Topic Wiki

Wiki in progress (check back soon for fully constructed)

Link to Dan's TR on DD   
dpk4588's trip report
CGR

Largest Jewish community is in Silver Spring, which is a suburb of Washington. For tourists, best place to stay is in downtown Silver Spring, which has a metro stop and a nearby  shul in Woodside Park within walking distance.

The shul website also has alot of helpful tourist information

Things to do
Washington Monument

Kosher Restaurants
Charbar
Oh Mama Grill
GW Hillel
Krispy Kreme (Donuts only) (Cholov Stam)
[CharBar at Nationals Park (Center Field)]

« Last edited by gubevo18 on May 14, 2023, 11:34:41 AM »

Author Topic: Washington DC Master Thread  (Read 181443 times)

Offline yls2011

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Washington DC Master Thread
« Reply #360 on: December 29, 2014, 03:15:38 PM »
Thank you all for your answers! I heard about Max's, but it will just be 2 of us, not worth shlepping out there just for food. Will probably get takeout from Char Bar and refrigerate it at the hotel.
FYI for anyone interested: a new pizza place called Silver Crust will be opening at the JCC at some point in January. For those wasting to eat locally, hopefully this will be a new good option.

Offline yls2011

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 29, 2014, 03:17:12 PM »
Has anyone done a tour of the white house interior that can comment on the experience and how they arranged it? Thanks!!
Per the white house website, you need to contact your local congressman between 6 months-30 days of your tour and make a tour request. Haven't done it though so I can't comment on the experience.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/tours-and-events

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #362 on: December 30, 2014, 01:39:02 PM »
Thank you all for your answers! I heard about Max's, but it will just be 2 of us, not worth shlepping out there just for food. Will probably get takeout from Char Bar and refrigerate it at the hotel.
FYI for anyone interested: a new pizza place called Silver Crust will be opening at the JCC at some point in January. For those wasting to eat locally, hopefully this will be a new good option.

Excellent. Good to know. I am there a few times per year..  (Which JCC? In Wash DC, where Distrikt Bistro was?)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 30, 2014, 06:56:26 PM »

Silver crust is owned by the same person as Ben Yehuda pizza according to dw

Offline yls2011

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 31, 2014, 04:53:55 PM »
Excellent. Good to know. I am there a few times per year..  (Which JCC? In Wash DC, where Distrikt Bistro was?)
In DC. I believe it is in place of Distrikt Bistro.

Offline yehudae

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 06, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »
looking to go with my family to washington dc end of january has anyone done this with 5 kids ages 12 to 1 years? tips where to stay and what to do for 2 days and 2 nights?

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #366 on: January 06, 2015, 03:15:37 PM »
looking to go with my family to washington dc end of january has anyone done this with 5 kids ages 12 to 1 years? tips where to stay and what to do for 2 days and 2 nights?
You have the Smithsonian, where almost everything is free. Many museums there. Air and Space museum is one. There's a post office tour, if I remember correctly. The main thing you don't want to miss is the Newseum. You pay for one day and get a second free. You can spend most of a day there, no problem. If you have college students or AAA members bring your ID card for 10% off. I think there might be Groupons for it too. I'm sure if you read through this blog you'll see this and more. A great place to vacation. If you pass Baltimore on the way there's a great aquarium. Have a great time.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 06, 2015, 03:20:54 PM »
Just FYI, admission to Newseum is $22.95 per adult, $13.95 per kid (7-18, free for younger than that - so it can get pretty expensive for a family, even if you have the discount. If that sounds a bit pricey for a big family to you, I'd say stick with the Smithsonians. Plenty of good ones for 2 days worth (Air and Space and Natural History are probably the most kid oriented).

Offline bb1836

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 154
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 11, 2015, 05:26:24 PM »
new restaurant. upscale burger joint
charbardc.com
As @davidmal says: "Likes" feed the family

