Topic Wiki

DansMeals: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38870

Eruv: http://www.laeruv.com

Minyanim Thread and Wiki: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=55006.0

Accurate and verified minyanim and restaurants: https://lajewishtimes.com/-click on the picture of the restaurant to get to the menu.

Baby gear gemach: www.lababygear.com

Trip Reports:
Dan 1, Dan 2, Dan 3, Dan 4, @Yehuda - 1 day trip
Joel2 - 4 day trip

Map of Jewish & Kosher LA

RESTAURANTS

Meat:

[th]RESTAURANT NAME[/th]
   [th]Rating[/th]
   [th]Description[/th]
   [th]Area - Address [/th]
   [th]Supervision[/th]
Tierra Sur At Herzog Winery in Oxnard 5/5 stars-The menu here is constantly changing but is always amazing.  The flavors you will try here are unlike any you will get at another kosher restaurant in the world.
Oxnard -

La Gondola4.5/5 stars
-Avocado eggrolls to die for (I had it and I didn't like it
 I can't eat Avocado when it's warm, I'm sure others can't too-Sillypainter).  Great Bread with garlic margarine on the house(agree-Sillypainter) Great Gondola Burger special for lunch with excellent pasta or a soup.  And the Chai Steak with Carmelized Steak Sauce and arguably the best kosher ribs out there.   I'm getting hungry thinking about this place!
Pico

Meatos - https://meatos.us/

http://charcoalgrillbar.com/

Shiloh's4/5 stars
-Great baby back ribs and peppercorn steak.  They serve steaks with a number of dipping sauces which is pretty cool.  Also had some delicious key lime pie.
I did have a bad experience here with really bad food though...and service can be poor here as well.
Beverly Hills Thai4/5 stars-It can get very crowded so it's best to make a reservation in advance.
Jeff's 3.5/5 stars-Homemade onion rings, homemade sausages, Steak Sandwich, Western burger, lots of good and greasy stuff here.
PKD (Pico Kosher Deli)3.5/5 stars
-Excellent Deli-style food along with equally good homemade onion rings. No Reservations, but rarely more than a few minute wait. closes at 9 PM.
Pat's3/5 stars
-Either you love this upscale steakhouse or you hate it.  I used to hate it until my brother became good friends with the bartender.  Now when I go back with him we're treated to a feast for a king! Don't miss the bread pudding dessert!
Shanghai2.5/5 stars
-LA hasn't had very good Chinese since Sholom Cuisine closed.  This place is decent though.
Harissa4/5 stars-Home of the LA-famous pretzle challah! They offer Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/North African cuisine.  They have lots of seating and long hours.

1. Tierra Sur At Herzog Winery in Oxnard
5/5 stars
-The menu here is constantly changing but is always amazing.  The flavors you will try here are unlike any you will get at another kosher restaurant in the world.

2. La Gondola
4.5/5 stars
-Avocado eggrolls to die for (I had it and I didn't like it
 I can't eat Avocado when it's warm, I'm sure others can't too-Sillypainter).  Great Bread with garlic margarine on the house(agree-Sillypainter) Great Gondola Burger special for lunch with excellent pasta or a soup.  And the Chai Steak with Carmelized Steak Sauce and arguably the best kosher ribs out there.   I'm getting hungry thinking about this place!

3. Shiloh's
4/5 stars
-Great baby back ribs and peppercorn steak.  They serve steaks with a number of dipping sauces which is pretty cool.  Also had some delicious key lime pie.
I did have a bad experience here with really bad food though...and service can be poor here as well.

4. Beverly Hills Thai
4/5 stars
-It can get very crowded so it's best to make a reservation in advance.

5. Jeff's
3.5/5 stars
-Homemade onion rings, homemade sausages, Steak Sandwich, Western burger, lots of good and greasy stuff here.

6. PKD (Pico Kosher Deli)
3.5/5 stars
-Excellent Deli-style food along with equally good homemade onion rings. No Reservations, but rarely more than a few minute wait. closes at 9 PM.

7. Pat's
3/5 stars
-Either you love this upscale steakhouse or you hate it.  I used to hate it until my brother became good friends with the bartender.  Now when I go back with him we're treated to a feast for a king! Don't miss the bread pudding dessert!

