Author Topic: traveling to Hawaii with 4 kids on 9 flights, crossing 12 time zones  (Read 22079 times)

Offline ganizzy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: traveling to Hawaii with 4 kids on 9 flights, crossing 12 time zones
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2013, 11:23:18 AM »
i also pack up the kids with their own bag of food and nosh
additionally i put in, notebook with stickers, crayons and markers. travel games (guess who, trouble)
small easy games/crafts
tried once play dough - kept kids entertained, but made a mess on the plane

and of course laptop, dvd player... with adapter to allow for 2 headphones

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »
Great TR! You are an inspiration to all travelling parents out there...

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »
notebook with stickers, crayons and markers. travel games (guess who, trouble)

You don't know Chuchem's boys...
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline chuchem

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
You don't know Chuchem's boys...

Yep the people that spend a Shabbes by me know them :-)

All these toys keep them busy, but for a very limited time, a PSP or IPAD the flight could take 48 hours

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
Excellent TR!

Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

My favorite part was, by far, the porsche convertible + plane lessons + tierra sur.

Just the right amount of driving to enjoy the porsche, crazy fun activity, and then ending the day by enjoying one of the finest kosher restaurants. A day, indeed.

The amount of time, that goes into planning a trip like this... cant even count. So its really only worth it for ones own trip, as if someone would charge for it, for most people its way to much
Sure, you can plan it within 2-3 hours, if Budget is not a issue. But if you want miles flights, points hotels, discounts on all activities....then it just takes alot of research and effort

One of the reasons my wife like to go on such trips with me, she knows everything is planned perfect and we travel comfortable and stay at nice places. There are no screw ups. The only way of doing this with some sort of a budget, is spending alot of time researching everything. With everything I mean

- how long are the drives
- look into babysitter services before, so I have some quality time with my wife or do some activities that the kids cant do
- what food can I get at what destination
- get a healthy mix of stuff that interest adults and kids
..... and much more

All I can say say + a bajillion.

The amount of time spent to plan these trips is enormous, but as you say, that's the only way my wife trusts me enough to go half way across the world without knowing details.

Well done, mate.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline yoruel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
This should be required reading for wives of DDF members. Before we fly out from NY to Bali with our baby you can bet I will have my wife read this :)
+1

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 07:32:12 PM »
amazing TR! kol hakavod! and as dan said ur truly blessed with a wife who is good to go along!
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2013, 08:33:54 AM »
Stupendous!

Offline Lotofsimcha

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »
Truly a Chuchem !
104 Shabbos meals,24 YomTov meals,+50 other Holiday/big meals. Really you want to know why Im fat ??

ohsleepy1

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2013, 07:42:08 AM »
Something else, I would like to add, that is very important on long flights with kids. I think this will make a huge difference: Make sure they are kept busy, if they are board they get quetshy and then the wife gets unhappy and a nice trip turns into a pain in the a.. shlep. If they are busy, the parents can also relax on the flights, watch a movie and everyone loves it.

A PSP (playstation portable) doesnt cost alot. Kids, especially boys love it. Now if they can play with it every day its nothing special anymore and after a hour they get board. So I only give it to them for trips and its really special for them and they can be busy with it for 12 hours, np. We do this for long car rides (2 hours+ and flights) We travel to Israel alot. With easyjet its cheap from Switzerland and friends ask how can you do this with your kids, my kids are impossible on flights. The wait in the airport and the flights... For us its really not a issue, because the kids love it, as they know finally another chance to play with the PSP.

Another part, that makes its easier each kid has their own little carry on 

http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/357857569/HOT-SALE-CARS-Suitcase-Roller-Trolley-Case-Luggage-Bag-Free-shipping.jpg

Before the flight we will fill it with sandwiches, nosh and other goodies. The kids know, this is their personal food that has to last for the flight, so they dont come every 2 minutes to the parents: I am hungrrrrryyyyy 
Once again its a small thing, but it makes a big difference

I am not saying all kids are the same, but with mine these 2 things make a 10 hour flight easier then watching them at home for 10 hours :-)

We have a 2 year old who won't sit still and you're right, it turns even a 2 hour flight to visit my parents into a pain in the tush. Anyone have suggestions for a 2 yr old? Especially during takeoff & landing when you can't use an iPad. We've tried timing the flight during his nap but usually he doesn't sleep and then he's extra kvetchy.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2013, 07:48:05 AM »

We have a 2 year old who won't sit still and you're right, it turns even a 2 hour flight to visit my parents into a pain in the tush. Anyone have suggestions for a 2 yr old? Especially during takeoff & landing when you can't use an iPad. We've tried timing the flight during his nap but usually he doesn't sleep and then he's extra kvetchy.
color wonder

Offline mmermss

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 07:55:14 AM »

