Author Topic: Gaza Tunnels  (Read 6055 times)

Offline Flatbush

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Gaza Tunnels
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2023, 02:15:42 PM »
Whether we stay in for Tehillim or not, let us put a little more meaning into the words מוֹצִיא אֲסִירִים when we say them in עֶזְרַת אֲבוֹתֵֽינוּ in the morning right before שמונה עשרה and let us daven and beg Hashem to free the hostages knowing that He is the מוֹצִיא אֲסִירִים.
רָם וְנִשָּׂא גָּדוֹל וְנוֹרָא מַשְׁפִּיל גֵּאִים וּמַגְבִּֽיהַּ שְׁפָלִים מוֹצִיא אֲסִירִים וּפוֹדֶה עֲנָוִים וְעוֹזֵר דַּלִּים וְעוֹנֶה לְעַמּוֹ בְּעֵת שַׁוְּ֒עָם אֵלָיו

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2023, 03:57:21 PM »
Having been in yeshivas with weekly a mussar shmooze as a child and adult as well as yeshivas with chassidus and farbrangens, I have the benefit of seeing both approaches to tragedies.

I think the supporters of a trip report like that are in general fans of a firey mussar shmooze and that is likely where the disconnect is coming in.

And while like I said, I dislike it, on a personal level, I can respect others love for how it stirs up their own emotions.

Bottom line, if I really disliked it enough I would have deleted it, but I love the different approaches and how DDF is a place for many people from different backgrounds have a space and opportunity to express themselves and their feelings in a place that others can choose to agree or disagree through generally healthy dialog.
I guess everyone has their perspective. This is what I might call a Mussar shmuz and probably not a very effective one either:
https://thelakewoodscoop.com/news/letter-have-we-become-immune/
A fiery Mussar shmuz is meant for an audience that is receptive. The difference between the way Rav Matisyahu Salamon spoke to the talmidim in yeshiva and to the women outside of yeshiva was night and day.

IIRC a Rav once complained to the Chofetz Chaim that he gives תוכחה in his town and no one pays him any heed. He might as well be screaming at the wall. The Chofetz Chaim asked him “when you shake lulav do you yell and scream to perform the mitzvah? The mitzvah of תוכחה is no different.” The mitzvah is to do it in the way that is most effective.

As far as the OP it is not a Mussar schmooze, nor am I in a position to give Mussar. It is a gentle somewhat humorous reminder to keep אחינו בני ישראל on our minds in any way that we can. The last couple days I tried not folding my Tallis and Tefillin during Tehillim. An inconsequential act, but at least something to remind myself that it is not just an added part to the tefilla that is part of the routine.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2023, 04:15:35 PM »
Whether we stay in for Tehillim or not, let us put a little more meaning into the words מוֹצִיא אֲסִירִים when we say them in עֶזְרַת אֲבוֹתֵֽינוּ in the morning right before שמונה עשרה and let us daven and beg Hashem to free the hostages knowing that He is the מוֹצִיא אֲסִירִים.
רָם וְנִשָּׂא גָּדוֹל וְנוֹרָא מַשְׁפִּיל גֵּאִים וּמַגְבִּֽיהַּ שְׁפָלִים מוֹצִיא אֲסִירִים וּפוֹדֶה עֲנָוִים וְעוֹזֵר דַּלִּים וְעוֹנֶה לְעַמּוֹ בְּעֵת שַׁוְּ֒עָם אֵלָיו

Totally. I shared similar sentiments here:

Extra kavanah in davening when saying מתיר אסורים in ברכות השחר and in שמונה עשרה, both thanking Hashem for the hostages already released, and davening for those still in captivity, may they be released soon.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2023, 05:49:17 PM »
Just briefly skimmed through all this so don't know if something like this was said, but basically, if life in america is continuing as normal in the sense that we all have seder and work and school, etc.. that in the past has needed a vacation to recoup and refresh to continue doing so, then why is it different now? Assuming what you're doing is within the torah framework, we need to do what we need to do to help ourselves be functional human beings. It would definitely seem appropriate to formulate the trip around something meaningful or not being completely leitzanus as if nothing is going on, but if someone goes to florida every year for january break because thats where they feel they will get energy to keep going until pesach, so be it, especially being an ibur yar and everyone having an extra month.

People can take this situation as they feel, but for all intents and purposes, the war is Bli Eyin Hara not going on in America, and while we have to feel for those suffering we also have to appreciate that we are not those people. And their situation is not our situation to live out for ourselves but rather to daven for them and feel their pain. Not superfically, really feel their pain because we're all brothers. But BH we have a vacation and we have a responsibility to keep ourselves and our families functioning. So enjoy but don't forget about what is going on

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2023, 08:37:34 AM »
Sorry to be blunt but this was never about איסור תשמיש.

you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2023, 11:42:56 AM »
The attackers of October 7th have been repelled and no longer present an imminent danger.
Rockets are still being fired daily.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2023, 11:44:17 AM »

This was the picture on the front page of the Jerusalem Post today.
It hit home for me.

True, its maybe its bec I identify better with his story (young couple, young children, pregnent wife...) than a single soldier, or I havent seen the news in a few days...

If you find that your tehillim/davening is getting stale after a almost three months... - find someone whos story you connect to - a captive, displaced family, soldier... and keep a picture in your wallet. Take it out at the end of davening... and see if the tehillim isnt different...

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2023, 03:57:19 PM »

This was the picture on the front page of the Jerusalem Post today.
It hit home for me.

True, its maybe its bec I identify better with his story (young couple, young children, pregnent wife...) than a single soldier, or I havent seen the news in a few days...

If you find that your tehillim/davening is getting stale after a almost three months... - find someone whos story you connect to - a captive, displaced family, soldier... and keep a picture in your wallet. Take it out at the end of davening... and see if the tehillim isnt different...

What is this pic about?

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2023, 07:14:50 PM »
What is this pic about?
I assume it's at a funeral