Author Topic: Jet Lag  (Read 2716 times)

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Jet Lag
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:26:40 AM »
What do you do to fight it?
For those that dont know,
Jet lag, medically referred to as "desynchronosis," is a physiological condition which is a consequence of alterations to circadian rhythms; it is classified as one of the circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Jet lag results from rapid long-distance transmeridian (east-west or west-east) travel, as on a jet plane. (Wiki)

Offline SuperFlyer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Jet Lag
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:42:09 AM »
If your travel is up to 3 days, normally the jetlag doesn't get to you (tiredness is normal).

For longer stays, I start living immediately according to the current hours, even if very tired. After a day or two, I might take a nap or so to catch up. If I sleep longer, I mess up my night, meaning the following day as well.

Offline ygift

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:34:04 PM »
my experience has been that when i sleep well on the plane (in bus class) i have not had a jet lag problem. If its a night flight from usa to israel iyou arrive late in the day and then i make sure to go to sleep at a normal hr even though you may not be tired since its a 6/7 hr difference. then in the mornong im fine.  if its the afternoon flight arriving in the morning then i make sure not to sleep to much before the flight so that i can fall asleep ion the plane and then ur good to go when u get there
on the return ifits a night flight its even better because ur tired already when u board the plane and its dark the whole way.
i never was able to sleep if im in couch but when flying bus. its great and never had the jet lag

Offline Yellow

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »
If your travel is up to 3 days, normally the jetlag doesn't get to you (tiredness is normal).

For longer stays, I start living immediately according to the current hours, even if very tired. After a day or two, I might take a nap or so to catch up. If I sleep longer, I mess up my night, meaning the following day as well.
+1
When I travel to israel i imediately follow that time zone. Even if i get in at 12 noon and i'm tired i'll stay up till nine in the evening (israeli time) and get  a full night sleep...

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 03:53:29 PM »
upon arrival in israel, very important not to sleep until the night

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 05:12:15 AM »
It seems that having a few beers and going to sleep at 2am doesn't do the trick...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 11:02:22 AM »
It seems that having a few beers and going to sleep at 2am doesn't do the trick...
hahaha!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 05:09:22 AM »
I just read in the AirAsia magazine that flying East to West, you should try to sleep, and West to East, you should try to stay up. I hope I didn't get that backwards.

To me it doesn't make sense, because if you are going on a night flight, you will almost always fall asleep, and on a 11am flight you will almost always be awake, so just do the thing that makes the most sense, and no matter which direction you fly, and how tired or awake you are, go to sleep at midnight the nig you get to a new place and try to sleep till 7. 
-Eli

Offline avi2018

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 04:17:56 AM »
drink a lot of water on the flight.
try to sleep according to the time of your destination while in flight, if this minimizes your sleep time it will probably work better because then the next night (on the ground) you will be even more tired and will be able to go to sleep at a normal time for that time zone. BTW just did it and it worked great.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 05:31:33 PM »

Offline Centurion

• View Profile
  • Programs: spg plat,avis pres ,hertz plat ,AAexcutime, delta plat,hilton gold, united
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 08:43:03 PM »
stay up BEFORE your flight to be on the time zone you are ARRIVING at
you can only make a first impression ONCE

Offline az

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »
whats the tricks regarding infants?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 07:14:55 PM »
The best time for a flight is 6am, so you can work until 3-4 the night before then sleep on the flight. Sadly the first flights from EU to the US are at 08:30, which makes it pretty hard to stay awake. A 6am LHR-JFK would land at 8am and be the best possible for the business travelers.

Then you wonder why the airlines arent making money...
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »
The best time for a flight is 6am, so you can work until 3-4 the night before then sleep on the flight. Sadly the first flights from EU to the US are at 08:30, which makes it pretty hard to stay awake. A 6am LHR-JFK would land at 8am and be the best possible for the business travelers.

Then you wonder why the airlines arent making money...

-1, I know very few people who work like that. My dad flies this route on business 5+ times a year. He loves the evening flight. Gets in a full days work and then a full nights sleep
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »

-1, I know very few people who work like that. My dad flies this route on business 5+ times a year. He loves the evening flight. Gets in a full days work and then a full nights sleep
Evening flight leaves LHR at 20:00. There's nothing later. Thats not a full day of work. And you sleep a full night on the plane only to arrive at 10pm
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 10:23:06 PM »
He works till 530/6, full days work for him. He sleeps a couple of hours on the plane. Then gets a full night in bed
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.