Topic Wiki

Upcoming Trips                                                                        Trip Reports
Proisrael
Martyb
ayman
SLMYRCB
benjie1305
shwarmabob gang
CS91 & EJB
Shauly

EJB
SRM
1st week of February
2nd week of February
3rd week of February
1st & 2nd week of April
2nd & 3rd week of July
2nd & 3rd week of July
3rd & 4th week of August
4th week of August

3rd week of January
3rd & 4th week of March
Dan Part 1, Dan Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 1 , ChikkyMonkey Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 3,
Aussiebochur, ZCN, Brian, TAVI, world2see, zvmiester, Cbs, Yehoshua, AJK, rots5,
Knowitall, Suave, Marco Polo, morgs

Inter-Thailand Flights   Bangkok Airways (PG)

PG flights are bookable on points through JAL, CX, EY and AB.

JAL
Required Mileage: Transferable from SPG. JAL uses a distance based award chart and allows up to a maximum of 7 stopovers (8 segments). To figure out how many points you will need, add up the total amount of miles that will be flown (can do this on GCMap.com) and then find the appropriate row in the award chart (http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/use/partner_air/p_jmb/jmb_mile_ar.html). If you are traveling before 3/31/2017 there is a promotion for trips up to 4,000 miles (see http://www.jal.co.jp/121campaign/pg_discount/index_en.html for reduced mileage rates). The promotion makes JAL the best award redemption option for PG flights. 

Booking the Flight: The only way to find out if there is availability on the flight that you want is to call JAL. Recommended that you do so before transferring points. JAL doesn't allow you to hold a reservation so you have to hope that the flight doesn't get booked up while you're waiting for the point transfer to go through. Once the points post to your JAL account, call JAL back to book.
+1 800-525-3663 (5:00 - 18:00 PT) press 1 - 4 - JAL membership number - # - pin - # - 0 (for human or 1 for computer search)

Traveling with Infant: Tell JAL that you are flying with a lap child. They will put the infant on the reservation, but they will also tell you that you need to call PG directly to get the infant's ticket issued and pay for any taxes etc. JAL will only charge you for the adults on the reservation. Unless you speak Thai, calling PG won't work (when you press 9 for English when calling any of the Asian offices, the message will tell you to go to their website, and the office in Germany can't issue tickets). To add the infant, send an email to reservation@bangkokair.com with your confirmation number and tell them you want to have the lap infant's ticket issued. They will email you back with the price (data point: it was ~$96USD for CNX-USM-HKG for me) and ask you to reply with your cc info split into two separate emails for security (one email with first 8 digits, exp. and name on card, second email with last 8 digits, cvv, and billing address). I believe they only take Visa or MC. You'll then get an email back with confirmation.

Baggage Allowance: Economy passengers are allowed 20kg, infants (and dolls) are allowed 10kg. Excess weight on domestic flights will incur a charge of 80thb ($2.25ish) per kilo. International overage fee chart can be found here. Join the PG FlyingBonus program to receive an additional 10kg.

Contacting PG: In general, if you have any questions, the only way to speak with them in English besides email is PG Live Chat. You can find the link if you log in to your Flyer Bonus account. Chat reps are very helpful.

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO PAY (JAL AND PG) WITH A CC BELONGING TO SOMEONE THAT IS TRAVELING ON THE ITINERARY. PG WILL SOMETIMES ASK YOU TO SHOW THE CC USED TO PAY FOR THE TRIP WHEN YOU CHECK IN, AND RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY BOARDING IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

CX
Required Mileage:

EY
Required Mileage:

AB
Required Mileage:

Bangkok   BKK/DMK

Hotels                                              Activities                                          Chabad                                                                Additional Info
Viengtai Hotel (Ohr Menachem)
Davis Hotel (Beth Elisheva)
Shangr-La (Even Chen)
Sheraton Resort (Hua Hin)
Riva Surya
Kao Sahn Rd
Night Markets (near stadium)
Shopping Malls
Grand Palace
Kanchanaburi (2 hrs away)
Floating Markets
Beth Elisheva (Financial & Shopping district)
Even Chen
Ohr Menachem (Kao Sahn Rd)
ALWAYS use meter in taxis and
   try to say destination in Thai - if you
   need help with numbers as Cbs ;)
(Free) sim in airport at kiosks -(true move(h- sim), dtac
   (happy(micro) sim for iPhone)
Songkran (water fight week)- April 13th!
Kosherthailand.com
BKK Luggage Lockers - 100 baht/day/bag (~$3)
Public Transport
Domestic flights:
   Air Asia, Tiger Air, Thai, Bangkok Air
Tailor:
   Rajawongse

