Author Topic: Getting A Green Card\US citizenship  (Read 37013 times)

Offline Zevi16

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Getting A Green Card\US citizenship
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
How can one come into the country with the intent of getting a green card? I never received that option when I fly there

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 01:06:20 PM »
One can remain on the green card for life. The question is.how does he leave the country if the passport is expired? Also I thought you have to go every 5 years to renew the green card and for that I'm sure you need a valid passport. Not certain tho
1. It's every 10 years
2. I believe you don't need a valid passport
3. In this particular case, being that s/he's on a Green Card for 25+ years, it probably doesn't need to be renewed (GC's issued 1977-1988 don't have an expiration date).

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »
i couldn't find a better thread so if i should start a new one, let me know:

if you only have a Green card (citizen for 25+ years), how far can it take you when flying? i'm assuming 50 states is fine but what about Canada, PR, US Virgin Islands? what about Bahamas, DR, Mexico, Bermuda, etc? if not, is it better to get a US Passport or a passport from Birth country (Australia)?
You probably meant that they're a resident for 25 years.

No chance any country will let them enter without a passport.
A family member just got a green card and there is this crazy history test you have to take to become a citizen... It seems that no-one bothers
I know plenty of people who "bothered".

Offline dudi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2015, 01:36:13 PM »
How can one come into the country with the intent of getting a green card? I never received that option when I fly there
Of course you cant but if you were lying its worse

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2015, 01:41:16 PM »
You probably meant that they're a resident for 25 years.

i did. green card was renewed last year. she's been a resident for over 25 years but had a temporary green card for a while
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline shlonx

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2015, 06:18:14 PM »
Thanks, but I need to come up with something really creative, since I did my civil marriage here during the engagement, flew back, and then came to get married 2 months later. Mistake, I know, but it's done. So how do I explain that- came, got married, went back home alone for 2 months, came back, then decided to stay?!?!
Brevity may be the soul of wit, but floridity is its spirit.

Offline ChAiM'l

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2015, 06:24:36 PM »
Thanks, but I need to come up with something really creative, since I did my civil marriage here during the engagement, flew back, and then came to get married 2 months later. Mistake, I know, but it's done. So how do I explain that- came, got married, went back home alone for 2 months, came back, then decided to stay?!?!
They didn't ask IME.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »
You decided to stay, went back to finish some buisness and move all your stuff back to the states... then you came back here.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline shlonx

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »
You decided to stay, went back to finish some buisness and move all your stuff back to the states... then you came back here.

Yes, but that would mean that when I entered the States the second time, I came with the intention of applying for a Green Card, no?

Offline ChAiM'l

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2015, 06:31:34 PM »
Yes, but that would mean that when I entered the States the second time, I came with the intention of applying for a Green Card, no?
Correct. PMd you.

Offline dudi

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2015, 06:57:26 PM »
They didn't ask IME.
Experience in this case means nothing it really depends on the case and the person.
Why can't you say that you religious so you didn't want to live with your "wife" till you were religiously married and then when you were here and religiously married you really liked her comunitty or the place and decided to stay?

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2015, 10:56:29 PM »
Experience in this case means nothing it really depends on the case and the person.
Why can't you say that you religious so you didn't want to live with your "wife" till you were religiously married and then when you were here and religiously married you really liked her comunitty or the place and decided to stay?
Good post.
Especially since one of the main things they are looking for is proof you are really married. We had invitation and translated kesuva to prove marriage happened, and if asked you can say that you came in for your religious ceremony.

Offline dudi

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2015, 11:42:12 PM »
Good post.
Especially since one of the main things they are looking for is proof you are really married. We had invitation and translated kesuva to prove marriage happened, and if asked you can say that you came in for your religious ceremony.
Thanks.
We brought out leather binded wedding album and many random pictures from all trips we took together (he was really happy because he needed something to keep by him to explain why he approved me and we have him a whole lot of pics

Offline CS91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2015, 12:28:15 AM »
Thanks.
We brought out leather binded wedding album and many random pictures from all trips we took together (he was really happy because he needed something to keep by him to explain why he approved me and we have him a whole lot of pics

I brought a few wedding proofs that had a lot of people in the background. Guy was like "Ya, don't think you got several hundred people to help you fake a wedding. Approved."

Offline isaaclap

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2015, 11:59:29 AM »
I recently married a Canadian (Im american) and want to get her the green card. Whats the fastest economical way? Thanks!

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2015, 01:49:33 PM »
I recently married a Canadian (Im american) and want to get her the green card. Whats the fastest economical way? Thanks!

If you can pay for it, I'd use a lawyer. Made the process much smoother and headache free.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2015, 01:59:25 PM »
If you can pay for it, I'd use a lawyer. Made the process much smoother and headache free.
It can definitely be done without a lawyer, but lot of work.

I (my wife) did it all and then went one time to a lawyer to make sure all the papers were in order.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2015, 02:19:16 PM »
It can definitely be done without a lawyer, but lot of work.
100%. I was just working with a short timeline and needed everything to go through smoothly. But to answer OP, first thing is to get legally married, and then start working on the forms. Just have to make sure you won't run into any issues with your intent when entering the country (which was mentioned above). Also, start thinking about who you can use as a co-sponsor if you're wife isn't making enough money to sponsor you.

Offline shlonx

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2015, 02:42:06 PM »

Thanks, that makes sense. Or I'll use Chaim'l's idea of saying that a job opportunity in London fell through while I was here, and I decided to stay...

I went to UJO, who did everything, even Fedexing the application to their lawyer for double-checking, and then sending it off to USCIS. They didn't charge a penny, either. If you're nit in Brooklyn, I recall  that David Greenfields office had someone that came in once a week to deal with immigration issues, but call to make sure. If not, try contacting your local community organisation or councillor, who might be able to help.

Good luck!!

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2015, 02:47:42 PM »
Thanks, that makes sense. Or I'll use Chaim'l's idea of saying that a job opportunity in London fell through while I was here, and I decided to stay...

I went to UJO, who did everything, even Fedexing the application to their lawyer for double-checking, and then sending it off to USCIS. They didn't charge a penny, either. If you're nit in Brooklyn, I recall  that David Greenfields office had someone that came in once a week to deal with immigration issues, but call to make sure. If not, try contacting your local community organisation or councillor, who might be able to help.

Good luck!!
I heard ujo stopped. Is that true?