Topic Wiki

IT'S IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND HOW REWARD BOOKINGS WORK BEFORE YOU TRANSACT.

1.   Marriott certificates can be used for any reservation that can be booked with points. To search for reward availability simply go to marriott.com and check the box to search "using points".
Marriott hotels are divided into categories. (Cheapest being category one)

What room types can you book?
You can book any STANDARD room that's available at marriott.com using reward points with no cap on the number of points. (standard room means it not an upgraded room. Every hotel lists their rooms differently, In some hotels, the standard room may even include suites)
To check, go to marriott.com and search for rooms. Make sure to check the option "Use Points/Certificates".

If it says:
Redemption - You can book that room no matter how many points it is
Redemption with Cash Upgrade - You can book however, the cert will cover the basic portion you will need to pay the additional cash upgrade fee.
Redemption with Points Upgrade - You cannot book using a certificate

2.   There are a few different types of certificates. Seven/five night certificates are the hotel portion of "Marriott travel packages" that the owner does not want or need anymore (google Marriott packages to learn more about them). Individuals many times buy these packages just to receive the airline miles and don’t end up using the hotel portion of the package. There are also single night certs given to account holders for holding a Marriott brand credit card

3.   A 7/5night-night certificate must be used for 7 consecutive nights. The reservation cannot be split up.

4.   In order to hold the room, you need a credit card. Your card will be kept for incidentals and you won't be charged for the room.

5.   MUST be booked BOOK 30 Days in Advance. THIS IS A TECHNICAL GLITCH WHICH MARRIOTT CLAIMS TO BE FIXING, HOWEVER, ITS MORE THAN A YEAR THAT THIS HAS BEEN AN ISSUE. In order to book with a certificate, reps must create the reservation as a points advance and then attach the cert. Marriott recently made a new rule that reservations made within 30 days aren’t eligible for points advance. If the account, you are booking with has enough points to cover the reservation you can book it as regular points and have the rep detach the points and attach the certificate.

6.   Travel package certs must be booked over the phone. Single night certs can be booked online

7.   The certificate sits on the account holders account and the elite night credits are officially credited to them. There is no way to transfer those stays to your account.

8.   If you are the traveler do not call Marriott reservations. This reservation is in someone else's account and calling may result in his/her account getting audited and the reservation canceled.

9.   The certificate covers the cost of the reservation including tax but does NOT include any resort fees, parking, and incidentals (for example food charged to the room)

10.   It's not possible to entirely remove the certificate owner from the reservation but your name is added as a secondary guest and a special code is added (M8 code) to inform the hotel that this reservation is in fact gifted to you. The hotels are very much aware of this.

You should be able to check-in as you would to a regular reservation with your own ID. You will need to provide a credit card to cover any incidentals, resort fees, and parking fees if there are any.

11.   You cannot add your Marriott account number to the reservation and generally, the hotel will go by the status on our account (which may be silver or gold at the time of check-in) however, it depends very much on the front desk rep at the time of check-in

12. Certs cannot be combined - e.g. you can't combine two 35k certificates to book a 60k room.

13. The "free fifth night" only applies to points bookings, not certificates.

See post #5805 for a history of bid/ask on these 1/5/7 night certificates of different levels
« Last edited by David61 on November 16, 2022, 12:09:46 PM »

Author Topic: Marriott Certs Sale  (Read 1682584 times)

Offline maxswanson

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Marriott Certs Sale
« Reply #6520 on: December 21, 2020, 12:05:08 AM »
I sure did. But you bought a cert end of 2019 and booked for a year later at end of 2020 and most likely (or surely) that certificate could not be extended even with the COVID extensions - not all certificates were able to be extended due to COVID especially if this one had already been previously extended. I don't know all the details surrounding your particular certificate, all I can say is that #1 buying a certificate is risky. Period. #2 buying one a year out is even more risky. (Would never buy one of these, but if I did, not more than 2 months max before I plan to use.) #3 I would never call Marriott, no matter what. I would be super frustrated to lose $1800 too, but I would persistently email and call the broker rather than go call Marriott and jeopardize things for the account owner. Just my 2 cents.

I wish you all the best and I hope things work out for you.

Thank you! What you said  is reasonable this time.

First, you should also know christmas is very difficult time to find 7-day award reservation. That is the reason I book it earlier and that is also the trust of leeboy's team then. And since my family spent our christmas during last six years in that resorts, if there is no Covid and we cannot enter japan, we would be there almost definitely. We also had some other same time award reservations which has been successfully canceled and refunded on Nov. 24, 2020. Actually considering the covid situation in Japan, my family still tried to get business trip entry permit. Eventally our application had been declined.

Second, i do not know this certificate had been extended if you said about that is true. Actually, I have one 35k and one 40k certificates i got from 2019 extended to Aug. 1, 2021, which is second time extention. That is the reason I sent the email on screenshot Two.

Last, I fully understand risk. Leeboy's team at least should try to help his customers. But you can see from screenshot 1,2,3 they refused to offer any help. After three weeks wait and no respnse since i sent the first email, and there are 8 days left to the reservation, on Dec.12, 2020, I called marriott. My reservation is Dec. 20-27, 2020.

