Topic Wiki

IT'S IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND HOW REWARD BOOKINGS WORK BEFORE YOU TRANSACT.

1.   Marriott certificates can be used for any reservation that can be booked with points. To search for reward availability simply go to marriott.com and check the box to search "using points".
Marriott hotels are divided into categories. (Cheapest being category one)

What room types can you book?
You can book any STANDARD room that's available at marriott.com using reward points with no cap on the number of points. (standard room means it not an upgraded room. Every hotel lists their rooms differently, In some hotels, the standard room may even include suites)
To check, go to marriott.com and search for rooms. Make sure to check the option "Use Points/Certificates".

If it says:
Redemption - You can book that room no matter how many points it is
Redemption with Cash Upgrade - You can book however, the cert will cover the basic portion you will need to pay the additional cash upgrade fee.
Redemption with Points Upgrade - You cannot book using a certificate

2.   There are a few different types of certificates. Seven/five night certificates are the hotel portion of "Marriott travel packages" that the owner does not want or need anymore (google Marriott packages to learn more about them). Individuals many times buy these packages just to receive the airline miles and don’t end up using the hotel portion of the package. There are also single night certs given to account holders for holding a Marriott brand credit card

3.   A 7/5night-night certificate must be used for 7 consecutive nights. The reservation cannot be split up.

4.   In order to hold the room, you need a credit card. Your card will be kept for incidentals and you won't be charged for the room.

5.   MUST be booked BOOK 30 Days in Advance. THIS IS A TECHNICAL GLITCH WHICH MARRIOTT CLAIMS TO BE FIXING, HOWEVER, ITS MORE THAN A YEAR THAT THIS HAS BEEN AN ISSUE. In order to book with a certificate, reps must create the reservation as a points advance and then attach the cert. Marriott recently made a new rule that reservations made within 30 days aren’t eligible for points advance. If the account, you are booking with has enough points to cover the reservation you can book it as regular points and have the rep detach the points and attach the certificate.

6.   Travel package certs must be booked over the phone. Single night certs can be booked online

7.   The certificate sits on the account holders account and the elite night credits are officially credited to them. There is no way to transfer those stays to your account.

8.   If you are the traveler do not call Marriott reservations. This reservation is in someone else's account and calling may result in his/her account getting audited and the reservation canceled.

9.   The certificate covers the cost of the reservation including tax but does NOT include any resort fees, parking, and incidentals (for example food charged to the room)

10.   It's not possible to entirely remove the certificate owner from the reservation but your name is added as a secondary guest and a special code is added (M8 code) to inform the hotel that this reservation is in fact gifted to you. The hotels are very much aware of this.

You should be able to check-in as you would to a regular reservation with your own ID. You will need to provide a credit card to cover any incidentals, resort fees, and parking fees if there are any.

11.   You cannot add your Marriott account number to the reservation and generally, the hotel will go by the status on our account (which may be silver or gold at the time of check-in) however, it depends very much on the front desk rep at the time of check-in

12. Certs cannot be combined - e.g. you can't combine two 35k certificates to book a 60k room.

13. The "free fifth night" only applies to points bookings, not certificates.

See post #5805 for a history of bid/ask on these 1/5/7 night certificates of different levels
« Last edited by David61 on November 16, 2022, 12:09:46 PM »

Author Topic: Marriott Certs Sale  (Read 1650070 times)

Offline Baglach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
Re: Marriott Certs Sale
« Reply #1200 on: July 28, 2017, 12:05:05 AM »
Selling a Cat 6 7 night certificate out of a platinum account for $500

Offline youthink

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 28, 2017, 09:54:30 AM »
Selling 7 night certificate category 1 - 5 from a platinum account. Expires july, 2018. $500

Online Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 28, 2017, 10:29:04 AM »
Selling 7 night certificate category 1 - 5 from a platinum account. Expires july, 2018. $500

If you are serious about selling this certificate, you should drop the price significantly. Right above you, there is someone selling a Cat 6 Platinum certificate for the same price. There are many other people on the forum selling Gold 7-night Cat 1-5 certificates for $300, and even those will probably drop in price soon due to the recent AC promotion.

