Author Topic: Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks  (Read 124025 times)

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park
« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2020, 11:17:32 AM »
Not sure which adventure parks you are referring to. But I've done similar road trips in the past, and i agree with @Traveler718 that you need more time. I would probably stick to Yellowstone and Grand Teton, there is enough there to keep you busy for a week.
I am planning to be in Park City for 3 days. JAC/Grand Teton for 6 days. Not enough?

Online Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2020, 11:21:21 AM »
I am planning to be in Park City for 3 days. JAC/Grand Teton for 6 days. Not enough?
I apologize, confused your itinerary with Ari3

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 25, 2020, 01:19:29 PM »
Definitely

Online SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 26, 2020, 09:00:37 AM »
Chabad of Jackson, Kalispell, Missoula, and Bozeman
Nice.  When we were in GLAC, YELL, and GRTE almost two decades ago, there wasn't a single Chabad in all of MT, ID, and WY.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 26, 2020, 01:16:22 PM »
Nice.  When we were in GLAC, YELL, and GRTE almost two decades ago, there wasn't a single Chabad in all of MT, ID, and WY.

Yes, Chabad has really expanded in the area. I was one of the early guests of Chabad of Jackson around 10 years ago, and I believe Bozeman also opened around that time. I've been to Glacier NP 3 times (2010, 2012, and 2015), but don't recall the Kalispell or Missoula locations being open at that time. There is a Chabad in Idaho, but it sounds like they're pretty shut down for the summer, which is why I suggested the other locations.

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
Re: Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks
« Reply #285 on: June 28, 2020, 10:15:23 PM »
Important PSA regarding Glacier NP: The Blackfeet Indian tribe just voted to deny access to most of the roads that surround Glacier NP, due to their concerns about park visitors bringing Covid into their territory. As a practical matter although the national park is open, the entire east side of the park will be effectively closed for this year.

There will be no way to access Many Glacier, Two Medicine, or even the St. Mary's east entrance to Going-to-the-Sun Road. Lodging will be unavailable on that side of the park. That means the only access to the "heart" of the park will be by entering GTTSR from the west side, driving in as far as you want to go, then doubling back to exit the way you came in.

With park shuttle service already closed for this season due to Covid, I cannot overestimate how much pain this will inflict on an attempt to have an even remotely normal visit to Glacier NP this summer. Parking will be impossible to come by unless you are willing to be in line to enter the park by 6 am. Traffic delays in both directions will be beyond painful, and for all this, you won't even be able to see the best part of the park in Many Glacier.

This was a decision that caught everyone by surprise, as the expectation was that the Blackfeet would reduce or completely end the restrictions on July 1. I am still waiting to see how the NPS will respond to this new development, but as things look now, I would strongly advise not visiting Glacier NP this summer (and I am personally planning to cancel my reservations there if nothing changes in the next couple of weeks).

More details here:
https://flatheadbeacon.com/2020/06/25/blackfeet-tribe-closes-eastern-border-glacier-park/
https://montanafreepress.org/2020/06/26/as-covid-spikes-blackfeet-leaders-close-eastern-entrances-to-glacier-for-summer/

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 29, 2020, 12:09:35 AM »
Important PSA regarding Glacier NP: The Blackfeet Indian tribe just voted to deny access to most of the roads that surround Glacier NP, due to their concerns about park visitors bringing Covid into their territory. As a practical matter although the national park is open, the entire east side of the park will be effectively closed for this year.

There will be no way to access Many Glacier, Two Medicine, or even the St. Mary's east entrance to Going-to-the-Sun Road. Lodging will be unavailable on that side of the park. That means the only access to the "heart" of the park will be by entering GTTSR from the west side, driving in as far as you want to go, then doubling back to exit the way you came in.

With park shuttle service already closed for this season due to Covid, I cannot overestimate how much pain this will inflict on an attempt to have an even remotely normal visit to Glacier NP this summer. Parking will be impossible to come by unless you are willing to be in line to enter the park by 6 am. Traffic delays in both directions will be beyond painful, and for all this, you won't even be able to see the best part of the park in Many Glacier.

