Author Topic: Home Improvements  (Read 15253 times)

Offline Shmelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Home Improvements
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
Im in to DIY stuff... Thinking of installing a backsplash. Is that crazy?
Not crazy at all, I've done it twice. If you buy a mesh backed tile, its as simple as applying the adhesive to the wall and then slapping the tile up against it. (Not exactly that simple and there are more steps, but a fairly painless process.) DON'T use a peel and stick tile, there's a reason they're so cheap. Any idea what color scheme or material you'd like to use?
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 02:07:56 PM »
Not crazy at all, I've done it twice. If you buy a mesh backed tile, its as simple as applying the adhesive to the wall and then slapping the tile up against it. (Not exactly that simple and there are more steps, but a fairly painless process.) DON'T use a peel and stick tile, there's a reason they're so cheap. Any idea what color scheme or material you'd like to use?
Im nervous mostly about the cutting to size, mesh should make things easy :)... Re. color wifes gonna have to choose; material probably ceramic-what's cheapest?

Offline smee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
i buy the cheap ones and replace them when the crew pull them apart
same here, will probably upgrade when we get a house. They do have some that are pretty durable.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:58:14 PM by smee123 »

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 04:10:37 PM »
Im nervous mostly about the cutting to size, mesh should make things easy :)... Re. color wifes gonna have to choose; material probably ceramic-what's cheapest?
My personal feelings on this are that the backsplash you're going to put up is going to be there right in your face for a long time, so don't go the cheapest route if you don't have to. The 2 backsplashes I've done (for myself and my sister) needed only 8 square feet and 18 square feet of tile. We paid something like $14 per sq ft of mosaic tile, so its really not that big an outlay of money when you think about it (unless you have a huge kitchen). And they both look beautiful. Like straight out of a magazine beautiful. You're not going to get that with ceramic.

I used this tile for my sister's kitchen http://www.glasstilestore.com/fusion-shagbark-1x1-marble-glass-tiles.html. (One of the pictures on that page is actually from the job I did.) I got the other tile from there as well but can't find it now. Both of them were mosaics that were on a mesh sheet, which makes it really easy to cut away where you need to. The only hard part was cutting around an outlet, there were 3 squares that I had to cut through. I borrowed this huge table saw thing from a friend of a friend (I think Home Depot rents them, they're called wetsaws IIRC) and learned how to use it from youtube - got it perfectly on my 2nd try. The grout covered up any jaggedness that was left behind.

You must use non-sanded grout or you will ruin the glass, and you need to wipe it off really quickly. I'm sure I have other tips but its been a couple years, so you'll have to jog my memory with questions.     
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »
My personal feelings on this are that the backsplash you're going to put up is going to be there right in your face for a long time, so don't go the cheapest route if you don't have to. The 2 backsplashes I've done (for myself and my sister) needed only 8 square feet and 18 square feet of tile. We paid something like $14 per sq ft of mosaic tile, so its really not that big an outlay of money when you think about it (unless you have a huge kitchen). And they both look beautiful. Like straight out of a magazine beautiful. You're not going to get that with ceramic.

I used this tile for my sister's kitchen http://www.glasstilestore.com/fusion-shagbark-1x1-marble-glass-tiles.html. (One of the pictures on that page is actually from the job I did.) I got the other tile from there as well but can't find it now. Both of them were mosaics that were on a mesh sheet, which makes it really easy to cut away where you need to. The only hard part was cutting around an outlet, there were 3 squares that I had to cut through. I borrowed this huge table saw thing from a friend of a friend (I think Home Depot rents them, they're called wetsaws IIRC) and learned how to use it from youtube - got it perfectly on my 2nd try. The grout covered up any jaggedness that was left behind.

You must use non-sanded grout or you will ruin the glass, and you need to wipe it off really quickly. I'm sure I have other tips but its been a couple years, so you'll have to jog my memory with questions.   
Thanks alot!
Not sure when Il get round to it but good info.

