Topic Wiki

Upcoming Trips                                                                        Trip Reports
Proisrael
Martyb
ayman
SLMYRCB
benjie1305
shwarmabob gang
CS91 & EJB
Shauly

EJB
SRM
1st week of February
2nd week of February
3rd week of February
1st & 2nd week of April
2nd & 3rd week of July
2nd & 3rd week of July
3rd & 4th week of August
4th week of August

3rd week of January
3rd & 4th week of March
Dan Part 1, Dan Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 1 , ChikkyMonkey Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 3,
Aussiebochur, ZCN, Brian, TAVI, world2see, zvmiester, Cbs, Yehoshua, AJK, rots5,
Knowitall, Suave, Marco Polo, morgs

Inter-Thailand Flights   Bangkok Airways (PG)

PG flights are bookable on points through JAL, CX, EY and AB.

JAL
Required Mileage: Transferable from SPG. JAL uses a distance based award chart and allows up to a maximum of 7 stopovers (8 segments). To figure out how many points you will need, add up the total amount of miles that will be flown (can do this on GCMap.com) and then find the appropriate row in the award chart (http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/use/partner_air/p_jmb/jmb_mile_ar.html). If you are traveling before 3/31/2017 there is a promotion for trips up to 4,000 miles (see http://www.jal.co.jp/121campaign/pg_discount/index_en.html for reduced mileage rates). The promotion makes JAL the best award redemption option for PG flights. 

Booking the Flight: The only way to find out if there is availability on the flight that you want is to call JAL. Recommended that you do so before transferring points. JAL doesn't allow you to hold a reservation so you have to hope that the flight doesn't get booked up while you're waiting for the point transfer to go through. Once the points post to your JAL account, call JAL back to book.
+1 800-525-3663 (5:00 - 18:00 PT) press 1 - 4 - JAL membership number - # - pin - # - 0 (for human or 1 for computer search)

Traveling with Infant: Tell JAL that you are flying with a lap child. They will put the infant on the reservation, but they will also tell you that you need to call PG directly to get the infant's ticket issued and pay for any taxes etc. JAL will only charge you for the adults on the reservation. Unless you speak Thai, calling PG won't work (when you press 9 for English when calling any of the Asian offices, the message will tell you to go to their website, and the office in Germany can't issue tickets). To add the infant, send an email to reservation@bangkokair.com with your confirmation number and tell them you want to have the lap infant's ticket issued. They will email you back with the price (data point: it was ~$96USD for CNX-USM-HKG for me) and ask you to reply with your cc info split into two separate emails for security (one email with first 8 digits, exp. and name on card, second email with last 8 digits, cvv, and billing address). I believe they only take Visa or MC. You'll then get an email back with confirmation.

Baggage Allowance: Economy passengers are allowed 20kg, infants (and dolls) are allowed 10kg. Excess weight on domestic flights will incur a charge of 80thb ($2.25ish) per kilo. International overage fee chart can be found here. Join the PG FlyingBonus program to receive an additional 10kg.

Contacting PG: In general, if you have any questions, the only way to speak with them in English besides email is PG Live Chat. You can find the link if you log in to your Flyer Bonus account. Chat reps are very helpful.

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO PAY (JAL AND PG) WITH A CC BELONGING TO SOMEONE THAT IS TRAVELING ON THE ITINERARY. PG WILL SOMETIMES ASK YOU TO SHOW THE CC USED TO PAY FOR THE TRIP WHEN YOU CHECK IN, AND RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY BOARDING IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

CX
Required Mileage:

EY
Required Mileage:

AB
Required Mileage:

Bangkok   BKK/DMK

Hotels                                              Activities                                          Chabad                                                                Additional Info
Viengtai Hotel (Ohr Menachem)
Davis Hotel (Beth Elisheva)
Shangr-La (Even Chen)
Sheraton Resort (Hua Hin)
Riva Surya
Kao Sahn Rd
Night Markets (near stadium)
Shopping Malls
Grand Palace
Kanchanaburi (2 hrs away)
Floating Markets
Beth Elisheva (Financial & Shopping district)
Even Chen
Ohr Menachem (Kao Sahn Rd)
ALWAYS use meter in taxis and
   try to say destination in Thai - if you
   need help with numbers as Cbs ;)
(Free) sim in airport at kiosks -(true move(h- sim), dtac
   (happy(micro) sim for iPhone)
Songkran (water fight week)- April 13th!
Kosherthailand.com
BKK Luggage Lockers - 100 baht/day/bag (~$3)
Public Transport
Domestic flights:
   Air Asia, Tiger Air, Thai, Bangkok Air
Tailor:
   Rajawongse

