Author Topic: Argentina Master Thread  (Read 161985 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Argentina Master Thread
« Reply #360 on: July 22, 2014, 05:13:37 PM »
Fine for shabbos.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline @jack123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 22, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »
thanks for everyones help, gunnu assume its fine. any personal experiences which chabad was good/the best for a friday night meal?

Offline @jack123

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 23, 2014, 09:52:38 PM »
any personal experiences which chabad was good/the best for a friday night meal?

anyone? trying to make plans if I'm gunnu stay that PH for shabbos nachamu, where would be good to go friday night, and where to daven shabbos day if I don't mind walking a little further.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 23, 2014, 11:15:39 PM »
anyone? trying to make plans if I'm gunnu stay that PH for shabbos nachamu, where would be good to go friday night, and where to daven shabbos day if I don't mind walking a little further.
Chabad is not far from the PH, maybe a 10 minute walk. Maybe get takeout for meals? I don't know anything about Chabad of Recoleta's meals.

Offline @jack123

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 24, 2014, 11:59:07 PM »
thanks. wheres a good place to get takeout from?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 25, 2014, 12:00:54 AM »
Sukat David has good takeout according to Dan's TR, but I haven't eaten there myself.

Offline DXD

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 25, 2014, 12:03:04 AM »
Chabad is not far from the PH, maybe a 10 minute walk. Maybe get takeout for meals? I don't know anything about Chabad of Recoleta's meals.

We had a great experience using Chabad of Recoleta's shabbos hospitality. Obviously we made a donation to the shul - but it was a very nice community!

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 25, 2014, 01:25:52 AM »

Mcdonalds is great for takeout, and can't beat the price.

Offline @jack123

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 28, 2014, 10:14:42 AM »
I'm about to contact the PH in BA to (hopefully) arrange kosher breakfast hyatt diamond. is there a particular contact/ email address people have used successfully or should i just start with the regular hotel email? thanks!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 28, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »
I'm about to contact the PH in BA to (hopefully) arrange kosher breakfast hyatt diamond. is there a particular contact/ email address people have used successfully or should i just start with the regular hotel email? thanks!
I don't have anyone's email in particular but the people I contacted said they do not provide free kosher breakfast anymore.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #370 on: July 28, 2014, 11:10:37 AM »
I don't have anyone's email in particular but the people I contacted said they do not provide free kosher breakfast anymore.
Correct.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline @jack123

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 28, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »
shoot. thats annoying. maybe ill try once anyway. either way i assume they have some fruit at the regular breakfast i could probably just have?  anyone know if its like north american hotels - like will i see other packaged kosher foods (like yogurts or antyhings like that) as part of whatever breakfast you get as a diamond?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 28, 2014, 12:38:56 PM »
shoot. thats annoying. maybe ill try once anyway. either way i assume they have some fruit at the regular breakfast i could probably just have?  anyone know if its like north american hotels - like will i see other packaged kosher foods (like yogurts or antyhings like that) as part of whatever breakfast you get as a diamond?
They allow you to eat breakfast if their restaurant for free. There's no breakfast buffet. Room service is not included, just in the restaurant. I didn't feel comfortable eating in there and just getting fruit, so we just bought stuff from the bakeries and had breakfast in our room.

Offline @jack123

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 28, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
just curious, when they did have kosher, where did they get it from and did they just serve it to you in restaurant?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 28, 2014, 12:58:47 PM »
just curious, when they did have kosher, where did they get it from and did they just serve it to you in restaurant?
According to Dan's TR, they served it in-room. They didn't have it available when I was there last November.

Offline @jack123

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: July 28, 2014, 01:17:40 PM »
OK thanks I guess I'll see what happens.

I know airport transportation and money changing have been mentioned here but I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing- whats the best way to get from AEP to the PH, and get cash to pay for it? (someone mentioned arrange through hotel and then settle in cash, but I wasn't sure how to get that cash...)
I will be getting in on a friday morning so would like to be able to go to hotel and drop stuff, and then try to do some short activity/ tourist thing (suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!) and also get some food for shabbos.

Offline @jack123

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 29, 2014, 10:08:29 AM »

Two suggestions. Try to pay the driver in US cash, lots of them are eager to give you a great rate, look for the $25-30 range. If that doesn't work you could switch in the airport on the regular rate, without the heavy airport surcharges. The place to change money is after you exit the customs area, but before you come to the arrivals area, the room in between.

Is that 25-30 from eze or aep (going to Hyatt)? Also that money change place - eze or aep?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 29, 2014, 10:51:55 AM »
Is that 25-30 from eze or aep (going to Hyatt)? Also that money change place - eze or aep?
EZE is about 250 pesos from the PH while AEP is closer to 40 pesos. You can change money at both airports, but there's a bank at EZE that will give you a better rate than a Travelex type place. I just paid with CC for the EZE-PH ride and changed money in Once once there.

Offline @jack123

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 29, 2014, 12:20:02 PM »
thanks- thats much better than the $50 USD rate hyatt had told me about to arrange with a service they had. those rates are for cabs you pick up at airport or arrange in advance? also in once most regular stores will change or are there specific places I should go to?

sorry for all the questions just wanna be as prepared as know as much as possible going in, hoping that will at least somewhat offset the fact that i dont speak their language at all...

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 29, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »
thanks- thats much better than the $50 USD rate hyatt had told me about to arrange with a service they had. those rates are for cabs you pick up at airport or arrange in advance? also in once most regular stores will change or are there specific places I should go to?

sorry for all the questions just wanna be as prepared as know as much as possible going in, hoping that will at least somewhat offset the fact that i dont speak their language at all...
The PH's rates are higher than what you can get at either airport.

You can just get any old yellow and black cab at the airport. Be aware that the driver will probably not speak English, so be prepared to speak in Spanish.  You can probably go to a booth in the airport to arrange a cab there, but I never landed at AEP (just left from there), so I don't know for sure.  No need to arrange anything before you get there.

In Once most stores will not change money. People in shul might; some store might, but there's nowhere specific. I went to this fabric place I spoke about either in my TR or upthread.  Calle Florida (while not Jewish) is the standard place to get a good rate).

I completely understand your questions, as I went through the same thing before I went. It's really nothing to worry about. I'm fluent in Spanish, so that was one less thing to worry about. You really should learn some key question words and numbers so you have some idea of what they're saying. Unlike many countries, they really don't speak English outside of the hotels and restaurants. Even most Jews don't speak anything besides Spanish. Best of luck!