Author Topic: Getting A Green Card\US citizenship  (Read 36942 times)

Offline how

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Getting A Green Card\US citizenship
« on: July 22, 2013, 05:32:08 AM »
Anyone have any experience getting A green card and US citizenship for A Canadian married to an American? How long does it usually take? and is it better to apply for it in Israel or maybe Canada before coming to the US or apply in the US?

TIA

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
Re: Getting A Green Card\US citizenship
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:39:11 AM »
Anyone have any experience getting A green card and US citizenship for A Canadian married to an American? How long does it usually take? and is it better to apply for it in Israel or maybe Canada before coming to the US or apply in the US?

TIA
I went through this with my Wife (she is the Canadian one). IIRC, it took around 4 months to get the Green Card (assuming you have all your paperwork in order. If not, it can take a lot longer).

We were/are living in NJ so would not know about applying before from another country. Although, think once you apply for the Green Card, you cannot leave the country. So you may need to be in the U.S. It is possible and probable that they have some kind of system setup for people who are not in the states to apply.

My wife was the one that handled most of the paperwork, but if you have any questions, i can try and help as much as i can.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline robi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:19:28 AM »
I went through this with my Wife (she is the Canadian one). IIRC, it took around 4 months to get the Green Card (assuming you have all your paperwork in order. If not, it can take a lot longer).

We were/are living in NJ so would not know about applying before from another country. Although, think once you apply for the Green Card, you cannot leave the country. So you may need to be in the U.S. It is possible and probable that they have some kind of system setup for people who are not in the states to apply.

My wife was the one that handled most of the paperwork, but if you have any questions, i can try and help as much as i can.
better to apply in the US, if you apply abroad you have to be in the US every couple of months, and its a longer more complicated process. it took me about 6 months to get the green card, but you can get a work and travel permit about a month later
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »
better to apply in the US, if you apply abroad you have to be in the US every couple of months, and its a longer more complicated process. it took me about 6 months to get the green card, but you can get a work and travel permit about a month later
My wife never received her travel permit...

A side note for any Canadian. Make sure you bring your "long form" birth certificate, as it is YMMV. My wife did not have the proper one and we had to wait an additional month before getting approved (it also ruined our pesach plans in Italy...).
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
My wife never received her travel permit...

A side note for any Canadian. Make sure you bring your "long form" birth certificate, as it is YMMV. My wife did not have the proper one and we had to wait an additional month before getting approved (it also ruined our pesach plans in Italy...).
i received my travel permit right away

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »
i received my travel permit right away
I think the process is a big YMMV. On top of the YMMV, there is no place one can call up to complain or try to get things expedited (IMO).
All i can say is that i am happy my wife has the Green card in hand. Unless one is hiring a lawyer to handle everything, this can be a very stressful time.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline robi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:40:47 AM »
I think the process is a big YMMV. On top of the YMMV, there is no place one can call up to complain or try to get things expedited (IMO).
All i can say is that i am happy my wife has the Green card in hand. Unless one is hiring a lawyer to handle everything, this can be a very stressful time.
i actually used a lawyer. theres a seperate form to fill out to get your travelling papers. in order to get anything expedited you basically need a lawyer

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:50:38 AM »
i actually used a lawyer. theres a seperate form to fill out to get your travelling papers. in order to get anything expedited you basically need a lawyer
We had the information filled out and mailed, it just never came in the mail.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline how

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
except that technically dont you have a problem if you enter the US with the intent of staying there permanently without a green card?
 lately
Years ago i was told that it was easier to apply in Israel but lately I dont think thats the case

Offline how

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »

Thanks

How do you get the long form birth certificate?

Offline metziah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
Thanks

How do you get the long form birth certificate?
You can order it online from the Canadian registrar dept. or some sort of thing like that just google it. Sorry dnt have the info on me now, I went through this process 3 years ago, good luck

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »
Contact UJO in Williamsburg - http://www.unitedjewish.org/
If you are low income they will help you with the legal work for a cheap price...

Offline how

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 01:38:54 PM »
Contact UJO in Williamsburg - http://www.unitedjewish.org/
If you are low income they will help you with the legal work for a cheap price...
and if not is it still kiday to contact them?

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »
and if not is it still kiday to contact them?
Call them and see!

Offline how

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 01:41:18 PM »
Call them and see!
I actually did already try to contact them so that's why I was asking if its worth trying again
thanks

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 02:03:34 PM »
I actually did already try to contact them so that's why I was asking if its worth trying again
thanks

When I applied for my GC around 4 years ago, I did it through the UJO (your income doesn't matter). It was very straightforward, got my GC five months later, and they charged like $70 for their work IIRC.

Recently a family member of mine applied through them, and FWIH you could wait quite long for an appointment with them, whereas my appointment was the day after I called.

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »
It's very possible to do the paperwork by yourself but the UJO is a great idea to make sure all the little details are correct (we didn't use them for the whole thing but they answered some minor questions whenever I emailed them). Also technically you cannot enter the US with intent to reside although it is a much quicker and easier process if you happen to find yourselves in the USA when you realize that you want to move here and get a Green Card.

Offline how

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 02:16:39 PM »
if you happen to find yourselves in the USA when you realize that you want to move here and get a Green Card.
That sounds like a great idea  :D

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 03:46:38 PM »
Anyone here go through the Green Card renewal process (going from a 2 year conditional Green Card to a regular 10 year Green Card) without a lawyer? When I applied for a Green Card initially, I used a lawyer because there were a million forms that needed to be filled out and didn't want to screw it up, but this time around it's only one form and seems rather simple. Is it worth it to use a lawyer for $750?

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 03:52:49 PM »
Anyone here go through the Green Card renewal process (going from a 2 year conditional Green Card to a regular 10 year Green Card) without a lawyer? When I applied for a Green Card initially, I used a lawyer because there were a million forms that needed to be filled out and didn't want to screw it up, but this time around it's only one form and seems rather simple. Is it worth it to use a lawyer for $750?
Not really needed.
Quaerite et Invenietis.