Topic Wiki

This is primarily a summary from messages on this board. Feel free to revise/correct. I take no responsibility for errors/accuracy.

There are various options for parking at JFK, with a trade-off between higher convenience/security and higher price.

Starting with most convenient and most expensive:
•   On site Airport Parking at JFK is expensive (Long-term parking starts at $29/day, and can be $36, $70, $75, depending on the lot). (You need to take into account some time to take the AirTrain from parking to your destination terminal but that is pretty quick).
•   There are many off-airport parking lot options a few minutes away (offering frequent shuttle, more security than on street parking, though only two are officially authorized: Smartpark JFK, and Airpark JFK. Spothero currently has parking at the crowne plaza for $18/ day.
o   Note: Beware some of these off-airport parking lots will charge a surcharge for a large car e.g. Minivan, (on top of typical $25/day) and that’s not always stated upfront when reserving online). Some have absolutely miserable ratings on google. Also there appear to be a lot of bait and switch websites when googling for JFK parking, advertising one rate, but then offering a higher rate, when you enter your information. Remember prices fluctuate and lots can be full.
•   Groupon sometimes has good deals on off-site Airport Parking.

Using AirTrain to get to a cheaper Parking Lot
•   JFK Airport has an AirTrain that passengers use to travel between the 8 airport terminals for free. This AirTrain extends a couple of stops beyond the airport connecting it to NYC tains/public transportation.
•   You can pick up the AirTrain at Federal Circle Station (first stop outside the airport), which has a parking lot ($20/day, prepaid see https://www.jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/parking). Need to reserve 48 hours in advance
o   You can take the AirTrain to/From Howard Beach or Jamaica (though that costs $8 +$1 for a metrocard, as it is well beyond the Airport) (see below regarding on street parking, from those areas).
•   There is currently a parking lot in Jamaica (neighborhood) for $11/day (https://airportparkingreservations.com/lot_jamaica_center_jfk) . It requires two trains or an Uber.

On Street Parking:
There are several neighborhoods 5-20 minutes away from JFK that offer have street parking without (alternate side parking) restrictions (i.e. for weekly street cleaning). So you can park on those streets for more than a week without getting a ticket. (But CHECK the street signs carefully, It may vary from block to block, and may change over time).  The key downsides of street parking are (1)  the extra time to get an Uber/Lyft to the terminal and (2) the cost of the Uber/Lyft. (3) less security of your car. Ideally you want to find a nicer neighborhood where concerns around safety are relatively low.

Some neighborhoods/area used/suggest by DDFers include 
•   Sample address 133-98 150th St, South Ozone Park, NY 11436 (very close)
•   Near the Ohel of Chabad Lubavitch (Montefiore cemetery, Cambria Heights neighborhood (13 minute ride to JFK)  (but don’t park directly in front of the cemetery on the cemetery side, as they may tow cars on certain days e.g. Erev Rosh Hashana, Gimmel Tammuz and Yud Shevat, when there are many visitors to the Ohel. Crown Heights Yagdil Torah community calendar has all Chassidisshe Yomim Toivim marked.). You can park on neighboring side streets without fear of being towed on those days. Aside from Uber/Lyft, you can also catch an MTA bus (Sample address 226-20 Francis Lewis Blvd, Cambria Heights, NY 11411)
•   Howard Beach (and take the AirTrain – for map see https://www.jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train, ride is $8) (There used to be a shul there that offered parking as a chesed / for donations (but that is no longer available) (Sample address 160th ave and 102nd St.) (Address for AirTrain station at Howard Beach is near 158-99 103rd st Queens, NY 11430
•   North Woodmere /
•   Rosedale (Queens) / valley stream (18-20 minute ride) (Sample address 886 Flanders Drive)
•   Cedarhurst / Far Rockaway
•   Near Sanitation Garage (Sample address 15367 146th Ave, Jamaica, NY 11434)
•   Near other Air-Tran stations (Lefferts Blvd), Jamaica.

My understanding is that street parking for an extended period is legal so I don’t think neighbors (who may feel annoyed) have the ability to legally cause trouble (even with out-of-state license), even if it is there for weeks. That said, I suppose they could report it as suspicious (higher risk if the vehicle is conspicuous), and there is always some risk of vandalism.
From NYC311 Link "Unless a posted sign says otherwise, you may not leave a vehicle parked in the same spot for more than seven days in a row. This rule includes spots in all types of neighborhoods, including residential areas."
•   If you know someone who lives in these areas and can park near or in front of their house, (that can be reassuring and be/feel less intrusive). I’ve done this and put a note in the dash with the address of my friend (associating the car with an address on the block, in case anyone on the block got suspicious).
•   For short duration trips (where the cost savings of street parking are more limited), if driving a luxury vehicle, for higher peace of mind; the other alternatives might be more attractive.

