Author Topic: Argentina Master Thread  (Read 159689 times)

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Argentina Master Thread
« Reply #760 on: January 08, 2020, 08:10:16 AM »
Why specifically Punta Arenas and not Ushuaia?

You bring up an interesting point. I could go to the Perito Moreno area (which is not as hard to get to from Iguazu Falls) and we could go to the Marble Caves which is on the bucket list of one of my travel companions but not really close to Punta Arenas. I'm going to give this some more thought.

Patagonia near Punta Arenas is "nicer" than Ushuaia.

I think this is definitely true.

Offline YYZOGG

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 08, 2020, 10:11:15 AM »
You bring up an interesting point. I could go to the Perito Moreno area (which is not as hard to get to from Iguazu Falls) and we could go to the Marble Caves which is on the bucket list of one of my travel companions but not really close to Punta Arenas. I'm going to give this some more thought.

I think this is definitely true.

How is it easy to get to Perito Moreno from Falls?   Seems to be alot easier to get there from Ushuaia assuming your flying into FTE ?

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 08, 2020, 07:26:24 PM »
How is it easy to get to Perito Moreno from Falls?   Seems to be alot easier to get there from Ushuaia assuming your flying into FTE ?

The glacier or the town? Glacier is close enough to FTE.

Of course,  I put the wrong one in for the marble caves....not close to FTE at all.

Offline shmebeble

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 08, 2020, 08:57:38 PM »
The glacier or the town? Glacier is close enough to FTE.

Of course,  I put the wrong one in for the marble caves....not close to FTE at all.
From The falls to FTE requires 2 flights, and from the FTE airport right to the glacier is about 1-1.5 hours.
If you head to the glacier consider trekking (which requires you to be in town by 8:30am) or kayaking near the glaciers. There is a boat every 1-2 hours in the summer that goes to one part of the glacier, but I didnt find the boat ride particularly spectacular.

Offline YYZOGG

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 08, 2020, 10:41:53 PM »
Ushuaia : Want to take a boat ride on the Beagle channel and get close/walk with the penguins. Anyone know if there is a way we can do this without doing one of those 4 -6 hour tours together with a whole group ?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 11:23:50 PM by YYZOGG »

Offline YYZOGG

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: February 02, 2020, 04:07:27 PM »
The answer to this is : The only way to walk with Penguins is booking a full 6 - 8 hour tour.  Any agency that sells this tour buys it from one company that has the rights to the island. I believe only 40 people can do this tour each day as its Government controlled as not to disturb the Penguins.  The company is called Pira Tours and the email is info@piratour.net . I recommend booking directly for a number of reasons.

#1 Will be the cheapest
#2 If you book with another agency , they can cancel you last minute even if you pay! (will refund)

Do not mistakenly book a boat ride that lets you see the penguins from the boat. Make sure to book "Walk with the penguins"  This was one of the most awesome travel experiences we have done with the children and they have been all over the map!

Offline YYZOGG

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 02, 2020, 04:16:40 PM »
In the end we canceled the PH and stayed in The Alvear Palace as they accommodated every request i asked for before we arrived including a discount and an upgrade to a descent size suite . The hotel felt like a Palace, stunning and service was better then any st regis i have visited. The walk was around 8 minutes to chabad of Recoleta, They have Shabbat locks, and the walk to Chabad Friday night meal is 60 seconds from hotel.  As Dan mentioned before This was the best chabad food we have experienced!

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 22, 2022, 06:44:52 AM »
Just found out I need to travel to BA at the end of March for business. I will comb the thread for restaurant/food ideas - but this will likely be a mini conference where we're not leaving the hotel, so I would likely need food for the week to be delivered. (Unfortuantely, I am the only Frum person in this conference, so I am essentially ordering food for 1 person).

It's also worth noting that this thread hasn't been updated in 2 years, so if someone reading this has updated information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 22, 2022, 10:00:32 AM »
Just found out I need to travel to BA at the end of March for business. I will comb the thread for restaurant/food ideas - but this will likely be a mini conference where we're not leaving the hotel, so I would likely need food for the week to be delivered. (Unfortuantely, I am the only Frum person in this conference, so I am essentially ordering food for 1 person).

It's also worth noting that this thread hasn't been updated in 2 years, so if someone reading this has updated information, it would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck. I think it hasn't been updated in 2 years because no one has or even could go.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 02, 2022, 10:46:39 AM »
Another question:

It seems that I need a PCR Test 24 hours before my return flight. My flight is 12:30am Sunday Morning. If I get tested on Friday, would that be okay?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #770 on: March 02, 2022, 11:05:48 AM »
Another question:

It seems that I need a PCR Test 24 hours before my return flight. My flight is 12:30am Sunday Morning. If I get tested on Friday, would that be okay?
No. And you only need an antigen.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 02, 2022, 11:07:08 AM »
Antigen = the rapid/at home test? do I need it in a lab, or just take the antigen result to the airport?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #772 on: March 02, 2022, 11:07:53 AM »
Antigen = the rapid/at home test? do I need it in a lab, or just take the antigen result to the airport?
Lab or telehealth like emed.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 18, 2022, 09:50:23 AM »
I am planning on bringing some non-perishable items in my suitcase to Argentina - i.e. Peanut Butter and Jelly, maybe some beef jerky, etc. Does anyone know if I have to worry about them being confiscated by customs?

Also, any chance that the Test requirement is lifted before April 10th?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 18, 2022, 09:52:03 AM »
I am planning on bringing some non-perishable items in my suitcase to Argentina - i.e. Peanut Butter and Jelly, maybe some beef jerky, etc. Does anyone know if I have to worry about them being confiscated by customs?

They didn't care about bringing food in when I've gone.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 18, 2022, 10:13:22 AM »

Why don't you just buy stuff in BsAs? There's loads of kosher food there (unless you're not going to BaAs...).

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 24, 2022, 01:08:34 PM »
They didn't care about bringing food in when I've gone.
Thanks Dan - what about utensils in checked luggage - i.e. knives/forks.

Why don't you just buy stuff in BsAs? There's loads of kosher food there (unless you're not going to BaAs...).

Not going to BsAs - Long Story short - many of my work colleagues, and my boss live in Cordoba. We're having a team retreat in Villa General Belgrano. I am ordering some stuff to my boss' house from eKosher in BsAs - they will deliver and he will freeze.

I am also bringing some basic stuff from the US with me - PB&J, energy bars, some other stuff.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 24, 2022, 01:09:03 PM »
No issues anywhere in the world.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 24, 2022, 02:02:37 PM »

Not going to BsAs - Long Story short - many of my work colleagues, and my boss live in Cordoba. We're having a team retreat in Villa General Belgrano. I am ordering some stuff to my boss' house from eKosher in BsAs - they will deliver and he will freeze.

I am also bringing some basic stuff from the US with me - PB&J, energy bars, some other stuff.
Ah ok, but at least you're ordering from BaAs. Make sure you order some chalav Yisrael dulce de leche while you're at it. The stuff is amazing and a good gift to bring home.

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 14, 2022, 02:50:12 AM »
I’ve got 7 hours in BA
I’ve booked a 75 minute private tour of La Boca and then I will be going by myself to check out San Telmo market.
I think that should be enough time.
As far as food is concerned, is McDonald’s a must?
Are their fries the same as any fries or do they have the famous Golden Fries?