Topic Wiki

IT'S IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND HOW REWARD BOOKINGS WORK BEFORE YOU TRANSACT.

1.   Marriott certificates can be used for any reservation that can be booked with points. To search for reward availability simply go to marriott.com and check the box to search "using points".
Marriott hotels are divided into categories. (Cheapest being category one)

What room types can you book?
You can book any STANDARD room that's available at marriott.com using reward points with no cap on the number of points. (standard room means it not an upgraded room. Every hotel lists their rooms differently, In some hotels, the standard room may even include suites)
To check, go to marriott.com and search for rooms. Make sure to check the option "Use Points/Certificates".

If it says:
Redemption - You can book that room no matter how many points it is
Redemption with Cash Upgrade - You can book however, the cert will cover the basic portion you will need to pay the additional cash upgrade fee.
Redemption with Points Upgrade - You cannot book using a certificate

2.   There are a few different types of certificates. Seven/five night certificates are the hotel portion of "Marriott travel packages" that the owner does not want or need anymore (google Marriott packages to learn more about them). Individuals many times buy these packages just to receive the airline miles and don’t end up using the hotel portion of the package. There are also single night certs given to account holders for holding a Marriott brand credit card

3.   A 7/5night-night certificate must be used for 7 consecutive nights. The reservation cannot be split up.

4.   In order to hold the room, you need a credit card. Your card will be kept for incidentals and you won't be charged for the room.

5.   MUST be booked BOOK 30 Days in Advance. THIS IS A TECHNICAL GLITCH WHICH MARRIOTT CLAIMS TO BE FIXING, HOWEVER, ITS MORE THAN A YEAR THAT THIS HAS BEEN AN ISSUE. In order to book with a certificate, reps must create the reservation as a points advance and then attach the cert. Marriott recently made a new rule that reservations made within 30 days aren’t eligible for points advance. If the account, you are booking with has enough points to cover the reservation you can book it as regular points and have the rep detach the points and attach the certificate.

6.   Travel package certs must be booked over the phone. Single night certs can be booked online

7.   The certificate sits on the account holders account and the elite night credits are officially credited to them. There is no way to transfer those stays to your account.

8.   If you are the traveler do not call Marriott reservations. This reservation is in someone else's account and calling may result in his/her account getting audited and the reservation canceled.

9.   The certificate covers the cost of the reservation including tax but does NOT include any resort fees, parking, and incidentals (for example food charged to the room)

10.   It's not possible to entirely remove the certificate owner from the reservation but your name is added as a secondary guest and a special code is added (M8 code) to inform the hotel that this reservation is in fact gifted to you. The hotels are very much aware of this.

You should be able to check-in as you would to a regular reservation with your own ID. You will need to provide a credit card to cover any incidentals, resort fees, and parking fees if there are any.

11.   You cannot add your Marriott account number to the reservation and generally, the hotel will go by the status on our account (which may be silver or gold at the time of check-in) however, it depends very much on the front desk rep at the time of check-in

12. Certs cannot be combined - e.g. you can't combine two 35k certificates to book a 60k room.

13. The "free fifth night" only applies to points bookings, not certificates.

See post #5805 for a history of bid/ask on these 1/5/7 night certificates of different levels
« Last edited by David61 on November 16, 2022, 12:09:46 PM »

Author Topic: Marriott Certs Sale  (Read 1683117 times)

Offline RichardA323

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite
Re: Marriott Certs Sale
« Reply #6500 on: December 20, 2020, 12:42:37 AM »
Why anyone would buy these 5 or 7-night certs at this point beats me.
Please don't take this personally...
I don't think you been reading or keeping up with all the important facts from both the buyer and seller. The more facts that are starting to come out the more I'm giving credit to Leeboy.
1) The certificate was sold over a year ago... I don't understand why it's taking so long for the buyer to redeem as this is not a gift card or a book whenever you want an agency. I understand situations do arise but from a seller's standpoint, I couldn't deal with this type of buyer as it seems this individual wasn't sure of his dates.... what do you expect the seller to do?????
2)The second issue is impersonating the account holder which obviously can lead to your account being banned from Marriott because the buyer has admitted through his comments through this entire week to doing just that. Personally, this is a big red flag as I would never do business with this user.... You could lose everything and this is my warning to all users!!! pleaseeee be careful who you choose to do business with as this is a golden rule
Lastly, I have yet to read a post about a situation where the buyer made a solid booking (without any changes or anything excuse) The users that are complaining aren't sharing the entire story which I first did feel bad for their experience.... I just look at the facts and draw my own conclusions.

Offline yitzyul

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: December 20, 2020, 12:34:32 PM »
Selling 1x50k free certificate, must use by 12/31
Asking $205- Gold account!