Phuket/Patong/Koh Phi Phi/Krabi   HKT/KBV

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Westin
JW Marriott
Sala Resort
Sheraton Krabi
The Pavilions
Holiday Inn Koh Phi Phi
Ritz Carlton Reserve
places w/ private pools
Beaches
Monkey Show
Cable Skiing
Longtail Boats
Island Tour
Koh Phi Phi:
Diving
Fire Show (wed is biggest)
Maya Bay (full day trip)
Nice Lookouts
Kayaking (to Monkey Beach)
Thai Boxing
Beware of summer weather; monsoon season
Best weather: Jan - May
Island Tour (can be done as a day trip or overnight):
   Andaman River, Maya Bay, Similian Islands, Krabi Islands,
   Koh Lanta (Emerald Cave)

Koh Samui   USM

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                          Additional Info
The Conrad
Sunday Resort
Sheraton
Le Meridian
The W
Le Murrya (Near Chabad)
Fx Hotel (Near Chabad)
Beaches
Diving (Koa Phangan, Koh Tao)
Ang Thong Marine Park Islands
Water Sports (at chaweng and boh phut),
Safari Island (elephants, tigers, zip line)
Scooter (around island)
Kayaking $30
Koh Tao and Koh Nangyuan Island trip w/ snorkeling
The Conrad will gladly make arrangements with
   the Chabad restaurant for Kosher food. Email them at usmks.fb@conradhotels.com

Chiang Mai   CNX

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Le Meridien (10 min. Walk to Chabad)
Shangri La (2 min. Walk to Chabad)
Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi
Sukantara Cascade Resort
Maese Elephant Show
Maetaeng Elephant Park
Patara Elephant Farm
Thai Elephant Home
Thoms Pai Elephant Camp
Bamboo Rafting
Tiger Kingdom
Monkey Shows
Snake Shows
Crocodile Shows
Zip Lining
Trekking
White Water Rafting
Longneck Tribe
Gun Shooting
Night Safari
Temples/Palaces
Chiang Mai River Boat (To Cooking School)
Extreme Sports!
Repelling
Caving,
ATVing
Bungee
Segways
Rent motorbikes (5$ day)
3D museum right down the road from Chabad
   (if you have an hour or two to kill)
Sunday Market (ratchadamonoen  Rd, old city)
Night Market (Changklan Rd, near Chabad & Le Meridien)
Sat Night Market (Wua Lai)
Tiger Kingdom is best in morning
Use ישראל 669  as travel agent for trips
   (next door to Chabad)
Recommended Zip Line: Flight of Gibbon or Flying Squirrel,
   can be reserved through Yackov (המרכז המטייל)
   for best price.
When reserving tours, ask for a discount due to
   using your own transportation
Tailors:
   CM Tailors
His and Hers- 3 minute walk from LM on the way to chabbad.

Chiang Rai   CEI/4hr drive from CNX

Le Meridien
Four Seasons Tent Camp Golden Triangle
Black House
Queens Residence
Night market
Day trip to Burma/Myanmar
Waterfalls
White Temple
Ruaamit elephant camp
Pai village (3 hr drive)
Hot Springs
Scooters
Golden Triangle

« Last edited by CR on July 26, 2020, 11:38:14 AM »

Author Topic: Thailand Master Thread  (Read 743114 times)

Offline zvmiester

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Thailand Master Thread
« Reply #920 on: April 21, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »
This will have to do, thanks :)

What plane did you fly into BKK? From where? (I want to see if it was the new F or not...)

How much was Shabbas meals in CNX chabad?

What are "long necks?" Giraffes?

I was wondering about the professional photos -- both you and Dan and others just recommend tipping an employee. That seals it for me.

Good tip about signing up for Bangkok Air's FF prog for 10kg extra!
newwork to london london to bkk
bkk to hongkong i was on a new plane the 2 story one but they had no availability on 1st so business had to do
long necks are a tribe google them 
chabad meals free but i gave a donation at the end of the trip to each his own

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #921 on: April 21, 2013, 04:01:47 PM »
We're skipping HKT this time 'round. So no use for us, but thanks anyway.
oops. Thought you were. Anyone. Is this worth it?
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 21, 2013, 04:03:30 PM »
Yep, flight of the gibbon is on the itin :)

Maybe I'll organize everything through this Yisrael guy? Does he have an email? Speak english well?

Wednesday afternoon to Monday afternoon.
Nice!

Flight of the Gibbon is great! (Email them to confirm but you should get a discount for using your own transportation which should be around the same youll be paying per day for your driver so definitely worth it).

If you want the real elephant riding without breaking the bank, the 2 hour tour here is perfect, http://thaielephanthome.com/

Do the Tiger Kingdom in the morning (when they open) and you can do the Snake farm and the Monkey Show (personally not a fan) and then go onto the Elephant show.