Offline bzam99

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 11:17:21 AM »
Anybody have experience using an airless paint sprayer to paint a couple of rooms? There is one in Home Depot that is going for 50% off (from $200 to $100)-any insights would be appreciated.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100661422?productId=100661422&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&PID=806314&cm_mmc=CJ-_-806314-_-10368321&SID=C5B1L3BR2S34225-2013-07-03-11-09-p-134508&AID=10368321&cj=true#.UdQ-9vnFVqU

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »
That takes out all the fun! Painting old school is awesome.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »
i think spray gets on celing etc and is best for new construction. CMIIW

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 02:45:48 PM »
i think spray gets on celing etc and is best for new construction. CMIIW
+1 spray is mostly used for the primer which is put on before any flooring... its messy and gets all over. For painting (semi gloss or eggshell) you'll want to use a roller which gives the paint a bit of a texture. (flat paint may be diff)

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 10:11:26 AM »
Whats the going rate to have a room (converted garage, not huge. Currently is hot pink..) painted? {The owner will buy paint and supplies.}

Offline bzam99

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »
I have a very small water heater and am replacing to a larger one. How many gallons should I get for a frum family (thining about erev shabbos and yuntif) I dont want to buy one for a bunk but want to be practical.

Also I am having a diffulcult time finding them in stores (larger ones).
Any help would be appreciated

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »
I have a very small water heater and am replacing to a larger one. How many gallons should I get for a frum family (thining about erev shabbos and yuntif) I dont want to buy one for a bunk but want to be practical.

We have (I think) a 55 gallon.  We are a family of 8 (oldest is 8).  Day-to-day and erev Shabbos usage is plenty.  We often have guests (this past yom tov we had a total of 17 in our house) and as long as everyone does not use the showers within the same hour, we are fine.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »

We had a 50 that was OK.  When it died it was replaced with a 40 gallon that wasn't nearly enough.  So now we have 2x40 and never run out :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline bzam99

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 02:48:56 PM »
We have (I think) a 55 gallon.  We are a family of 8 (oldest is 8).  Day-to-day and erev Shabbos usage is plenty.  We often have guests (this past yom tov we had a total of 17 in our house) and as long as everyone does not use the showers within the same hour, we are fine.
Hmmm, I only see 50 gal. ones you think the 5 gal will make a significant difference. (its 10% smaller!)

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 03:29:45 PM »
We had a 50 that was OK.  When it died it was replaced with a 40 gallon that wasn't nearly enough.  So now we have 2x40 and never run out :)
Isn't that more expensive to heat?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 03:37:24 PM »
Isn't that more expensive to heat?
My gas usage bill last month was $12 and that includes the 2 water heaters, gas dryer, gas grill, and gas stove.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
I need durable blinds/shades that are aesthetically pleasant and durable for the little crew. Any ideas?
For an oversized shade for my porch door, I got one at blinds.com  It was cheaper than Home depot/ Lowe's. And they custom made the exact size I needed.
Whats the going rate to have a room (converted garage, not huge. Currently is hot pink..) painted? {The owner will buy paint and supplies.}
I had a handyman painter than charged $105/day for the labor. Estimate how many days it'll take you, multiply by 1.5 or 2, multiply by $125, and that might be an appropriate price.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »
I got it done for 200$ with the ceiling.

Offline puddles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for a handyman in Brooklyn?

Offline bzam99

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 11:09:52 AM »
My water dispenser in the refrigerator is extremely slow. I assume it is the water filter which hasn't been replaced in a really long time. However, when I take off the filter and push the water button the water still only trickles out. Does that mean that the problem is somewhere other than the filter?
On the GE site it says "To confirm a clogged filter, please remove the filter and install the supplied filter bypass plug in its place. Try the dispenser, if the water flow improves from the dispenser, the filter is clogged and needs to be replaced." I don't have this bypass piece, so I am wondering if my test of simply unscrewing the filter is not a thorough diagnostic test to rule out filter issues.
Anybody ideas?