Phuket/Patong/Koh Phi Phi/Krabi   HKT/KBV

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Westin
JW Marriott
Sala Resort
Sheraton Krabi
The Pavilions
Holiday Inn Koh Phi Phi
Ritz Carlton Reserve
places w/ private pools
Beaches
Monkey Show
Cable Skiing
Longtail Boats
Island Tour
Koh Phi Phi:
Diving
Fire Show (wed is biggest)
Maya Bay (full day trip)
Nice Lookouts
Kayaking (to Monkey Beach)
Thai Boxing
Beware of summer weather; monsoon season
Best weather: Jan - May
Island Tour (can be done as a day trip or overnight):
   Andaman River, Maya Bay, Similian Islands, Krabi Islands,
   Koh Lanta (Emerald Cave)

Koh Samui   USM

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                          Additional Info
The Conrad
Sunday Resort
Sheraton
Le Meridian
The W
Le Murrya (Near Chabad)
Fx Hotel (Near Chabad)
Beaches
Diving (Koa Phangan, Koh Tao)
Ang Thong Marine Park Islands
Water Sports (at chaweng and boh phut),
Safari Island (elephants, tigers, zip line)
Scooter (around island)
Kayaking $30
Koh Tao and Koh Nangyuan Island trip w/ snorkeling
The Conrad will gladly make arrangements with
   the Chabad restaurant for Kosher food. Email them at usmks.fb@conradhotels.com

Chiang Mai   CNX

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Le Meridien (10 min. Walk to Chabad)
Shangri La (2 min. Walk to Chabad)
Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi
Sukantara Cascade Resort
Maese Elephant Show
Maetaeng Elephant Park
Patara Elephant Farm
Thai Elephant Home
Thoms Pai Elephant Camp
Bamboo Rafting
Tiger Kingdom
Monkey Shows
Snake Shows
Crocodile Shows
Zip Lining
Trekking
White Water Rafting
Longneck Tribe
Gun Shooting
Night Safari
Temples/Palaces
Chiang Mai River Boat (To Cooking School)
Extreme Sports!
Repelling
Caving,
ATVing
Bungee
Segways
Rent motorbikes (5$ day)
3D museum right down the road from Chabad
   (if you have an hour or two to kill)
Sunday Market (ratchadamonoen  Rd, old city)
Night Market (Changklan Rd, near Chabad & Le Meridien)
Sat Night Market (Wua Lai)
Tiger Kingdom is best in morning
Use ישראל 669  as travel agent for trips
   (next door to Chabad)
Recommended Zip Line: Flight of Gibbon or Flying Squirrel,
   can be reserved through Yackov (המרכז המטייל)
   for best price.
When reserving tours, ask for a discount due to
   using your own transportation
Tailors:
   CM Tailors
His and Hers- 3 minute walk from LM on the way to chabbad.

Chiang Rai   CEI/4hr drive from CNX

Le Meridien
Four Seasons Tent Camp Golden Triangle
Black House
Queens Residence
Night market
Day trip to Burma/Myanmar
Waterfalls
White Temple
Ruaamit elephant camp
Pai village (3 hr drive)
Hot Springs
Scooters
Golden Triangle

« Last edited by CR on July 26, 2020, 11:38:14 AM »

Author Topic: Thailand Master Thread  (Read 732346 times)

Offline ZCN

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Thailand Master Thread
« Reply #540 on: January 20, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »
@ChikkyMonkey (or anyone else that may know):

What are the best hotels (with points or cheap rev rates) in BKK/CNX/HKT?

In CNX I would say the LM.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #541 on: January 20, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
I stayed and reviewed the hotels Chikky recommended for me in CNX and HKT.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #542 on: January 20, 2013, 01:33:39 PM »

In CNX I would say the LM.

Thanks.

I stayed and reviewed the hotels Chikky recommended for me in CNX and HKT.

Excellent - it's been awhile since I've read the TR.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 20, 2013, 02:27:13 PM »
My wife and I went to Chiang Mai a couple of weeks ago and here is a trip report. Since many of the things to do have already been covered I want to write a brief overview of what we did and then share some small things that I think would be useful for future travelers.

