Author Topic: How Marriott and Atlantis pulled a fast one! Or was it just a coincidence?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
So my wife and I are planning to go the Bahamas for winter break and we booked the Cove prior to the merge for 5 nights.
Since there seems to be a lack of information regarding how Atlantis treats its platinum members, I decided to read the T&C for myself.

Having read the T&C from start to finish, nowhere does it mention that Atlantis, being an Autograph collection, is exluded from club lounge/breakfast. In fact, according to the spreadsheet, it says that Autograph collection resorts are INCLUDED.

https://members.marriott.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/MAKHAR18008_TBOP_Microsite_Platinum-Elite_Welcome-Gift_Final2.pdf

Let me allow you to decide for yourselves. The T&C has the following exclusion criteria for Atlantis in section 1.2:

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 10.56.31 AM by

Bullet 5 to me is the most important. It says limted benefits are provided as as per sections 1.3 and 4. Section 4 talks about platinum members and the right to lounge/complimentary breakfast. Given this, one would believe that Atlantis is included in the benefits listed in these sections.

So i reach out to Atlantis directly and they told me there policy is that they do not give complimentary breakfast or lounge access to platinums. They told me that this is stated in the T&C. When I started to disagree with them and tell them that no where does it say that in the T&C, they told me they will have Atlantis' Marriott Liaison reach out to me to point out the T&C and where it says it.

I get a phone call this Friday from the Atlantis' Marriott Liaison (1 week later), and the agent says that it clearly states in section 1.2 that breakfast is excluded for Atlantis. Since I already read it, and knew that it stated that nowhere, I asked them to forward me the link. She email me the link to the T&C, and I noticed this:

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 10.56.40 AM by

At this point, I thought to myself that I was either crazy and missed that line, or something else happened, since there would no way that i would have missed that last line.

Thanks for Google Cache, i was able to pull up the archived version of the page from a week prior (Nov 1) which clearly shows that "except for the breakfast option associated with the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift benefit which is not available,[/b][/i] and Section 6.4."" was added!

So Marriott, instead of admitting there error or honoring there T&C, decided to change the T&C and claim to me that this T&C had always said that breakfast was not included.

Marriott and Atlantis were caught red handed. I confronted the Atlantis' Marriott Liaison agent and provided the Google Cache version and she claimed to be just as shocked as I was and profusely stated this is just a coincidence and there is no way that Atlantis changed the T&C this fast just because I brought it to there attention. She assured me that Marriott was not trying to pull a fast one and that the T&C had to have been updated at the same time by coincidence.

She anyways said she will reach out back to Atlantis and she will do her best to honor the original T&C and provide breakfast and/or lounge access and will get back to me in a week.

Attached are the screenshots of the different T&C and the links.

What do you guys think? Did Atlantis notice the error in T&C and try to pull a fast one to get out of honoring the Platinum benefit? Or was it really a coincidence.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:t8di4iY0u14J:https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: How Marriott and Atlantis pulled a fast one! Or was it just a coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 12:28:22 PM »
So my wife and I are planning to go the Bahamas for winter break and we booked the Cove prior to the merge for 5 nights.
Since there seems to be a lack of information regarding how Atlantis treats its platinum members, I decided to read the T&C for myself.

Having read the T&C from start to finish, nowhere does it mention that Atlantis, being an Autograph collection, is exluded from club lounge/breakfast. In fact, according to the spreadsheet, it says that Autograph collection resorts are INCLUDED.

https://members.marriott.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/MAKHAR18008_TBOP_Microsite_Platinum-Elite_Welcome-Gift_Final2.pdf

Let me allow you to decide for yourselves. The T&C has the following exclusion criteria for Atlantis in section 1.2:

Bullet 5 to me is the most important. It says limted benefits are provided as as per sections 1.3 and 4. Section 4 talks about platinum members and the right to lounge/complimentary breakfast. Given this, one would believe that Atlantis is included in the benefits listed in these sections.

So i reach out to Atlantis directly and they told me there policy is that they do not give complimentary breakfast or lounge access to platinums. They told me that this is stated in the T&C. When I started to disagree with them and tell them that no where does it say that in the T&C, they told me they will have Atlantis' Marriott Liaison reach out to me to point out the T&C and where it says it.

