Topic Wiki

Upcoming Trips                                                                        Trip Reports
Proisrael
Martyb
ayman
SLMYRCB
benjie1305
shwarmabob gang
CS91 & EJB
Shauly

EJB
SRM
1st week of February
2nd week of February
3rd week of February
1st & 2nd week of April
2nd & 3rd week of July
2nd & 3rd week of July
3rd & 4th week of August
4th week of August

3rd week of January
3rd & 4th week of March
Dan Part 1, Dan Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 1 , ChikkyMonkey Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 3,
Aussiebochur, ZCN, Brian, TAVI, world2see, zvmiester, Cbs, Yehoshua, AJK, rots5,
Knowitall, Suave, Marco Polo, morgs

Inter-Thailand Flights   Bangkok Airways (PG)

PG flights are bookable on points through JAL, CX, EY and AB.

JAL
Required Mileage: Transferable from SPG. JAL uses a distance based award chart and allows up to a maximum of 7 stopovers (8 segments). To figure out how many points you will need, add up the total amount of miles that will be flown (can do this on GCMap.com) and then find the appropriate row in the award chart (http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/use/partner_air/p_jmb/jmb_mile_ar.html). If you are traveling before 3/31/2017 there is a promotion for trips up to 4,000 miles (see http://www.jal.co.jp/121campaign/pg_discount/index_en.html for reduced mileage rates). The promotion makes JAL the best award redemption option for PG flights. 

Booking the Flight: The only way to find out if there is availability on the flight that you want is to call JAL. Recommended that you do so before transferring points. JAL doesn't allow you to hold a reservation so you have to hope that the flight doesn't get booked up while you're waiting for the point transfer to go through. Once the points post to your JAL account, call JAL back to book.
+1 800-525-3663 (5:00 - 18:00 PT) press 1 - 4 - JAL membership number - # - pin - # - 0 (for human or 1 for computer search)

Traveling with Infant: Tell JAL that you are flying with a lap child. They will put the infant on the reservation, but they will also tell you that you need to call PG directly to get the infant's ticket issued and pay for any taxes etc. JAL will only charge you for the adults on the reservation. Unless you speak Thai, calling PG won't work (when you press 9 for English when calling any of the Asian offices, the message will tell you to go to their website, and the office in Germany can't issue tickets). To add the infant, send an email to reservation@bangkokair.com with your confirmation number and tell them you want to have the lap infant's ticket issued. They will email you back with the price (data point: it was ~$96USD for CNX-USM-HKG for me) and ask you to reply with your cc info split into two separate emails for security (one email with first 8 digits, exp. and name on card, second email with last 8 digits, cvv, and billing address). I believe they only take Visa or MC. You'll then get an email back with confirmation.

Baggage Allowance: Economy passengers are allowed 20kg, infants (and dolls) are allowed 10kg. Excess weight on domestic flights will incur a charge of 80thb ($2.25ish) per kilo. International overage fee chart can be found here. Join the PG FlyingBonus program to receive an additional 10kg.

Contacting PG: In general, if you have any questions, the only way to speak with them in English besides email is PG Live Chat. You can find the link if you log in to your Flyer Bonus account. Chat reps are very helpful.

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO PAY (JAL AND PG) WITH A CC BELONGING TO SOMEONE THAT IS TRAVELING ON THE ITINERARY. PG WILL SOMETIMES ASK YOU TO SHOW THE CC USED TO PAY FOR THE TRIP WHEN YOU CHECK IN, AND RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY BOARDING IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

CX
Required Mileage:

EY
Required Mileage:

AB
Required Mileage:

Bangkok   BKK/DMK

Hotels                                              Activities                                          Chabad                                                                Additional Info
Viengtai Hotel (Ohr Menachem)
Davis Hotel (Beth Elisheva)
Shangr-La (Even Chen)
Sheraton Resort (Hua Hin)
Riva Surya
Kao Sahn Rd
Night Markets (near stadium)
Shopping Malls
Grand Palace
Kanchanaburi (2 hrs away)
Floating Markets
Beth Elisheva (Financial & Shopping district)
Even Chen
Ohr Menachem (Kao Sahn Rd)
ALWAYS use meter in taxis and
   try to say destination in Thai - if you
   need help with numbers as Cbs ;)
(Free) sim in airport at kiosks -(true move(h- sim), dtac
   (happy(micro) sim for iPhone)
Songkran (water fight week)- April 13th!
Kosherthailand.com
BKK Luggage Lockers - 100 baht/day/bag (~$3)
Public Transport
Domestic flights:
   Air Asia, Tiger Air, Thai, Bangkok Air
Tailor:
   Rajawongse

