Topic Wiki

Upcoming Trips                                                                        Trip Reports
Proisrael
Martyb
ayman
SLMYRCB
benjie1305
shwarmabob gang
CS91 & EJB
Shauly

EJB
SRM
1st week of February
2nd week of February
3rd week of February
1st & 2nd week of April
2nd & 3rd week of July
2nd & 3rd week of July
3rd & 4th week of August
4th week of August

3rd week of January
3rd & 4th week of March
Dan Part 1, Dan Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 1 , ChikkyMonkey Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 3,
Aussiebochur, ZCN, Brian, TAVI, world2see, zvmiester, Cbs, Yehoshua, AJK, rots5,
Knowitall, Suave, Marco Polo, morgs

Inter-Thailand Flights   Bangkok Airways (PG)

PG flights are bookable on points through JAL, CX, EY and AB.

JAL
Required Mileage: Transferable from SPG. JAL uses a distance based award chart and allows up to a maximum of 7 stopovers (8 segments). To figure out how many points you will need, add up the total amount of miles that will be flown (can do this on GCMap.com) and then find the appropriate row in the award chart (http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/use/partner_air/p_jmb/jmb_mile_ar.html). If you are traveling before 3/31/2017 there is a promotion for trips up to 4,000 miles (see http://www.jal.co.jp/121campaign/pg_discount/index_en.html for reduced mileage rates). The promotion makes JAL the best award redemption option for PG flights. 

Booking the Flight: The only way to find out if there is availability on the flight that you want is to call JAL. Recommended that you do so before transferring points. JAL doesn't allow you to hold a reservation so you have to hope that the flight doesn't get booked up while you're waiting for the point transfer to go through. Once the points post to your JAL account, call JAL back to book.
+1 800-525-3663 (5:00 - 18:00 PT) press 1 - 4 - JAL membership number - # - pin - # - 0 (for human or 1 for computer search)

Traveling with Infant: Tell JAL that you are flying with a lap child. They will put the infant on the reservation, but they will also tell you that you need to call PG directly to get the infant's ticket issued and pay for any taxes etc. JAL will only charge you for the adults on the reservation. Unless you speak Thai, calling PG won't work (when you press 9 for English when calling any of the Asian offices, the message will tell you to go to their website, and the office in Germany can't issue tickets). To add the infant, send an email to reservation@bangkokair.com with your confirmation number and tell them you want to have the lap infant's ticket issued. They will email you back with the price (data point: it was ~$96USD for CNX-USM-HKG for me) and ask you to reply with your cc info split into two separate emails for security (one email with first 8 digits, exp. and name on card, second email with last 8 digits, cvv, and billing address). I believe they only take Visa or MC. You'll then get an email back with confirmation.

Baggage Allowance: Economy passengers are allowed 20kg, infants (and dolls) are allowed 10kg. Excess weight on domestic flights will incur a charge of 80thb ($2.25ish) per kilo. International overage fee chart can be found here. Join the PG FlyingBonus program to receive an additional 10kg.

Contacting PG: In general, if you have any questions, the only way to speak with them in English besides email is PG Live Chat. You can find the link if you log in to your Flyer Bonus account. Chat reps are very helpful.

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO PAY (JAL AND PG) WITH A CC BELONGING TO SOMEONE THAT IS TRAVELING ON THE ITINERARY. PG WILL SOMETIMES ASK YOU TO SHOW THE CC USED TO PAY FOR THE TRIP WHEN YOU CHECK IN, AND RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY BOARDING IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

CX
Required Mileage:

EY
Required Mileage:

AB
Required Mileage:

Bangkok   BKK/DMK

Hotels                                              Activities                                          Chabad                                                                Additional Info
Viengtai Hotel (Ohr Menachem)
Davis Hotel (Beth Elisheva)
Shangr-La (Even Chen)
Sheraton Resort (Hua Hin)
Riva Surya
Kao Sahn Rd
Night Markets (near stadium)
Shopping Malls
Grand Palace
Kanchanaburi (2 hrs away)
Floating Markets
Beth Elisheva (Financial & Shopping district)
Even Chen
Ohr Menachem (Kao Sahn Rd)
ALWAYS use meter in taxis and
   try to say destination in Thai - if you
   need help with numbers as Cbs ;)
(Free) sim in airport at kiosks -(true move(h- sim), dtac
   (happy(micro) sim for iPhone)
Songkran (water fight week)- April 13th!
Kosherthailand.com
BKK Luggage Lockers - 100 baht/day/bag (~$3)
Public Transport
Domestic flights:
   Air Asia, Tiger Air, Thai, Bangkok Air
Tailor:
   Rajawongse