Still available!

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: December 20, 2020, 12:53:12 PM »
The more facts that are starting to come out the more I'm giving credit to Leeboy.

+1. It seems the complainers have dug themselves into a hole that they couldn't get out of and are now throwing the blame on the easiest target. Although I personally wouldn't buy these certs especially with their inherent risks, I can understand why someone would even just to save 50% on a stay - its very enticing. But they must understand that there are risks involved especially if they don't do a straightforward untouched booking.

1) The certificate was sold over a year ago...  ...as it seems this individual wasn't sure of his dates....

I totally don't understand this either. I'm not getting why someone would buy a certificate without having 100% definitive dates (of course there can be adverse circumstances that may cause cancelation or change but at least I would only buy if I was ready to book dates that are going to almost for sure work for me barring anything crazy happening. I know covid happened here and may be at play but it doesn’t seem to be just that.).

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: December 20, 2020, 01:22:21 PM »
Selling from gold account:
50k night exp 1/31 $200
35k night exp 3/06 $110
25k night exp 1/31 $100
OBO
BUMP
Willing to negotiate

Offline Pesach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: December 20, 2020, 02:05:43 PM »
does anyone have a 70k night cert for one night this week for sale if such a thing exists?

Offline Pesach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: December 20, 2020, 02:06:14 PM »
can someone give  the going rate for a suite certificate? whats fair to pay?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 03:03:18 PM by Pesach »

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #6506 on: December 20, 2020, 03:16:40 PM »
lots of people giving them away for free

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: December 20, 2020, 03:38:32 PM »

Will give away for free. Pm me

Offline simplicity

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
« Reply #6508 on: December 20, 2020, 03:57:05 PM »
Will give away for free. Pm me
must I use your account for the reservation to use?

Offline maxswanson

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: December 20, 2020, 04:27:40 PM »
@maxswanson

Well, after putting two and two together I was able to figure out what reservation you were referring to. (You could have simply messaged me here your name).

You in fact called Marriott on behalf of the account holder which made the account go into audit. You then went ahead and threatened one of my girls for a mistake you made.
The reservation was fine before you called Marriott.
I am sorry that this is against the rules and we will NOT be able to help you further..
Threatening doesn't get you anywhere... I am really sorry...

I will be happy to post screenshot and recording from the Marriott phone call.
Please don't call me out here in an open forum without sharing all the details or at least letting me know who you are and your reservation details so I can look it up ...
You purchased this certificate almost a year ago
 We worked to book you and the reservationwas fine until you wanted to cancel 2 weeks ago there was no issue.
Now that you messed something up you call us out? Not really nice man...

Its unfortunate but while most people are honest there are those who will also try to scam us by disputing charges after a stay, call up Marriott to take more points, or try to use the account holder credit card to rack up bills at the hotel...

Yes, I called marriott after your people refuse to do anything. Please post your screenshot and i first post my email screeshots here. For privacy, i don't leave names on the screenshots. This is the first time i post screenshots here. Please read from A1,A2,A3,A4,A5. Thanks!

Offline israshot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6510 on: December 20, 2020, 04:34:44 PM »

Yes, I called marriott after your people refuse to do anything. Please post your screenshot and i first post my email screeshots here. For privacy, i don't leave names on the screenshots. This is the first time i post screenshots here. Please read from A1,A2,A3,A4,A5. Thanks!

You keep showing your lack of understanding of the service you purchased. Thank you for posting all the screenshot proving that leeboy was fair with you.
For your benefit, stop posting here. I wouldn't make a transaction with you in the future.

Offline maxswanson

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: December 20, 2020, 04:37:24 PM »
Please don't take this personally...
I don't think you been reading or keeping up with all the important facts from both the buyer and seller. The more facts that are starting to come out the more I'm giving credit to Leeboy.
1) The certificate was sold over a year ago... I don't understand why it's taking so long for the buyer to redeem as this is not a gift card or a book whenever you want an agency. I understand situations do arise but from a seller's standpoint, I couldn't deal with this type of buyer as it seems this individual wasn't sure of his dates.... what do you expect the seller to do?????
2)The second issue is impersonating the account holder which obviously can lead to your account being banned from Marriott because the buyer has admitted through his comments through this entire week to doing just that. Personally, this is a big red flag as I would never do business with this user.... You could lose everything and this is my warning to all users!!! pleaseeee be careful who you choose to do business with as this is a golden rule
Lastly, I have yet to read a post about a situation where the buyer made a solid booking (without any changes or anything excuse) The users that are complaining aren't sharing the entire story which I first did feel bad for their experience.... I just look at the facts and draw my own conclusions.

