Topic Wiki

IT'S IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND HOW REWARD BOOKINGS WORK BEFORE YOU TRANSACT.

1.   Marriott certificates can be used for any reservation that can be booked with points. To search for reward availability simply go to marriott.com and check the box to search "using points".
Marriott hotels are divided into categories. (Cheapest being category one)

What room types can you book?
You can book any STANDARD room that's available at marriott.com using reward points with no cap on the number of points. (standard room means it not an upgraded room. Every hotel lists their rooms differently, In some hotels, the standard room may even include suites)
To check, go to marriott.com and search for rooms. Make sure to check the option "Use Points/Certificates".

If it says:
Redemption - You can book that room no matter how many points it is
Redemption with Cash Upgrade - You can book however, the cert will cover the basic portion you will need to pay the additional cash upgrade fee.
Redemption with Points Upgrade - You cannot book using a certificate

2.   There are a few different types of certificates. Seven/five night certificates are the hotel portion of "Marriott travel packages" that the owner does not want or need anymore (google Marriott packages to learn more about them). Individuals many times buy these packages just to receive the airline miles and don’t end up using the hotel portion of the package. There are also single night certs given to account holders for holding a Marriott brand credit card

3.   A 7/5night-night certificate must be used for 7 consecutive nights. The reservation cannot be split up.

4.   In order to hold the room, you need a credit card. Your card will be kept for incidentals and you won't be charged for the room.

5.   MUST be booked BOOK 30 Days in Advance. THIS IS A TECHNICAL GLITCH WHICH MARRIOTT CLAIMS TO BE FIXING, HOWEVER, ITS MORE THAN A YEAR THAT THIS HAS BEEN AN ISSUE. In order to book with a certificate, reps must create the reservation as a points advance and then attach the cert. Marriott recently made a new rule that reservations made within 30 days aren’t eligible for points advance. If the account, you are booking with has enough points to cover the reservation you can book it as regular points and have the rep detach the points and attach the certificate.

6.   Travel package certs must be booked over the phone. Single night certs can be booked online

7.   The certificate sits on the account holders account and the elite night credits are officially credited to them. There is no way to transfer those stays to your account.

8.   If you are the traveler do not call Marriott reservations. This reservation is in someone else's account and calling may result in his/her account getting audited and the reservation canceled.

9.   The certificate covers the cost of the reservation including tax but does NOT include any resort fees, parking, and incidentals (for example food charged to the room)

10.   It's not possible to entirely remove the certificate owner from the reservation but your name is added as a secondary guest and a special code is added (M8 code) to inform the hotel that this reservation is in fact gifted to you. The hotels are very much aware of this.

You should be able to check-in as you would to a regular reservation with your own ID. You will need to provide a credit card to cover any incidentals, resort fees, and parking fees if there are any.

11.   You cannot add your Marriott account number to the reservation and generally, the hotel will go by the status on our account (which may be silver or gold at the time of check-in) however, it depends very much on the front desk rep at the time of check-in

12. Certs cannot be combined - e.g. you can't combine two 35k certificates to book a 60k room.

13. The "free fifth night" only applies to points bookings, not certificates.

See post #5805 for a history of bid/ask on these 1/5/7 night certificates of different levels
« Last edited by David61 on November 16, 2022, 12:09:46 PM »

Author Topic: Marriott Certs Sale  (Read 1650897 times)

Offline meir123

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Marriott Certs Sale
« Reply #2140 on: August 21, 2018, 07:26:54 AM »
Most people don't want to stay somewhere for 7 nights so it doesn't have the full points equivalent valutaion.

Offline Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: August 21, 2018, 09:14:58 AM »
Plus market forces are at play, so if more people have them than want them, prices will drop, regardless of their theoretical point equivalent.

Offline blur1717

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: August 21, 2018, 09:31:35 AM »
I am also looking for a new category 5 certificate and offering $500.
a

This certificate can be redeposited for 105,000 Marriott points if it was an original category 7 or  135K Marriott points if it was a category 8

If anyone is really selling for 500 , Ill buy three
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:36:26 AM by blur1717 »

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: August 21, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »
a

This certificate can be redeposited for 105,000 Marriott points if it was an original category 7 or  135K Marriott points if it was a category 8

If anyone is really selling for 500 , Ill buy three

Lol, I agree with you. But like you, if anyone is selling these for $500, I want to get in on that.

Based on a point valuation, (and assuming that any seller will receive the refund of 30,000 points before selling), the points value of these certificates will be 105,000. At the market rate of approx $0.0065 per point, we are talking about a points value of approximately $685. Factor a small discount because selling these certificates is easier than selling the points directly, and the floor on these will be $625-$65. The ceiling will be approximately $1,300, which is the cost of buying the points directly (but I expect the actual price to gravitate much closer to the floor than ceiling).