Phuket/Patong/Koh Phi Phi/Krabi   HKT/KBV

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Westin
JW Marriott
Sala Resort
Sheraton Krabi
The Pavilions
Holiday Inn Koh Phi Phi
Ritz Carlton Reserve
places w/ private pools
Beaches
Monkey Show
Cable Skiing
Longtail Boats
Island Tour
Koh Phi Phi:
Diving
Fire Show (wed is biggest)
Maya Bay (full day trip)
Nice Lookouts
Kayaking (to Monkey Beach)
Thai Boxing
Beware of summer weather; monsoon season
Best weather: Jan - May
Island Tour (can be done as a day trip or overnight):
   Andaman River, Maya Bay, Similian Islands, Krabi Islands,
   Koh Lanta (Emerald Cave)

Koh Samui   USM

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                          Additional Info
The Conrad
Sunday Resort
Sheraton
Le Meridian
The W
Le Murrya (Near Chabad)
Fx Hotel (Near Chabad)
Beaches
Diving (Koa Phangan, Koh Tao)
Ang Thong Marine Park Islands
Water Sports (at chaweng and boh phut),
Safari Island (elephants, tigers, zip line)
Scooter (around island)
Kayaking $30
Koh Tao and Koh Nangyuan Island trip w/ snorkeling
The Conrad will gladly make arrangements with
   the Chabad restaurant for Kosher food. Email them at usmks.fb@conradhotels.com

Chiang Mai   CNX

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Le Meridien (10 min. Walk to Chabad)
Shangri La (2 min. Walk to Chabad)
Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi
Sukantara Cascade Resort
Maese Elephant Show
Maetaeng Elephant Park
Patara Elephant Farm
Thai Elephant Home
Thoms Pai Elephant Camp
Bamboo Rafting
Tiger Kingdom
Monkey Shows
Snake Shows
Crocodile Shows
Zip Lining
Trekking
White Water Rafting
Longneck Tribe
Gun Shooting
Night Safari
Temples/Palaces
Chiang Mai River Boat (To Cooking School)
Extreme Sports!
Repelling
Caving,
ATVing
Bungee
Segways
Rent motorbikes (5$ day)
3D museum right down the road from Chabad
   (if you have an hour or two to kill)
Sunday Market (ratchadamonoen  Rd, old city)
Night Market (Changklan Rd, near Chabad & Le Meridien)
Sat Night Market (Wua Lai)
Tiger Kingdom is best in morning
Use ישראל 669  as travel agent for trips
   (next door to Chabad)
Recommended Zip Line: Flight of Gibbon or Flying Squirrel,
   can be reserved through Yackov (המרכז המטייל)
   for best price.
When reserving tours, ask for a discount due to
   using your own transportation
Tailors:
   CM Tailors
His and Hers- 3 minute walk from LM on the way to chabbad.

Chiang Rai   CEI/4hr drive from CNX

Le Meridien
Four Seasons Tent Camp Golden Triangle
Black House
Queens Residence
Night market
Day trip to Burma/Myanmar
Waterfalls
White Temple
Ruaamit elephant camp
Pai village (3 hr drive)
Hot Springs
Scooters
Golden Triangle

« Last edited by CR on July 26, 2020, 11:38:14 AM »

Author Topic: Thailand Master Thread  (Read 732212 times)

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Thailand Master Thread
« Reply #280 on: July 25, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »
With regards to your flights there:

1) Keep in mind that El Al business Class to BKK often opens on the day of departure.
2) Instead of wasting a day in AMM, see if EY Business is open and spend a day in AUH for the same amount of miles.

PM me if you need help checking availability

Offline Cbs

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #281 on: July 25, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »
While in BKK, have Chabad deliver food to airport for 500 Baht fee.

Perhaps hire a driver for day to take us around to sites. (Laos perhaps?) I received a price quote from s/o who was recommended on FT for 2,000 baht + gas for the day.

I'd love anyone's advice or comments.
did u confirm with chabad that they will deliver to the airport for 500 baht?

and a driver for the day at 2000 baht i also think is a bit expensive, especially if its just for around CNX. if you are leaving the city and its a few hours drive than it would make sense but im sure you can find cheaper... or bargain down

Finally, any thoughts on the kashrus, or did you just eat at chabad when you were there?
there are very few items you can buy outside in the streets with a hechsher. but if u want regular meals than stick with chabad....i only ate there (5 months straight!) i can tell you the menu by heart if you want ;)

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 25, 2012, 05:05:42 PM »
did u confirm with chabad that they will deliver to the airport for 500 baht?

and a driver for the day at 2000 baht i also think is a bit expensive, especially if its just for around CNX. if you are leaving the city and its a few hours drive than it would make sense but im sure you can find cheaper... or bargain down

I called Chabad, and that's what a lady told me, but I'm not counting on it. I'll call them closer to the date to confirm.

W/ regards to the price, if we paid s/o, it would be to do a day trip to the environs. He sent me a list of 10 sample day trips, and if anyone's interested, I can post it here.

Also, any update on the sim cards? Do I need to bring a phone to use and try to find a sim card? Do they still have them in the airport? And where is the best place to exchange money? Street?

Offline yas

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 25, 2012, 05:09:41 PM »
Here is our tentative itinerary for our trip.

Spend the 4th night at the Le Meridian on c&p (which was only bookable after hours of calls and chats. it seems that they don't have 'standard' rooms, they're all deluxe or higher)

What did you tell them in order to book? I need to call them tonight, last time i tried the reservation was closed.

I have one day im looking to spend at a resort my options are either-

Chiang Rai LM Cat 2
Seems like a nicer area but it will mean driving up 3 hours on Thursday and then taking a 10:40 flight, arrive 11:4- on Friday  ($89) so we could be Shabbos in Bangkok to catch our 1:00am flight out Moitzei Shabbos, i would also like time Friday to check out the palace and floating markets

Sheraton Pattaya Cat 4
The resort is just south of Pattaya along the beach i dont plan on going in to the city) but since we are going to be in BKK for Friday and Shabbos it might just be worth flying CNX-BKK on Thursday57$ and spending the Thursday afternoon and night at the Sheraton

Land in Chiang Rai in evening, stay in Le Meridian for 2 nights on c&p

Is there anything specific you found to do in Chiang Rai that cant be done out of Chiang Mai, or are you going more for the LM which seems to be very nice?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:14:51 PM by yas »

Offline yas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 25, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »

W/ regards to the price, if we paid s/o, it would be to do a day trip to the environs. He sent me a list of 10 sample day trips, and if anyone's interested, I can post it here.
I would be interested maybe it will give me some more ideas :D

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 25, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »
I called Chabad, and that's what a lady told me, but I'm not counting on it. I'll call them closer to the date to confirm.

Also, any update on the sim cards? Do I need to bring a phone to use and try to find a sim card? Do they still have them in the airport? And where is the best place to exchange money? Street?
if she told you they deliver than they deliver...i just dont remember them delivering there prob becasue its an unusual request but i guess they do.
with a sim card, i dont recall seeing free ones anywhere - even in airport. but you can get "trueMove" sim card and usually itll cost bet 50 - 100 baht and it comes with like 35 baht already on it, and the rates in thailand are 1 baht per minute and its i think the same to call US (or maybe 3 baht)
or go to any 7-11 and they usually have the simcards, and thats where u topup if u need to.
regarding money exchange, id say at the airport isnt too bad but maybe in street ull get a drop more.- check the rate before you leave and see what they give in airport. (in BKK all money places give same rate)

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 25, 2012, 05:38:12 PM »
if she told you they deliver than they deliver...i just dont remember them delivering there prob becasue its an unusual request but i guess they do.
with a sim card, i dont recall seeing free ones anywhere - even in airport. but you can get "trueMove" sim card and usually itll cost bet 50 - 100 baht and it comes with like 35 baht already on it, and the rates in thailand are 1 baht per minute and its i think the same to call US (or maybe 3 baht)
or go to any 7-11 and they usually have the simcards, and thats where u topup if u need to.
regarding money exchange, id say at the airport isnt too bad but maybe in street ull get a drop more.- check the rate before you leave and see what they give in airport. (in BKK all money places give same rate)

But I would need to bring a global phone to put the SIM card into? (excuse my complete ignorance about SIM cards)
Would my Israel phone work?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 25, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »
But I would need to bring a global phone to put the SIM card into? (excuse my complete ignorance about SIM cards)
Would my Israel phone work?
ur israel phone should work
and it costs also like 1 - 3 baht to call israel as well

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #288 on: July 25, 2012, 05:46:51 PM »
the river ride is perfectly fine for an infant

the sunday night market is indeed different than the sat night one

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 25, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »
the river ride is perfectly fine for an infant

the sunday night market is indeed different than the sat night one
whats the difference?

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #290 on: July 25, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »
different items for sale

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 26, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »
HUCA.... Thats how we all got there  :)
[/quote
not only did this not work for me, it totally backfired. i called 3 times to add bkk cnx to my flight to no avail, they did tell me bkk to hkt would be ok as i a/h was stopping in hkt ( i have a flight leaving from there to hong kong). when i called now to add that flight they told me that my reservation was illegeal and that they had a note that i called numerous times to add a flight, and bacially we are not happy with you so we wont add this flight for you. i told them that as i was told by two people that i could add this flight i booked a hotel for $300 for that night. they kindly offered to cancel my flight for me. as if thats going to help with all my other confirmed hotel reservations.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 26, 2012, 03:47:27 PM »
[/quote
not only did this not work for me, it totally backfired. i called 3 times to add bkk cnx to my flight to no avail, they did tell me bkk to hkt would be ok as i a/h was stopping in hkt ( i have a flight leaving from there to hong kong). when i called now to add that flight they told me that my reservation was illegeal and that they had a note that i called numerous times to add a flight, and bacially we are not happy with you so we wont add this flight for you. i told them that as i was told by two people that i could add this flight i booked a hotel for $300 for that night. they kindly offered to cancel my flight for me. as if thats going to help with all my other confirmed hotel reservations.
[/quote]

Wow! That's s/t I'm afraid about as well for my calls.

As of now though, they haven't canceled you? Did they tell you what's illegal?

Worst comes to worst, the flights from BKK up north run as low as 50-70 pp one way

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 26, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »
HUCA.... Thats how we all got there  :)
If this is aa, ur had bad luck. If this is UA the answer is.... HUCA. I've been told that before. Once it's ticketed it's illegal (as in against the law) for them to cancel it.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 26, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »
as of now they didnt cancel.
to fly sunday afternoon flights are about 85 person plus infant, pretty much 200 before luggage which is going to cost me about another 80. so 280 to fly economy instead of businees for 180 really sucks!! gam zoo letova

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 26, 2012, 04:02:31 PM »
If this is aa, ur had bad luck. If this is UA the answer is.... HUCA. I've been told that before. Once it's ticketed it's illegal (as in against the law) for them to cancel it.
its aeroplan

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 26, 2012, 04:04:06 PM »

sorry missed that part. they told me the booking from tlv to zurich to bkk is illeagal

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 26, 2012, 04:24:30 PM »

sorry missed that part. they told me the booking from tlv to zurich to bkk is illeagal

Wow. Good for you that s/o booked that for you.
It's illegal b/c it's backtracking?

Offline MAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 26, 2012, 04:28:59 PM »
Wow. Good for you that s/o booked that for you.
It's illegal b/c it's backtracking?
i was considering cancelling and rebooking as anyhow there are better flights now. however if it really is illegal than i definetly wont go that route

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 26, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »
What did you tell them in order to book? I need to call them tonight, last time i tried the reservation was closed.

I have one day im looking to spend at a resort my options are either-

Chiang Rai LM Cat 2
Seems like a nicer area but it will mean driving up 3 hours on Thursday and then taking a 10:40 flight, arrive 11:4- on Friday  ($89) so we could be Shabbos in Bangkok to catch our 1:00am flight out Moitzei Shabbos, i would also like time Friday to check out the palace and floating markets

Sheraton Pattaya Cat 4
The resort is just south of Pattaya along the beach i dont plan on going in to the city) but since we are going to be in BKK for Friday and Shabbos it might just be worth flying CNX-BKK on Thursday57$ and spending the Thursday afternoon and night at the Sheraton

Is there anything specific you found to do in Chiang Rai that cant be done out of Chiang Mai, or are you going more for the LM which seems to be very nice?

Just saw your questions.

With regards to the Chiang Rai, I finally found a supervisor who confirmed to me that they don't offer 'standard' rooms, only deluxe, but that the lowest level room should be allowed for award booking. But this may be a YMMV issue, b/c the rep I dealt with beforehand wasted over an hour of my time.

If you're rushing up to Chiang Rai for less than 24 hrs, I don't think it's worthwhile.

We're going there, partially b/c of the resort, but also so we can be more exposed to different options.

I was told by a friend who has been to Thailand a bunch of times that Pattaya is a place for Europeans to go to when they are looking for prostitutes. But the hotel looks beautiful.