My reservation date is firm. We did plan to have a vacation there. You can read it from screenshot.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 04:41:23 PM by maxswanson »

Offline maxswanson

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: December 20, 2020, 04:40:56 PM »
Eventually i received an email from Leeboy's people to offer change or cancel this category 8 certificate. The checking time is two days away. Hope they can make it. I will report later.

The last screenshot shows the email their people sent to me. And then leeboy had that response.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 04:44:55 PM by maxswanson »

Offline Shaya E

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: December 20, 2020, 05:07:03 PM »

Dude, stop. Period. The more you post the more you look in the wrong.

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: December 20, 2020, 05:15:42 PM »
must I use your account for the reservation to use?

yes

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: December 20, 2020, 05:28:41 PM »
You keep showing your lack of understanding of the service you purchased. Thank you for posting all the screenshot proving that leeboy was fair with you.
For your benefit, stop posting here. I wouldn't make a transaction with you in the future.

Leeboy went above and beyond to be fair especially given the fact that OP called Marriott which is a huge no, no.

Everyone here knows that when you have travel booked on your behalf using someone else's miles, points, certificates, etc (which we all know is officially against TOS but we do it "under the table" anyway") you never ever call the hotel/airline. Only the owner of the account it was booked from should ever call. Once the OP did that he/she lost credibility.

Offline maxswanson

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: December 20, 2020, 05:49:38 PM »
@maxswanson

Well, after putting two and two together I was able to figure out what reservation you were referring to. (You could have simply messaged me here your name).

You in fact called Marriott on behalf of the account holder which made the account go into audit. You then went ahead and threatened one of my girls for a mistake you made.

The reservation was fine before you called Marriott.
I am sorry that this is against the rules and we will NOT be able to help you further..
Threatening doesn't get you anywhere... I am really sorry...

I will be happy to post screenshot and recording from the Marriott phone call.
Please don't call me out here in an open forum without sharing all the details or at least letting me know who you are and your reservation details so I can look it up ...
You purchased this certificate almost a year ago
 We worked to book you and the reservationwas fine until you wanted to cancel 2 weeks ago there was no issue.
Now that you messed something up you call us out? Not really nice man...

Its unfortunate but while most people are honest there are those who will also try to scam us by disputing charges after a stay, call up Marriott to take more points, or try to use the account holder credit card to rack up bills at the hotel...

This is a lie. i sent you email on Nov. 14, 2020 to ask for change or cancel the reservation. Your people replied on the same day and said you cannot help me. Please check the first screenshot.

I sent you email on Nov. 25 and 27. Your people replied on Nov. 27, 2020 and still no help which is on the second Screeshot.

I replied two emails on Nov.27 and did not recieve any response which is on fourth screenshot.

After 15days waiting, i still did not recieve any respnse. I called marriott on dec. 12, 2020 and marriott told me the account was under audit long time ago and ask for identityinformation. i sent you email on the same day and ask you sent information to marriott which is also on the fourth screeshot.

And i post complain here. Eventually your people responded on dec. 19, 2020.

if your people offered help, i would not call marriott.

Offline maxswanson

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: December 20, 2020, 06:00:59 PM »
Leeboy went above and beyond to be fair especially given the fact that OP called Marriott which is a huge no, no.

Everyone here knows that when you have travel booked on your behalf using someone else's miles, points, certificates, etc (which we all know is officially against TOS but we do it "under the table" anyway") you never ever call the hotel/airline. Only the owner of the account it was booked from should ever call. Once the OP did that he/she lost credibility.

Did you really read the timeline of the emails. If their people offered help, i would not call marriott. After almost three weeks waiting and got no help from them, and the reservation was near, i called marriott.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: December 20, 2020, 09:08:42 PM »
Did you really read the timeline of the emails. If their people offered help, i would not call marriott. After almost three weeks waiting and got no help from them, and the reservation was near, i called marriott.

I sure did. But you bought a cert end of 2019 and booked for a year later at end of 2020 and most likely (or surely) that certificate could not be extended even with the COVID extensions - not all certificates were able to be extended due to COVID especially if this one had already been previously extended. I don't know all the details surrounding your particular certificate, all I can say is that #1 buying a certificate is risky. Period. #2 buying one a year out is even more risky. (Would never buy one of these, but if I did, not more than 2 months max before I plan to use.) #3 I would never call Marriott, no matter what. I would be super frustrated to lose $1800 too, but I would persistently email and call the broker rather than go call Marriott and jeopardize things for the account owner. Just my 2 cents.

I wish you all the best and I hope things work out for you.

Offline ShorYoshuvGuy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: December 20, 2020, 09:24:56 PM »
[Have] 2 X Marriott 35k Cert exp 08/01/2021 and 11/02/21 - Gold Elite

[Want] $120 each - PayPal, Zelle