Phuket/Patong/Koh Phi Phi/Krabi   HKT/KBV

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Westin
JW Marriott
Sala Resort
Sheraton Krabi
The Pavilions
Holiday Inn Koh Phi Phi
Ritz Carlton Reserve
places w/ private pools
Beaches
Monkey Show
Cable Skiing
Longtail Boats
Island Tour
Koh Phi Phi:
Diving
Fire Show (wed is biggest)
Maya Bay (full day trip)
Nice Lookouts
Kayaking (to Monkey Beach)
Thai Boxing
Beware of summer weather; monsoon season
Best weather: Jan - May
Island Tour (can be done as a day trip or overnight):
   Andaman River, Maya Bay, Similian Islands, Krabi Islands,
   Koh Lanta (Emerald Cave)

Koh Samui   USM

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                          Additional Info
The Conrad
Sunday Resort
Sheraton
Le Meridian
The W
Le Murrya (Near Chabad)
Fx Hotel (Near Chabad)
Beaches
Diving (Koa Phangan, Koh Tao)
Ang Thong Marine Park Islands
Water Sports (at chaweng and boh phut),
Safari Island (elephants, tigers, zip line)
Scooter (around island)
Kayaking $30
Koh Tao and Koh Nangyuan Island trip w/ snorkeling
The Conrad will gladly make arrangements with
   the Chabad restaurant for Kosher food. Email them at usmks.fb@conradhotels.com

Chiang Mai   CNX

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Le Meridien (10 min. Walk to Chabad)
Shangri La (2 min. Walk to Chabad)
Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi
Sukantara Cascade Resort
Maese Elephant Show
Maetaeng Elephant Park
Patara Elephant Farm
Thai Elephant Home
Thoms Pai Elephant Camp
Bamboo Rafting
Tiger Kingdom
Monkey Shows
Snake Shows
Crocodile Shows
Zip Lining
Trekking
White Water Rafting
Longneck Tribe
Gun Shooting
Night Safari
Temples/Palaces
Chiang Mai River Boat (To Cooking School)
Extreme Sports!
Repelling
Caving,
ATVing
Bungee
Segways
Rent motorbikes (5$ day)
3D museum right down the road from Chabad
   (if you have an hour or two to kill)
Sunday Market (ratchadamonoen  Rd, old city)
Night Market (Changklan Rd, near Chabad & Le Meridien)
Sat Night Market (Wua Lai)
Tiger Kingdom is best in morning
Use ישראל 669  as travel agent for trips
   (next door to Chabad)
Recommended Zip Line: Flight of Gibbon or Flying Squirrel,
   can be reserved through Yackov (המרכז המטייל)
   for best price.
When reserving tours, ask for a discount due to
   using your own transportation
Tailors:
   CM Tailors
His and Hers- 3 minute walk from LM on the way to chabbad.

Chiang Rai   CEI/4hr drive from CNX

Le Meridien
Four Seasons Tent Camp Golden Triangle
Black House
Queens Residence
Night market
Day trip to Burma/Myanmar
Waterfalls
White Temple
Ruaamit elephant camp
Pai village (3 hr drive)
Hot Springs
Scooters
Golden Triangle

« Last edited by CR on July 26, 2020, 11:38:14 AM »

Author Topic: Thailand Master Thread  (Read 732392 times)

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
Re: Thailand Master Thread
« Reply #240 on: July 17, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »
Anyone have an idea how much a cab would cost btw Mai and Rai?
go to Pai

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 17, 2012, 07:04:03 PM »
If money is not an issue check out the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi (http://www.mandarinoriental.com/chiangmai/) one of the best resorts in the world.. if you aren't traveling with kids then the Four Seasons Golden Triangle is something else (http://www.fourseasons.com/goldentriangle/)

IF you are with a baby, I would recommend staying somewhere close to Chiang Mai. Pai is nice, but it's about a 3 hour drive with lots of twists and turns, sure to get you dizzy and perhaps arrive with a headache and some throw up.. (if you're solo, would definitely recommend it's a backpackers town, lots of fun)  I first went there some 12-13 years ago, then again last year. lots has changed..

