Topic Wiki

IT'S IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND HOW REWARD BOOKINGS WORK BEFORE YOU TRANSACT.

1.   Marriott certificates can be used for any reservation that can be booked with points. To search for reward availability simply go to marriott.com and check the box to search "using points".
Marriott hotels are divided into categories. (Cheapest being category one)

What room types can you book?
You can book any STANDARD room that's available at marriott.com using reward points with no cap on the number of points. (standard room means it not an upgraded room. Every hotel lists their rooms differently, In some hotels, the standard room may even include suites)
To check, go to marriott.com and search for rooms. Make sure to check the option "Use Points/Certificates".

If it says:
Redemption - You can book that room no matter how many points it is
Redemption with Cash Upgrade - You can book however, the cert will cover the basic portion you will need to pay the additional cash upgrade fee.
Redemption with Points Upgrade - You cannot book using a certificate

2.   There are a few different types of certificates. Seven/five night certificates are the hotel portion of "Marriott travel packages" that the owner does not want or need anymore (google Marriott packages to learn more about them). Individuals many times buy these packages just to receive the airline miles and don’t end up using the hotel portion of the package. There are also single night certs given to account holders for holding a Marriott brand credit card

3.   A 7/5night-night certificate must be used for 7 consecutive nights. The reservation cannot be split up.

4.   In order to hold the room, you need a credit card. Your card will be kept for incidentals and you won't be charged for the room.

5.   MUST be booked BOOK 30 Days in Advance. THIS IS A TECHNICAL GLITCH WHICH MARRIOTT CLAIMS TO BE FIXING, HOWEVER, ITS MORE THAN A YEAR THAT THIS HAS BEEN AN ISSUE. In order to book with a certificate, reps must create the reservation as a points advance and then attach the cert. Marriott recently made a new rule that reservations made within 30 days aren’t eligible for points advance. If the account, you are booking with has enough points to cover the reservation you can book it as regular points and have the rep detach the points and attach the certificate.

6.   Travel package certs must be booked over the phone. Single night certs can be booked online

7.   The certificate sits on the account holders account and the elite night credits are officially credited to them. There is no way to transfer those stays to your account.

8.   If you are the traveler do not call Marriott reservations. This reservation is in someone else's account and calling may result in his/her account getting audited and the reservation canceled.

9.   The certificate covers the cost of the reservation including tax but does NOT include any resort fees, parking, and incidentals (for example food charged to the room)

10.   It's not possible to entirely remove the certificate owner from the reservation but your name is added as a secondary guest and a special code is added (M8 code) to inform the hotel that this reservation is in fact gifted to you. The hotels are very much aware of this.

You should be able to check-in as you would to a regular reservation with your own ID. You will need to provide a credit card to cover any incidentals, resort fees, and parking fees if there are any.

11.   You cannot add your Marriott account number to the reservation and generally, the hotel will go by the status on our account (which may be silver or gold at the time of check-in) however, it depends very much on the front desk rep at the time of check-in

12. Certs cannot be combined - e.g. you can't combine two 35k certificates to book a 60k room.

13. The "free fifth night" only applies to points bookings, not certificates.

See post #5805 for a history of bid/ask on these 1/5/7 night certificates of different levels
« Last edited by David61 on November 16, 2022, 12:09:46 PM »

Author Topic: Marriott Certs Sale  (Read 1650160 times)

Offline midnightinharlem

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Marriott Certs Sale
« Reply #6480 on: December 16, 2020, 01:05:07 PM »
Selling 1x 50k free night award certificate, expires 8/1/2021. Asking $250. Please PM if interested.

Thanks!

Offline marble1980

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: December 16, 2020, 05:43:14 PM »

@marble1980
Here is a copy of the form Submitted 6/12/20, 10:55 AM

You went ahead and disputed the charge with AMEX which essentially is just stealing from me.
I cannot take funds back from a seller 6 months after he sold me the cert because of something beyond his control. Again, I understand this isn't the answer you are looking for and I feel really sorry that the cert got messed up.
I do consult with a solid group of other brokers and mentors to make sure I am doing the honest thing in my business. If you feel it's morally ok to dispute the charge for this purchase then I guess it is what it is.

Again, that form wasn't provided until after I paid you. So whatever it says is really irrelevant as it was never disclosed up front. Thanks for posting my personal information online though, class act.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 08:23:48 PM by 12HRS »

Offline mdv

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Titanium Hyatt Globalist Hilton Diamond UA silver DL silver AC 25k Avis PC Hertz PC National EE
« Reply #6482 on: December 16, 2020, 06:09:28 PM »
I'm not a customer but upon reading the form it clearly says that the reservation IS NOT GUARANTEED
If anyone goes ahead with the purchase agreeing that they are paying for something not guaranteed then it's on them even if what causes the issue isn't his fault.
That being said.. that's obviously only if the buyer was provided the form before confirming the sale
Sorry I don't have any snarky line for this space

Offline leeboy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: December 16, 2020, 06:44:26 PM »
Again, that form wasn't provided until after I paid you. So whatever it says is really irrelevant as it was never disclosed up front. Thanks for posting my personal information online though, class act.

I apologize that was a mistake and it doesn't let me delete...
I reported to moderater
Everyone knows We do not do any bookings verbally or by email. Forms MUST be submitted for us to book. Regardless if payment was sent before or after we booked You had 6 months to cancel the sale if you didn't understand what you were purchasing
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 06:56:41 PM by leeboy »

Offline yitzyul

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: December 17, 2020, 09:51:52 AM »
Selling 1x50k free certificate, must use by 12/31
Asking $210- Gold account!

