Topic Wiki

IT'S IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND HOW REWARD BOOKINGS WORK BEFORE YOU TRANSACT.

1.   Marriott certificates can be used for any reservation that can be booked with points. To search for reward availability simply go to marriott.com and check the box to search "using points".
Marriott hotels are divided into categories. (Cheapest being category one)

What room types can you book?
You can book any STANDARD room that's available at marriott.com using reward points with no cap on the number of points. (standard room means it not an upgraded room. Every hotel lists their rooms differently, In some hotels, the standard room may even include suites)
To check, go to marriott.com and search for rooms. Make sure to check the option "Use Points/Certificates".

If it says:
Redemption - You can book that room no matter how many points it is
Redemption with Cash Upgrade - You can book however, the cert will cover the basic portion you will need to pay the additional cash upgrade fee.
Redemption with Points Upgrade - You cannot book using a certificate

2.   There are a few different types of certificates. Seven/five night certificates are the hotel portion of "Marriott travel packages" that the owner does not want or need anymore (google Marriott packages to learn more about them). Individuals many times buy these packages just to receive the airline miles and don’t end up using the hotel portion of the package. There are also single night certs given to account holders for holding a Marriott brand credit card

3.   A 7/5night-night certificate must be used for 7 consecutive nights. The reservation cannot be split up.

4.   In order to hold the room, you need a credit card. Your card will be kept for incidentals and you won't be charged for the room.

5.   MUST be booked BOOK 30 Days in Advance. THIS IS A TECHNICAL GLITCH WHICH MARRIOTT CLAIMS TO BE FIXING, HOWEVER, ITS MORE THAN A YEAR THAT THIS HAS BEEN AN ISSUE. In order to book with a certificate, reps must create the reservation as a points advance and then attach the cert. Marriott recently made a new rule that reservations made within 30 days aren’t eligible for points advance. If the account, you are booking with has enough points to cover the reservation you can book it as regular points and have the rep detach the points and attach the certificate.

6.   Travel package certs must be booked over the phone. Single night certs can be booked online

7.   The certificate sits on the account holders account and the elite night credits are officially credited to them. There is no way to transfer those stays to your account.

8.   If you are the traveler do not call Marriott reservations. This reservation is in someone else's account and calling may result in his/her account getting audited and the reservation canceled.

9.   The certificate covers the cost of the reservation including tax but does NOT include any resort fees, parking, and incidentals (for example food charged to the room)

10.   It's not possible to entirely remove the certificate owner from the reservation but your name is added as a secondary guest and a special code is added (M8 code) to inform the hotel that this reservation is in fact gifted to you. The hotels are very much aware of this.

You should be able to check-in as you would to a regular reservation with your own ID. You will need to provide a credit card to cover any incidentals, resort fees, and parking fees if there are any.

11.   You cannot add your Marriott account number to the reservation and generally, the hotel will go by the status on our account (which may be silver or gold at the time of check-in) however, it depends very much on the front desk rep at the time of check-in

12. Certs cannot be combined - e.g. you can't combine two 35k certificates to book a 60k room.

13. The "free fifth night" only applies to points bookings, not certificates.

See post #5805 for a history of bid/ask on these 1/5/7 night certificates of different levels
« Last edited by David61 on November 16, 2022, 12:09:46 PM »

Author Topic: Marriott Certs Sale  (Read 1650157 times)

Offline olindacat

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Marriott Certs Sale
« Reply #11120 on: May 24, 2023, 07:20:41 PM »
I think the risk is shared. Buyer should know that there is always a chance that they will be denied a check in due to the absence of the primary guest. If you somehow stumbled upon this forum and didn't read anything at all and ended up buying a cert with zero research, that's completely on the buyer. Now, I personally will refund the $ if the cert goes back to my account (again every seller can set their own rules such as @mochjas ) but I think I want buyers to fully understand that they won't get their money back if the property rejects them and lets the reservation go to waste/no-show (and now we're talking about international properties, and properties in Florida lately). There should no complaining when you're trying to book 85k night at a discount and are fully aware that technically I'm supposed to be there checking in also.

Maybe if we add a little caveat to the seller's posts it'll be easier, something like:

"Selling 1x 85k FNC, exp xx/xx, $xxx. NO refunds if the property rejects 2nd guest check in, and the FNC is not returned back to the seller's account."

Also, I personally want buyers to understand that if it's a standard room with 1 bed, and they are a 2nd guest, bringing a 4 person family probably will not work out.

Thanks for being so open-minded. I, for the record, have never lost money here, and have purchased a good number of rooms! Most sellers hung in there with me, and gave e their phone numbers in the event I has 'issues' at check-in, and on multiple occasions they (sellers) had to call. They always did. Now, all I've been lobbying for is that kind of seller support. I wish we could use mobile check-ins to ensure buyers do not have problems. It is hard to 'research' properties as has been mentioned, as a buyer, because whoever is at the front desk at the time of check-in may not be who a buyer speaks to when 'doing their due diligence'.

On the flip side: I do not know how a seller can lose their cert. Maybe this is my ignorance, as I had certs I sold, and if I needed to make a change, or cancel, I did not "lose" my cert. How does one "lose" their cert, if the hotel resets an additional guest?

I'm sorry for being a PITA. I love this site, and this forum in particular for all I've benefited, but if I buy a $400+ 85k cert, I can't afford to lose all of my money! I just wish there was a way to 'research' so I don't have to burden the seller. Otherwise, they will think me a royal pain! I'm really not :-)

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #11121 on: May 24, 2023, 09:13:38 PM »
It’s very simple. You bought the certificate. You have to use it before it expires. If the certificate comes back it is yours to use for another booking. The seller is obligated to help you get it back and most will do that. But you should do your research before and not use these in hotels likely to give problems. No one is saying you should lose your money. But the seller is definitely not obligated to refund you assuming he booked correctly.

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11122 on: May 24, 2023, 09:27:26 PM »
To add to this, sellers should specify how accommodating they’d be with making changes.

Offline deadman01121987

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11123 on: May 25, 2023, 02:29:18 AM »
Selling the 5 night 50K certs for 1400$ OBO . Gold Elite Account. Topups can be discussed via PM.

Offline wallla1987

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11124 on: May 25, 2023, 11:02:43 AM »
Buying one 85k certificate $375
Please PM me

Offline blur1717

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11125 on: May 25, 2023, 11:30:35 AM »
It’s very simple. You bought the certificate. You have to use it before it expires. If the certificate comes back it is yours to use for another booking. The seller is obligated to help you get it back and most will do that. But you should do your research before and not use these in hotels likely to give problems. No one is saying you should lose your money. But the seller is definitely not obligated to refund you assuming he booked correctly.

exactly. If I had to sell and the buyer wanter a guarantee that everything will go ok, Id never sell to that buyer. Also there are situations where the seller does "Lose" the certificate especially with short expiration certs where the buyer locked up his certificate and now it's either expired or no time left to resell it.  Also many sellers have super valuable elite accounts with a shit ton of points. In a nuclear case the seller loses the certificate but there is also potential for seller to have their account closed so there is risk on the seller that is substantially more than the buyer

Offline mimb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
« Reply #11126 on: May 25, 2023, 11:49:18 AM »
Any issues using someone else's cert in Canada? I know some countries can be stricter than others

Offline golfer29

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11127 on: May 25, 2023, 01:16:32 PM »
Any issues using someone else's cert in Canada? I know some countries can be stricter than others
I have booked a few hotels in Canada and haven't had any issues.

Offline Pickles

• View Profile
« Reply #11128 on: May 25, 2023, 02:36:28 PM »
I actually lost a cert one time a few years ago, booked a 50k FNC for my buddy, but the hotel straight up said no checking-in (Honolulu) without a primary. They never refunded me the night, just ended up going to waste as a no show.

