Topic Wiki

For those that don't know how certificates work.

Seven night and five night certificates

1. Marriott certificates can be used for any reservation that can be booked with points. To search for reward availability simply go to marriott.com and check the box to search "using points".

Marriott hotels are divided into categories. (Cheapest being category one) below is a list of all the category 1-4 hotels  http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/Category1.hotels.Category2.Category3.Category4.Category5/

2. A 5/7 night certificates must be used for 5/7 consecutive nights. The reservation cannot be split up.

3. In order to hold the room you need a credit card. Your card will be kept for incidentals and you won't be charged for the room.

4. Certificates can be gifted BUT the room needs to be booked under the account holders name and you will be added a secondary guest.

5. Gold or plat benefits depend heavily on the hotel. At check in you may or may not get an upgrade.

« Last edited by leeboy on April 02, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »

Author Topic: Marriott Certs Sale  (Read 321705 times)

Online CodeAdam10

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Marriott Certs Sale
« Reply #2895 on: January 10, 2019, 05:22:35 PM »
What happens if they buyer does not show up or want to cancel the reservation within the cancellation window?

IMO 'all sales are final' unless otherwise agreed upon In Advance. The only exception (as the seller) could be that the original buyer can find a replacement buyer themselves and the original seller can change the reservation, if that's a possibility.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Platinum Elite, American Express Platinum
« Reply #2896 on: January 10, 2019, 05:24:46 PM »
IMO 'all sales are final' unless otherwise agreed upon In Advance. The only exception (as the seller) could be that the original buyer can find a replacement buyer themselves and the original seller can change the reservation, if that's a possibility.
Agree 100%. The seller loses the ooportunity to sell to someone else during that time.. if you think thatís a possibility, stipulate that in advance
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
Shevy@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline hokiegl

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: January 10, 2019, 05:26:19 PM »

I am more interested in knowing how Marriott handles this. I assume they will charge me at least the 1st nights stay? Do they return the certificate? Or do I forfeit everything and get charged a nights stay? I assume that when I book the night in the buyers name I use my own credit card for the reservation. Right?

Offline the_dabbler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: January 10, 2019, 05:45:37 PM »
Bump - Price $450 OBO

Offering Cat 1-4 (new) 5 Night Cert with Gold Elite account
$600 OBO

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 55
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite
« Reply #2899 on: January 10, 2019, 05:51:21 PM »
I would word it as follows: You are buying the certificate. If you need to cancel that is fine but you need to find another use for the certificate. Either resell it or use it somewhere else. Unless of course you agreed to different arrangements with the seller beforehand

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: January 10, 2019, 05:52:48 PM »
I am more interested in knowing how Marriott handles this. I assume they will charge me at least the 1st nights stay? Do they return the certificate? Or do I forfeit everything and get charged a nights stay? I assume that when I book the night in the buyers name I use my own credit card for the reservation. Right?
That all depends on the cancellation policy of the hotel. Every hotel is different. But for the most part it shouldnt be hard to cancel without a penalty

Offline hokiegl

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: January 10, 2019, 06:05:46 PM »
That all depends on the cancellation policy of the hotel. Every hotel is different. But for the most part it shouldnt be hard to cancel without a penalty

I am concerned about the buyer not showing. I have no control over that. Typically if you don't show up you get charged. So I am trying to understand the maximum downside. If they don't show up, my CC will get charged for nights stay. Right?  So lets say I sell the cert for $500 and then the buyer never shows up and the hotel charges my CC $300 for the firsts night stay. Right? Is this something that is possible?  Or do you guys have the buyer provide his/her CC when you make the booking?

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: January 10, 2019, 06:11:21 PM »
I am concerned about the buyer not showing. I have no control over that. Typically if you don't show up you get charged. So I am trying to understand the maximum downside. If they don't show up, my CC will get charged for nights stay. Right?  So lets say I sell the cert for $500 and then the buyer never shows up and the hotel charges my CC $300 for the firsts night stay. Right? Is this something that is possible?  Or do you guys have the buyer provide his/her CC when you make the booking?
make the buyer give you his cc to put on the reservation.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Platinum Elite, American Express Platinum
« Reply #2903 on: January 10, 2019, 06:33:39 PM »
make the buyer give you his cc to put on the reservation.
+1 You should be doing this anyway, for incidentals etc.

Incidentally, I have yet to hear a horror story about any known forum member screwing anyone while performing a transaction, with one exception where there is a dispute over what happened.
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
Shevy@gownsbyshevy.com

Online ilovesojulee

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: January 10, 2019, 07:22:00 PM »
So what's the current status on Marriott's new (supposed) policy not allowing second guests to be added to reservations?  Anybody have successful bookings?

I'm interested in buying a 5-night award, but wondering if the seller could attempt to add my name first before I proceed with payment, sounds reasonable?

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: January 10, 2019, 07:39:13 PM »
wouldn't you get "charged" the cert? (as in, forfeit the cert). same like a points booking, or it works differently?

Offline dealtastic

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: January 10, 2019, 09:17:45 PM »
wouldn't you get "charged" the cert? (as in, forfeit the cert). same like a points booking, or it works differently?
There was a post where a no show caused the certificate to be returned and the night to be charged to CC. I believe that was for IHG though.

Offline g8trgr8t

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: January 10, 2019, 09:54:10 PM »
So what's the current status on Marriott's new (supposed) policy not allowing second guests to be added to reservations?  Anybody have successful bookings?

I'm interested in buying a 5-night award, but wondering if the seller could attempt to add my name first before I proceed with payment, sounds reasonable?

I recently bought a 7 night from ErikV and I called the hotel and was able to adds second guest without a problem

Offline g8trgr8t

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: January 10, 2019, 09:55:26 PM »
Need cat 4 for January 25 single night.  $110

Offline g8trgr8t

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile