Author Topic: iPhone Vs. Galaxy  (Read 31195 times)

Offline jr611

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone Vs. Galaxy
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
nexus 4 - cheaper alternative to galaxy

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2013, 04:33:14 PM »
What's the point of a smartphone without LTE?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline jr611

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »

well if you live in Israel it doesnt really matter.
I agree though, it's ridiculous that it doesnt but a great bargain nonetheless.

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »
Apps work just fine with 3g, albeit slow. But with the amount VZW charges for a plan with LTE, you need to really think if it's worth it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
I'm paying $50 for pretty much unlimited everything :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »
I'm paying $50 for pretty much unlimited everything :)
Grandfathered?

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »
Via https://www.facebook.com/groups/dansdeals/permalink/10151893607961041/

My GS4 is not rooted.

-Can you use your phone as a free wifi hotspot?

-Can you swap out the battery on your phone with ease so that even when you are traveling you don't need to worry about losing juice? And I'm talking about bulking it up with something that won't fit in your pocket or case.

-Along the same vein my phone never has to be tethered to the wall thanks to a dedicated battery charger.

-Does your phone notify you when your orders from any website ship and when they'll get to you?

-Can you use your phone easily when wearing gloves.

-Does your phone automatically notify you of the current traffic time to any place you have searched for on your phone or computer? And how long it will take you to get back home?

-Android's Google Now versions knows what you want before you ask it.

-Does your phone screen turn off while you're reading something. The GS4 knows when you're actively looking and won't turn the screen off.

-Can your phone control your TV, DVD, and DVR? The GS4 will learn what things you like to watch, suggest things to record, and more.

-Does your phone have a pedometer built in?

-Does your phone's screen rotate when you lie on a bed or couch? The GS4 tracks your eyes so it knows which way to display.

-Can you edit photos on your phone better than you can with most computer programs?

-Can you do burst shots to take a stream of photos that is sure to capture the very best image?

-Can you swype to type without ever lifting a finger? Or use other awesome 3rd party keyboards?

-Can you do a split screen to easily use 2 apps simultaneously thanks to the large 5" screen?

-Does your phone have a stunning 1080p screen that is a pleasure to watch things on?

-Are all of Google's awesome services (Gmail, Maps, Translator, Calendar, etc.) seamlessly integrated?

-Do you have an SD slot for cheap extra storage and the ability to store apps on the SD card as well as backup files to SD? Do you even have a file manager?

-Do you have to convert video files in order to get them to work?

-Can you share contact info or files with another phones by just touching their backs together?

Can you look at a picture and instantly drop it onto Dropbox, Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, Gmail with just one touch?

-Android widgets. 'Nuff said.

The S4 does that and a whole lot more...

What does iPhone do better? Sure it's "simpler" but anything without all those features will be simpler. With 2 weeks practice you'll never look back...

Gizmodo calls half of those features gimmicks that you will never use, and the other features are great but are nitpicked or based on preferences.

I can come up with a long list of iPhone 5s and iOS features that the S4 doesn't have, but again it will just be nitpicking features, and it doesn't prove that the iPhone is better.

The iPhone has do not disturb, fingerprint security, automatic OS software updates (no year long waits to get the latest version), easier to use OS, no preloaded Samsung and carrier crapware, far better build quality, easier to grip and use the phone, more/higher quality apps, iTunes syncing, faster processor. All this is just from the top of my head.

ETA: Please don't respond that a different android phone has some of the features I listed, some people think they can tout the swappable battery of S4, the stock-iness of a nexus, the build quality of HTC One etc. Since most people hold only phone, you can really only compare them 1 on 1.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:52:25 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »
I use every single one of the features I mentioned and they are dead useful.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2013, 05:14:12 PM »
I don't use ALL the features on my Android phone (just like I wouldn't use ALL the iPhone features like the finger scanning for ex) and I'm a big fan of what iPhones are good at but if you can compare a high end Android to an iPhone the Android wins in terms of amount of features and abilities.

Also there are things that aren't necessarily promoted that your Android could do no problem. Like Syncing for instance. 

IPhones are great for some people. They make a nice product.  I recommend them to people often enough. It's just about what you want in a phone.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:33:15 PM by sky121 »
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2013, 05:24:55 PM »
I think a huge difference (and the reason my FIL will leave iPhone) is swype
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »
I think a huge difference (and the reason my FIL will leave iPhone) is swype
Google Keyboard with Swype is awesome.

Offline yossi4k

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »
Iphone 5 is so much more fluid than the s4

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2013, 05:52:07 PM »
I use every single one of the features I mentioned and they are dead useful.

Is that your post on Facebook? (Can't check). What is meaningful to you is not necessarily for others.

Here goes:
"My GS4 is not rooted.

SO I WILL RESPOND ABOUT A NON-JAILBROKEN IPHONE. SORRY FOR THE CAPS, I CAN'T BOLD MY RESPONSES.

-Can you use your phone as a free wifi hotspot?

NICE FEATURE. THOUGH IIRC IT DEPENDS ON YOUR CARRIER. COSTS MONEY TO BUY APP.

-Can you swap out the battery on your phone with ease so that even when you are traveling you don't need to worry about losing juice? And I'm talking about bulking it up with something that won't fit in your pocket or case.

GREAT FEATURE

-Along the same vein my phone never has to be tethered to the wall thanks to a dedicated battery charger.

MOST PEOPLE PROBABLY DON'T USE/CARE FOR THIS

-Does your phone notify you when your orders from any website ship and when they'll get to you?

YES. IT'S CALLED AN APP.

-Can you use your phone easily when wearing gloves.

NO. BUT I DON'T LIVE IN CLEVELAND :)

-Does your phone automatically notify you of the current traffic time to any place you have searched for on your phone or computer? And how long it will take you to get back home?

PERSONALLY, I WISH I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO TURN THIS FEATURE OFF IN GOOGLE NOW. EVEN WHEN I'M FIVE MINUTES AWAY FROM MY HOME IT'S POPPING UP NOTIFICATIONS. IT DEFINITELY DOES NOT READ MY MIND.

-Android's Google Now versions knows what you want before you ask it.

OOPS, JUST ANSWERED THAT IN MY LAST ANSWER. NOW TRIES TO BE GODLY BY PREDICTING WHAT YOU WANT, BUT IT DOESN'T GIVE YOU ANY CONFIGURATION SETTINGS TO HELP MAKE IT A LOT MORE USEFUL AND A LOT LESS ANNOYING.

-Does your phone screen turn off while you're reading something. The GS4 knows when you're actively looking and won't turn the screen off.

GOOD FEATURE, IF IT CAN WORKS AS ADVERTISED. FOR EXAMPLE, SMART PAUSE NEVER WORKED FOR ME.

-Can your phone control your TV, DVD, and DVR? The GS4 will learn what things you like to watch, suggest things to record, and more.

DON'T HAVE TV. IF I DID I WOULD PROBABLY USE THE REGULAR REMOTE ANYWAYS. GIZMODO SAYS IT DOESN'T WORK WELL.

-Does your phone have a pedometer built in?

IT HAS APPS THAT ESSENTIALLY DO THE SAME.

-Does your phone's screen rotate when you lie on a bed or couch? The GS4 tracks your eyes so it knows which way to display.

DECENT FEATURE, AGAIN, IF IT WORKS.

-Can you edit photos on your phone better than you can with most computer programs?

YES, I HAVE A DOZEN APPS THAT DO PRETTY SLICK PHOTO EDITING. AND I ALSO HAVE IMOVIE AND GARAGE BAND.

-Can you do burst shots to take a stream of photos that is sure to capture the very best image?

YES. AND MY CAMERA TAKES BETTER PICTURES.

-Can you swype to type without ever lifting a finger? Or use other awesome 3rd party keyboards?