Sat/Sun Night Markets are very Thailand.

Long Neck Tribe is interesting. Obviously theyre all trying to sell things.Probably nice to buy something if youre coming to gawk at them. Usually very happy to take pics with you.

You shouldnt pay more than 700THB/day for a driver though you can try and negotiate if you are taking multiple days.

Do all the activities in CNX and just relax in USM (Unless you like partying, it can get pretty crazy).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:12:44 PM by aussiebochur »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #923 on: April 21, 2013, 04:13:03 PM »
Nice!

Flight of the Gibbon is great!

If you want the real elephant riding without breaking the bank, the 2 hour tour here is perfect, http://thaielephanthome.com/

Do the Tiger Kingdom in the morning (when they open) and you can do the Snake farm and the Monkey Show (personally not a fan) and then go onto the Elephant show.

Sat/Sun Night Markets are very Thailand.

Long Neck Tribe is interesting. Obviously theyre all trying to sell things.Probably nice to buy something if youre coming to gawk at them. Usually very happy to take pics with you.

You shouldnt pay more than 700THB/day for a driver though you can try and negotiate if you are taking multiple days.

Do all the activities in CNX and just relax in USM (Unless you like partying, it can get pretty crazy).

GMTA :)

Thanks for the thoughts.

I actually just decided on the Thai Elephant Home, but was thinking about doing the full day thing for 4500 BHT (yes, it's more expensive than the 2 hour, but the reviews are also stellar).

So maybe I'm thinking the following:

One day at Thai Elephant Home;
One day doing, as you said below, tiger kingdom, elephant show, snake farm and monkey show;
One day doing,  Segway gibbon and flight of the gibbon;
Saturday and Sunday night markets;
and, if I can fit it in a half day/day of rock climbing/caving

And then 4 days of relaxing in USM :)

ETA: Great tip about asking for discount for my own transportation, especially because we'd both be in the same car!
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 21, 2013, 04:18:44 PM »
In 2 hours they show you how to get on/off and ride them, stop/starting, turning etc. Then they take you down to the river where you get to clean them/play with them for an hour. Actually riding them isnt so pleasant after a couple hours.
But the full day definitely gets you a lot more. Rolling in the mud with elephants does make for some good memories (and hilarious photos)

If you want something a little relaxing, theres the boat ride, http://www.maepingrivercruise.com/

Of course, get a massage.

And if you want something with a little more action, ATVing, http://www.atv-chiangmai-tours.com/ and Extreme Sports/Bungee Jumping, http://www.chiangmai-xcentre.com/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:23:12 PM by aussiebochur »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #925 on: April 21, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »
If you want something a little relaxing, theres the boat ride, http://www.maepingrivercruise.com/

Of course, get a massage.

And if you want something with a little more action, ATVing, http://www.atv-chiangmai-tours.com/ and Extreme Sports/Bungee Jumping, http://www.chiangmai-xcentre.com/

The reviews of xcentre on TA are horrific... but the ATVs look very cool.

As far as massage, I don't recall, but I may or may not have promised my wife a massage upon waking, and a massage prior to retiring :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:26:28 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 21, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »
The reviews of xcentre on TA are horrific... but the ATVs look very call.

As far as massage, I don't recall, but I may or may not have promised my wife a massage upon waking, and a massage prior to retiring :)
If do Bungee Jumping, if they ask if you if you want to have your head dunked in the water, know you will get soaked and take off your shirt or bring a spare.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 21, 2013, 04:27:34 PM »
If do Bungee Jumping, if they ask if you if you want to have your head dunked in the water, know you will get soaked and take off your shirt or bring a spare.

I guess you did it?

I don't think we'll be doing it here... we're hoping to do it here  ;D ;D

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 21, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »
I guess you did it?

I don't think we'll be doing it here... we're hoping to do it here  ;D ;D
Thats waaay cooler.

Though gotta go to NZ for the original and most awesome bungee jumping.

Nepal looks cool as well.

Online moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #929 on: April 21, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »
for flight of the gibbons, the israeli place next to the chabad had the cheapest prices in town. i priced it to all sorts of discounts and the israelis were cheaper. i ordered pickup from there so i was able to get some breakfast to go to eat on the journey up

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #930 on: April 21, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »
Thats waaay cooler.

Though gotta go to NZ for the original and most awesome bungee jumping.

Nepal looks cool as well.

