Topic Wiki

Upcoming Trips                                                                        Trip Reports
Proisrael
Martyb
ayman
SLMYRCB
benjie1305
shwarmabob gang
CS91 & EJB
Shauly

EJB
SRM
1st week of February
2nd week of February
3rd week of February
1st & 2nd week of April
2nd & 3rd week of July
2nd & 3rd week of July
3rd & 4th week of August
4th week of August

3rd week of January
3rd & 4th week of March
Dan Part 1, Dan Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 1 , ChikkyMonkey Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 3,
Aussiebochur, ZCN, Brian, TAVI, world2see, zvmiester, Cbs, Yehoshua, AJK, rots5,
Knowitall, Suave, Marco Polo, morgs

Inter-Thailand Flights   Bangkok Airways (PG)

PG flights are bookable on points through JAL, CX, EY and AB.

JAL
Required Mileage: Transferable from SPG. JAL uses a distance based award chart and allows up to a maximum of 7 stopovers (8 segments). To figure out how many points you will need, add up the total amount of miles that will be flown (can do this on GCMap.com) and then find the appropriate row in the award chart (http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/use/partner_air/p_jmb/jmb_mile_ar.html). If you are traveling before 3/31/2017 there is a promotion for trips up to 4,000 miles (see http://www.jal.co.jp/121campaign/pg_discount/index_en.html for reduced mileage rates). The promotion makes JAL the best award redemption option for PG flights. 

Booking the Flight: The only way to find out if there is availability on the flight that you want is to call JAL. Recommended that you do so before transferring points. JAL doesn't allow you to hold a reservation so you have to hope that the flight doesn't get booked up while you're waiting for the point transfer to go through. Once the points post to your JAL account, call JAL back to book.
+1 800-525-3663 (5:00 - 18:00 PT) press 1 - 4 - JAL membership number - # - pin - # - 0 (for human or 1 for computer search)

Traveling with Infant: Tell JAL that you are flying with a lap child. They will put the infant on the reservation, but they will also tell you that you need to call PG directly to get the infant's ticket issued and pay for any taxes etc. JAL will only charge you for the adults on the reservation. Unless you speak Thai, calling PG won't work (when you press 9 for English when calling any of the Asian offices, the message will tell you to go to their website, and the office in Germany can't issue tickets). To add the infant, send an email to reservation@bangkokair.com with your confirmation number and tell them you want to have the lap infant's ticket issued. They will email you back with the price (data point: it was ~$96USD for CNX-USM-HKG for me) and ask you to reply with your cc info split into two separate emails for security (one email with first 8 digits, exp. and name on card, second email with last 8 digits, cvv, and billing address). I believe they only take Visa or MC. You'll then get an email back with confirmation.

Baggage Allowance: Economy passengers are allowed 20kg, infants (and dolls) are allowed 10kg. Excess weight on domestic flights will incur a charge of 80thb ($2.25ish) per kilo. International overage fee chart can be found here. Join the PG FlyingBonus program to receive an additional 10kg.

Contacting PG: In general, if you have any questions, the only way to speak with them in English besides email is PG Live Chat. You can find the link if you log in to your Flyer Bonus account. Chat reps are very helpful.

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO PAY (JAL AND PG) WITH A CC BELONGING TO SOMEONE THAT IS TRAVELING ON THE ITINERARY. PG WILL SOMETIMES ASK YOU TO SHOW THE CC USED TO PAY FOR THE TRIP WHEN YOU CHECK IN, AND RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY BOARDING IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

CX
Required Mileage:

EY
Required Mileage:

AB
Required Mileage:

Bangkok   BKK/DMK

Hotels                                              Activities                                          Chabad                                                                Additional Info
Viengtai Hotel (Ohr Menachem)
Davis Hotel (Beth Elisheva)
Shangr-La (Even Chen)
Sheraton Resort (Hua Hin)
Riva Surya
Kao Sahn Rd
Night Markets (near stadium)
Shopping Malls
Grand Palace
Kanchanaburi (2 hrs away)
Floating Markets
Beth Elisheva (Financial & Shopping district)
Even Chen
Ohr Menachem (Kao Sahn Rd)
ALWAYS use meter in taxis and
   try to say destination in Thai - if you
   need help with numbers as Cbs ;)
(Free) sim in airport at kiosks -(true move(h- sim), dtac
   (happy(micro) sim for iPhone)
Songkran (water fight week)- April 13th!
Kosherthailand.com
BKK Luggage Lockers - 100 baht/day/bag (~$3)
Public Transport
Domestic flights:
   Air Asia, Tiger Air, Thai, Bangkok Air
Tailor:
   Rajawongse

