Edward Snowden...

Hero
31 (40.3%)
Villain
27 (35.1%)
Attention seeker
19 (24.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Edward Snowden Hero or Villain?  (Read 21821 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Edward Snowden Hero or Villain?
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »
I think that Americans (myself included) need to come to terms with the fact that in this day and age, with the thread of Islamic terrorism at every turn, the government will not be able to protect us AND keep our privacy.

The reality is that we need to choose one way or the other.

Islamics are not fighting a traditional war with uniforms. They have mastered the art of "blending in" with mainstream society, and there is absolutely no way to differentiate between terrorist and civilian. You have "political correctness" to thank for this.

That said, for the NSA to find them, they need to find you too. Your next door neighbor may be a terrorist, and the ONLY way for the NSA to find out and to protect YOU from HIM is to search his records.

Now, it's uncomfortable, and if you believe that our government can suddenly become like Nazi Germany, it's dangerous. But then again, would you rather the NSA back off and let YOU find the terrorists instead?

You can bet your bottom dollar that every country with half a brain is doing the same thing, except that there has not yet been a whistleblower.
Your point would be up for debate in a world where computers are smart enough to sift through all the mountains of data to find some useful information. The way things are now, the government is stuck with a $#!t load of data, and nothing but clumsy algorithms that don't fit the real world. Computers look at patterns, problem is that people don't fit into patterns, and any time someone steps out of a pattern he is labeled suspicious by the algorithm while the Terrorists, who are smart enough to fool the algorithms go undetected.
What ends up happening is that we are left without privacy AND without security.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »
What I would propose is legislation that the government cannot use this information against you in a court of law, as it has been obtained without warrant. (I.e. it can be used to catch terrorists, but, if along the way they find a person dealing drugs, they will not be able to use their email or phone records in court).
Isn't that existing law?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »
The reality is that we need to choose one way or the other.
lol, I don't remember that option on my last ballot. Fact is the Government makes these decisions without us. That is where the problem lies.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2013, 04:20:21 PM »
lol, I don't remember that option on my last ballot. Fact is the Government makes these decisions without us. That is where the problem lies.
+1
That, and that it's all done in secret without oversight and regulation.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »
Honestly I don't think I know enough or ever will know enough to make an informed decision.
This is the catch 22. The same could be said for the rest of us.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2013, 08:03:23 PM »

The choice was hypothetical. Would you want to have it the other way?

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2013, 08:04:33 PM »
Isn't that existing law?

Yes, but I don't know how it would apply here, as in this case the NSA obtained a "bulk" warrant for all information.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2013, 08:05:56 PM »
Yes, but I don't know how it would apply here, as in this case the NSA obtained a "bulk" warrant for all information.
Maybe that's part of the problem?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
The choice was hypothetical. Would you want to have it the other way?
I'm torn whether I like a representative democracy or a pure democracy.

Probably leaning towards the latter. So the answer would be yes I'd like to make those choices. If you care to elect me I'd be glad to serve.

Offline LeeW

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »
Of course I heard that argument. If someone wants to compare a so called democracy that was in its infancy to the democracy we have now there is not much to say.

I'm not sure why you differentiate between Germany in the 1930's and the US today, both were fully functioning democracies.
Regardless, there are numerous examples of this ocurring in America. In the 1930's it was perfectly legal to be Japanese in America. In 1942, not so much. In the 40's it was perfectly legal to be part of certain clubs. Enter the McCarthy years and any connection to certain clubs was grounds for an arrest.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2013, 10:03:18 PM »
I'm not sure why you differentiate between Germany in the 1930's and the US today, both were fully functioning democracies.
Regardless, there are numerous examples of this ocurring in America. In the 1930's it was perfectly legal to be Japanese in America. In 1942, not so much. In the 40's it was perfectly legal to be part of certain clubs. Enter the McCarthy years and any connection to certain clubs was grounds for an arrest.

But then, by your examples one can argue that democracies tend to correct themselves when they go too far.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2013, 01:01:16 AM »
Do you believe a one year old and a 20 year old have the same thought process? You are trying to compare a democracy that is over 200 years old to one that is less than 15. No one said our democracy is perfect. It is the best we have so get use to it. Anyone that is not happy with it please don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2013, 02:24:29 AM »
Do you believe a one year old and a 20 year old have the same thought process? You are trying to compare a democracy that is over 200 years old to one that is less than 15. No one said our democracy is perfect. It is the best we have so get use to it. Anyone that is not happy with it please don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
Your funny, but you may have forgotten a democracy is made up by the people, and if a vast majority agree to change that democracies constitution, it would be, well, democratic.

So saying leave if you don't like it is silly. If you don't like it you should share your ideas and try to have others join your cause. There are many governing entities that would say "if you don't like it leave", but I don't think democracy is one of them.

It seems to me you think the US is a democratic monarchy.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2013, 03:01:53 AM »
So saying leave if you don't like it is silly. If you don't like it you should share your ideas and try to have others join your cause. There are many governing entities that would say "if you don't like it leave", but I don't think democracy is one of them.
This is why our democracy works. We both get to express our opinions.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »
This is why our democracy works. We both get to express our opinions.
+1

And that's why:
Democracies tend to correct themselves when they go too far.

When something outrageous happens, The People don't have to resign themselves to saying "that's how it is", they are allowed to get outraged and do something about it.

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »
I find it funny that people care so much about the government having their info, but not the sites/companies that the government is getting the info from (Facebook, Google, Microsoft, etc.). For the vast majority of people it makes no difference.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2013, 02:16:23 PM »
I find it funny that people care so much about the government having their info, but not the sites/companies that the government is getting the info from (Facebook, Google, Microsoft, etc.). For the vast majority of people it makes no difference.
the main diff. is that regarding the private sector it's "voluntary" even though they use some questionable tactics to get your consent (just look at all the government reg. that they must specifically ask for it and not just assume that u agree bec. u are using thier product.
Then again, behind every big bad government , is a big bad corporation.

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
the main diff. is that regarding the private sector it's "voluntary" even though they use some questionable tactics to get your consent (just look at all the government reg. that they must specifically ask for it and not just assume that u agree bec. u are using thier product.
Then again, behind every big bad government , is a big bad corporation.

My point was more than people don't mind that they're giving all this info to some company. I'm not saying that hey necessarily should care, but it's a bit incongruous.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »
"Top U.S. intelligence officials said Saturday that information gleaned from two controversial data-collection programs run by the National Security Agency thwarted potential terrorist plots in the U.S. and more than 20 other countries — and that gathered data is destroyed every five years.

Last year, fewer than 300 phone numbers were checked against the database of millions of U.S. phone records gathered daily by the NSA in one of the programs, the intelligence officials said in arguing that the programs are far less sweeping than their detractors allege."