But generally I think most activities are surrounding Chiang Mai. There is very little in Chiang Rai to do which can't be done in CM.. CR is much smaller. Golden Triangle sounds a lot more interesting than it actually is. There are so many great resorts around CM why waste time on traveling.

Keep in mind it's rainy season there too, so weather in CM and CR can be on and off rain.. never bothered me.

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2012, 07:08:12 PM »
my personal opinion about BKK, stay away.. I've been to Thailand many times (last time about 2 weeks ago) and my biggest mistake was wasting time there once..

Depending on when you arrive, if you must stay the night I would even suggest staying around the airport and saving the ride into the city.. Aside from Chabad restaurant, and some awesome malls, not much you can't see elsewhere, and it's just super hot + humid, and very crowded, busy etc..

really don't care for it.

Ho Chi Minh on the other hand.... (I don't hate all big cities..)

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 17, 2012, 07:12:14 PM »
Pai is nice, but it's about a 3 hour drive with lots of twists and turns, sure to get you dizzy and perhaps arrive with a headache and some throw up.. (if you're solo, would definitely recommend it's a backpackers town, lots of fun)  I first went there some 12-13 years ago, then again last year. lots has changed..
they say its more of a romantic place for a couple..

my personal opinion about BKK, stay away.. I've been to Thailand....
+1..though i would prob stop in for a day trip if u had time... just because i would like to see what its like...but thats just me.

Depending on when you arrive, if you must stay the night I would even suggest staying around the airport and saving the ride into the city.. Aside from the [Awesome]Chabad restaurant, and some awesome (cool) malls, not much you can't see elsewhere, and it's just super hot + humid, and very crowded, busy etc..
FTFY

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 18, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »
So my options for flying are as follows?
-Bangkok Air
-Thai Airlines
-Air Asia

Also, I saw that Tiger Airways has very low fares, although it doesn't help me for inter-Thailand flights. Just an FYI.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 18, 2012, 12:14:34 PM »
I have 2 Park Plaza choices for my 1 night BKK stay.

Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18 
Park Plaza Sukhumvit Hotel, Bangkok 

The second looks nicer, but the website says they're both centrally located.
Which one is better located for some evening shopping/walking around?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 19, 2012, 06:53:10 AM »
So my options for flying are as follows?
-Bangkok Air
-Thai Airlines
-Air Asia

Also, I saw that Tiger Airways has very low fares, although it doesn't help me for inter-Thailand flights. Just an FYI.
Thai is best then comes Bangkok air then comes air Asia. Idk anything about tiger.
Domestic thai flights are usually cheap on air Asia though

When looking for domestic flights I have found skyscanner.com to be the cheapest

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 19, 2012, 07:35:16 AM »
Thai is best then comes Bangkok air then comes air Asia. Idk anything about tiger.
Domestic thai flights are usually cheap on air Asia though

When looking for domestic flights I have found skyscanner.com to be the cheapest
Thanks. I saw that with the BKK to Chiang Rai route. Air Asia was around 60% the cost, but I'm unsure how much the baggage fees might cut into that.

Got another question.
Is a 2-3 hour layover in BKK after coming in from AMM enough time to take a cab to Chabad and buy food? How far is it? Can I pay Chabad to deliver to deliver to the airport?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 19, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
Thanks. I saw that with the BKK to Chiang Rai route. Air Asia was around 60% the cost, but I'm unsure how much the baggage fees might cut into that.

Got another question.
Is a 2-3 hour layover in BKK after coming in from AMM enough time to take a cab to Chabad and buy food? How far is it? Can I pay Chabad to deliver to deliver to the airport?
It usually is really cheap but baggage will make up for it . Also they're very strict on overhead luggage . I flew them with only overhead and I managed to slip by an extra piece.

I'll tell u how long it takes to chabad and u decide.  From the time u get into the cab until chabad it can take between 30 min to 1hr or sometimes 1:15 if there's traffic.
What time do u land and I'll tell u if its rush hour or not?