Yeah, one day... I believe the one in NZ was by the same guy (maybe that's what you mean by original)...

for flight of the gibbons, the israeli place next to the chabad had the cheapest prices in town. i priced it to all sorts of discounts and the israelis were cheaper. i ordered pickup from there so i was able to get some breakfast to go to eat on the journey up

Great! Anyone have contact info for this israeli place? Having food on the way to our day excursion would be clutch.

Online moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #931 on: April 21, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
Yeah, one day... I believe the one in NZ was by the same guy (maybe that's what you mean by original)...

theyre both aj hackett, but the one in queenstown (the kawarau bridge location) is the original commercial bungee operation in the world

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 21, 2013, 04:48:09 PM »
Great! Anyone have contact info for this israeli place? Having food on the way to our day excursion would be clutch.
I cant find it but even if you go through them (compare with direct quote) ask for excluding transportation and take your own driver and pick up food on the way.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 21, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
I cant find it but even if you go through them (compare with direct quote) ask for excluding transportation and take your own driver and pick up food on the way.

Will do; thanks.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 21, 2013, 04:53:56 PM »
Will do; thanks.
Got it. http://www.669tours.com/ and I think this is their number, 053-820902

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 21, 2013, 04:55:38 PM »
Got it. http://www.669tours.com/ and I think this is their number, 053-820902

Thumbs up, aussiebochur.

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 21, 2013, 05:02:57 PM »
Would it be of a benefit to have a Wiki over who has been in Thailand, along with the cities they've been in?

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #937 on: April 21, 2013, 05:03:42 PM »
Would it be of a benefit to have a Wiki over who has been in Thailand, along with the cities they've been in?
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=2882.0
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 21, 2013, 05:06:16 PM »
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=2882.0
Those are TRs, not a simple list of who has been there

Also, since I never wrote a TR, if you're in the north by Chiang Rai, I highly recommend the Black House. The White Temple also looks stunning, but I didn't go there due to halachik concerns.

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #939 on: April 21, 2013, 07:23:13 PM »
haha kk heres the TR landed in bkk fri morning thai air 1st class = amazing!!!! stayed at holtel across from chabbad called Viengtai decent ac worked had a pool the basics.shabb chabad. sunday morning flew air asia to phuket stayed at Lm kaho lak didnt pick up food first on the way cause i figured i would go in to phuket for the day anyway to check it out but the resort was so nice that i didnt want to waist the day in a car!! luckily i met the rabbi from chiang mai he had a car and was driving in to phuket anyway so i ordered food and he brought it back for me = really nice guy!!!!
stayed at kaho lak from sunday through wensday wensday night flew to chiang mai air asia again stayed at the lm  thursday did all the animal shows and tiger kingdom (payed the guy in the cage 50 bht took GR8 pics  no need to spend 300bht for the "professional" ones )
   fri took a day trip in a ten seater van with a guide to the long necks some other village some cave and orchat garden everything besides the long necks was a complete waist of time and money kinda upsetting
shabbas at chabad  was gr8
sunday did the elephant camp also in the van once i was on the way the guide mentions that where also heading to the long necks and orcht garden since some of the other ppl on the tour payed for it
so we got him to drop us off after the elephant camp to a place and we where able to get a cab back
monday afternoon took bangkok air back to bkk sign up for there ff program and get a extra 10 k of luggage :)
since we where on the way to israel we kept all our luggage and the Viengtai hotel for 30 bht a day per bag so we when back there for monday night
tues morn flew thai air business to hongkong but thats for a diff thread :)
Nice TR. how did you meet the rabbi of CNX in phuket area with a car? he drove allt he way down and back up?

and i also thought the trip with the orchid farm etc was one big waste of time and money.
and we signed up for thai airways mileage program and got an extra 10k as well

Yep, flight of the gibbon is on the itin :)

Maybe I'll organize everything through this Yisrael guy? Does he have an email? Speak english well?

Yisrael wont send you to Flight of the gibbon AFAIK. maybe if you ask him he will but in general he has a contract with Flying Squirrel and hell convince you its the same thing (which it is). - But its true that the israelis have the best rate for the Ziplining. i paid 1800 baht if im not mistaken which is the cheapest ive seen.
he speaks english very well. i dont know his email.

What are "long necks?" Giraffes?

I was wondering about the professional photos -- both you and Dan and others just recommend tipping an employee. That seals it for me.

long necks -

regarding pics in tiger cage, youll always have a guide iwth you so u can just give him your camera. if u want to be nice then tip him a $1.50 :)

Those are TRs, not a simple list of who has been there

Also, since I never wrote a TR, if you're in the north by Chiang Rai, I highly recommend the Black House. The White Temple also looks stunning, but I didn't go there due to halachik concerns.
maybe someone can put together a wiki of stuff to do in thailand in each city . because otherwise theres gonna be many more of these conversations !