Phuket/Patong/Koh Phi Phi/Krabi   HKT/KBV

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Westin
JW Marriott
Sala Resort
Sheraton Krabi
The Pavilions
Holiday Inn Koh Phi Phi
Ritz Carlton Reserve
places w/ private pools
Beaches
Monkey Show
Cable Skiing
Longtail Boats
Island Tour
Koh Phi Phi:
Diving
Fire Show (wed is biggest)
Maya Bay (full day trip)
Nice Lookouts
Kayaking (to Monkey Beach)
Thai Boxing
Beware of summer weather; monsoon season
Best weather: Jan - May
Island Tour (can be done as a day trip or overnight):
   Andaman River, Maya Bay, Similian Islands, Krabi Islands,
   Koh Lanta (Emerald Cave)

Koh Samui   USM

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                          Additional Info
The Conrad
Sunday Resort
Sheraton
Le Meridian
The W
Le Murrya (Near Chabad)
Fx Hotel (Near Chabad)
Beaches
Diving (Koa Phangan, Koh Tao)
Ang Thong Marine Park Islands
Water Sports (at chaweng and boh phut),
Safari Island (elephants, tigers, zip line)
Scooter (around island)
Kayaking $30
Koh Tao and Koh Nangyuan Island trip w/ snorkeling
The Conrad will gladly make arrangements with
   the Chabad restaurant for Kosher food. Email them at usmks.fb@conradhotels.com

Chiang Mai   CNX

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Le Meridien (10 min. Walk to Chabad)
Shangri La (2 min. Walk to Chabad)
Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi
Sukantara Cascade Resort
Maese Elephant Show
Maetaeng Elephant Park
Patara Elephant Farm
Thai Elephant Home
Thoms Pai Elephant Camp
Bamboo Rafting
Tiger Kingdom
Monkey Shows
Snake Shows
Crocodile Shows
Zip Lining
Trekking
White Water Rafting
Longneck Tribe
Gun Shooting
Night Safari
Temples/Palaces
Chiang Mai River Boat (To Cooking School)
Extreme Sports!
Repelling
Caving,
ATVing
Bungee
Segways
Rent motorbikes (5$ day)
3D museum right down the road from Chabad
   (if you have an hour or two to kill)
Sunday Market (ratchadamonoen  Rd, old city)
Night Market (Changklan Rd, near Chabad & Le Meridien)
Sat Night Market (Wua Lai)
Tiger Kingdom is best in morning
Use ישראל 669  as travel agent for trips
   (next door to Chabad)
Recommended Zip Line: Flight of Gibbon or Flying Squirrel,
   can be reserved through Yackov (המרכז המטייל)
   for best price.
When reserving tours, ask for a discount due to
   using your own transportation
Tailors:
   CM Tailors
His and Hers- 3 minute walk from LM on the way to chabbad.

Chiang Rai   CEI/4hr drive from CNX

Le Meridien
Four Seasons Tent Camp Golden Triangle
Black House
Queens Residence
Night market
Day trip to Burma/Myanmar
Waterfalls
White Temple
Ruaamit elephant camp
Pai village (3 hr drive)
Hot Springs
Scooters
Golden Triangle

« Last edited by CR on July 26, 2020, 11:38:14 AM »

Author Topic: Thailand Master Thread  (Read 732404 times)

Offline jackfirst

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Thailand Master Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2012, 06:29:41 PM »
Wetness aside, Chiang Mai will still be the ideal place for a short 3 day visit in Thailand, or is it Bangkok, Puhket, or Samoi the ideal place for a short visit??

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2012, 06:39:12 PM »
Wetness aside, Chiang Mai will still be the ideal place for a short 3 day visit in Thailand, or is it Bangkok, Puhket, or Samoi the ideal place for a short visit??
Depends if you're more interested in sitting by the beach or doing other activities.
Chiang Mia is probably better for the latter...