We landed on Friday, went to the Le Meriden where we were staying, then went to the Chabad restaurant for lunch and then got ready for Shabbos. Getting ready for Shabbos involved working out how to leave and enter the hotel on Shabbos, more on that later.

On Motzei Shabbos we went to the Saturday night market which was packed, got some stuff. Sunday being a fast day, we went shopping a little, got some massages, went to a tailor, and finished by going to the Sunday night Market.

Monday we did all the attractions, we went to the Monkey show, alligator show, snake/cobra show, gun shooting, elephant camp, and tiger kingdom. We then went to Chabad and ate supper, then went to the night safari.

Now for the small stuff:

- The staff at the Le Meriden, from front desk to security are very limited in communication with English. It took us lots of time and effort to make a basic request.

- There is a staircase at the LM that you can use for Shabbos, although there may be cameras on. Make sure to stay in a lower level room for Shabbos, we originally were put on the 19th floor! Leaving the hotel is simple, you go to the staircase and just push the door handle. Coming back is a little more complicated since the door to the stairs and door to the floors are locked. It's best to speak to security before Shabbos and explain you need to use the stairs on Shabbos, when we told them they understood right away, thanks to all the jews before us. So when coming back into the LM you go to the front desk and ask for security, they will then open the door to the stairs for you and then meet you at the floor you are staying on to open that door for you.
BTW the doors at the main entrance to the hotel are not electric, so there is no Shabbos issues with them AFAIK.

- It's difficult to find a taxi in the streets, so get the phone number of the taxi driver who takes you from the airport to your hotel, also negotiate with him a price for whatever trips you want to take. And be aware that he may send someone in his place if he is busy (without notifying you first)

- Know that all the taxi drivers and tuk tuks have relationships with places tourists visit. For example there are several elephant places that have shows, each taxi driver will have one that he brings you to without letting you know that there are other options. The same holds true for monkey shows, alligator farms, and in the city, tailors, sliver places, etc. I'm not sure if you insist that you want to go to a different place that the driver will listen but it's something to keep in mind.
Taxi drivers will also pressure you to go to a place you have no interest in going. Just tell them firmly you don’t want to go and repeat over and over :)

- Competition for tailor shops among taxis are especially fierce. Research where to go, then tell a tuk tuk driver to take you somewhere near the tailor shop and walk to the tailor. If you tell him the name of the shop he will likely take you to a different tailor even without telling you.

- After doing lots of research we ended up using CM Tailors.

- Tuks tuks are 2 wheeled scooters that have had a wide bench and back wheels added on to them.

- The Chaing Mai night safari was a waste of time for us. It's 30 minutes each way, and we didn't really see the point of it. They take you on a tram bus to see different animal enclosures and they then shine a light on the animal. I would rather do the same thing in daylight.
We did find 2 things we liked, they had a really cool water show with color lasers and music, similar to the Bellagio in Vegas but much cooler. You can also hold a baby tiger and take pictures with it for 300 baht. However it’s not like Tiger Kingdom, here they take a few pictures and quickly take the tiger away from you. No chance to pet it, play with it, etc.

- Tiger Kingdom was awesome. I would highly recommend hiring a photographer for 300 baht per cage, you get about 100 pictures per cage on a CD. They get shots you can't get with your camera, like up close pics of the tigers.

- I recommend the Monkey School, as well as the Messa Elephant camp. Make sure to visit the holding pens before the shows, you can feed the elephants bananas and take pictures with them. If you want to ride an elephant, make sure to book a spot before you go to the shows. The times are limited and sometimes full.

Just an FYI, when taking pictures with the elephants at the holding pens there are several tricks they are trained to do with you if you stay with them for a few minutes. They first wrap their trunks around your neck or chest (probably for pics), they then take the hat of the guy who is riding them and put it on your head (make sure to take off anything your wearing on your head), then if your still there they will give you a kiss with their trunks!  Warning: it does smell strongly of bananas. If your an animal lover you definitely will want to stay there for a few minutes to get all their tricks in, most people leave right after they take a picture with the elephants trunks around them. BTW after you leave your supposed to give the rider a tip by giving it to the elephant who gives it to its rider.

- Shabbos meals at Chabad were very nice. We found the food good, there were lots of singing and a chance to meet different people. A couple of things I really appreciated, whatever food they served was served in abundance, no need to ask for more. I also really liked that the meals were not sclepped out, each meal lasted about an hour and a half.

- If you go for a massage I wouldn't recommend getting a Thai Massage as they use a lot of pressure and bend and pull your limbs, better to stick with a neck and back massage, or oil massage.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:03:32 PM by ZCN »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #544 on: January 20, 2013, 02:35:56 PM »
Great job!

Not many people have done both the Sat night and Sun night markets.
How would you compare them?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #545 on: January 20, 2013, 02:36:20 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the writeup. I'm sure I'll have some Q's as my trip nears and I begin planning for "on the ground" time.

Any pics?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 20, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »
Great job!

Not many people have done both the Sat night and Sun night markets.
How would you compare them?

Thanks. I didn't see any major differences between them, except that there more interesting things being sold at the Sunday night market. Most of the stuff we brought we got at the Sunday market as opposed to the Saturday night market. The Sunday one was bigger though, and since there wasn't a problem with Shabbos we got there early before it got really crowded.

Awesome, thanks for the writeup. I'm sure I'll have some Q's as my trip nears and I begin planning for "on the ground" time.

Any pics?

I have hundreds of pics, what do you want to see?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 20, 2013, 03:15:35 PM »
Oh, nothing specific. Just that pics are worth a thousand words :)

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 20, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »
@ChikkyMonkey (or anyone else that may know):

What are the best hotels (with points or cheap rev rates) in BKK/CNX/HKT?
Did you take a look at this link? It'll help you compare SPG hotels.
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=305.msg370981#msg370981

And I agree with the LM in CNX. It's great, especially for the value.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 20, 2013, 03:23:08 PM »
Yeah, I've read it. Was wondering what the folks here thought (esp from a shabbas pespective).

Thanks for the reminder,  though.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 20, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »
I had found the monkey show I went to cute, but afterwards, when you see them all tied up to a stick with a few feet of chain, I felt like it seeing them in a prison.
I also did a shooting range in the north. It was quite the experience for my wife :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 20, 2013, 03:47:33 PM »
I had found the monkey show I went to cute, but afterwards, when you see them all tied up to a stick with a few feet of chain, I felt like it seeing them in a prison.
+1

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 20, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »
Yeah, I've read it. Was wondering what the folks here thought (esp from a shabbas pespective).

Thanks for the reminder,  though.
I spent shabbos (3 nights total) at this place.
http://www.sukantara.com/

Due to some issues in our base room the first night, they upgraded us to their biggest suite for the last 2 nights which included shabbos.
Based on my rudimentary calculations, I was able to walk in the outside area between the 2 rooms and personal pool on shabbos.
http://www.sukantara.com/Chiang-mai-Luxury-Pool-Villa.html

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 20, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »
+1
And they had the gall to write s/t along the lines of their monkeys running free like they do in nature. Put a real damper on the experience, to the point I would recommend not going there.

The elephant show and ride on the other hand was great. And make sure to stick around afterwards since you can get up close n' personal with them. One of them picked my up w/ its trunk. Despite not wearing a cup, I survived. :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 20, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »
The elephant show and ride on the other hand was great. And make sure to stick around afterwards since you can get up close n' personal with them. One of them picked my up w/ its trunk. Despite not wearing a cup, I survived. :)
http://www.dansdeals.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/IMG_0284a.jpg

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 20, 2013, 03:59:48 PM »
yup, same place.
I hope the shows in the south are as nice. My 6 and 4 year olds would really enjoy it.
Maybe I can tip them to allow the 4 yr old on for the ride...

Offline PETERP

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 20, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »

Boy those elephants look small. When I first heard they wrap their trunk around you , I thought you
guys were crazy . These elephants do not look so menacing

Offline ZCN

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 20, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »
Here are some pics of the elephants holding area:

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #558 on: January 20, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »
Boy those elephants look small. When I first heard they wrap their trunk around you , I thought you
guys were crazy . These elephants do not look so menacing
yes they are small, they are asian elephants, not african

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 20, 2013, 06:06:45 PM »
I spent shabbos (3 nights total) at this place.
http://www.sukantara.com/

Due to some issues in our base room the first night, they upgraded us to their biggest suite for the last 2 nights which included shabbos.
Based on my rudimentary calculations, I was able to walk in the outside area between the 2 rooms and personal pool on shabbos.
http://www.sukantara.com/Chiang-mai-Luxury-Pool-Villa.html

Thanks for the recco, I'll check it out.