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:55:23 AM by Agoldsc1 »

Offline blur1717

• View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: August 21, 2018, 11:23:03 AM »
Lol, I agree with you. But like you, if anyone is selling these for $500, I want to get in on that.

Based on a point valuation, (and assuming that any seller will receive the refund of 30,000 points before selling), the points value of these certificates will be 105,000. At the market rate of approx $0.0065 per point, we are talking about a points value of approximately $685. Factor a small discount because selling these certificates is easier than selling the points directly, and the floor on these will be $625-$65. The ceiling will be approximately $1,300, which is the cost of buying the points directly (but I expect the actual price to gravitate much closer to the floor than ceiling).

Ill buy all your category 5 new for 625-650

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: August 21, 2018, 11:37:41 AM »

Ill buy all your category 5 new for 625-650

I think I was pretty clear that that price is the floor, calculated on the value of the points for which it could be exchanged, and not the market value. But out of curiosity, what do you think the market value will be for the new category 5?

Offline blur1717

• View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: August 21, 2018, 11:48:58 AM »
I think I was pretty clear that that price is the floor, calculated on the value of the points for which it could be exchanged, and not the market value. But out of curiosity, what do you think the market value will be for the new category 5?

I think fair price is prob  775-850

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: August 21, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »
Nobody selling these has posted a price. I think people looking to but are just posting a super low price to see if anyone will bite, which doesn't seem they have.

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: August 21, 2018, 01:06:13 PM »
Nobody selling these has posted a price. I think people looking to but are just posting a super low price to see if anyone will bite, which doesn't seem they have.

I think that all the sellers are afraid to make the first move without any basis for the price. People are also afraid because it looks like the T&Cs are still a little fluid, so no one really knows that they have on their hands. 

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: August 21, 2018, 01:15:04 PM »
There are more than enough threads where you guys can have this discussion.
Some of us have this thread set to notify every time there is a reply, so please only post if you're buying/selling and at what price.
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: August 21, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »
There are more than enough threads where you guys can have this discussion.
Some of us have this thread set to notify every time there is a reply, so please only post if you're buying/selling and at what price.
:o ::) :P ;D

Offline bmms8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: August 21, 2018, 01:35:59 PM »
Buying 7 night cat 1-5 and 1 night cat 1-5. PM me

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: August 21, 2018, 01:37:49 PM »
Buying 7 night cat 1-5 and 1 night cat 1-5. PM me

Don't think any 1 night cat 1-5 exists, and please post a price pursuant to forum rules.

Offline karl1402

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: August 21, 2018, 04:39:24 PM »
Cat 9 7N cert: 1600

Offline marriott certs

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: August 21, 2018, 09:44:31 PM »
i have a cat 1-4 marriott certificate to sell for 450$ please pm

Offline mazel1

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: August 21, 2018, 11:30:15 PM »
I sold one for 1750 tier 1-3 (cateory 9) they couldnt book it in time for the reservation tried phone and finally got an email back about 30 hours later to submit and couldnt make the 7 days so I had to refund - but people are willing to pay 1700+ - the valuation of points a 065 is a tough one most people wont sell for that.  I ended up helping him with a friend who was willing to sell me 300,000 marriott for 2000 so it would cost him an additional 250 (hence the savings) but even that is hard to find.

Online YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: August 22, 2018, 05:38:26 AM »
Seeking multiple new cat 6 (old cat 9 & tier 1-3).

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: August 22, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »
Seeking multiple new cat 6 (old cat 9 & tier 1-3).

Please post a price per forum rules.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: August 23, 2018, 11:55:55 AM »
Buying new Cat 5 7 night cert for $500 obo. I read the valuation above but I have the points to make the stay already and if not for the 7 nights, I would probably just stay 5 nights, pay for 4 with the 5th night free and then travel somewhere else. As much value as the cert could be worth, I just don't know many buyers who want to stay 7 nights straight in any one location especially at the lower category hotels.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2159 on: August 23, 2018, 12:06:38 PM »
Buying new Cat 5 7 night cert for $500 obo. I read the valuation above but I have the points to make the stay already and if not for the 7 nights, I would probably just stay 5 nights, pay for 4 with the 5th night free and then travel somewhere else. As much value as the cert could be worth, I just don't know many buyers who want to stay 7 nights straight in any one location especially at the lower category hotels.
you dont need to justify your price just post what you are willing to pay