This was a decision that caught everyone by surprise, as the expectation was that the Blackfeet would reduce or completely end the restrictions on July 1. I am still waiting to see how the NPS will respond to this new development, but as things look now, I would strongly advise not visiting Glacier NP this summer (and I am personally planning to cancel my reservations there if nothing changes in the next couple of weeks).

More details here:
https://flatheadbeacon.com/2020/06/25/blackfeet-tribe-closes-eastern-border-glacier-park/
https://montanafreepress.org/2020/06/26/as-covid-spikes-blackfeet-leaders-close-eastern-entrances-to-glacier-for-summer/
Very disappointing. I just heard about this tonight from a relative and I have to decide what to do with my plans. I already booked tickets to fly into FCA but I can change that.

As far as the NPS response in the article here
they quote
"Park spokeswoman Gina Kerzman said the park has no plans to contest the decision."

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 29, 2020, 10:46:28 AM »
Yes, I realize the official party line from the NPS will be to respect the tribe's decision, so no surprise there. But knowing the ramifications of it, I have to wonder (and hope!) if they're working behind the scenes to try to come up with some sort of reasonable compromise that could allow guest access while still letting the Blackfeet feel safe - though even if they do, it will likely involve severe limiting on the #s of visitors allowed, which will still require getting up crazy early to make the cut.

Peak tourist season is just starting there, so I'm giving it 2 weeks to see if anything moves. Otherwise I don't see it as being worth all the nightmare traffic and restrictions this year.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 29, 2020, 10:04:08 PM »
Yes, I realize the official party line from the NPS will be to respect the tribe's decision, so no surprise there. But knowing the ramifications of it, I have to wonder (and hope!) if they're working behind the scenes to try to come up with some sort of reasonable compromise that could allow guest access while still letting the Blackfeet feel safe - though even if they do, it will likely involve severe limiting on the #s of visitors allowed, which will still require getting up crazy early to make the cut.

Peak tourist season is just starting there, so I'm giving it 2 weeks to see if anything moves. Otherwise I don't see it as being worth all the nightmare traffic and restrictions this year.
Iv'e never been there but why can't they just let people drive thru for access but keep all the concessions outside the park closed and not let people do anything outside the park?

Online SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 29, 2020, 10:37:39 PM »
Iv'e never been there but why can't they just let people drive thru for access but keep all the concessions outside the park closed and not let people do anything outside the park?
Because it's a lot easier to say no than enforce restrictions. They don't owe it to us to give us what we want. It's their land, they don't want, and it's about time we respect their no.  Additionally, it's more likely they'll regret access than regret disallowing access.
44/50, 46/63

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #290 on: June 29, 2020, 10:48:59 PM »

I wonder... Of all the places I drove through a few weeks ago, the only places I saw masks were NPS facilities and concessions, and Indian reservations. I'm not sure how the Blackfeet situation compares with the Sioux, but driving through the latter's reservation it was clear that they were pretty much in panic/extreme measure mode.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 30, 2020, 10:23:29 AM »
The articles I read mentioned that they particularly revere their elders, and they are terrified of losing them due to a virus that they've heard can be particularly deadly to older people.

I also recall my interactions with the Havasupai tribe in Arizona (Havasu Falls is on their property) and found them remarkably set in their ways. They had absolutely no interest in my suggestions of how they could "improve" their revenues and tourist industry, explaining that they were quite content to continue doing what they've always been doing, with no interest in increasing their interactions with us (kinda like chassidim? :).

I remember schmoozing with the (white) woman at the USPS branch there, who told me that it's the most maddening job she's ever had, and she was desperately trying to get reassigned before she lost her mind. So it doesn't shock me that the Blackfeet's reaction to all this would be to slam the door shut in the interest of self-preservation.