8. Shanghai
2.5/5 stars
-LA hasn't had very good Chinese since Sholom Cuisine closed.  This place is decent though.

9. Harissa
4/5 stars
-Home of the LA-famous pretzle challah! They offer Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/North African cuisine.  They have lots of seating and long hours.

Milk/Parve:

1. Fish Grill
4.5/5 stars
-The best fish you'll ever have, period.  I'm not such a fish person, but their Grilled Salmon on Angel Hair Pasta with a huge order of well-seasoned fries...YUM! Get the grilled salmon sandwich.

2. Milky Way Reopened, brand new place worth a visit
4/5 stars
-Steven Spielberg's adorable mom will come shmooze with you and show you his movie posters in the back.  Cheeze blintzes and lemon tart are awesome. Chimichangas, potato latkes, and more all at prices that haven't been raised in decades.

3. Pizza Nosh (Agoura Hills)
4/5 stars
-Excellent pizza and Eggplant Parmesean, worth a stop if you're in the area.

4. Pizza Mayven
4/5 stars
-Good plain pizza and excellent fries, and that's about it.

5. Nagila Pizza
3/5 stars
-Good but pricey stuffed crust pizza, and that's about it. There are some big fans of their Naco's out there as well.

6. Trattoria Natalie
4.5/5 stars
-A trattoria is translated from Italian as a tavern, and that's what this restaurant feels like.  They have a cool on-table feature: its a paging device with three bottons.  One botton calls for water, the other for the bill, the last for a waiter.  The food is very good and prices not too expensive.

7. Meshuga for Sushi/Meshuga for Sushi 2
4/5
-With 3 locations (one in La Brea, one in Pico, and one in the valley), they offer great sushi at reasonable prices.  They have some space to eat in the restaurant.  They have long hours and a decent lunch menu.

IF you eat non-CY:
-Sweet Rose Creamery, on Beverly is Kosher and considered some of the best ice cream in LA by foodies http://www.sweetrosecreamery.com/, usually have 4 or 5 non dairy flavors
-Toppings Frozen Yogurt 349 S Robertson Blvd, good frozen yogurt, usually have a non dairy flavor or two

If you eat CY:
-Milky's at 1429 S Robertson Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90035 recently became kosher and is cholov yisrael.

Breakfast/Bakery:
1. Cafe Elite
4.5/5 stars
-Amazing cake/crumb donuts along with your usual breakfast food.

2. Schwartz Bakery/Circa NY
4/5 stars
-A great but expensive bakery.  The crumb cheese danish is a personal favorite, as is their wonderful Caramel cake and "kit kat" chocolate rice crispy bars.
They also now serve breakfast in their Pico and Fairfax location.  I had the combo Pancake+Waffle+Franch Toast meal with fruit salad that was very good.
On friday's only they sell raspberry cheese pockets - they always sell out of them early.

3. La Brea Bagel
3/5 stars
-Very good bagels with all kinds of toppings and other breakfast food.

4. The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf - 7235 Beverly Blvd
4/5 stars
-The only coffee bean in LA that has Cholov Yisroel upon request and offers 3 Pas Yisroel bakery items from Delice; Chocolate Almond croissant, Custard twist, and chocolate croissant - also upon request.

SHABBOS TAKE OUT OPTIONS

1. Ralph's - both the Pico and La Brea locations have a kosher section with takeout
2. PKD: http://www.pkdla.com/soon.htm
3. Western Kosher on Pico: http://www.orderstart.com/westernkosher
4. Lieders La Brea: 129 N La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036
5. Lieders Takeout, 8721 W. Pico Blvd, supposed to be excellent, check FB page for hours, (Shabbos Food LA: http://www.shabbosfoodla.com/)
6. Ariel's glatt has a nice selection - NE corner of La Brea and Beverly
7. Got Kosher has very ethnic style shabbat take out- lots of Moroccan food.
8. Elite Cuisine on La Brea/Detroit and Beverly has some nice options and the staff is really nice.

ATTRACTIONS

Attractions for the first time visitor (in no particular order):

1. Santa Monica (Pier, 3rd St. Promenade)
2. Hiking (Santa Monica Mountains, Hollywood Hills)(list of hikes sortable by distance)
3. Theme parks (Universal, Disneyland, Knotts, Six Flags Magic Mountain)
4. Beaches (Venice and Santa Monica are the most popular; Hermosa and Manhattan are the prettiest, Marina del Rey is the emptiest as it's in a residential area)
5. City Sites (The Grove, Hollywood & Highland Blvd, Rodeo Dr/Beverly Hills, Beverly Center)
6. Segway tours with www.segwow.com (tours are available in various locations)
7. TV Show Filmings (get free tickets to local TV shows being filmed) www.tvtix.com
8. Getty Center and Getty Villa.
9. Warner Bros Studio Tour
10. Mulholland Drive in Burbank (view of LA and the Hollywood sign)
11. Marina Del Ray Sportfishing or Whale watching (sometimes on groupon)
12. Griffith Observatory- Driveable Scenic View
13. LA Zoo

Attractions for the experienced visitor:

1. Santa Barbara, 2 hours north (40 min from Tierra Sur)
2. San Diego/ Coronado, 2 hours south
3. Big Bear/ Lake Arrowhead, 2 hours east
4. Hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains.
5. Secret Stairs by Charles Fleming- check out the book
6. Hollywood Bowl
7. Descanso Gardens and Huntington Library and Gardens
8. Calico ghost town, 2 hours east
9. OC County fair (July 12-Aug 11 2013)
10. Adamson House in Malibu
11. Griffith Park - Merry-go-round, Pony Rides, & wagon rides for kids, Horseback Riding for older children.
12. The Queen Mary. Out of commission passenger and WWII ship. Is currently a museum, and a hotel. You can explore the ship or stroll along the empty decks at midnight (closed to tours at night, but open to hotel guests) with a great view of the Long Beach Harbor. 45 minutes south of L.A.

This is a general list.  I can go into specifics if you're interested. HT: Yehoshua

Amusement Parks: Adventure City, Disneyland, California Adventure, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Legoland, Santa Monica Pier, Urban Air, Boomers

Water Parks: Raging Waters, Knotts Soak City, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, Wild Rivers

Museums: Getty, Skirball, LACMA, La Brea Tarpits, Peterson Car, CA Science Center (space shuttle), Cayton Children Museum, Museum of Tolerance, Aquarium of the Pacific, Kidspace Children Museum

Hiking Trails: Griffith Park, Runyon Canyon, Caballero

Attractions: Rodeo Drive, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Adventure Lagoon, Sky Zone, Jump Club, Get Air, LA Zoo, Grove, Universal CityWalk, TopGolf, Lucky Strike Bowling, K1 Speed, Griffith Park Observatory, Travel Town Railroad, Madame Tussauds, Sunset Ranch Hollywood Horseback Riding, Beach, Marina Del Rey, Pump it up

HT:Thaber+Imayid2

Hotels within walking distance of shuls (under 2 mi.)

Pico
1. Mr. C (closest YOLA)
2. SLS
3. Residence Inn by Marriott (closest to Adas Torah or YICC)
4. Beverly Hills Marriott (closest to Adas Torah or YICC)
5. Best Western Plus Carlyle Inn (closest to Torat Chaim or Anshe Emes)
6. Intercontinental Century City (closest to YOLA)

Hancock Park
116northfuller.com
116northfuller.com - in the heart of Hancock Park / La Brea area. 5 minute walk to many shuls. 4 bedroom house with full kosher kitchen, hot plate, everything you need for shabbos.

Other areas
1. Andaz West Hollywood
2. W Westwood
3. Four Seasons, Beverly Hills
4. L'Ermitage

http://kosherconciergela.com/

HT: Dan

« Last edited by yelped on January 24, 2023, 11:58:48 PM »

Author Topic: Los Angeles Master Thread  (Read 2019626 times)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Los Angeles Master Thread
« Reply #720 on: July 06, 2012, 03:40:25 PM »
I normally is that website in conjunction with the first one I posted to find hikes. The first one has maps while the second one has reviews.

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 10, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
Heading to LA for two days.. What are the best activities I can do with young kids? 3, 6 year olds..

