Topic Wiki

For those that don't know how certificates work.

Seven night and five night certificates

1. Marriott certificates can be used for any reservation that can be booked with points. To search for reward availability simply go to marriott.com and check the box to search "using points".

Marriott hotels are divided into categories. (Cheapest being category one) below is a list of all the category 1-4 hotels  http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/Category1.hotels.Category2.Category3.Category4.Category5/

2. A 5/7 night certificates must be used for 5/7 consecutive nights. The reservation cannot be split up.

3. In order to hold the room you need a credit card. Your card will be kept for incidentals and you won't be charged for the room.

4. Certificates can be gifted BUT the room needs to be booked under the account holders name and you will be added a secondary guest.

5. Gold or plat benefits depend heavily on the hotel. At check in you may or may not get an upgrade.

« Last edited by leeboy on April 02, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »

Author Topic: Marriott Certs Sale  (Read 340497 times)

Online Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Marriott Certs Sale
« Reply #2175 on: August 24, 2018, 12:03:18 PM »
A new Cat 7 will require a Ritz tier 4-5 cert from before and is going to cost you as those used to cost 540k Marriott and weren't awesome redemptions and not a lot of people got them.  A lot of people rolled the dice on a Ritz Tier 1-3 (myself included) thinking they would work but they only converted to tier 6 (even though they say they can be used for up to 60k a night). Since the hotel you want should price out at 16k a night for a 5 night stay, you may be better off just buying the SPG points from someone (or using 240k Marriott points if you previously had 80k starwood).

I think he was looking to stay all 7 nights.

I don't know about a Tier 4-5, but a few pages ago someone claimed to have sold a a Tier 1-3 for $1,750. Seems a little high for me, but assuming it's correct, that would place a Tier 4-5 certificate into the low to mid $2,000's just based on the difference in points (which doesn't even account for the scarcity of the certificates).

Maybe someone should start a wiki for the going rates of these certificates now that the market is essentially new?

Online Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: August 24, 2018, 12:05:28 PM »
BUMP.

Naf, these conversations are pertinent to the subject of the thread, especially considering that the market is now in flux due to the merger. I think it's more reasonable for you to disable the notifications for a few weeks, than to expect everyone to cease from discussing the pricing on this thread.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 55
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite
« Reply #2177 on: August 24, 2018, 12:15:38 PM »
Its really not that difficult: If you want to buy one post what you are willing to pay. If no one contacts you raise your offer.

If you want to sell one, post your selling price if no one contacts you lower your price.

Or stick an OBO at the end and you will get offers. The 3-4 people discussing the price is not helping anyone and is just cluttering the thread.

You do not need to justify your price either. The values are not fluid and each person buying or selling can get a different value out of the certificate. One person can be desperate and willing to pay more. Or a seller can be desperate and want to sell for cheap.

So to recap just post your price and that is enough. No reason to clutter the thread. This is a buying/selling thread not a discussion thread.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: August 24, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »
Naf, these conversations are pertinent to the subject of the thread, especially considering that the market is now in flux due to the merger. I think it's more reasonable for you to disable the notifications for a few weeks, than to expect everyone to cease from discussing the pricing on this thread.

+1

I think he was looking to stay all 7 nights.

I don't know about a Tier 4-5, but a few pages ago someone claimed to have sold a a Tier 1-3 for $1,750. Seems a little high for me, but assuming it's correct, that would place a Tier 4-5 certificate into the low to mid $2,000's just based on the difference in points (which doesn't even account for the scarcity of the certificates).

Maybe someone should start a wiki for the going rates of these certificates now that the market is essentially new?

Ah ok gotcha.  My point is how rare finding these Tier 4-5 certs would be.  If you are guestimating around 2k as the value (it may actually be higher because almost no one redeemed for a Tier 4-5 and those that did are most likely planning to use them themselves) he may be better off just buying the 120k startpoints (now 360k Marriott points) because I think a lot more people are sitting around with those balances than are sitting on certs with the intention to sell them...