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: December 17, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »

@marble1980
Here is a copy of the form Submitted 6/12/20, 10:55 AM

You went ahead and disputed the charge with AMEX which essentially is just stealing from me.
I cannot take funds back from a seller 6 months after he sold me the cert because of something beyond his control. Again, I understand this isn't the answer you are looking for and I feel really sorry that the cert got messed up.
I do consult with a solid group of other brokers and mentors to make sure I am doing the honest thing in my business. If you feel it's morally ok to dispute the charge for this purchase then I guess it is what it is.

I don't see the copy attached.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Online Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: December 17, 2020, 10:25:38 AM »
Thanks for posting my personal information online though, class act.
I apologize that was a mistake and it doesn't let me delete...
I reported to moderater

Attachment was subsequently deleted by a mod thankfully.

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: December 17, 2020, 10:35:20 AM »

Attachment was subsequently deleted by a mod thankfully.

He can repost

- personal business info?

"Minus" personal info.

Offline israshot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: December 17, 2020, 11:08:53 AM »
I still see it on tapatalk.

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: December 17, 2020, 11:30:16 AM »
I still see it on tapatalk.
See it now.
Thanx.

Didn't think it was fare to start blaming others without a copy of what was agreed to.

Offline ybraustein

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: December 17, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »
1x 35k cert must use bef 12/31/20
Gold acc $75 obo

Offline Dodgery

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: December 18, 2020, 12:01:56 AM »
Buying two 35k certs for $75 each

Offline simplicity

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
« Reply #6492 on: December 18, 2020, 01:01:52 AM »
1x 35k cert must use bef 12/31/20
Gold acc $75 obo
why don’t you call up and get the cert extended? Selling at these price are pathetic when we know the cheapest the af’s are $95

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: December 18, 2020, 08:25:02 AM »
Buying 3 50k certificates. $600 OBO.

Offline israshot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: December 18, 2020, 11:44:16 AM »
Giving away 5 nights Marriott Cat. 1
The stay must be in December.

Offline maxswanson

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6495 on: December 19, 2020, 07:38:06 AM »
My experience with leeboy is bad, really bad. if you need, i can paste the whole emails with him or his people.
Because marriott extend all certificates at least 6 more months. my two certificate from 2019 extended again to 2021/8/1. I asked leeboy(or his people0 to change my reservation fronm this dec to next Mar. He/she refused and said the change is impossible. After i send them at least three emails and get no response. And my name is not on reservation and leeboy told me when checkin, tell hotel the account owner gifts me the certificate.

I called marriott the first time three days ago after no response from Leeboy. I retrieved the reservation detail and got the first guest name and address and email. Thw agent told me this account was under audit long time ago. They require account owner to send them ID. Now i understand the reason leeboy and his people do not want to help me to change the reservation.

Leeboy,i please give a response.

Eventually i received an email from Leeboy's people to offer change or cancel this category 8 certificate. The checking time is two days away. Hope they can make it. I will report later.

Offline bw1985

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
« Reply #6496 on: December 19, 2020, 10:44:57 AM »
Why anyone would buy these 5 or 7 night certs at this point beats me.

Offline deadman01121987

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: December 19, 2020, 11:08:48 AM »
Partial Package - 7 nights category 1-4 Expires: 08/01/2021 - 300$

2 * MAR BV AX FNA up to 35k points. Expires: 08/01/2021 - 75 each

Silver Elite account.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:14:01 AM by deadman01121987 »

Offline leeboy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: December 19, 2020, 09:03:40 PM »
Eventually i received an email from Leeboy's people to offer change or cancel this category 8 certificate. The checking time is two days away. Hope they can make it. I will report later.
@maxswanson

Well, after putting two and two together I was able to figure out what reservation you were referring to. (You could have simply messaged me here your name).

You in fact called Marriott on behalf of the account holder which made the account go into audit. You then went ahead and threatened one of my girls for a mistake you made.
The reservation was fine before you called Marriott.
I am sorry that this is against the rules and we will NOT be able to help you further..
Threatening doesn't get you anywhere... I am really sorry...

I will be happy to post screenshot and recording from the Marriott phone call.
Please don't call me out here in an open forum without sharing all the details or at least letting me know who you are and your reservation details so I can look it up ...
You purchased this certificate almost a year ago
 We worked to book you and the reservationwas fine until you wanted to cancel 2 weeks ago there was no issue.
Now that you messed something up you call us out? Not really nice man...

Its unfortunate but while most people are honest there are those who will also try to scam us by disputing charges after a stay, call up Marriott to take more points, or try to use the account holder credit card to rack up bills at the hotel...

« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 09:08:44 PM by leeboy »

Offline unicorn_cactus

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: December 19, 2020, 10:07:06 PM »
I purchased a certificate back in August for a stay in Jackson, Wyoming that saved me almost $2K. I knew, as I do with all of the deals here, that there was a risk but I felt confident I could talk my way through it with the hotel staff if something happened. Perhaps I was overly confident. For me, the risk is worth the reward BUT I think it's very important for people to be well aware of the risks before purchasing. And STOP CALLING MARRIOTT! He goes out of his way to tell you NOT to do this yet people do it anyway. I don't get it. I would happily purchase again.