I want a 2-3 places that they'll enjoy so I can then schlep them to eat etc.. without worrying about them being too restless..

Something like indoor gyms, fun rides, something like kids space in Pasadena which we've been to plenty of times.. but preferably not too far from LA..

THX

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 10, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »
Would you prefer outdoor activities, indoor activities like hiking, or sight-seeing activities?

In terms of restaurants, are you looking for eat in or take out?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #723 on: July 10, 2012, 10:48:38 AM »
Disney/Universal Studios.
S. Monica Pier has rides.
Train ride in the grove.
Train ride up to the getty center and running around outdoors there?

Good kid friendly restaurants probably include Jeff's, PKD, Fish Grill, Pizza Mayven, etc.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 10, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »
thanks... disney etc.. we don't need we were at legoland a few days ago...

Santa Monica pier sounds nice.. I wanted to also get some pictures of the kids at the beach... (not swimming just playing) is the area there very crowded late afternoon? where can I find a quiet beach? huntington or manhattan any better? Malibu? want lots of sand and without ppl if possible.. around 4-7pm...

Never been to getty center worth going for the kids? indoor places would also be find if they're nice..

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 10, 2012, 11:39:56 AM »
There's a really nice, semi-secluded beach in Marina del Rey that is great for taking pictures at.  Since it is not a famous beach with a parking lot and attractions (it's really just a beach for the people who like there, but it is public) there won't be many people there.  The residents barely use the beach as they're all busy working to pay for their beach-front properties.  The beach is located south of Washington Blvd. off of Speedway.  Take Washington west to Pasific, make a left, and then a right onto any one of the alphabet streets (the streets are alphabetical each having to do with the ocean).  I'd advice going down towards Union Jack or Topsail.  Park on the street; there's plenty of parking available.  This beach has tons of sand as well.

That said, Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach are both really pretty, probably the nicest beaches close to LA, but they are further than Marina del Rey.  They are also more popular so there will be more people at the beach.  Plus, depending where you're staying in LA, the traffic on the 405 can be horrific at that time of day.  Marina del Rey is accessible just as quickly for Pico via streets without the traffic.

The pier is also a good place for kids.  They have rides they can go on in Pasific Park on the pier including a really large carousal and ferris wheel.  It is a pretty popular attraction, so expect crowds.

The Getty has nice gardens outside, but the inside is an art museum.  The tram ride up is nice, and the museum's free ($15/car for parking) but not really for kids.

In SoCal in July there isn't any reason to be indoors.  It's not too hot, never humid, and it never rains.  If you did want to spend time inside, the California Science Center is great for kids, and it's free.  They also have a special exhibit on Cleopatra that's been traveling around the country.

Nagila is also a really good pizza place that is super kid-friendly. They have a meat restaurant next door with a combined outdoor (separated by a fence) seating area as well, but I've never eaten there personally.

If you do go to Malibu, they do have a Fish Grill there that is just as wonderful as the other 3 Fish Grills in LA.

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »
Thanks a lot! Any great outdoor playgrounds? parks?  We'll go to s. monica still need one more nice activity for the kids..

Food question, 26 by shiloh's any dish recommendations?

I love mexican food, so I need to get some.. any dish recommendations there? whats their best?

We like chinese but we've done shanghai one time too many, is it worth trying this new Thai place (Bodhi)? I'm turned off by the vegetarian part (can't imagine enjoying a meal or a dish without any meat/chicken..)

we'll probably take some Jeff's for our trip leaving LA..

Thanks

(annoying I can't search this thread, or am I not seeing something?!)

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 11, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »
26 by Shilos is worth skipping.  It's not that great for the price you pay.  Milk and Honey is better.

MexiKosher is the best Mexican place.  They have a sign advertising a special type of meat that's supposed to be authentic Mexico City style, but everything is amazing, especially their sauces.

Bodhi is absolutely amazing and cheap.  If you're scared by the vegetarian aspect, there's another Thai place on Burton Way and Doheny that's fleishig.  I've never been, but yelp gives it good reviews.

Offline ChAiM'l

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 11, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »
(annoying I can't search this thread, or am I not seeing something?!)

Search box is in top right-hand corner.