And if u do that make sure to call the order in once u get to the taxi so its ready right away.
They do deliver for a charge of 150 THB but I don't think to airport . Double check though
One last hing make sure you only pay the meter for taxis in BKK and if u can't find a meter guy then not more than 350 baht for the trip to Chabad each way.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2012, 09:41:48 AM »
It usually is really cheap but baggage will make up for it . Also they're very strict on overhead luggage . I flew them with only overhead and I managed to slip by an extra piece.

I'll tell u how long it takes to chabad and u decide.  From the time u get into the cab until chabad it can take between 30 min to 1hr or sometimes 1:15 if there's traffic.
What time do u land and I'll tell u if its rush hour or not?

And if u do that make sure to call the order in once u get to the taxi so its ready right away.
They do deliver for a charge of 150 THB but I don't think to airport . Double check though
One last hing make sure you only pay the meter for taxis in BKK and if u can't find a meter guy then not more than 350 baht for the trip to Chabad each way.

Thanks for the help CBS
My flight from AMM is supposed to land around 15:30, and I can either take the next flight at 18:20 or 17:10 or so.

From what you're saying, it seems like it will be too little time to risk with the rush hour.

Offline yas

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
I will be traveling to Thailand with my wife in a few weeks, and will be there for 4/5 days
We are arriving in BKK-Monday. Tue morning we are off to-CNX (Chiang Mai).
We are leaving Thailand from BKK late Saturday night, which means we will need to be in BKK for Shabbos.
What are the suggestions of things to do in that time frame?
Is it worth taking a flight to Phukhet or Koh Samui or anther beachy area? Or would it make more sense to just stay in the Chiang Mai area and still feel that we experienced Thailand?
Thanks.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2012, 03:08:37 PM »
Thanks for the help CBS
My flight from AMM is supposed to land around 15:30, and I can either take the next flight at 18:20 or 17:10 or so.

From what you're saying, it seems like it will be too little time to risk with the rush hour.
ok  so by the time you get out itll be prob close to 4 pm and idk what day ur talking but if its mid week then itll prob take about 45 min. or so each way but with the traffic in BKK you can never know...you may sit there for at least an hour...happened to me multiple times.

if its sunday it shouldnt take more than a half hour - 35max
(i think you mean one flight at 18:20 and the next at 19:10 (7:10pm) )

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »
I will be traveling to Thailand with my wife in a few weeks, and will be there for 4/5 days
We are leaving Thailand from BKK late Saturday night, which means we will need to be in BKK for Shabbos.
Is it worth taking a flight to Phukhet or Koh Samui or anther beachy area? Or would it make more sense to just stay in the Chiang Mai area and still feel that we experienced Thailand?
Thanks.
i have never been to CNX but i can tell you what many people have told me (spoke to many tourists there) and you will forsure feel the thailand experience by just going to CNX and a day in BKK (im sure Dan will say the same :) ) but if you want a nice relaxing time you can go to the beaches - and its beautiful there. the only thing is that if you are planning the trip within the next few weeks then your best bet is to prob just stay in CNX because its the rainy season and its not worth the beaches then.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2012, 03:17:44 PM »
Thanks.

Read down for discussion about the beach resorts. Due to the weather concerns, I'm not going to those places. I'll be staying in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

Maybe we'll meet up :)

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2012, 03:18:24 PM »
ok  so by the time you get out itll be prob close to 4 pm and idk what day ur talking but if its mid week then itll prob take about 45 min. or so each way but with the traffic in BKK you can never know...you may sit there for at least an hour...happened to me multiple times.

if its sunday it shouldnt take more than a half hour - 35max
(i think you mean one flight at 18:20 and the next at 19:10 (7:10pm) )
Landing on Monday.

Offline yas

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 19, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »
Read down for discussion about the beach resorts. Due to the weather concerns, I'm not going to those places. I'll be staying in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

Maybe we'll meet up :)

The week of April 12? ;)
Thanks, i will do a bit of research on Caing Rai

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 19, 2012, 03:34:50 PM »
The week of April 12? ;)
you said you're traveling in a few weeks...

Offline yas

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 19, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »
My bad, August 12

Offline yas

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 19, 2012, 03:44:50 PM »
Is there a 1stop website to search flights within Thailand (kayak only seems to pull up Thai air with what i tried)?

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 19, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »
My bad, August 12
We're there the same weekend.