Author Topic: Argentina Master Thread  (Read 161567 times)

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
Re: Argentina Master Thread
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2012, 02:29:51 PM »
some nice resteraunts are asian - the one dan raves about,..(he's not alone at all tho)
el pesache - where unfortunately dan didn't get a great steak sandwich and rated like 2 but all the bochurim here are usually more than happy with their great and cheap steak sandwich. they also have a great offer for all you can eat 130 peso and all you can eat and drink (soft drinks only) 150 peso, tho it might've recently gone up due to inflation..
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline misterstuf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum, BA Bronze, Aegean Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, DDF not -so-n00b (anymore)
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »
I just got back from BA and I have to say that I had a few issues with Asian.
We went there our first night in town and I got the Thai Steak Salad and a Ribeye and my wife got the Chicken Spring Rolls and the Roast Beef. We both LOVED the Thai Steak Salad, and my ribeye, and the Chicken Spring rolls were very good but my wife's roast beef was a bit disappointing compared to everything else, but not bad at all. The pre-dinner shots were delicious, and the Passion Fruit smoothie was amazing, and we got a GREAT waiter who spoke perfect English and was charming and knowledgeable about the menu. We were sure we would return for another meal which we did on our last night in town. That's where the problems started. First, we got ready to order and my wife wanted the Thai steak salad which was mysteriously no longer on the menu. My wife asked if she could get it anyway, and the waitress checked, and came back and said yes. So my wife ordered the Thai Steak Salad and the Curried Indian rice dish with beef. I ordered the Pastrami Bruschetta and the Beef Premium Ribs. 5 minutes later the woman from teh front counter comes over to tell my wife that she CAN'T have the Thai Steak salad since they are trying a new menu so my wife, disappointed, orders the Asian Beef Rolls. The Pastrami Bruschetta was quite good although the "bread" underneath it had a weird soft consistency (probably from being piled under all that hot food). My wife's beef rolls were fine. The big problems started with the main course. My wife's food came and was actually good, but my ribs came and I cut into it and took a bite and they were grey, overcooked, and tough. When I called over the waitress to tell her, she sent over the woman from the front desk. I told her that the ribs were overcooked and she said that I can't order ribs rare since they have to be slow cooked all day to be tender. I told her how it was like leather and not the way ribs should be, and she asked me to order something else from the menu. I then ordered the ribeye again since it had been great the first time. 20 minutes later (while my wife was eating her food) my steak shows up and I cut into it and notice that it is RAW (it looked like a good piece of Tuna looks when cooked properly). I called my waitress over again and told her and she again got the manager who asked me how I wanted my meat cooked and I told her again. I was also thirsty again so I ordered the Passion fruit smoothie, and the waitress asked me how I wanted them to make it. I feel like they were training an entirely new staff on an entirely new menu that night and it showed. This time it only took 5 minutes to get me my steak (apparently it takes longer to make a raw steak than a cooked one) and it was finally cooked properly. My wife was sitting there having eaten most of her food VERY SLOWLY as I dug into my steak. When we paid there was no apology for the problems, and no credit on the bill (not that I needed one since I am willing to pay for food that I eat, but usually when a restaurant here does that they offer you a free dessert or an apology or something). The delay in the meal
Hopefully this was only an anomaly, but it really turned us off from wanting to eat there again. Anyone who makes it there in the mean time should let me know if the new menu is any good and if the service has improved.

In complete contrast, Al Galope gave us tasty food in a timely manner and despite their lack of English knowledge and their lack of any creativity to the dishes (it's just plates or grills of meat and whatever side or salad you order to go with it) we left there happy and full both times we went there (plus we did shabbos take otu from there for dinner and for 158 pesos we were QUITE STUFFED). Also, the meals were MUCH LESS expensive than at Asian (260 pesos for the half mixed grill and salad and kibbeh at Al Galope vs 470 pesos for 2 starters and 2 mains and drinks at Asian), so I guess you're paying for the fancy feel of Asian and not for the food itself.
The atmosphere in Al Galope reminded me so much of Ratner's in the Lower East Side (right down to the old cranky waiters in bow ties) that I was having flashbacks to the potato soup and matzo brei. Either way, I would highly recommend Al Galope (and Kokush bakery on the same block) to anyone and hopefully Asian just had an off night for us.

