Author Topic: Shenandoah National Park  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Shenandoah National Park
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »
Has anyone been to Shenandoah National Park? Did you drive the whole Sklline drive? Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:08:22 AM by Something Fishy »
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Shenandoah National Park?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »
I proposed to my wife there :).

We also stopped about halfway there were some picnic tables and a souvenir shop where we ate lunch we had brought with us for the day. Basically we just took our time and stopped at a number of different view points along the way and tried to get lucky spotting the bear (which other people had told us they had seen that day).

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:36:35 PM »
Is it worth it to do the whole drive? Are the best sights in a certain area?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 04:42:43 PM »
It may depend where you are coming from/going to as you end up on the other end of the park. All the views were nice, but similar in that they were expansive views of the area below the skyline ridge. I don't feel like one half had a nicer view. I was doing the driving also so I imagine the passengers would get to enjoy it even more as the drive in itself is beautiful even without the rest stops. Still to be in a place with views from both sides was a unique experience.

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 01:40:25 AM »
Someone asked on a different thread if it's worth a trip to Shenandoah.
I figured I'll answer here since this is the correct thread.

I just took went there a few months ago.
I hope to write a slightly more detailed review at some point, but for the meantime I'll suffice with some general remarks.

It was nice, but not nice enough that I'd travel from e.g. the NY metropolitan area exclusively for.
Maybe as a trip from Baltimore? Dunno.
Maybe I say this because I've been to unbelievable National Parks in Western part of our country, and I was "spoiled" by their beauty? I dunno.

We traveled the entire Shenandoah AKA Skyline Dr (i.e. almost every viewpoint), and also a chunk of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
The part of the Blue Ridge Pkwy we did traverse was IIRC almost indistinguishable from Skyline Dr.
Granted, we didn't get through most of Blue Ridge, and especially much further south which some say is much prettier (e.g. the Linn Cove Viaduct).

The only tip right now that I can give, is that if you do go, only go during Fall foliage.
Yes, that's when the masses will be there, but that's the only time of year this park really shines.

Offline chinagel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 12:06:51 AM »
Anyone have any tips/activities for a couple in Shenandoah for a few days?

Offline mimb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
Re: Shenandoah National Park
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 03:13:32 PM »
Wanted to bump this thread. Any recent visits to Shenandoah? Thinking about driving there from NYC in early November. How many days recommended? Any must do hikes or sights?

Online yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 04:03:13 PM »
Wanted to bump this thread. Any recent visits to Shenandoah? Thinking about driving there from NYC in early November. How many days recommended? Any must do hikes or sights?

It's really not the kind of park that has "must-dos". If you're going in November you might see the foliage or you might be too late for it, but that's really the only truly impressive part of the park. There are some very pleasant and enjoyable hikes as well as some very challenging ones. If you're very into nature the park is supposedly a unique place to see certain exact combinations of trees and other plant life. Otherwise just choose from the hikes listed on their website based on length and difficulty. Most hikes are near or overlap the Appalachian trail, so you can say you hiked it.

Ranger stations are closed this year and there are no ranger activities. The gift shops are open, with masks and distancing, and there are rangers outside who will talk to you individually (not sure if that will continue when it gets cold again).

Online Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 04:27:13 PM »
The only iconic hike there is called Old Rag, and it's 7.5 miles plus a 15-minute walk to and from the parking lot, which comes to about 9 miles total. It's full of amazing rock scrambles and is a great workout with amazing views. Just don't try it in the rain. Otherwise, there's a few nice shorter trails of 1-3 miles RT to nice viewpoints and overlooks and a waterfall or two.

Offline mimb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »
Thanks this is very helpful. Would any of the trails be possible with a baby carrier? How many days would you recommend? At this point I just need a long break from NYC so any time outdoors sounds like heaven to me

Online yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 07:39:25 PM »
Thanks this is very helpful. Would any of the trails be possible with a baby carrier? How many days would you recommend? At this point I just need a long break from NYC so any time outdoors sounds like heaven to me

Limberlost is handicap accessible. You can use a stroller

Online Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 08:43:50 PM »
Honestly, if you're not doing Old Rag, you can suffice with one day to drive as much of Skyline Drive - or even all of it - as you want, along with some short stops. If you want a more relaxed visit, 2 days certainly suffices, though you could keep busy for longer if you wanted.

I'm not sure what type of baby carrier you have, but while I wouldn't attempt Old Rag with it, most of the shorter 1-2 mile hikes should be totally fine, as long as you're comfortable carrying the baby that far.

I'd also highly recommend Luray Caverns just outside the park.

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2023, 12:48:42 PM »
Anyone know of a minyan in the area July 16 - 18?

Offline clark_henry

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2023, 01:33:48 AM »
If you are looking to observe a Minyan while visiting Shenandoah National Park, there may be nearby Jewish communities or synagogues in towns or cities outside the park, like Harrisonburg or Charlottesville.