Offline anomadtoo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 28, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »
which AC promotion? sorry I'm not aware. If you're talking about Air Canada then a limited time transfer promo in the vacation package should not decrease the market going rate for these certs; but yes $500 is too high for that cert.

Online Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 28, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »
which AC promotion? sorry I'm not aware. If you're talking about Air Canada then a limited time transfer promo in the vacation package should not decrease the market going rate for these certs; but yes $500 is too high for that cert.

Yes, that one. I believe that the promotion will lead to a glut of these certificates on the market. But that's just my prediction, and I guess that time will tell.

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 31, 2017, 11:49:34 AM »
Selling a Cat 6 7 night certificate out of a platinum account for $500

can these be upgraded to a higher category by adding points? if yes, how many points to upgrade to cat 7?

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #1206 on: July 31, 2017, 12:34:44 PM »
can these be upgraded to a higher category by adding points? if yes, how many points to upgrade to cat 7?
30k points per category

Offline anomadtoo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 31, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »
selling a cat. 1-5 anniv. night @ $85, Gold account (should be Platinum end of next month), expires May 29, 2018. PM only please

sold

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 31, 2017, 04:41:31 PM »
Buying 5 night Cat 9 @$1050.
Pm me

Offline Jeremiah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 02, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »
Selling 7 night category 1-5 x2 from same GOLD account $600

Offline pnovick

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 02, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »
looking to buy a night for a category 5 for tonight for 100 or best offer

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #1211 on: August 02, 2017, 10:30:52 AM »
selling a few 7-night certs (cat 1-5).
Silver status or lower- $275
Gold status- $300

Also selling a few 5-night category 7 certificates for $700 $650 each.

Certs can be upgraded for additional $.

Still have some of each. PM for details.
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline wbc1991

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: August 02, 2017, 10:48:43 AM »
Are the 7 night certificates associated to the original account? As in if I purchase it, could my name be on the primary check in guest? Worried about checking in without the account holder. Thanks

Offline Admiller07

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 02, 2017, 10:48:49 AM »
Still have some of each. PM for details.
How do you find out what category a particular hotel is in?

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #1214 on: August 02, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »
Are the 7 night certificates associated to the original account? As in if I purchase it, could my name be on the primary check in guest? Worried about checking in without the account holder. Thanks
Pm sent
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline pnovick

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: August 02, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »
i'm looking to stay tonight in a category 5 hotel tonight near lakewood looking to pay 100 obo pls pm me

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: August 02, 2017, 12:13:25 PM »
i'm looking to stay tonight in a category 5 hotel tonight near lakewood looking to pay 100 obo pls pm me
PM sent

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #1217 on: August 02, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
no people are selling these certificates so the buyer can sponsor a hotel stay for the AH

Online Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 02, 2017, 02:14:08 PM »
no people are selling these certificates so the buyer can sponsor a hotel stay for the AH

I don't understand the need for sarcasm here. I think that the posted is just asking whether he can be listed as the primary guests, or if he has to be a second guest, in which case he is concerned about checking in without the AH. Seems like a valid question to me.

My answer to the original poster is it will most likely be impossible to get you listed as the primary guest. Some people claim that they can do it, but I wouldn't rely on it. The bottom line is that you have to be prepared to check-in as a second guests with a poker face. If you need everything to be by the books, then maybe these certificates aren't for you.

Offline wbc1991

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 02, 2017, 02:16:58 PM »
I don't understand the need for sarcasm here. I think that the posted is just asking whether he can be listed as the primary guests, or if he has to be a second guest, in which case he is concerned about checking in without the AH. Seems like a valid question to me.

My answer to the original poster is it will most likely be impossible to get you listed as the primary guest. Some people claim that they can do it, but I wouldn't rely on it. The bottom line is that you have to be prepared to check-in as a second guests with a poker face. If you need everything to be by the books, then maybe these certificates aren't for you.

Thank you, that answers my question perfectly!