Oh, and the Kosher McDonald's is eh (although I DID like the McNuggets), but there is something to be said for the experience of eating a Big Mac in a mall food court. That has got to be one of VERY FEW McDonald's in the world that counts as a tourist attraction.

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »
any good sushi bars in BA?

Offline rcarentals

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2012, 11:38:02 PM »
yes definetly
across the street from kokosh is a great one.. sushi go is good too,.. but the meat is what there is to brag about.. so be ready to get "fleishig" :)
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2012, 11:26:57 PM »
I may have 5 days to kill in between BA and RIO this August.

I am trying to decide if, aside from Iguazu which I am already visiting, I should either go Easter Island Chile, or maybe (even in the winter down there) I would enjoy Patagonia or maybe something else in the region.

Another option is Machu Picchu although I am leaning towards doing that a different time.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2012, 01:18:08 AM »
How does the Shabbos food rate at the Chabad Recoleta?

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2012, 02:23:05 AM »
How does the Shabbos food rate at the Chabad Recoleta?
Being that it's free I'd say it rates 10/10..
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2012, 02:12:05 AM »
yes definetly
across the street from kokosh is a great one.. sushi go is good too,.. but the meat is what there is to brag about.. so be ready to get "fleishig" :)
do you have a name or address for the sushi place across from Kokosh? Dan scared me off from Sushi go with his writing that they twice tried to rip him off.

Also what is a good place to stock up on food like deli, bagels etc for a week in Peru?

Offline rcarentals

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »
do you have a name or address for the sushi place across from Kokosh? Dan scared me off from Sushi go with his writing that they twice tried to rip him off.

Also what is a good place to stock up on food like deli, bagels etc for a week in Peru?
its on tucuman between the main street pueyrrdon and paso.
not really sure where you would stock up on food... kokosh sounds good.. when i went to machu pichu i actually got bread from the chabad house there (i was doing merkoz shlichus).. they have a bakery in the chabad house. they sell rolls rugelach, cakes, really decent brownies, they even have a small selection of kosher stuff to buy like israeli chewing gum. we stocked up pretty well. not sure whats up with the shlich in cusco tho.. don't know if he's there all year round.. although i met him in peru lima and he's a great guy!
thats all in lima tho.

btw if you go to lima, make sure if you daven by the bet chabad to ask "the architect" for advice on what to see or what to do... he has a huge knowledge of everything peru, he's really friendly and it's definetly part of the fun!

Offline rcarentals

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2012, 09:41:18 AM »
anyone know anything about the business lounges in EZE and SCL? got a flight coming up soon and i dont want to waste my time lounge hopping. any showers in either location?
flying LAN business - oneworld.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2012, 12:59:32 PM »
anyone know anything about the business lounges in EZE and SCL? got a flight coming up soon and i dont want to waste my time lounge hopping. any showers in either location?
flying LAN business - oneworld.
do not know about SCL but the lounges in EZE I hear are not that great.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
AA lounge in EZE was the worst I've ever been to.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2012, 12:18:06 AM »
What's the method of choice for getting to EZE from Buenos Aires? Flight is Sunday at 8 am.

Offline Shvitzer

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »
Just bought tickets for me a wife to BA I am reading about Igaucu falls I would like to go see it
What would it cost me to get to Igaucu falls from Buenos Aires? and what is the best way to get there train\air?

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2012, 02:56:12 PM »

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »
Anyone here make it to Bariloche?

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »
Anyone here make it to Bariloche?
+1 Beautifull place

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2012, 09:24:20 AM »
+1 Beautifull place

Kosher food? The Chabad there has a hebrew website but can't find any info in English

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »
Been there a few years ago, I think the Chabad house changed rabbis but IIANM they have a restaurant. Of course you can always stay at llau llau, they have glat kosher IIRC.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech