Author Topic: Italy Airports?  (Read 4514 times)

Offline karen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Italy Airports?
« on: July 07, 2013, 11:43:50 PM »
I am planning to visit Rome, Venice, and Florience. What are the best airports I should fly in and out? How many days should be enough? Any American chain hotels to recommend? That's for your help in advance!

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Italy Airports?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:46:11 PM »
I am planning to visit Rome, Venice, and Florience. What are the best airports I should fly in and out? How many days should be enough? Any American chain hotels to recommend? That's for your help in advance!
Fly into Rome and out of Venice (or vice versa)
I'd say 2-3 days Rome, 1-2 days Florence, 2 days Venice
See each cities' master thread for hotel recommendations
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:59:14 PM by Ergel »
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 11:51:48 PM »
Fly into Rome and out of Venice (our vice versa)
I'd say 1-2 days Rome, 1-2 days Florence, 2 days Venice
See each cities' master thread for hotel recommendations
Minor change but agreed. Venice for shabbos if possible. (If you do the shabbos thing)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 12:01:32 AM »
Minor change but agreed. Venice for shabbos if possible. (If you do the shabbos thing)
Let's split the difference and say two days (three is too long but one is too short). IMO you just see ancient Rome, Jewish ghetto and Vatican museum (and some other sites like Spanish steps and the trevi fountain)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 12:20:30 AM »
Let's split the difference and say two days (three is too long but one is too short). IMO you just see ancient Rome, Jewish ghetto and Vatican museum (and some other sites like Spanish steps and the trevi fountain)

I'll only partially agree as you can do it all in one day if you start early. Also have to add collisium and archnof Titus though.

Florence can also be done in one day depending on what museaums you want to visit. Or it can take minimum a week if you want to try to see the majority of them.

Venice is just amazing and to be there for shabbos obviously requires 2 days.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 12:30:58 AM »
I'll only partially agree as you can do it all in one day if you start early. Also have to add collisium and archnof Titus though.

Florence can also be done in one day depending on what museaums you want to visit. Or it can take minimum a week if you want to try to see the majority of them.

Venice is just amazing and to be there for shabbos obviously requires 2 days.
Colosseum and arch I include in ancient Rome. Would be a long day.

Florence I agree totally, I would personally do one day and make sure see the David. Or do two days and also go to Uffizi

Venice: I am not as enamored as others were and I had a bad shabbos experience

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:34:02 AM »
Colosseum and arch I include in ancient Rome. Would be a long day.

Florence I agree totally, I would personally do one day and make sure see the David. Or do two days and also go to Uffizi

Venice: I am not as enamored as others were and I had a bad shabbos experience
Would be a very long day in Rome, but doable. Trust me ;) (although I didn't do the Vatican museum, but I had time and that has to do with Jewish stuff...)

And that's a shame. Only takes one bad experience to ruin a city.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 12:35:29 AM »
Would be a very long day in Rome, but doable. Trust me ;) (although I didn't do the Vatican museum, but I had time and that has to do with Jewish stuff...)

And that's a shame. Only takes one bad experience to ruin a city.
Even without that I didn't love the city

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:39:12 AM »
Even without that I didn't love the city
It's a city built in water how isn't that amazing? It just blew my mind. Mix that with no noise of cars and really awesome architecture, I was sold.

But obviously to each their own. What didn't you like?

Eta- this is going so OT :) hopefully mods will figure it out.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 12:49:57 AM »
It's a city built in water how isn't that amazing? It just blew my mind. Mix that with no noise of cars and really awesome architecture, I was sold.

But obviously to each their own. What didn't you like?

Eta- this is going so OT :) hopefully mods will figure it out.
It was definitely cool but we went in August and it was hot and smelly (the waterways get smelly in the heat). Pretty crowded as well.
Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed and had a nice time, just not in love like the rest of the people here (which usually happens when Dan loves something)
And Chabad had well over 800 people and they were not equipped to handle that many people (and I had yet to learn to bring extra food for shabbos just in case)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 12:51:20 AM »
It was definitely cool but we went in August and it was hot and smelly (the waterways get smelly in the heat). Pretty crowded as well.
Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed and had a nice time, just not in love like the rest of the people here (which usually happens when Dan loves something)
And Chabad had well over 800 people and they were not equipped to handle that many people (and I had yet to learn to bring extra food for shabbos just in case)
Why? Just a lot of tourists?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 12:53:27 AM »
And Chabad had well over 800 people and they were not equipped to handle that many people (and in had yet to learn to bring extra food for shabbos just in case)
Wow that sounds miserable. Understood. I went in spring for second days of pessach. And it was simply amazing. Maybe 75 people at Chabad and they handled it easily. Even got complimentary pizza right after mariv motzei pessach.

I guess don't go in the summer, I've heard from others about the bad smells.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 12:55:19 AM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »
Give me a break. 
I went in May and didn't make a secret of that. There were no smells, the temperature was very mild, and there weren't more than 100 tourists. And people loved Venice before 2010 ::)

Obviously if you go to a place in the very peak of seasons you're not going to have a good experience, especially a place without the infrastructure to handle so many tourists, and especially when the weather isn't optimal in that season. That goes for the city and the shuls/restaurants in it.

If you read Inferno, Dan Brown talks about the summer tourists murdering the city...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 11:11:02 AM »
I wasn't trying to offend you, I'm sorry if I did. I just find it funny how much people mirror your opinions of things (if anything it should be a compliment).
I went in the summer of 2009 (before I even heard of Dan's Deals) so it was not on your recommendation. I have a lot of hakaros hatov to you because my subsequent trips look a lot different than that one (read: j/f and nice hotels) and are a lot cheaper. Just trying to show people that there may be a better and worse time to go

Offline karen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I am planning to go on August (I know it is not good time from the talk in this thread, but that is the only time that works for my family).  I could find saver reward ticket from Bos/JFK to Venice/Rome, but the returning flight from Venice/Rome to JFK/BOS or nearby city are hardly to find. If you have idea let me know. Thanks!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 11:16:16 AM »
I wasn't trying to offend you, I'm sorry if I did. I just find it funny how much people mirror your opinions of things (if anything it should be a compliment).
I went in the summer of 2009 (before I even heard of Dan's Deals) so it was not on your recommendation. I have a lot of hakaros hatov to you because my subsequent trips look a lot different than that one (read: j/f and nice hotels) and are a lot cheaper. Just trying to show people that there may be a better and worse time to go
Fair enough.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I am planning to go on August (I know it is not good time from the talk in this thread, but that is the only time that works for my family).  I could find saver reward ticket from Bos/JFK to Venice/Rome, but the returning flight from Venice/Rome to JFK/BOS or nearby city are hardly to find. If you have idea let me know. Thanks!
From the sounds of it I wouldn't bother with Italy in August.
It's a big world out there.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »
It's a hard call because for a lot of people it's a real aspirational place to go and most people are only able to travel during the summer. I definitely would have enjoyed more in spring but I'm happy I went. Europe is hot and crowded during the summer, no two ways about it.
Maybe look into flying out of Milan (we really enjoyed lake Como (make sure to get to Belaggio) and the Italian alps (awesome views, snowball fight in the summer, awesome white water rafting))

Offline karen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »
Unfortunately  I don't have too much choices. Italy, Hawaii and Australia are in the kid's list to visit. I couldn't find award tickets to Hawaii for the middle of August, and Australia is really too far away.  :(