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2012, 03:35:51 AM »
i finally got around to reading the whole thread, and i dont see much about phuket or / and koh samui.
out of phuket i got the Andaman Sea and from KS i see the national park islands etc..
is there any other activities there that ppl here have done?
i heard in phuket theres bungee jumping..-

i will hopefully iy"h be in phuket for pesach and want to do some stuff on Chol hamoed. - im thinking maybe to do a day or two in phuket and hop on a flight (or even a bus) to koh samui for end of chol hamoed (and maybe even last days of pesach)

so my question here is what activites can be done in Phuket and Koh Samui - besides the above mentioned activites.?

@chikkymonkey - the tailor you reccomend in bangkok, can u bargain him down below $30 a shirt? and have you heard of the tailor Aviv or Amit?

thanx.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 31, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »
im in a big dilemma here:

ive asked around to many many tourists and i get diff answers from everyone. i would like to hear some opinions from here

i have only thursday, Friday, Shabbos to go tour/vacation - that means i land there wed. night and i leave back (to bangkok) on motzei shabbos - what would you recommend me to do.

1. fly to Phuket and do a one day islands trip around phuket. phi phi islands, maya bay etc,.. or do a 2 day (coming back friday afternoon to phuket) then stay shabbos in phuket

2. fly to Koh Samui - and do an island tour on thurs. and friday some small activity on koh samui island and stay there for shabbos.

PRICE:
Phuket - $68 RT (i have a $100 coupon from Thai)
Koh Samui - $240 RT  - not with THAI air and hopefully im able to (if possible) sell the MPD coupon for $100 .

thanx!

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 31, 2012, 09:43:09 PM »
I would skip both and go to Chaing Mai. Nice Shabbos there too

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 31, 2012, 09:49:55 PM »
shabbos i think would be nice in all places, but regarding the touring i dont know if i wanna give up on seeing the beautiful water beaches, snorkling ....
besides i have done elephant riding in kanchanaburi and i have pictures with tigers. - the only major thing there i didnt do which i would like to is the Flight of the Gibbon

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2012, 09:53:01 PM »
I didn't do USM, but was completely underwhelmed with HKT.
Go to KOA, OGG, or LIH if you want to see beautiful beaches and snorkeling, etc.
+1 to CNX all the way.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 31, 2012, 10:01:19 PM »
I didn't do USM, but was completely underwhelmed with HKT.
Go to KOA, OGG, or LIH if you want to see beautiful beaches and snorkeling, etc.
+1 to CNX all the way.
i didnt either hear anything nice or good about HKT but i would go for the surrounding islands, - and USM they say is nice but im not sure i want to put $200+ out just for the day and a half +shabbos that id spend there

and no one i spoke to hear was underwhelmed with the islands. (maybe thats just the israeli mind ;) )

and lets say id go with CNX, then obviously id do flight of the gibbon and then maybe some safari stuff and what else would u say in the 2 days (thurs , fri)

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 31, 2012, 10:03:15 PM »
Other than the resort we were in, USM was quite underwhelming as well. Very dirty with lots of stray dogs roaming around. HKT was not so impressive either

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #189 on: May 31, 2012, 10:13:26 PM »
i didnt either hear anything nice or good about HKT but i would go for the surrounding islands, - and USM they say is nice but im not sure i want to put $200+ out just for the day and a half +shabbos that id spend there

and no one i spoke to hear was underwhelmed with the islands. (maybe thats just the israeli mind ;) )

and lets say id go with CNX, then obviously id do flight of the gibbon and then maybe some safari stuff and what else would u say in the 2 days (thurs , fri)
Israelis also make Eilat out to be way more than it is.

Read through what chikky posted about CNX earlier in this thread for suggestions.  Can you stay in CNX for the Sunday market or you need to be back?  The Saturday market isn't bad either.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2012, 10:18:36 PM »
i certainly would not choose cnx because of flight of the gibbon. it was fun but not unbelievable

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 31, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »
easy to say, especially if/since uve been there multiple times. but when will i make it to Hawaii? im sure i will but it may take a nice few years till that happens and if im already in thailand why blow the chance of enjoying the water.

have you done the tour around phi phi, krabi, etc.. or just stayed in HKT?

Israelis also make Eilat out to be way more than it is.