Alot of nosh?
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »

Do you bring a carseat for him?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2015, 03:46:12 AM »
Hey all

more then 2 years have passed since our last trip from ZRH to Hawaii and I always wanted to go back again. The last 2 years we went to Hong Kong/Khao Lak and Singapore/Khao Lak in the summer and had a amazing time. I might finish my trip report, if people have interest in it. Since our last trip we b'h had another boy and are traveling with 5 kids, managing well b'h. As long as you know the limits and dont try to chap areijn to much its fine.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=48327.0

After I saw this deal I could not resist and booked next years summer vacation to Hawaii once again, as we are flying with a paid Business Class Ticket I was able to choose flights without looking for award avail and having to change planes to often

I will take the direct EWR-HNL after stopping a few days in NY to manage the time difference and shop for food. On the way back I will fly  OGG-LAX, as once again I cant travel in one shot to europe with 5 kids and it will allow us to shop a little

We will arrive monday evening to Hawaii and stay until sunday evening 13 days later. My plan was to do the big island until sunday for 6 days and then move to Maui for the last week.

I am not yet sure, were we will be staying on the big island, the Hilton http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/ looks very tempting. They also have a big 2 bedroom suite that can be booked with points. But I might decide to take a villa with a pool, as they are not as expensive on the big island

In Maui I will be staying http://www.westinkaanapali.com/   They have some nice 2 bedroom suites and the resort looks very nice. Can be rented through timeshare owners for about 500 a night

While I read alot in all the master threads, I still have alot to prepare and will be thankful if guys can give me advice

-Selection of islands and times ok?
-Would you stay somewere else?
-Must do with kids and skip with kids?

I will try to update this as soon as my plans have more details, also to show people, that having a few kids doesnt mean you cant travel

Feel free to ask questions, post advice or just say how crazy this trip is with 5  little kids :-)

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2015, 03:55:43 AM »
Hey all

more then 2 years have passed since our last trip from ZRH to Hawaii and I always wanted to go back again. The last 2 years we went to Hong Kong/Khao Lak and Singapore/Khao Lak in the summer and had a amazing time. I might finish my trip report, if people have interest in it. Since our last trip we b'h had another boy and are traveling with 5 kids, managing well b'h. As long as you know the limits and dont try to chap areijn to much its fine.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=48327.0

After I saw this deal I could not resist and booked next years summer vacation to Hawaii once again, as we are flying with a paid Business Class Ticket I was able to choose flights without looking for award avail and having to change planes to often

I will take the direct EWR-HNL after stopping a few days in NY to manage the time difference and shop for food. On the way back I will fly  OGG-LAX, as once again I cant travel in one shot to europe with 5 kids and it will allow us to shop a little

We will arrive monday evening to Hawaii and stay until sunday evening 13 days later. My plan was to do the big island until sunday for 6 days and then move to Maui for the last week.

I am not yet sure, were we will be staying on the big island, the Hilton http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/ looks very tempting. They also have a big 2 bedroom suite that can be booked with points. But I might decide to take a villa with a pool, as they are not as expensive on the big island

In Maui I will be staying http://www.westinkaanapali.com/   They have some nice 2 bedroom suites and the resort looks very nice. Can be rented through timeshare owners for about 500 a night

While I read alot in all the master threads, I still have alot to prepare and will be thankful if guys can give me advice

-Selection of islands and times ok?
-Would you stay somewere else?
-Must do with kids and skip with kids?

I will try to update this as soon as my plans have more details, also to show people, that having a few kids doesnt mean you cant travel

Feel free to ask questions, post advice or just say how crazy this trip is with 5  little kids :-)

Gruezi, nice to see a fellow schweizer here. Hope you enjoy the land of the free.

Offline morgs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: *a Gold, Avis Presidents circle, Hertz Presidents club
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2015, 07:18:00 AM »
This should be a breeze after the HKG trip last summer!! ;D

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2015, 08:22:32 AM »
Morgs, Asia is easier. Night flights both ways and about half the distance from europe then hnl

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2015, 11:03:43 AM »
Do you need to stay in a hotel?
Neither of those resorts are particularly nice and they're both in the wrong areas of the island.

I'd think a house from VRBO or the other dozen house rental sites would be far better for a large family.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2015, 12:05:04 PM »
On the big Island I might rent, maui seems to be to expensive. Why are both resorts on wrong side, please explain...
I know the hotel's are not the nicest, but I need something that has a kitchen and washing machine. Chance of me going to the Hilton is small, but the resort looks quite nice for what I need. I didnt find anything better in maui and the Westin kaanapli has very nice 2 bedroom units and the reviews are very good... please explain what you don't like about it

Offline AharonInIsrael

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »
Thanks for bumping this with your new trip! Quite an inspiration!