Author Topic: Parking at JFK  (Read 136371 times)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: Parking at JFK
« Reply #260 on: July 09, 2019, 05:44:22 PM »
No one has tried this?  It would be only 5$ from Howard Beach station to JFK and would be seemingly cheapest option short of walking
Still alternate side.
I'm not who you think I am.

Online davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 10, 2019, 09:08:36 AM »
Still alternate side.

even a few blocks away?

Online davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 10, 2019, 12:32:05 PM »
looks like on flyer talk plenty of people have done this without issues

Online davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 25, 2019, 05:34:38 PM »
cant see to find exact address for GPs purposes for howard beach air-tran station to JFK(not the MTA subway station)

Online davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 03, 2019, 05:55:38 PM »
Tried it and worked parked near the Howard Beach air train free parking for 2 weeks no alternate side restrictions
$5 each way for air train better than uber!  You could even walk to Lefferts station(next stop) and pay $0

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2019, 07:36:37 AM »
Does it seem like a safe place to leave ur car there for that long?

Offline th0306

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2019, 08:22:17 PM »
Tried it and worked parked near the Howard Beach air train free parking for 2 weeks no alternate side restrictions
$5 each way for air train better than uber!  You could even walk to Lefferts station(next stop) and pay $0

Address or map location please?

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 08, 2019, 08:42:40 PM »
I parked near 160th ave and 102nd St. Although you can park anywhere u find a spot. Start by the station and drive around til u find. I was there 4 nights, no issues. Air train is steady unlike Parking Shuttles. The walk from the AirTrain to Ticketing in T5 was relatively long. From T4 back to Air Train was better.

Online davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 09, 2019, 09:31:44 AM »
I parked near 160th ave and 102nd St. Although you can park anywhere u find a spot. Start by the station and drive around til u find. I was there 4 nights, no issues. Air train is steady unlike Parking Shuttles. The walk from the AirTrain to Ticketing in T5 was relatively long. From T4 back to Air Train was better.

whats T4 and T5? you pay right at the howard beach air train station what walking?

Online davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 09, 2019, 09:32:35 AM »
Does it seem like a safe place to leave ur car there for that long?
not 100% positive but area seemed okay not projects or slums

Online davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 09, 2019, 09:36:13 AM »
Address or map location please?
try this address for air train station 158-99 103rd st
Queens, NY 11430

Offline nucheiner

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 11, 2019, 09:55:49 AM »
not 100% positive but area seemed okay not projects or slums
I can't verify that. But didn't seem too bad. Check Google Street View if you want to get the picture.

Offline nucheiner

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 11, 2019, 10:01:58 AM »
whats T4 and T5? you pay right at the howard beach air train station what walking?
Terminal 4 etc
You pay at Howard Beach station both to enter and to get off there.

Passengers getting dropped off at the terminal enter by ticketing. Passengers arriving by AirTrain have about a five-minute walk until they reach these ticketing counters.

Offline simple26

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 13, 2019, 01:24:50 PM »

I want to try this next week can you please elaborate a bit more on the process ?
(i never used the air train before )
Thank you

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 18, 2019, 01:49:47 PM »
Yes, Do NOT park anywhere on Francis Lewis blvd, Ohel and opposite side, the road is roughed up because of slow construction, my car was towed from 228th st to 222th st, park on 120th Ave anywhere, took me awhile to find my car even after calling the police.

Anyone park near the ohel recently? Looking for this evening for a week.
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 18, 2019, 02:16:10 PM »
Anyone park near the ohel recently? Looking for this evening for a week.
Ohels more for LaGuardia, no?

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 18, 2019, 02:40:58 PM »
Ohels more for LaGuardia, no?
no Ohel is much closer to JFK
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 10, 2019, 05:08:25 PM »
Anyone flying out of jfk for the chag and want me to "park" their car for them, if you PM maybe we can work out a deal.

I know, I should have posted this a few days ago, but who knows, maybe some people want a free stopover in Greece for shabbos...

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 23, 2019, 08:59:17 AM »
Any recent DPs?
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2020, 10:31:25 AM »
Interesting I see uber/Lyft is more expensive from the ohel to JFK then valley stream/north woodmere.. anyone else