Read through what chikky posted about CNX earlier in this thread for suggestions.  Can you stay in CNX for the Sunday market or you need to be back?  The Saturday market isn't bad either.
well eilat is nice and i hear snorkeling is much better in eilat over Thailand

i have an 8:35 am flight out of BKK on sunday to JFK, so i cant stay sunday and the last flight out of CNX on Motzei shabbos is 10:40 pm

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 31, 2012, 10:21:05 PM »
easy to say, especially if/since uve been there multiple times. but when will i make it to Hawaii? im sure i will but it may take a nice few years till that happens and if im already in thailand why blow the chance of enjoying the water.

have you done the tour around phi phi, krabi, etc.. or just stayed in HKT?
well eilat is nice and i hear snorkeling is much better in eilat over Thailand

i have an 8:35 am flight out of BKK on sunday to JFK, so i cant stay sunday and the last flight out of CNX on Motzei shabbos is 10:40 pm
The airport in CNX is just minutes from the city, so you can catch the Saturday night market.
And Eilat is only nice if you have never been to the carribean or hawaii.  But at least it's not as bad as HKT.
We were just in HKT and Khao Lak
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/12271
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/12440

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 31, 2012, 10:21:23 PM »
i certainly would not choose cnx because of flight of the gibbon. it was fun but not unbelievable
thats why i say that i would like to do it but im not gonna base the decision on that. - and i may be able to do the flight of gibbon sometime next week thats near pattaya - 2 hours from bangkok - its a bit smaller but also fun.

whats ur opinion on my dilemma? HKT and islands, USM and islands, or as ppl here saying CNX

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #194 on: May 31, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »
hard to say, since you did the tigers and elephants already

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:34 PM »
The airport in CNX is just minutes from the city, so you can catch the Saturday night market.
And Eilat is only nice if you have never been to the carribean or hawaii.  But at least it's not as bad as HKT.
We were just in HKT and Khao Lak
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/12271
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/12440
ok i read ur trip notes, very nice and detailed, and i dont see a reason to go to HKT, besides for the islands surrounding. (obviously its not as nice as hawaii/Caribbean)
as far as attractions in CNX, ive done tiger kingdom and elephants there is Atv in HKT and bungee and im not a big fan of markets in general even though some are nice, but dont forget, its not like im here for 2 days and i shouldnt miss a thailand market.
ive been in Bangkok for the past few months so i kinda trying to get away (vacation) from the thai style market / garbage....looking for somewhere to relax, nice place. besides, im not really looking to buy much stuff anyways, i probably have overweight as it is.

another reason i'd go to HKT for shabbos is because the shliach wont be there and i would be running shabbos there with 2 other guys so that sounds like fun  ;D
so my back to my original question, (a little clearer) if its between HKT and USM and im leaning more towards HKT - price wise and ill be shabbos with 2 guys i know - is it worth it to invest a little more money into going to USM for the attractions and where ill be prob spending shabbos with the shliach only?

Offline ChikkyMonkey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 31, 2012, 11:33:31 PM »
HKT is monsoon season, water visibility isn't great, and weather is unpredictable. I would go with USM and go on a day trip to Ang Thong Marine Park, a set of beautiful islands with gorgeous beaches.. you can kayak around some of them, snorkel etc...

Or take the Lompraya ferry and check out a neighboring island from Samui, such as Phangan, much quieter (unless it's during full moon parties) and some great nature.

If you would stay exclusively on SAMUI may not be worth it...

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 31, 2012, 11:43:10 PM »
HKT is monsoon season, water visibility isn't great, and weather is unpredictable. I would go with USM and go on a day trip to Ang Thong Marine Park, a set of beautiful islands with gorgeous beaches.. you can kayak around some of them, snorkel etc...

Or take the Lompraya ferry and check out a neighboring island from Samui, such as Phangan, much quieter (unless it's during full moon parties) and some great nature.

If you would stay exclusively on SAMUI may not be worth it...
so if i plan to do one day trip around the marine park  etc... and 42 island... then friday and shabbos on samui its worth the extra $170?

Offline ChikkyMonkey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 31, 2012, 11:47:44 PM »
I would pay the extra and go there... the chabad house on samui is very nice... relaxed..

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 31, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »
I would pay the extra and go there... the chabad house on samui is very nice... relaxed..
ok thanx. yes i did hear that about the chabad house.
and in your opinion / experience, where do u suggest the best place to get the tour package from? there are many places that sell , agents and online, some or more expensive and some are not reliable.
or do u have a specific day tour package ud advise? cuz i see there are many diff ones.

btw does anyone know if its possible to use an MPD coupon for a diff passenger if it has my name on coupon?