Author Topic: Air Berlin Joining OneWorld  (Read 9763 times)

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Air Berlin Joining OneWorld
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 12:27:48 AM »
I don't know what an overwater bungalow is but check out the 1 bedroom beach villa, that is where I am right now.

http://www.fourseasons.com/langkawi/

Oh, I think I know what you mean by overwater bungalow, like the Sheraton in MLE? This is close enough with a white sandy private beach right outside my back door, a pool in the villa, and many other amenities.

what a difference a couple of Generations makes, in my days when learning in Yeru a Kollel guy would take his wife to the Galli Zanz in Netanya if they had any $$ or the Ariston in Teveria

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 12:28:50 AM »
Definitely don't daven with tefilin in AMM.
Did it in DXB. ;D

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 12:29:57 AM »
what a difference a couple of Generations makes, in my days when learning in Yeru a Kollel guy would take his wife to the Galli Zanz in Netanya if they had any $$ or the Ariston in Teveria
In your days DD didn't exist ;)

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 12:30:25 AM »
I've read FT stories about problems in Jordan with talis/tefilin and stuff.  Do you need to clear customs in AMM?
Definitely don't daven with tefilin in AMM.

well it all depends on what time a person will get into TLV, if you wont get in till nighttime its either AMM or the plane, dont know if any LOR will tell you OK since you are flying RJ and wont get in till after sunset you dont have to put on Tefillin. I can hear them saying so then dont fly RJ

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 12:36:19 AM »
what a difference a couple of Generations makes,
A couple of generations? What are you 100 years old?
in my days when learning in Yeru a Kollel guy would take his wife to the Galli Zanz in Netanya if they had any $$ or the Ariston in Teveria
But what if I'm paying the same amount for my vacation that they paid for theirs? Lol...
-Eli

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »
In your days DD didn't exist ;)

no in my days there were few PHDs around and people didnt simply marry based solely on that and they actually struggled to make ends meet and forget about flying or going to  a hotel they didnt even go out to eat in Yeru. If they were in Kollel thats where you found them no such thing as time off from learning and running around as is done today by the new Gen.

If they went to a hotel it wasnt for 2 weeks but more like a night or 2 max, they couldnt afford more then that. They were a few that could but they simply told everyone they were heading to the US for a family simcha so as not to have the others feel bad that they couldnt afford to do likewise and run to Europe or wherever. and tkts cost less $$ back then

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 12:37:41 AM »
Times have changed my friend, but thanks for sharing how lame the newlyweds were back then. We all got a good laugh.
-Eli

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 12:38:36 AM »
Times have changed my friend, but thanks for sharing how lame the newlyweds were back then. We all got a good laugh.

more like how Spoiled they are Today and how Immature they are as well

actually my 1st move to Israel was back in 8/73 just before the war broke out and no I ddint RUN to Europe or the US I stayed put in Israel through it all, and yes I thought it was amatter of days before we were to be over runned. why do I have the feeling if it was to be repeated then most Americans would pay whatever they could to get out ASAP as many did during the Gulf war and when Hezbollah started up

But this is all OT to AB
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:51:52 AM by steve2 »

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 12:40:15 AM »
more like how Spoiled they are Today and how Immature they are as well
What's immature about enjoying life?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 12:47:06 AM »
What's immature about enjoying life?

actually you can be Mature and enjoy Life, only most of the 20 & 30 somethings today have no idea what Life is really about, nor have to worry about paying their bills , its simply use the CC and let ones father or Father-in-law worry about paying it off.

thats why alot of Israelis both Frum and not dont like the Americans so much, since they know most are there simply to have a party for a few yrs while they struggle on a day to day basis wondering how the heck are they ever gonna pay the Molcholet bill or any bill, and all the Americans will do is call up Daddy and tell them to increase the CL on the CCs

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 12:56:56 AM »
You're just jealous. That's the bottom line.
-Eli

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 01:02:17 AM »
Maybe true, but I do agree with steve2 about the general spending of some Americans while spending their time in Israel.
I just think that one doesn't have to do with the other.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »

Not at all, I pay my own way and B"H for me that isnt a problem, nothing for me to be jealous over. Except a few people I know who are worth well in excess of 100m and  are self made and every night you can find them learning for a few hrs in some BM, who have a few people on payroll whose job it is to give out their Zedaka $$$ and make sure its going to those who really need it. that my Friend is worthy to be JEALOUS about! and not that someone scored a FC tkt on SQ or a good deal on a great hotel!

and when a question arises in their Biz and they dont know how it relates to the Halacha they call their Rebbe and ask, 1 calls Reb Dovid Feinstein and I know where they walked away from some deals where they could have made a very quick Big Buck simply since it wasnt so pushit according to Halacha , that is worthy of being Jealous over. Not what the person has ($$ wise) but the way they Live their Lives! and the Prioritys in their lives!

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 01:43:49 AM »
Not what the person has ($$ wise) but the way they Live their Lives! and the Prioritys in their lives!

Gut gezukt!
-Eli

Offline chuchem

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 04:09:26 AM »
Hi steve2
i dont want to write a long reply, but in alot of posts one can see that you dont like our generation today. I dont know if it is the reason eli said or something else.
Fact is, while some guys are as you say, i can tell you, alot are not. In your generation it was not easy to earn money, especially if in kollel in jerusalem. So yes, ariston was the place to be!
Today, if you have a little seichel and internet, you can make some quick money on a good deal. So we use that money for some extras, that you were not able to afford. All i can tell you, i know eli and some other guys. Our parents never paid for this stuff, we earned it.
So steve, please " verginn " as our trips!

Offline chuchem

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2010, 04:18:49 AM »
On a sidenote. During the second war with iraq most american guys in my yeshiva wanted to stay, but parents in your generation made them come home!

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2010, 07:35:15 AM »
On a sidenote. During the second war with iraq most american guys in my yeshiva wanted to stay, but parents in your generation made them come home!

True , while others explained why they werent able to do so 9the kids taht is)

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2010, 07:54:51 AM »
Hi steve2
i dont want to write a long reply, but in alot of posts one can see that you dont like our generation today. I dont know if it is the reason eli said or something else.
Fact is, while some guys are as you say, i can tell you, alot are not. In your generation it was not easy to earn money, especially if in kollel in jerusalem. So yes, ariston was the place to be!
Today, if you have a little seichel and internet, you can make some quick money on a good deal. So we use that money for some extras, that you were not able to afford. All i can tell you, i know eli and some other guys. Our parents never paid for this stuff, we earned it.
So steve, please " verginn " as our trips!

I wasnt saying a person cant do things or go places and enjoy themselves. They can and should. The question is to what extent.

The Frum community is going thru in General some very rough times and has placed onto itself by themselves some very tough standards. alot of this was due to some very good amount of years where Money was flowing extremely free into its Pockets and B"H to a very nice degree took care of those who were alot less unfortunate in that regard

Now that things have gotten very tough for alot of families and alot are not having enough coming in,in which to keep up with the min they must payment wise, IMO today is not the time to be showing off where you were able to go. So it doesnt mean Not to go places but rather to stay under the radar and not try to out do each other.

maybe its different in Yeru but having been in Lakewood the past few Shabbosim I can tell you a lot of my friends kids (married and not) were trying to out Brag each other where they going and staying. Its 1 thing to go its another to try and out do each other, and no most werent using Miles and Points

sort of like you purchased a stk at $21 and just sold it for $70 all within 6 months. It doesnt mean you cant play the stk mkt only dont go around wanting everyone to know maybe its OK if you go around and with the same gusto let everyone know you brought a stk for $90 and its now $20 but then doesnt happen does it.

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2010, 09:02:29 AM »
Now back to the FS in LGK.....

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 09:06:35 AM »
Or back to AB like this thread actually is!
-Eli