GREAT FEATURE

-Can you do a split screen to easily use 2 apps simultaneously thanks to the large 5" screen?

NICE FEATURE. I CAN'T DO THAT, BUT I DON'T WANT A 5 INCH SCREEN ANYWAYS.

-Does your phone have a stunning 1080p screen that is a pleasure to watch things on?

MY SCREEN QUALITY IS ALSO AMAZING. I DON'T HAVE 1080P BECAUSE MY SCREEN ISN'T THAT LARGE. NOR WOULD I USE ANY PHONE TO WATCH VIDEOS (LIKE MOVIES). THE MINIMUM FOR ME IS A 10 INCH SCREEN. I'D RATHER WATCH ON A LAPTOP OR DESKTOP.

-Are all of Google's awesome services (Gmail, Maps, Translator, Calendar, etc.) seamlessly integrated?

YES THEY ARE. IT MIGHT HAVE REQUIRED AN EXTRA 5 SECONDS TO SET UP THE FIRST TIME I BOUGHT THE PHONE.

-Do you have an SD slot for cheap extra storage and the ability to store apps on the SD card as well as backup files to SD? Do you even have a file manager?

GREAT FEATURES

-Do you have to convert video files in order to get them to work?

WOULDN'T USE IT FOR THAT ANYWAYS.

-Can you share contact info or files with another phones by just touching their backs together?

YES. IT'S CALLED BUMP. I WOULDN'T USE IT ANYWAYS.

Can you look at a picture and instantly drop it onto Dropbox, Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, Gmail with just one touch?

ALL IN ONE TOUCH BESIDES DROPBOX AND WHATSAPP. I WOULDN'T USE IT FOR DROPBOX.

-Android widgets. 'Nuff said.

GOOD FEATURE. PROCESSOR AND BATTERY HOGGING SO I DON'T USE MORE THAN TWO ON ANDROID.

The S4 does that and a whole lot more...

AND THE IPHONE HAS ITS OWN SET OF BENEFITS.

What does iPhone do better? Sure it's "simpler" but anything without all those features will be simpler. With 2 weeks practice you'll never look back...

LOOKING BACK AFTER LONGER THAN TWO WEEKS.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:55:48 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2013, 05:52:15 PM »
Google Keyboard with Swype is awesome.
Any form of it is superior to the old fashioned way
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2013, 06:08:14 PM »
I'm not a gadget geek,  so all the cool features don't really matter to me since I don't know how to use most of them.   :-[

Therefore,  the main reason I have an android over an iPhone is bec it is way more practical -  for two reasons
1) Removable battery (Which includes never having to leave my phone tethered to the wall)

2) Expandable memory.  Besides for the fact that I don't need to aquire  a different phone for the additional memory,  it doesn't cost me an additional $150 for another 16gb.
Its more like $24 for 32gb

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2013, 03:25:51 AM »
Anyone here have iOS 7 or 5s. Every time i press and the home button and it takes me to the main page it seems to re adjust the page it self. Almost feels like i have to double take a look bec everything was moved a drop.
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2013, 03:56:07 AM »
Anyone here have iOS 7 or 5s. Every time i press and the home button and it takes me to the main page it seems to re adjust the page it self. Almost feels like i have to double take a look bec everything was moved a drop.

I tried but wasn't able to reproduce your issue on a i5, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on.
Maybe you have to many apps open?
Tried turning the phone off?
Visibly Jewish

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
Yes. I have tried it all. Ppl i have spoken to know what I'm saying. Looks almost like a twitch.
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »
Yes. I have tried it all. Ppl i have spoken to know what I'm saying. Looks almost like a twitch.

Try Settings--->Accessibility---->Reduce motion---->On
Visibly Jewish

Offline mickeyg

• $336 Israel Deal Finder
  • Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, UA Silver, DL Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AVIS President's Club, Hertz #1 Gold
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »
Check out this article, it may help.....
http://www.imore.com/ios-7-and-motion-sickness-poll
I have nothing witty to write here....