I get a phone call this Friday from the Atlantis' Marriott Liaison (1 week later), and the agent says that it clearly states in section 1.2 that breakfast is excluded for Atlantis. Since I already read it, and knew that it stated that nowhere, I asked them to forward me the link. She email me the link to the T&C, and I noticed this:

At this point, I thought to myself that I was either crazy and missed that line, or something else happened, since there would no way that i would have missed that last line.

Thanks for Google Cache, i was able to pull up the archived version of the page from a week prior (Nov 1) which clearly shows that "except for the breakfast option associated with the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift benefit which is not available,[/b][/i] and Section 6.4."" was added!

So Marriott, instead of admitting there error or honoring there T&C, decided to change the T&C and claim to me that this T&C had always said that breakfast was not included.

Marriott and Atlantis were caught red handed. I confronted the Atlantis' Marriott Liaison agent and provided the Google Cache version and she claimed to be just as shocked as I was and profusely stated this is just a coincidence and there is no way that Atlantis changed the T&C this fast just because I brought it to there attention. She assured me that Marriott was not trying to pull a fast one and that the T&C had to have been updated at the same time by coincidence.

She anyways said she will reach out back to Atlantis and she will do her best to honor the original T&C and provide breakfast and/or lounge access and will get back to me in a week.

What do you guys think? Did Atlantis notice the error in T&C and try to pull a fast one to get out of honoring the Platinum benefit? Or was it really a coincidence.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:t8di4iY0u14J:https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

It's always possible that the website wasn't updated to reflect their new terms (there were many errors on the website after the merger). And after you pointed out that it was wrong, they updated it to the correct terms. You can complain all you want, and you may be justified in your complaint, but I'm sure they have text somewhere about being a limited participation property where some benefits aren't given, and that they aren't liable to mistakes...

Offline ruru1000

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 09:38:01 PM »
Not good. I’ll now be in the same situation. Although, I have a Twitter DM from SPTAssist telling me I am entitled to free breakfast there. I want to get this cleared up before we head out. Please keep me posted.

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 02:04:32 PM »
So as an update:

After I showed Marriott's liaison to Atlantis that the T&C had been changed once i showed it to Atlantis, she claimed that it must have been a coincidence, however can understand why I would be under the impression that lounge/breakfast would be included. She said she would fight for me with Atlantis as a one time courtesy.
Sure enough, a week later, she did get back to me and told me that Atlantis has agreed to give me access to the Cove Lounge for my entire stay.

During my stay, the Cove lounge is really nothing to write home about. They did there best to accomodate kosher (cream cheese, Udi's Gluten free bread, Lox, fresh fruit etc). However, even if i didnt keep kosher, I really did not think this was a good lounge compared to other hotels. They really do keep track of you coming in and out (not that it matters), and you have to ask for a drink each time you want one (as opposed to there being an area where you can just take, and there wasnt such a great selection of food and snacks.

Online S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 02:43:06 PM »

Just saw this. Insane.

There's got to be something you can do compensation wise, no?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ruru1000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 02:55:42 PM »
So as an update:

After I showed Marriott's liaison to Atlantis that the T&C had been changed once i showed it to Atlantis, she claimed that it must have been a coincidence, however can understand why I would be under the impression that lounge/breakfast would be included. She said she would fight for me with Atlantis as a one time courtesy.
Sure enough, a week later, she did get back to me and told me that Atlantis has agreed to give me access to the Cove Lounge for my entire stay.

During my stay, the Cove lounge is really nothing to write home about. They did there best to accomodate kosher (cream cheese, Udi's Gluten free bread, Lox, fresh fruit etc). However, even if i didnt keep kosher, I really did not think this was a good lounge compared to other hotels. They really do keep track of you coming in and out (not that it matters), and you have to ask for a drink each time you want one (as opposed to there being an area where you can just take, and there wasnt such a great selection of food and snacks.

Would you mind PM'ing me the contact? Thanks!

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 04:22:33 PM »
Just saw this. Insane.

There's got to be something you can do compensation wise, no?

You mean aside from them honoring the Cove lounge access?

Online S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 11:28:30 PM »
You mean aside from them honoring the Cove lounge access?
Yup. That should be a given.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 08:11:21 AM »
Yup. That should be a given.

I was lucky to even get that

Offline ludmila

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 05:23:48 PM »
Agreed, I would not ask for more.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline ruru1000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 11:10:15 AM »
Would you please provide me with the contact info???? I’m getting the run around. Thanks!