Offline olindacat

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11129 on: May 25, 2023, 07:32:17 PM »
I actually lost a cert one time a few years ago, booked a 50k FNC for my buddy, but the hotel straight up said no checking-in (Honolulu) without a primary. They never refunded me the night, just ended up going to waste as a no show.

Horrible outcome. Now, what "research" can a buyer do to circumvent this from happening?

Also, for all reading: I was rejected by a seller yesterday, because I do no have enough credibility here, which is sad as I have purchased and sold many nights. My sense is the rejection was as a result of bringing up my concerns. I credit the mods for allowing me to speak my piece, but as a result, I will no longer enjoy the benefits of this forum because I tried to advocate for the buyer. Shame.

Offline olindacat

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11130 on: May 25, 2023, 07:34:54 PM »

Couldn't you have checked him in on your phone? I lived in Hawaii for 30 years, and know the props on Oahu well.

Offline blur1717

• View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: May 25, 2023, 08:04:55 PM »
Horrible outcome. Now, what "research" can a buyer do to circumvent this from happening?

Also, for all reading: I was rejected by a seller yesterday, because I do no have enough credibility here, which is sad as I have purchased and sold many nights. My sense is the rejection was as a result of bringing up my concerns. I credit the mods for allowing me to speak my piece, but as a result, I will no longer enjoy the benefits of this forum because I tried to advocate for the buyer. Shame.

new member + lots of conditions = losing proposition always

Offline Rpenndragon

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11132 on: May 25, 2023, 08:13:42 PM »
Buying 2 35k nights $110 ea stay this weekend

Offline olindacat

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: May 26, 2023, 06:43:19 PM »

Member since 2018 is "new"? Just bc I don't post here a lot doesn't make me "new".

Offline olindacat

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: May 26, 2023, 06:50:25 PM »

Incidentally: I do not have any "conditions", let alone "lots" of same. Branding me like this is plain wrong.

The dialogue has been mostly seller-biased was my only point. Sorry if I am against a bunch of sellers who do not want to hear the squeaky wheel!

Offline Pickles

• View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: May 26, 2023, 08:53:07 PM »
Selling 3x 85k FNCs, plat account, exp 10/23, US properties only - $900 (not splitting up nights). No refunds if the 2nd guest check in gets rejected and the cert isn't deposited back. Will not top off with points.

Offline blur1717

• View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: May 27, 2023, 01:30:50 AM »
Incidentally: I do not have any "conditions", let alone "lots" of same. Branding me like this is plain wrong.

The dialogue has been mostly seller-biased was my only point. Sorry if I am against a bunch of sellers who do not want to hear the squeaky wheel!

It's a free market buy or sell who you want from. I mostly buy in this forum and sell some. As a buyer and a seller I personally steer away from users with few posts and users who seem to have complicated demands. The fact that a seller turned you down because of the same reasons would give you a sense of what reality is.  Fair or not is all a POV. Pretty much everyone wants a simple straightforward deal

Offline mtxj

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: May 27, 2023, 11:18:17 AM »
Does anyone know about recent changes to trying to check in as the second guest (without primary guest present)? I called to add a guest name on a cert yesterday and the Marriott rep said that they needed to add a note or change a code (their language) to allow the guest to check in at the property first (without primary guest). They added the code or whatever, but I'm curious if this is property-specific or just a universal Marriott change made in recent months? I haven't done this in a while but this sounds new to me. Any input or DPs for people checking in as guest would be helpful — or any trouble you've had doing this recently.

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: May 28, 2023, 07:37:57 AM »
2x 35k certs available, $135 each, gold account.
One expiring beginning of August, other one is end of August.
Can top up

Offline Yanki99

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11139 on: May 28, 2023, 10:14:07 AM »
85k certificate available $375 OBO platinum account expires February 2024
Also 35 K available $125 Gold account expires July 28 2023
Pm me
Thank you
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 10:25:16 AM by Yanki99 »