Author Topic: Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks  (Read 123984 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park
« Reply #260 on: June 19, 2020, 11:16:18 AM »
I know this sounds sacrilegious on DDF, but I think for Yellowstone it's worth just staying in the park for 1-2 nights, especially if your time in the park is limited. (Even in the park some places aren't great locations, so do research)

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 19, 2020, 11:56:33 AM »
I know this sounds sacrilegious on DDF, but I think for Yellowstone it's worth just staying in the park for 1-2 nights, especially if your time in the park is limited. (Even in the park some places aren't great locations, so do research)
+

It's not like the options in West Yellowstone are that much better.   

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 19, 2020, 02:34:00 PM »
+

It's not like the options in West Yellowstone are that much better.   
And prices aren't that much lower. There's only one points option in west Yellowstone, and it fills up fast

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #263 on: June 19, 2020, 03:06:03 PM »

Yellowstone lodges are all closed right now. Only option in the park would be your RV or ⛺️...

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 19, 2020, 03:11:17 PM »
And prices aren't that much lower. There's only one points option in west Yellowstone, and it fills up fast
There's actually 2 with the Days inn..

Offline israbear89

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 22, 2020, 12:58:31 PM »
Yellowstone lodges are all closed right now. Only option in the park would be your RV or ⛺️...

Not true. They're open... availability is a diff story

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 24, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
I am planning on going to Yellowstone this summer and have a few questions. Tentatively I am planning Sun morning thru Thu afternoon.

1) Are there any shabbos options anywhere in the vicinity? (traveler718 commented about a Chabad that is currently closed).

2) It doesn't seem that I would be able to make it back on time for shabbos leaving any later than Thursday afternoon. Any Ideas?

3) I was considering flying into FCA and spending Sunday and Monday at Glacier and the heading to yellowstone Mon evening and spending Tue Wed in yellowstone and Flying back Thu from JAC (maybe stop in Teton on Thursday). Am I trying to do too much? Should I just do Yellowstone? I'm not the type that needs to see every sight in the parks.

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 24, 2020, 12:02:24 PM »
1) Are there any shabbos options anywhere in the vicinity? (traveler718 commented about a Chabad that is currently closed).

Maybe look into chabad of bozeman montana.
That might also warrant a switch in direction, meaning starting in teton and ending in montana
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 24, 2020, 12:05:56 PM »

I am planning on going to Yellowstone this summer and have a few questions. Tentatively I am planning Sun morning thru Thu afternoon.

2) It doesn't seem that I would be able to make it back on time for shabbos leaving any later than Thursday afternoon. Any Ideas?

3) I was considering flying into FCA and spending Sunday and Monday at Glacier and the heading to yellowstone Mon evening and spending Tue Wed in yellowstone and Flying back Thu from JAC (maybe stop in Teton on Thursday). Am I trying to do too much? Should I just do Yellowstone? I'm not the type that needs to see every sight in the parks.

1. Boseman MT. It's around 1.5 hrs from the northern gate. I'm not sure how they are functioning now.

2. Travel to SLC...it's a 5 hr drive though..

3. Everyone has a different pace. You definitely can do it, with skipping some attractions.

Offline JunkYardUnz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 24, 2020, 12:07:20 PM »

Did you look into flying in and out of BZN? Rental car will be cheaper if you return to the same location as pickup.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 24, 2020, 12:24:09 PM »
Did you look into flying in and out of BZN? Rental car will be cheaper if you return to the same location as pickup.
Highly recommend Autoslash for any one way rentals.

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 24, 2020, 12:25:27 PM »

You can also play around with different locations as the pickup and drop off that will have wildly different prices for each direction.
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 25, 2020, 12:19:25 AM »
I settled on flying into FCA Sun morning and flying out of JAC Thursday afternoon. Flying into Bozeman would have made doing Glacier not practical. Car rentals are very expensive at FCA so I'll see what I can find.

I plan on staying Sun night in Kalispell Mon night somewhere between Glacier and Yellowstone (possibly Helena or Bozeman) Tues and Wed nights in the Yellowstone area. I found Tue night at the Holiday Inn west Yellowstone with points but Wed wasn't available with points.

Any input about what sights I should make sure to see, about the car rental and about where to stay would be greatly appreciated.

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 25, 2020, 01:03:56 AM »
I settled on flying into FCA Sun morning and flying out of JAC Thursday afternoon. Flying into Bozeman would have made doing Glacier not practical. Car rentals are very expensive at FCA so I'll see what I can find.

I plan on staying Sun night in Kalispell Mon night somewhere between Glacier and Yellowstone (possibly Helena or Bozeman) Tues and Wed nights in the Yellowstone area. I found Tue night at the Holiday Inn west Yellowstone with points but Wed wasn't available with points.

Any input about what sights I should make sure to see, about the car rental and about where to stay would be greatly appreciated.
Try making it to the residence inn in Big Sky Montana for the first night.

There is a new Spring Hill suites in west Yellowstone. You can try applying a SNA.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2020, 08:32:56 AM »
Not sure when you're going, but with such an aggressive itinerary, the option to spend Shabbos there and have more time on the ground would be extremely beneficial. Even if a Chabad is "closed," that just means that they may not be available to host you for meals as in normal years, but many of them will still gladly help you in any way they can, such as providing Shabbos meals that you can eat at your own place (for payment).

If your flights aren't yet set in stone, I'd reach out to Chabad of Jackson, Kalispell, Missoula, and Bozeman with your planned travel dates and what help you're looking for, and hopefully one of them can provide it so that you don't have to be so rushed during your time there.

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2020, 08:59:59 AM »

Chabad of Jackson is not closed, but you need to subscribe as he will be operating very limited. Also, from August 9'th it will be closed.

I am also planning a trip, landing in SLC, staying in park city for 3 days, then driving to JAC staying for a few days and flying out of JAC.

With the rising numbers of Covid in Utah and WY my trip is on standby.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 25, 2020, 10:25:00 AM »

With the rising numbers of Covid in Utah and WY my trip is on standby.
Due to being concerned of closures or personal safety?

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 25, 2020, 11:01:17 AM »
Due to being concerned of closures or personal safety?
Closures or extreme limiting of attractions.

I am planning to go with my 3 kids and a big part of my itinerary is the adventure parks.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 25, 2020, 11:11:01 AM »
Closures or extreme limiting of attractions.

I am planning to go with my 3 kids and a big part of my itinerary is the adventure parks.
Not sure which adventure parks you are referring to. But I've done similar road trips in the past, and i agree with @Traveler718 that you need more time. I would probably stick to Yellowstone and Grand Teton, there is enough there to keep you busy for a week.