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 11, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »
Search box is in top right-hand corner.

didn't realize it searches this thread, thought it searches entire board... thanks

Offline ChAiM'l

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 11, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »
didn't realize it searches this thread, thought it searches entire board... thanks

Quote from: Dan
There’s a “smart” search engine on the forum for you to look up topics that have been discussed in the past. If you’re on the home page the search engine will search everything on the forum. If you’re in a specific board topic it will only search that board. If you’re in a specific post it will only search that post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #731 on: July 11, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »
We like chinese but we've done shanghai one time too many, is it worth trying this new Thai place (Bodhi)?
There hasn't been good chinese in LA since Sholom Cuisine closed down 6 years ago.

26 by Shilos is worth skipping.  It's not that great for the price you pay.  Milk and Honey is better.
+1, though the DDF DO LA attendees told me I need to go to Milky Way next time.

If you're scared by the vegetarian aspect, there's another Thai place on Burton Way and Doheny that's fleishig.
Name?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 11, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
+1, though the DDF DO LA attendees told me I need to go to Milky Way next time.
Milky Way is also a waste of time/money.  Yes, Speilberg's mom owns it, but it's kinda outdated in decor and in the menu.

Name?
Beverly Hills Thai Gourmet Kosher Kitchen.  They have 3 stars from yelp, but I can't say I've wanted to try it.  It's Bodhi all the way for me.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: July 11, 2012, 10:49:21 AM »
Milky Way is also a waste of time/money.  Yes, Speilberg's mom owns it, but it's kinda outdated in decor and in the menu.
Seems to have enough of a following that I'll try it out next time:

I'm not a big eggplant guy so that wouldn't work for me. I do like their bread and their mozarella marinara (there is probably some other name for it they use on the menu). Overall though, I think I would take the chips/guacamole, salmon puffs and fish and chips at Milky Way over almost anything at Milk and Honey.
+1 milky way is considerably cheaper than the other 2, salamon puffs there are amazing!!
Milk and Honey has more options, but I don't know if its necessarily better - to each his own, obviously.

Milky Way also has a delicious cheesecake and carrot cake dessert.

I was just at 26 a few weeks back and continued to be unimpressed - its unfortunate that with a nice space they can't produce a better food experience.

Price wise, I think its actually a little cheaper than Milk and Honey and definitely cheaper than 26.
+1. Dan likes eggplant parm which is medokere at milkyway so he prefers milk and honey. But in general I don't like milk and honey besides eggplant parm. Milky way has famous cheese blintzes they are truly one of a kind. (IIRC they are more of a cheese cake similarity then cheese blintzes they are so rich and heavenly) The chimichangas are also superb if you like Mexican food (worth a try if you are unfamiliar) And like LAXtraveler mentioned their fish is all top quality. (I still would take fish grill at half the price any day.)
Trip Report  - L.A./San Diego
  • Milky Way - Cosy little place with a lot of Spielberg memorabilia. Food was good milchig fare. The crunchy salmon puffs (app) are very good, and so was the eggplant parmesan (not your typical commercial one). Cheesecake was good too. Mrs Adler (the center attraction) is very friendly, and kept on coming to our table to shmooze.

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 11, 2012, 10:55:46 AM »
Thanks.. I actually don't care for milk n honey, I was impressed by 26 when I went about year and half ago shortly after it opened (could help that I didn't pay....)

Thanks everyone...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: July 11, 2012, 10:57:52 AM »
I was impressed by 26
You may be the only one :D
Though dessert was quite good.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 11, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »
Seems to have enough of a following that I'll try it out next time:

I've eaten there before, and I wasn't super impressed.  I'm a bit of a foodie, so it could be I'm more particular when it comes to hight quality food.

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 11, 2012, 11:04:20 AM »
You may be the only one :D
Though dessert was quite good.

Has decent reviews online 3.5-4 outta 5

Milk n Honey wasn't great and don't care for the ambiance... milky way had a very limited menu, was hard to find something I cared for but this was a while back...

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 11, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »
LA Zoo worth it? is it too much walking? anything special there?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 11, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
LA zoo is nice as zoos go, but nothing compared to the San Diego zoo.