What I'll be watching for is the response of the park superintendent, who may be under pressure from a large number of local business owners whose entire annual revenue will go up in smoke if nothing is done.

Online Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 30, 2020, 10:32:50 AM »
I wonder... Of all the places I drove through a few weeks ago, the only places I saw masks were NPS facilities and concessions, and Indian reservations. I'm not sure how the Blackfeet situation compares with the Sioux, but driving through the latter's reservation it was clear that they were pretty much in panic/extreme measure mode.
+1
In SD, the only place we saw and were required to wear masks was at Crazy Horse Memorial, similarly on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in NE.

Online BCL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 06, 2020, 12:05:40 PM »
Planning to visit from Monday - Thursday. Staying in Island Park, ID (30 min from West entrance). With 4 kids age 7-12.

Monday - Geysers  How to do this? Which ones? Is a full day too much? 
Tuesday - "Grand Canyon" & Hayden Valley
Wednesday - Which would you recommend????  (Mammoth, West Thumb/Yellowstone Lake, Lamar Valley)
Thursday - Grand Teton What to do here? Jenny Lake hike?(planning on driving halfway to Vegas after)

Besides for sightseeing, what activities would you recommend?
Uncle Tom's Trail
Fairy Falls Trail
Rafting or boating
Anything else??

Please share any thoughts.
Thanks!!

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #294 on: July 06, 2020, 12:23:42 PM »
Monday - Geysers

Don't focus on an activity, focus on an area.

Also, last I checked, Uncle Tom's was closed. You might want to check the official site for an update.

Edit: confirmed, still closed.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:35:28 PM by Something Fishy »

Offline JunkYardUnz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks
« Reply #295 on: July 06, 2020, 12:23:52 PM »
Planning to visit from Monday - Thursday. Staying in Island Park, ID (30 min from West entrance). With 4 kids age 7-12.

Monday - Geysers  How to do this? Which ones? Is a full day too much? 
Tuesday - "Grand Canyon" & Hayden Valley
Wednesday - Which would you recommend????  (Mammoth, West Thumb/Yellowstone Lake, Lamar Valley)
Thursday - Grand Teton What to do here? Jenny Lake hike?(planning on driving halfway to Vegas after)

Besides for sightseeing, what activities would you recommend?
Uncle Tom's Trail
Fairy Falls Trail
Rafting or boating
Anything else??

Please share any thoughts.
Thanks!!
I would plan a bit different, divide the parks into sections and then take it in strolls. For example, there is a hike they call the Niagara of the West (or something like that) which is the same falls as in the Uncle Toms Trail falls , albeit a different view, which was fun hike. Then there is the Grand Prismatic and the Boiling Mud Pot and a bunch of other random holes that steams is billowing out from which I found very interesting. There was some insane winding road near a lake that we pulled over and all went swimming for an hour or so. Or there is place where the hot and cold waters meet... (there were lot of women there so I was unable to join my kids in the fun).

In terms of the geysers, Old Faithful is the best as it’s the most predictable, you don’t want to sit for hours waiting for something to erupt.

There are a bunch or ranger talks that kids of that age will love, they give out activity books that will keep the kids busy as well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:56:12 PM by JunkYardUnz »

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 06, 2020, 12:32:41 PM »
Because it's a lot easier to say no than enforce restrictions. They don't owe it to us to give us what we want. It's their land, they don't want, and it's about time we respect their no.  Additionally, it's more likely they'll regret access than regret disallowing access.

What if we agree to keep to the highway and if we drink their water, either us or our cattle, we will pay its price?

Online yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 06, 2020, 12:50:53 PM »
What if we agree to keep to the highway and if we drink their water, either us or our cattle, we will pay its price?
They are red....

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2020, 07:48:53 PM »
If anyone's going to Grand Teton and can do me a small favor, please PM. Much appreciated.

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 07, 2020, 08:51:29 PM »
If anyone's going to Grand Teton and can do me a small favor, please PM. Much appreciated.
time sensitive? I'm planning to go in August