Author Topic: US airways gold for $700?  (Read 2411 times)

Offline shmiel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
US airways gold for $700?
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:18:50 PM »
I have $700 in US airways vouchers which expire in early August. Just wondering if it's possible to use the full amount for one or more MR just to get status.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: US airways gold for $700?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
 only 1 problem as far as I can see, since Gold = flying 50,000 actual miles youd have an Extremely hard time coming up with anything that will get you that for $700. Heck Silver is 25,000 and I cant even think how you could do that for $700

Im trying to do UA 1k = 100,000 for as close to $4000 as possible which would mean $2000 for Gold and $1000 for Silver

you are basically wanting to do 50k @ .014 per EQM , last yr with DEQM it was probably possible but I dont see it this year especially with the planes being full and very few MRs out there at all Silver for $700 or .028 per EQM has a chance but youd probably have to reposition yourself out of the NY area and that will cost you some $$

Offline shmiel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »
only 1 problem as far as I can see, since Gold = flying 50,000 actual miles youd have an Extremely hard time coming up with anything that will get you that for $700. Heck Silver is 25,000 and I cant even think how you could do that for $700

Im trying to do UA 1k = 100,000 for as close to $4000 as possible which would mean $2000 for Gold and $1000 for Silver

you are basically wanting to do 50k @ .014 per EQM , last yr with DEQM it was probably possible but I dont see it this year especially with the planes being full and very few MRs out there at all Silver for $700 or .028 per EQM has a chance but youd probably have to reposition yourself out of the NY area and that will cost you some $$
thanks steve2 i was wondering about using the $700 toward hops, skips, and jumps i just can't seem to figure it out. every one way flight booked seperately)would count? I even tried calling US but I got someone in the phillipines who seemed to know less than me. any clue if that would work since i think i can pull off 8 flights for $700

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:15:21 PM »
thanks steve2 i was wondering about using the $700 toward hops, skips, and jumps i just can't seem to figure it out. every one way flight booked seperately)would count? I even tried calling US but I got someone in the phillipines who seemed to know less than me. any clue if that would work since i think i can pull off 8 flights for $700

1- it depends where those flights are from and to, If Im correct US doesnt give non-Elites a min of 500 per segment but only the actual miles flown so if its 180 PHL-DCA then thats what you get and not 500

or are you gonna try and get silver by segments instead of miles?

doing a bunch of stops doesnt really make that much of a difference depends on the routing so a EWR-IAH-SNA didnt give me much more then a EWR-SNA did, meaning it doesnt always make sense to do a bunch of stops unless the mileage will be alot more. Sometimes doing an Intl run will yield more but US isnt that great into Europe

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:35:34 PM »
If you credit your miles to Aegeanair, you'll only need 19k (you get 1k for signing up) for *G.
Do you davkeh want US Gold?

Offline shmiel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:51:09 AM »
If you credit your miles to Aegeanair, you'll only need 19k (you get 1k for signing up) for *G.
Do you davkeh want US Gold?
yeah US is not nogeah. I was trying to use their confusing hop, skip, and jump to status but they only allow any region to be counted once. (eg. if i book phl-mke @ $87-i would get 1 'hop' then the whole na east region is used up and i cant book a, let's say phl-pit for another hop)which makes it practically impossible to get the 8 hops, skips or jumps needed for US gold. but i don't really care for US its all about *G i just had the vouchers with them. Do you know if all flights get min 500 EQM when flying on US if i was crediting the mile to Aegean. I realize $700 would probably not cut it even for the 19k just trying to work out how much more it would cost.

Offline shmiel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:54:41 AM »
i noticed this post has been moved. sorry to the mods for the inconvenience

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 04:05:21 AM »
If you are flying and crediting miles to Aegean then you wont get 500 mile min. However, you will get 100% mileage accrual.
UA and CO both get min. 500 miles but the discount economy only earns 50% miles flown.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 07:24:44 AM »
A1 aussie, and don't forget that a european *A G is more useful than a usa one for lounge access on domestic flights.

Go on usairways.com, look out for promos flying anywhere. (Possibly it might be worth to add a bit of money, to either travel to a much further place, or a place that you will actually enjoy), and credit to aegean.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 11:01:18 AM »
You should be able to get 19K EQM's on US for $700 to get *G via Aegean.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »
A1 aussie, and don't forget that a european *A G is more useful than a usa one for lounge access on domestic flights.

Go on usairways.com, look out for promos flying anywhere. (Possibly it might be worth to add a bit of money, to either travel to a much further place, or a place that you will actually enjoy), and credit to aegean.
European *G is more useful for lounge access, but less useful for upgrades.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline deals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 12:25:45 PM »
European *G is more useful for lounge access, but less useful for upgrades.

how big is the chance for a upgrade

Offline interested

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 12:59:25 AM »
if your sole aim of using this credit is to gain *G so that you can lounge access, why dont you sell the credit, and with the cash pay for a platinum amex, which would give you lounge access on all alliances and on domestic floghts as well.