Frankly, it is not a big deal for me about losing that certificate. Leeboy claimed how their service is good in the former posts and I experienced a whole different story. I fully understand the difficulties they faced in this situation. But I think they should at least show goodwill they want to help their customers. They didn't and you can see from screenshot 1-4. The last email i got from them on Dec.19, 2020 is good. I appreciated that. But please read the last post Leeboy about this situation on December 19, 2020, 09:03:40 PM which i quoted above.  I do not think it is fair.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 12:46:15 AM by maxswanson »

Offline Danlover111

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: December 21, 2020, 07:16:48 AM »
Can we open a new thread?

Offline ybraustein

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: December 21, 2020, 07:50:02 AM »
1 35k cert $75 obo
Need to stay bed dec 31
Gold acc

Offline ALINN

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist marriot platinum
« Reply #6523 on: December 21, 2020, 08:56:41 AM »
If your interested in Book through a platinum elite account PM me.

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: December 21, 2020, 09:23:38 AM »
Looking for 3 50k certificates. $600 OBO.

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6525 on: December 21, 2020, 04:30:30 PM »
1 35k cert $75 obo
Need to stay bed dec 31
Gold acc
Smooth Transaction with @ybraustein
Thank you.

Offline Nonastai

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: December 21, 2020, 06:11:14 PM »
Selling 1 50k (From Ritz Carlton Card Free Night Reward) Silver Elite status for $180

Bump

Offline imoi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
« Reply #6527 on: December 21, 2020, 06:49:09 PM »
BUMP

Thank you @BB59
Smooth transaction + great experience. He also gave the hotel a heads-up which was helpful at checkin. Everything went great  :)

Offline troner100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: December 21, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »
looking for a 5 or 7 night Cat 5 Cert
please pm me

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: December 22, 2020, 10:19:39 AM »
looking for 5 night cat 5 cert. also, im missing 26k points for a specific stay. any easy way to top off my account or purchase from someone?
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #6530 on: December 22, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »
looking for 5 night cat 5 cert. also, im missing 26k points for a specific stay. any easy way to top off my account or purchase from someone?
buy 26k and have it transferred

Offline bh

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: December 22, 2020, 01:29:42 PM »
Selling 35K Night for $90

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: December 22, 2020, 04:56:26 PM »
Buy and transfer is easiest as @yeshivabucher said.

Not so easy would be to open cc if you can. Depends how much time you have.

Offline leeboy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: December 22, 2020, 06:48:13 PM »
Selling 2 bedroom suites - $6k
Ritz Carlton Bal Harbour      01/17 - 01/24
Ritz Carlton Bal Harbour      01/22 - 01/29

king bed - $2,300
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba      01/16 - 01/23

Offline mockamonkey

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: December 22, 2020, 07:28:24 PM »
Looking for a cat 7 cert, PM if offering! Thanks.

Offline mockamonkey

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: December 22, 2020, 08:26:25 PM »
Also not to ignite any more flames but I had an amazing experience working with leeboy and everything went as smooth as possible.

Buyers should be aware of what they're buying and if they break the rules like call Marriott they are responsible for the consequences.

Offline israshot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: December 22, 2020, 08:44:06 PM »
Not directly related but it gives an idea of the kind of people we can deal with in this forum.
I posted a few weeks ago that I'm giving away SNA for paid stay in 2020.
I had booked someone (for free) and he got upgraded to the top room. I took care of the all  reservation for him.
The guest asked me to insert a code for caregiver, which brought his stay to half of the price.
Obviously I'm doing all of it for the stay and points credit which was mentioned to the guest prior to his stay.
A week after the stay and the night credit didn't posted. I called marriott and they told me that this rate wasn't eligible for night and points credit.
I asked the guest if he can compensate me by booking another stay from my account or compensate me with money for my time and the lost SNA.
In response he called me a fraud and threatened to call Marriott to let them know that I book other guests from my account!
Shocking!

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: December 22, 2020, 08:47:00 PM »
Also not to ignite any more flames but I had an amazing experience working with leeboy and everything went as smooth as possible.

Buyers should be aware of what they're buying and even if they Don't break the rules they are responsible for the consequences, if it is more than 3 months out.
FTFY
Again, not to ignite any more flames, this was just a shocker to me.

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: December 22, 2020, 08:48:54 PM »
Not directly related but it gives an idea of the kind of people we can deal with in this forum.
I posted a few weeks ago that I'm giving away SNA for paid stay in 2020.
I had booked someone (for free) and he got upgraded to the top room. I took care of the all  reservation for him.
The guest asked me to insert a code for caregiver, which brought his stay to half of the price.
Obviously I'm doing all of it for the stay and points credit which was mentioned to the guest prior to his stay.
A week after the stay and the night credit didn't posted. I called marriott and they told me that this rate wasn't eligible for night and points credit.
I asked the guest if he can compensate me by booking another stay from my account or compensate me with money for my time and the lost SNA.
In response he called me a fraud and threatened to call Marriott to let them know that I book other guests from my account!
Shocking!
Lowlife.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: December 22, 2020, 09:30:22 PM »
Ouch. Isn't there a thread to report these lowlifes. In any case, thanks for pointing out that we have to be careful with who to do business.