »
corrected

Offline ahecht37

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
anyone here a traffic lawyer in ny, or just know if there is a violation called "inattentive driving" (in ny?)

Offline raphy781

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »
anyone here a traffic lawyer in ny, or just know if there is a violation called "inattentive driving" (in ny?)
It seems there is.
http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/A1263-2013

Offline ahecht37

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »
It seems there is.
http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/A1263-2013
it didn't seem like there are any points for this... do you think my insurance will go up if I get my ticket switched to this?

Offline YSP

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »
it didn't seem like there are any points for this... do you think my insurance will go up if I get my ticket switched to this?
A lot of companies just look at tickets regardless if there are any points associated with it.

Offline ahecht37

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »
not really expecting anything, but if anyone knows of a violation that exists in WI that does not in NY; I would greatly appreciate it,

Offline ahecht37

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »
I was offered a stipulation, that if I agree to a violation of speeding at 1-10 over the speed limit I would only get 3 points, but the fine would go up to $389.50 (from 276.10 and 6 points) I need to fax in my signature on the stipulation by tomorrow 11am if I want to accept the deal.
anyone have any advice? I think that this is the best deal that I will get

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 02:51:59 AM »
I know I may be a few days late for you, but here is the deal.
The ticket would have really cost you $685, and now it will only cost you $385 in fines. It was always  $300 for the speed, $80 surcharge, and $300 state fee.

Now if you plead it down to 3 points, you will only have to pay $385. You never took the court surcharge into account.

Getting the speed does to 3 points is half, is not a bad reduction for representing yourself. You could have hired a attorney to get it reduced to no points, but that really depends on the area you got the ticket. Some Courts will offer you as little as a 2 point reduction, some courts will offer no reduction, and some courts will dismiss it for $150 "application fee" or a more expensive parking ticket. Which Court was this ticket assigned to?

One dirty little secret is that when you plead to a moving violation, the state collects the whole fine except for the surcharge. When you plead guilty to a non moving violation like a parking ticket which does not go on your license, the town/village gets the whole fee.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:19:10 AM by Dan »

Offline avrumy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »
Got 2 tickets in Staten Island (on 2 dif occasions). I hired a lawyer. 1)anyone have any experience fighting a ticket in staten island? 2)I have a nj license- can the state of new york suspend my driving privileges in NY with these 2 tickets (if plea guilty) even though i have a NJ license? 3)the layer claims that teh 3 yrs start from teh date of the ticket being issued and not form the date of the plea of guilty. anyone know if that is true?  Thanks

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2013, 05:43:15 PM »
Got 2 tickets in Staten Island (on 2 dif occasions). I hired a lawyer. 1)anyone have any experience fighting a ticket in staten island? 2)I have a nj license- can the state of new york suspend my driving privileges in NY with these 2 tickets (if plea guilty) even though i have a NJ license? 3)the layer claims that teh 3 yrs start from teh date of the ticket being issued and not form the date of the plea of guilty. anyone know if that is true?  Thanks
The State of NY can revoke your license in the state of NY if you receive more then 6 points in 1 shot even if you have a NJ license. And I believe the 3 years start from the issue date.

Offline avrumy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 05:51:15 PM »
The State of NY can revoke your license in the state of NY if you receive more then 6 points in 1 shot even if you have a NJ license. And I believe the 3 years start from the issue date.
Thank you for your response. when you say 6 points in 1 shot- this is 2 separate tickets- do you mean 6 in each ticket by it self?

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 10:42:28 AM »

1. Staten Island has a %95 conviction rate. For the other %5 inbox me.
2. NY can suspend your NY driving privileges regardless of the actions NJ takes against you, which is 2 points per ticket.
3. NY will suspend you for a total of 11 points which 18 months from the date of violation, however if you take a defensive driver's program and provide proof the NY your total can go up to 14 points, which I ope is more than the 2 tickets you have right now?
4. The 3 year this is for insurance and starts from the date of conviction. The 18 months for DMV suspensions starts from the date of violation. 

If you need chapter and verse inbox me.

Offline avrumy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 10:57:46 AM »
1. Staten Island has a %95 conviction rate. For the other %5 inbox me.
2. NY can suspend your NY driving privileges regardless of the actions NJ takes against you, which is 2 points per ticket.
3. NY will suspend you for a total of 11 points which 18 months from the date of violation, however if you take a defensive driver's program and provide proof the NY your total can go up to 14 points, which I ope is more than the 2 tickets you have right now?
4. The 3 year this is for insurance and starts from the date of conviction. The 18 months for DMV suspensions starts from the date of violation. 

If you need chapter and verse inbox me.
Thank you very much for your answer. Greatly appreciated. I am just thinking- there may be no gain by hiring a lawyer if the success rate is very low? So my best bet would be to plea guilty and take defensive course to reduce the points?