Author Topic: Supreme Court Strikes Down DOMA  (Read 15724 times)

Offline itsyehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Court Strikes Down DOMA
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »
If you want to make a good argument don't use this line. Simplest reply is "Do you think the founding fathers envisioned blacks being free when they said all men are created equal?" Much has changed since the 1770's.

Pretty sure they imagined it

" By the time of the Constitutional Convention in 1789, some northern states had already outlawed slavery within their state borders. These states wanted a ban on the slave trade included in the Constitution."
I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »
Pretty sure they imagined it

" By the time of the Constitutional Convention in 1789, some northern states had already outlawed slavery within their state borders. These states wanted a ban on the slave trade included in the Constitution."
Talk about not getting the point.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline itsyehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2013, 12:30:41 PM »
Talk about not getting the point.

Oh, the argument was a stupid argument, but your refutation was equally so.

I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Offline U-no-me!

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
If you want to make a good argument don't use this line. Simplest reply is "Do you think the founding fathers envisioned blacks being free when they said all men are created equal?" Much has changed since the 1770's.

Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2013, 12:45:53 PM »

True, but only partially. Many founding fathers didn't envision it. I never said all of them... Just like many of the founding fathers likely had homosexual tendencies.

to make the my point better I should have said many founding fathers didn't envision that blacks would or should have equal rights even though they said all men. But I tried copying his exact words to make my argument sound like it was in a direct style, response to him.

nu uh, ya huh, nu uh, ya huh. Doesn't get any more intelligent that a -1.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
+1

The Constitution actually contemplated the end of slavery by kicking the issue down the road to 1808.

Many of the framers (though hypocritically slave-owners themselves) voiced opposition:

"It is much to be wished that slavery may be abolished. The honour of the States, as well as justice and humanity, in my opinion, loudly call upon them to emancipate these unhappy people. To contend for our own liberty, and to deny that blessing to others, involves an inconsistency not to be excused." - John Jay

"All good men wish the entire abolition of slavery, as soon as it can take place with safety to the public, and for the lasting good of the present wretched race of slaves." - Oliver Ellsworth

"There must doubtless be an unhappy influence on the manners of our people produced by the existence of slavery among us. The whole commerce between master and slave is a perpetual exercise of the most boisterous passions, the most unremitting despotism on the one part, and degrading submissions on the other. Our children see this, and learn to imitate it; for man is an imitative animal. This quality is the germ of all education in him." - Thomas Jefferson

"Slavery is such an atrocious debasement of human nature, that its very extirpation, if not performed with solicitous care, may sometimes open a source of serious evils." - Benjamin Franklin

If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline U-no-me!

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »
nu uh, ya huh, nu uh, ya huh. Doesn't get any more intelligent that a -1.

;D
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »
The way that argument works is a logical device pointing out that according to the rationale used to make Sodomy legal (Lawrence Vs. Texas), all of the other taboo behaviors could also be legalized. That would include bestiality, incest, bigamy and others.

Check it out- All of the above

If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD