Topic Wiki

DansMeals: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38870

Eruv: http://www.laeruv.com

Minyanim Thread and Wiki: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=55006.0

Accurate and verified minyanim and restaurants: https://lajewishtimes.com/-click on the picture of the restaurant to get to the menu.

Baby gear gemach: www.lababygear.com

Trip Reports:
Dan 1, Dan 2, Dan 3, Dan 4, @Yehuda - 1 day trip
Joel2 - 4 day trip

Map of Jewish & Kosher LA

RESTAURANTS

Meat:

[th]RESTAURANT NAME[/th]
   [th]Rating[/th]
   [th]Description[/th]
   [th]Area - Address [/th]
   [th]Supervision[/th]
Tierra Sur At Herzog Winery in Oxnard 5/5 stars-The menu here is constantly changing but is always amazing.  The flavors you will try here are unlike any you will get at another kosher restaurant in the world.
Oxnard -

La Gondola4.5/5 stars
-Avocado eggrolls to die for (I had it and I didn't like it
 I can't eat Avocado when it's warm, I'm sure others can't too-Sillypainter).  Great Bread with garlic margarine on the house(agree-Sillypainter) Great Gondola Burger special for lunch with excellent pasta or a soup.  And the Chai Steak with Carmelized Steak Sauce and arguably the best kosher ribs out there.   I'm getting hungry thinking about this place!
Pico

Meatos - https://meatos.us/

http://charcoalgrillbar.com/

Shiloh's4/5 stars
-Great baby back ribs and peppercorn steak.  They serve steaks with a number of dipping sauces which is pretty cool.  Also had some delicious key lime pie.
I did have a bad experience here with really bad food though...and service can be poor here as well.
Beverly Hills Thai4/5 stars-It can get very crowded so it's best to make a reservation in advance.
Jeff's 3.5/5 stars-Homemade onion rings, homemade sausages, Steak Sandwich, Western burger, lots of good and greasy stuff here.
PKD (Pico Kosher Deli)3.5/5 stars
-Excellent Deli-style food along with equally good homemade onion rings. No Reservations, but rarely more than a few minute wait. closes at 9 PM.
Pat's3/5 stars
-Either you love this upscale steakhouse or you hate it.  I used to hate it until my brother became good friends with the bartender.  Now when I go back with him we're treated to a feast for a king! Don't miss the bread pudding dessert!
Shanghai2.5/5 stars
-LA hasn't had very good Chinese since Sholom Cuisine closed.  This place is decent though.
Harissa4/5 stars-Home of the LA-famous pretzle challah! They offer Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/North African cuisine.  They have lots of seating and long hours.

1. Tierra Sur At Herzog Winery in Oxnard
5/5 stars
-The menu here is constantly changing but is always amazing.  The flavors you will try here are unlike any you will get at another kosher restaurant in the world.

2. La Gondola
4.5/5 stars
-Avocado eggrolls to die for (I had it and I didn't like it
 I can't eat Avocado when it's warm, I'm sure others can't too-Sillypainter).  Great Bread with garlic margarine on the house(agree-Sillypainter) Great Gondola Burger special for lunch with excellent pasta or a soup.  And the Chai Steak with Carmelized Steak Sauce and arguably the best kosher ribs out there.   I'm getting hungry thinking about this place!

3. Shiloh's
4/5 stars
-Great baby back ribs and peppercorn steak.  They serve steaks with a number of dipping sauces which is pretty cool.  Also had some delicious key lime pie.
I did have a bad experience here with really bad food though...and service can be poor here as well.

4. Beverly Hills Thai
4/5 stars
-It can get very crowded so it's best to make a reservation in advance.

5. Jeff's
3.5/5 stars
-Homemade onion rings, homemade sausages, Steak Sandwich, Western burger, lots of good and greasy stuff here.

6. PKD (Pico Kosher Deli)
3.5/5 stars
-Excellent Deli-style food along with equally good homemade onion rings. No Reservations, but rarely more than a few minute wait. closes at 9 PM.

7. Pat's
3/5 stars
-Either you love this upscale steakhouse or you hate it.  I used to hate it until my brother became good friends with the bartender.  Now when I go back with him we're treated to a feast for a king! Don't miss the bread pudding dessert!

8. Shanghai
2.5/5 stars
-LA hasn't had very good Chinese since Sholom Cuisine closed.  This place is decent though.

9. Harissa
4/5 stars
-Home of the LA-famous pretzle challah! They offer Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/North African cuisine.  They have lots of seating and long hours.

Milk/Parve:

1. Fish Grill
4.5/5 stars
-The best fish you'll ever have, period.  I'm not such a fish person, but their Grilled Salmon on Angel Hair Pasta with a huge order of well-seasoned fries...YUM! Get the grilled salmon sandwich.

2. Milky Way Reopened, brand new place worth a visit
4/5 stars
-Steven Spielberg's adorable mom will come shmooze with you and show you his movie posters in the back.  Cheeze blintzes and lemon tart are awesome. Chimichangas, potato latkes, and more all at prices that haven't been raised in decades.

3. Pizza Nosh (Agoura Hills)
4/5 stars
-Excellent pizza and Eggplant Parmesean, worth a stop if you're in the area.

4. Pizza Mayven
4/5 stars
-Good plain pizza and excellent fries, and that's about it.

5. Nagila Pizza
3/5 stars
-Good but pricey stuffed crust pizza, and that's about it. There are some big fans of their Naco's out there as well.

6. Trattoria Natalie
4.5/5 stars
-A trattoria is translated from Italian as a tavern, and that's what this restaurant feels like.  They have a cool on-table feature: its a paging device with three bottons.  One botton calls for water, the other for the bill, the last for a waiter.  The food is very good and prices not too expensive.

7. Meshuga for Sushi/Meshuga for Sushi 2
4/5
-With 3 locations (one in La Brea, one in Pico, and one in the valley), they offer great sushi at reasonable prices.  They have some space to eat in the restaurant.  They have long hours and a decent lunch menu.

IF you eat non-CY:
-Sweet Rose Creamery, on Beverly is Kosher and considered some of the best ice cream in LA by foodies http://www.sweetrosecreamery.com/, usually have 4 or 5 non dairy flavors
-Toppings Frozen Yogurt 349 S Robertson Blvd, good frozen yogurt, usually have a non dairy flavor or two

If you eat CY:
-Milky's at 1429 S Robertson Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90035 recently became kosher and is cholov yisrael.

Breakfast/Bakery:
1. Cafe Elite
4.5/5 stars
-Amazing cake/crumb donuts along with your usual breakfast food.

2. Schwartz Bakery/Circa NY
4/5 stars
-A great but expensive bakery.  The crumb cheese danish is a personal favorite, as is their wonderful Caramel cake and "kit kat" chocolate rice crispy bars.
They also now serve breakfast in their Pico and Fairfax location.  I had the combo Pancake+Waffle+Franch Toast meal with fruit salad that was very good.
On friday's only they sell raspberry cheese pockets - they always sell out of them early.

3. La Brea Bagel
3/5 stars
-Very good bagels with all kinds of toppings and other breakfast food.

4. The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf - 7235 Beverly Blvd
4/5 stars
-The only coffee bean in LA that has Cholov Yisroel upon request and offers 3 Pas Yisroel bakery items from Delice; Chocolate Almond croissant, Custard twist, and chocolate croissant - also upon request.

SHABBOS TAKE OUT OPTIONS

1. Ralph's - both the Pico and La Brea locations have a kosher section with takeout
2. PKD: http://www.pkdla.com/soon.htm
3. Western Kosher on Pico: http://www.orderstart.com/westernkosher
4. Lieders La Brea: 129 N La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036
5. Lieders Takeout, 8721 W. Pico Blvd, supposed to be excellent, check FB page for hours, (Shabbos Food LA: http://www.shabbosfoodla.com/)
6. Ariel's glatt has a nice selection - NE corner of La Brea and Beverly
7. Got Kosher has very ethnic style shabbat take out- lots of Moroccan food.
8. Elite Cuisine on La Brea/Detroit and Beverly has some nice options and the staff is really nice.

ATTRACTIONS

Attractions for the first time visitor (in no particular order):

1. Santa Monica (Pier, 3rd St. Promenade)
2. Hiking (Santa Monica Mountains, Hollywood Hills)(list of hikes sortable by distance)
3. Theme parks (Universal, Disneyland, Knotts, Six Flags Magic Mountain)
4. Beaches (Venice and Santa Monica are the most popular; Hermosa and Manhattan are the prettiest, Marina del Rey is the emptiest as it's in a residential area)
5. City Sites (The Grove, Hollywood & Highland Blvd, Rodeo Dr/Beverly Hills, Beverly Center)
6. Segway tours with www.segwow.com (tours are available in various locations)
7. TV Show Filmings (get free tickets to local TV shows being filmed) www.tvtix.com
8. Getty Center and Getty Villa.
9. Warner Bros Studio Tour
10. Mulholland Drive in Burbank (view of LA and the Hollywood sign)
11. Marina Del Ray Sportfishing or Whale watching (sometimes on groupon)
12. Griffith Observatory- Driveable Scenic View
13. LA Zoo

Attractions for the experienced visitor:

1. Santa Barbara, 2 hours north (40 min from Tierra Sur)
2. San Diego/ Coronado, 2 hours south
3. Big Bear/ Lake Arrowhead, 2 hours east
4. Hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains.
5. Secret Stairs by Charles Fleming- check out the book
6. Hollywood Bowl
7. Descanso Gardens and Huntington Library and Gardens
8. Calico ghost town, 2 hours east
9. OC County fair (July 12-Aug 11 2013)
10. Adamson House in Malibu
11. Griffith Park - Merry-go-round, Pony Rides, & wagon rides for kids, Horseback Riding for older children.
12. The Queen Mary. Out of commission passenger and WWII ship. Is currently a museum, and a hotel. You can explore the ship or stroll along the empty decks at midnight (closed to tours at night, but open to hotel guests) with a great view of the Long Beach Harbor. 45 minutes south of L.A.

This is a general list.  I can go into specifics if you're interested. HT: Yehoshua

Amusement Parks: Adventure City, Disneyland, California Adventure, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Legoland, Santa Monica Pier, Urban Air, Boomers

Water Parks: Raging Waters, Knotts Soak City, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, Wild Rivers

Museums: Getty, Skirball, LACMA, La Brea Tarpits, Peterson Car, CA Science Center (space shuttle), Cayton Children Museum, Museum of Tolerance, Aquarium of the Pacific, Kidspace Children Museum

Hiking Trails: Griffith Park, Runyon Canyon, Caballero

Attractions: Rodeo Drive, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Adventure Lagoon, Sky Zone, Jump Club, Get Air, LA Zoo, Grove, Universal CityWalk, TopGolf, Lucky Strike Bowling, K1 Speed, Griffith Park Observatory, Travel Town Railroad, Madame Tussauds, Sunset Ranch Hollywood Horseback Riding, Beach, Marina Del Rey, Pump it up

HT:Thaber+Imayid2

Hotels within walking distance of shuls (under 2 mi.)

Pico
1. Mr. C (closest YOLA)
2. SLS
3. Residence Inn by Marriott (closest to Adas Torah or YICC)
4. Beverly Hills Marriott (closest to Adas Torah or YICC)
5. Best Western Plus Carlyle Inn (closest to Torat Chaim or Anshe Emes)
6. Intercontinental Century City (closest to YOLA)

Hancock Park
116northfuller.com
116northfuller.com - in the heart of Hancock Park / La Brea area. 5 minute walk to many shuls. 4 bedroom house with full kosher kitchen, hot plate, everything you need for shabbos.

Other areas
1. Andaz West Hollywood
2. W Westwood
3. Four Seasons, Beverly Hills
4. L'Ermitage

http://kosherconciergela.com/

HT: Dan

« Last edited by yelped on January 24, 2023, 11:58:48 PM »

Author Topic: Los Angeles Master Thread  (Read 2020375 times)

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Los Angeles Master Thread
« Reply #3940 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32:49 PM »
Try jeffs, we were there pretty late
Also closes at 11. LA is not the city that never sleeps  :D

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: July 16, 2014, 10:33:05 PM »
Shows how frequently I'm up that late 😉
And how frequently I am...

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: July 16, 2014, 10:43:40 PM »
Thank you.

I got a good price with Avis through priceline ($25 for premium class) but am concerned about the long waiting times since i will be traveling with my wife and 3 year old daughter. Hopefully Avis Preferred (trough Amex platinum) will help help with the lines.

i signed up for avis preferred after i got a car from them thru priceline
if your name is on the board then you dont have to wait at all and can go directly to the car
if your name is not up on the board then the line should still not be long
you have to get off the shuttle at the avis preferred stop befpre the regular rental stop

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: July 16, 2014, 10:55:47 PM »
Thanks all! PCH took way longer than anticipated. (tr coming soon)

Offline AtallD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: July 17, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
Finally got around to writing a TR for our LA (SD) Delta Glitch trip. I am hoping this is not too long and my notes will be helpful to someone - especially someone travelling with a toddler. Thanks to all those who previously contributed to this thread (especially the Wiki) and helped me plan this trip.
Just for the record, this was not our first trip as a couple to LA (or SD) so we've previously gone to all the LA "must-see" attractions and did not feel a need to do most of them again... especially with a toddler.
-We flew Delta JFK –LAX at around 9:30PM and landed at around 12:30AM Monday morning.  (The adventures of our 2 year-old’s first flight, and our first time dealing with a toddler in an airport/airplane deserves a separate post). After gathering our luggage, we headed to Budget LAX via shuttle. We were let off the shuttle at the first stop for Budget Fastbreak members and were instantly greeted by an associate who upon request upgraded our standard size car to a compact SUV. Our prepaid price for the car was ~$250 for 2 weeks using Costco codes.  [Side note: We signed up for ‘Fastbreak’ when we made the reservation – not really knowing if it was worth anything, but it was free to sign up and it claimed to save time when arriving at the rental place – which it really did!]
-We then headed to Andaz WeHo to check in and get some shut eye. We had a ‘view room’ which had a small sitting area that could be closed off with a curtain – this worked out great as our son’s  “room”. The views from the room were pretty amazing, although our room was located right outside a really bright flashing billboard on Sunset Blvd and despite the blackout curtains, the lights still seeped through. We did enjoy the free minibar (excluding alcohol), but we did not enjoy the $34 valet parking fee– we could not find any overnight parking on the street.
-Monday: After a lazy sleepy morning, we headed to Café Elite for brunch. The place wasn't the cleanest and the food was nothing special, but the doughnuts were delicious! We then headed to Griffith Park for pony rides. When we arrived, we were quite disappointed to find out that there were no pony rides on Mondays. We checked out the rest of the park and spent the rest of the afternoon there:  went on a cute mini train ride – which our son loved, a carousel and our son spent 2 hours in a really nice big playground further up the road (still part of the park). We were still tired from the flight the night before so we headed back to the hotel and decided to order in. I checked seamless and the only place that delivered to the hotel without an outrageous minimum and/or delivery fee was Chick ‘n Chow so we took our chances and ordered from there. I took a swim on the rooftop pool with my son while my wife waited for the food to come. The food arrived pretty quickly and was surprisingly good.
-Tuesday: Breakfast - Schwartz's - great pastries! My son was still talking about the pony rides so we headed back to Griffith Park. We started him off on the "Pony Sweep" - a live merry-go-round style pony ride, and then moved him up to a solo pony ride. He had a great time. We went on the train ride once more and headed to Fish Grill - Pico for lunch. We are big fans of fish grill and they did not disappoint. After lunch we went to the Santa Monica Pier and had a great time walking around, trying out their carousel, and enjoying the beach. We went to Jeff's for dinner and enjoyed some awesome burgers.
-Wednesday: Breakfast - Pico Cafe - our favorite dairy breakfast/lunch place in LA. Our next stop was Disneyland so we ordered sandwiches for lunch from Pico Cafe as well. Disneyland was great although I would not necessarily recommend it for all 2 year-olds. My son is very familiar with the Disney characters and the highlight of his trip was meeting Mickey Mouse and Goofy in "person". The shows/parades were also enjoyable for him since he knew the characters. If your toddler is not familiar with Disney characters, then I wouldn't expect him/her to appreciate Disney at that age and I am not sure it would be worth spending ~$100 a ticket for the parents since the kiddie rides are no different than the kiddie rides in most amusement parks - aside from "It's a Small World." We stayed for the fireworks show and headed back to Pico area for dinner. It was around 10:30PM when we got to Pico and the only places that were still open were Jeffs and Pico Cafe. We weren't in the mood of meat at that late hour so we decided to pick up dinner from Pico Cafe (#3 for the day!) and brought it back to the hotel.
-Thursday: Brunch at Coffee Bean - Beverly Grove (S. La Cienega Blvd). We like this location since it has a custom yogurt parfait bar (not CY). Next we headed to Beverly Center to do some shopping - they have a decent selection of stores, including many high-end shops - Prada, Gucci... We drive down Beverly Drive looking for something else to do and found 'Color Me Mine' a pottery painting place. I watched my wife and son paint - they had a great time. It was pretty decently priced for Beverly Hills (For kids under 10 - studio fee is $6.10+ is  $10. Firing fee is $1/piece, and pieces range from $10 - $65. (Just make sure to go at least 3 days before you plan to leave L.A. since your pottery has to go through the firing process and is generally ready for pickup in 3 days.) There's a kosher fro-yo place (not CY) across the street that has awesome yogurt and one pareve sorbet option.  We went to Milky Way for dinner and we just love talking to the owner - 'Leah' -  Steven Spielberg's mother. We spent the evening at the Grove - my son was fascinated by the dancing fountains and we spent quite a while sitting there.
-Friday/Shabbos: Breakfast - Schwartz's again. Took a swim on the rooftop pool with my son while my wife packed up and checked out. Headed to our friends for shabbos. Saturday night was late and our son was sleepy so we went to Pizza Mayven and called it a night.
-Sunday: Breakfast at Coffee Bean and then headed to San Diego for week 2 of our trip. (Will post San Diego TR in San Diego thread later)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3945 on: July 17, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »
Finally got around to writing a TR for our LA (SD) Delta Glitch trip. ...
Nice TR! Seems like you had a great time!

Offline AtallD

• View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: July 17, 2014, 07:09:01 PM »
Nice TR! Seems like you had a great time!

Thanks! We did!

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: July 17, 2014, 10:30:22 PM »
Finally got around to writing a TR for our LA (SD) Delta Glitch trip.

Nice, inspiring me to finish my Trip report from AZ trip in March (its half done)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3948 on: July 21, 2014, 10:24:19 AM »
Any walking trails that are stroller friendly?
Or recommended activities with a 3 year old?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: July 21, 2014, 10:34:46 AM »
You can go along the beaches (Santa Monica etc)

Offline BigDanFan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Biz Platinum, Amex Business Gold, Chase Ink Bold, SW, Delta Gold,etc...
« Reply #3950 on: July 21, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »
Runyon Canyon is a close drive from the SLS area and it has a wide open trail. A stroller and a backpack child would be fine -- it's just up a steep hill,
but it's not too rocky or dangerous. The view up top after 30 minutes is amazing. You can see the whole City of LA on one side and beautiful hills, palm trees,
some homes and the hollywood sign on the other side.

You can walk beyond for longer for more sights if you choose, but you'll need time to walk back, as well.
#DDSCLE,#DDSLA, spg platinum 2016,

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: July 21, 2014, 10:44:37 AM »
Griffith Park

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: July 21, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »
Runyon Canyon is a close drive from the SLS area and it has a wide open trail. A stroller and a backpack child would be fine -- it's just up a steep hill,
but it's not too rocky or dangerous. The view up top after 30 minutes is amazing. You can see the whole City of LA on one side and beautiful hills, palm trees,
some homes and the hollywood sign on the other side.

You can walk beyond for longer for more sights if you choose, but you'll need time to walk back, as well.
+1. There are three different paths up. You'd want the middle one which is  the easiest and the only one doable with a stroller.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: July 21, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »
Griffith Park
+1 While this is a great place for kids.  Travel town (within the park) has lots of trains kids can climb on. There also pony rides and a marry go round. As Griffith park is much bigger than central park in NYC, it's easy to get lost or not find a nice area. Generally if there's a lot of cars parked somewhere it's usually nice. It also gets really crowded on Sunday, so I'd go just during the week.

The hikes there are not great, but there are lots of places to walk.

Offline BigDanFan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Biz Platinum, Amex Business Gold, Chase Ink Bold, SW, Delta Gold,etc...
« Reply #3954 on: July 21, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »
+1. There are three different paths up. You'd want the middle one which is  the easiest and the only one doable with a stroller.
are all 3 paths from the same entrance (vista street, maybe)?
#DDSCLE,#DDSLA, spg platinum 2016,

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: July 21, 2014, 11:21:31 AM »
are all 3 paths from the same entrance (vista street, maybe)?
Correct. You can enter from Vista or Fuller.

Offline boruch

• View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: July 21, 2014, 11:33:36 AM »
Thanx for all the great info! Any other parks in the la area that offer great views? I have a three year old daughter who's a great walker so could be a couple of miles long. Ty

Offline Marco Polo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: July 21, 2014, 11:40:33 AM »
Thanx for all the great info! Any other parks in the la area that offer great views? I have a three year old daughter who's a great walker so could be a couple of miles long. Ty
Walking along Venice Beach/Santa Monica Pier may be nice.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: July 21, 2014, 11:43:02 AM »
Walking along Venice Beach/Santa Monica Pier may be nice.

I just got back from LA (TR coming soon) I hated Venice Beach. It was really seedy, homeless people sleeping everywhere. I felt like I had to check my pockets the whole time. Santa Monica pier might be nice though. Didn't make it there.

Offline boruch

• View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: July 21, 2014, 11:43:22 AM »
Thanx. Will do runyon canyon and santa monica with lunch at fish grill. Anyone know of any biking rentals that have options for little kids seats or attachments?