Topic Wiki

Wiki in progress (check back soon for fully constructed)

Link to Dan's TR on DD   
dpk4588's trip report
CGR

Largest Jewish community is in Silver Spring, which is a suburb of Washington. For tourists, best place to stay is in downtown Silver Spring, which has a metro stop and a nearby  shul in Woodside Park within walking distance.

The shul website also has alot of helpful tourist information

Things to do
Washington Monument

Kosher Restaurants
Charbar
Oh Mama Grill
GW Hillel
Krispy Kreme (Donuts only) (Cholov Stam)
[CharBar at Nationals Park (Center Field)]

« Last edited by gubevo18 on May 14, 2023, 11:34:41 AM »

Author Topic: Washington DC Master Thread  (Read 179756 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Washington DC Master Thread
« Reply #740 on: January 27, 2020, 12:42:16 AM »
I'm not averse to staying in Silver Spring or other nearby community, but we'll be spending the day in DC.
Your best bet is to probably to stay at a hotel in Silver Spring, as that's where most of the shuls and kosher food is. There aren't hotels any within walking distance of the Jewish community but there are a couple within a 10 min drive. You can easily park and take the metro into DC from right nearby as well.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #741 on: January 27, 2020, 03:11:21 AM »
Your best bet is to probably to stay at a hotel in Silver Spring, as that's where most of the shuls and kosher food is. There aren't hotels any within walking distance of the Jewish community but there are a couple within a 10 min drive. You can easily park and take the metro into DC from right nearby as well.
sheraton silver Spring is a 5 minute walk to a shul

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 30, 2020, 09:14:49 PM »
sheraton silver Spring is a 5 minute walk to a shul
True, I forgot about the shul in Woodside.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Kabrams1618

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 11, 2020, 11:48:41 PM »
We will be staying  in central d.c. Friday and Shabbat.  Which restaurant do you recommend that has delivery to hotels to get food for over shabbat.  How late can you order on Friday?

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 12, 2020, 12:58:35 AM »
We will be staying  in central d.c. Friday and Shabbat.  Which restaurant do you recommend that has delivery to hotels to get food for over shabbat.  How late can you order on Friday?
There's only one real restaurant in DC, Char Bar and they don't really do Shabbos food. You'd have to order from one of the caterers/grocery stores in Silver Spring most likely.

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 12, 2020, 09:49:20 AM »
There's only one real restaurant in DC, Char Bar and they don't really do Shabbos food. You'd have to order from one of the caterers/grocery stores in Silver Spring most likely.
Char Bar absolutely does do Shabbat Takeaway. Call them.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 12, 2020, 12:46:06 PM »
Char Bar absolutely does do Shabbat Takeaway. Call them.
Cool. Their menu is very much not Shabbos food so I never would have guessed. Definitely the best option then, their food is pretty good.

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile

Offline Pesach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 07, 2021, 12:49:17 AM »
I was in Washington dc for shabbos  and Rabbi Shemtov was discussing how someone called around  6 oclock  friday that he was with 30 people and that  their plane got rerouted on the way to ny and was grounded in dca waiting to take off, however there were 20 planes in front of them   and they werent going to land in ny on time. So he called up the churchill hotel next door to his shul to hold a bunch of rooms and they agreed to hold them for 45 minutes  then sent one of his children to trader joes to pick up food and  in the meantime  they handed the phone to the steward and the rabbis told them "if you dont take off in the next few minutes then you are going to have 30 people who wont get off the plane once it lands in ny".  at around 705 the plane finally took off and he told his son who was at the checkout counter ready to pay to put back the food. " chasuve lasoise mitzvah vloi asah maaleh alav haksuv keilu asahu"  if you thought and wanted to do a mitzvah and it doesnt end up happening it is considered as if you did it.  I dont think I am recording every detail in the story 100 percent  accurately but this is more or less what happened.

Offline aspitz6342

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 02, 2021, 12:09:54 PM »
Most probably going to be in DC for shabbos in August.

Has anyone eaten the shabbos meals in Rabbi Shemtovs Shul? How is it? Best place to stay nearby?

Going with DW and 3 kids

Online gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #750 on: July 27, 2021, 09:42:59 AM »
anyone know where the Brooklyn Sandwich Kosher Food Truck is located on a typical day? haven't been able to find any information about where it is located these days.

TIA

Online Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 20, 2021, 08:10:31 PM »
Any experiences with Shabbos in a Washington DC hotel bookable with points that's walking distance to minyan, and has enough space to eat comfortably and have a couple small kids sleep?

I'm looking into Residence Inn Foggy Bottom or Dupont Circle, or Embassy Suites Georgetown, but would love to hear firsthand reports about Shabbos friendliness (front door, stairwell, helpful staff) and any other issues, or recommendations for alternatives.

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 21, 2021, 12:47:12 AM »
Any experiences with Shabbos in a Washington DC hotel bookable with points that's walking distance to minyan, and has enough space to eat comfortably and have a couple small kids sleep?

I'm looking into Residence Inn Foggy Bottom or Dupont Circle, or Embassy Suites Georgetown, but would love to hear firsthand reports about Shabbos friendliness (front door, stairwell, helpful staff) and any other issues, or recommendations for alternatives.
I was researching similar, best I found was Residence Inn Arlington Courthouse walkable to Chabad of Alexandria-Arlington, I think 12 minutes.  It didn't work out for other reasons, so I don't know how Shabbos-friendly it is.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Danfan27

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 21, 2022, 09:39:41 PM »
Any ideas for a hotel to stay in on chol hamoed with 5 kids? Preferably near a shul.

Offline herb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 21, 2022, 09:53:11 PM »
Any ideas for a hotel to stay in on chol hamoed with 5 kids? Preferably near a shul.
Hyatt place Georgetown

Offline est

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 22, 2022, 08:28:21 PM »
I’m also looking to do family trip Chol hamoed. Have tons of Amex points - what’s my best option for hotel - pref near a shul? Or am I better off not limiting myself to hotels based on the points and I’ll get a better deal just paying cash. With kids I don’t necessarily need a high-end hotel. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 08:31:33 PM by est »

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 22, 2022, 11:16:22 PM »
There is a Sheraton in silver spring near metro and shul

Online Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 23, 2022, 10:08:29 AM »
The main shul option is Kesher Israel in Georgetown (was just there last night - the cherry blossoms are stunning!). They are still very strict about Covid though, and you can only daven there if you're vaxxed (including kids).

Embassy Suites is an easy 10-15 minute walk and reasonably priced for all-suite rooms. It's also bookable with Hilton points, I believe 60k a night.

There are also 2 Residence Inns roughly the same distance from shul, one in Foggy Bottom and one in Dupont Circle. They should be 35k per night (if you book this week before rates change), which means you can use 35k certs, and they are also all suites and include full-size refrigerator/freezers. The reviews aren't as good as for ES, but they should be find for a short Chol Hamoed stay.

Also bear in mind that parking at all these places is a fortune, but you can usually find something nearby on Spothero for half the price, albeit without in-out privileges.

Offline est

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 23, 2022, 03:52:40 PM »
Thanks!!

Offline est

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 23, 2022, 10:11:06 PM »
If some of us are not vaxxed what’s other Shul options that will have minyanim on chol hamoed? Tia