And BTW I'm not cluttering this thread sharing this piece of advice because it will clutter the thread more for people posting for Tier 4-5 certs  (and then multiple posts with higher prices) that basically aren't for sale and also being a DDFer (in my mind) is trying to help people.  ;)

Offline keetoi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: August 24, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
Hi I want to buy new cat 5, 7 night. Willing to pay $750 on it.

Please PM me if you are willing to sell.

Thanks.

Offline amk522

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: August 24, 2018, 01:44:50 PM »
Has a new category 7 rate been established for a 7 night certificate? Even a range? I would like to book something, but I have no frame of reference for price.

I didn't mean to cause a stir. I get this is a buy/sell thread and if in the future the correct thing to do is bring this to a hotel forum thread then I will do that, my apologies. I think my next question is valid for me to ask before I actually post a price. I am looking at a hotel that is a category 7, but when I put in the week I am looking for, I see the point total is 360k, I would have assumed it would be 420k (assuming this prices is 1 night free). Also, the week I am looking at is most definitely a peak week. Does this mean that I only need to purchase a category 6 certificate? I apologize for my ignorance, I haven't purchased a cert before.

Online EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: August 24, 2018, 04:25:15 PM »
I didn't mean to cause a stir. I get this is a buy/sell thread and if in the future the correct thing to do is bring this to a hotel forum thread then I will do that, my apologies. I think my next question is valid for me to ask before I actually post a price. I am looking at a hotel that is a category 7, but when I put in the week I am looking for, I see the point total is 360k, I would have assumed it would be 420k (assuming this prices is 1 night free). Also, the week I am looking at is most definitely a peak week. Does this mean that I only need to purchase a category 6 certificate? I apologize for my ignorance, I haven't purchased a cert before.

1. There's no peak/off peak pricing yet
2. You need to purchase the category of that particular hotel. The certificates are currently category based, not points or points + category based.
3. Category 7 is 60k points, so a week with one free day should price out as 360k points as you see.

Offline nuttha_s

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: August 25, 2018, 09:13:44 PM »
Buying two 5night 1-4cert @$350 for Platinum status.

Offline blur1717

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: August 25, 2018, 10:47:20 PM »
selling new category 1-4
7 night package from platinum premiere account $500

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: August 26, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »
Why would these sell for more now then previously?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: August 26, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »
Why would these sell for more now then previously?

Ain't no  more coming down the pipeline (like how artwork rises in value when the artist dies)...also tons more SPG hotels and other hotels that went down in category where you can use them, so much for versatile.

Online Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: August 26, 2018, 10:34:21 PM »
 Looking to trade a category 1-4 7-night cert plus $400 for a new category 5.

Offline mazel1

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: August 27, 2018, 08:50:32 AM »
i have 2 of them so its subjective but knowing they can be switched in we have 2 years to use them - once peak kicks in a tier 9 of maximized will be 360k marriott - the cost of that in swiping will be 180k dollars most saavy dansdeals members wont be swiping  using their spg cards eitherway so buying points wont make sense and at 180k spend worse case sceanrio its worth 1800 if u used a capital one and got 2 points would be 3600 - so discount the fact thats its 7 nights and most ppl dont need that so then u have 240k marriott still costing 120k in swiping once the market starts clearing out Hence the value of 17-1800 maybe more depending on the need of the individual but since everyone just bought them and will have a year to change them at least the tier 1-3 to a 9 will give 2 years of buying power therss no rush to sell at a discount and when the right buyer comes along who needs to spend 100k spg they will easily sell for the 17-1800

Offline CHEAPAVEDA

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: August 27, 2018, 06:09:25 PM »
with the new changes, will there be any Cat 1-5 certs for sale anymore?

Offline Maurice

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: August 27, 2018, 11:24:54 PM »
Seeking a 7-night certificate for a new cat 6, $1100