Offline yls2011

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 12, 2015, 12:43:39 AM »
Just FYI, admission to Newseum is $22.95 per adult, $13.95 per kid (7-18, free for younger than that - so it can get pretty expensive for a family, even if you have the discount. If that sounds a bit pricey for a big family to you, I'd say stick with the Smithsonians. Plenty of good ones for 2 days worth (Air and Space and Natural History are probably the most kid oriented).
When we were at Newseum last week, there were deals on Travelzoo, Living Social, and for AAA members. IIRC, Travelzoo was $17 per adult.
I also think that kids might get bored at Newseum, so think twice before paying the entrance fees for a museum they may not enjoy.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #370 on: January 13, 2015, 01:09:17 PM »
When we were at Newseum last week, there were deals on Travelzoo, Living Social, and for AAA members. IIRC, Travelzoo was $17 per adult.
I also think that kids might get bored at Newseum, so think twice before paying the entrance fees for a museum they may not enjoy.
I'm surprised you say that. It's been a while since we went, but every age group had a great time. Maybe things there changed. Could be.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline yls2011

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 13, 2015, 04:50:56 PM »
I'm surprised you say that. It's been a while since we went, but every age group had a great time. Maybe things there changed. Could be.
Granted, there are certain parts that will appeal to kids, like the 4D movie. But off the top of my head, I don't think the the Baby Boomer, FBI, September 11, Berlin wall sections are appealing to kids. Maybe once they get closer to middle school age, they will be more interested. I would think they would be far more occupied at Air and Space, where they can go into model airplanes, or the Museum of American History, where they can see all the old fashioned trains, for example.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #372 on: January 14, 2015, 06:31:54 AM »
^  ^ Plus, those locations are free.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline yls2011

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 15, 2015, 02:22:39 AM »
Trip Report:
Took UberX from IAD-Downtown DC: $55 flat rate each way. From my research, that may be the cheapest private transportation for that route. If I'm mistaken, let me know. Although there is a bus to the nearest metro station, this is far more convenient.
Hotel: Grand Hyatt Washington was over half the price of the PH DC. I believe the reason for the low rate was construction occurring in the lobby all day. Didn't bother us- we knew it was going to be loud and we were out anyways before the noise started. The rooms are on the small side, but I think this is the norm for downtown. Fridges are already in the room.
Anyways, great staff, small club lounge. The location was excellent, better than the PH in terms of Shabbat I think- we were able to walk to many attractions such as the National Mall, Air and Space, and National Archives. We were concerned that the metal detectors at the museums would be an issue on Shabbat, but it was not. AYLOR, but we were advised that so long as you do not have anything on you that would set off the metal detector, it is permissible. But some museums didn't even use their metal detectors.
Washington DC is actually a great city to spend Shabbat in due to the large amount of free museums. And when the weather is nice, the National Mall is a nice walk- there is a large pond/lake, and lots of grassy area for kids to run around.
I should mention that we don't usually like museums at ALL, but somehow DC's museums managed to keep us busy.
Air and Space (FREE)- very interactive. Great for all ages. Any avgeek will love the airplane section. I spent a good 2 hours in that section alone, it was fascinating. They have real planes that you can walk through, and a flight simulator. We were there on shabbat and there were a few muktzeh things we couldn't do, but definitely still worth the trip.
National Archive(FREE)- this is where the Declaration of Independence is kept. Worth a short visit. We were in and out in 20 minutes.
Museum of American History (FREE)- There is a large "transportation" exhibit, with cars, chariots/coaches, trains, etc. from throughout history. Was interesting. Good for kids. There is also a very interactive food section- showing how food has evolved in America, for example the creation of supermarkets.
Newseum- A must do. Admission is around $22 for adults, but when we went they were offering AAA discounts, and Living Social and Travelzoo also had deals. Kids may not have as much to do there, especially when there is so much else for them in DC. But we loved it.
Smithsonian Zoo (FREE)- Great zoo. A bit out of the way but worthwhile. There are many indoor enclosures to see the animals in during the cold weather.
Of course there is also the White House, and all the various memorials, but those can all be done in a few hours. We did not get to do a tour of the White House since we booked the trip last minute.
Food: AT the time of our trip, the only kosher restaurant in DC itself was Char Bar. I felt that the menu was great, but it didn't necessarily translate to the food. Coming from LA, the burgers nowhere near rivaled Jeff's, PKD, etc. The fries were homemade, but had no crisp/crunch, they were limp. So I wouldn't say it was bad, but we weren't impressed. But the staff was great, and after eating there a few times, they remembered us well towards the end. Of course there are many more options in Silver Spring and Rockville, but since our trip was short, we did not want to waste too much time schlepping out to the suburbs for food.
As mentioned upthread, there is supposed to be a new pizza restaurant called Silver Crust opening in the DC JCC soon. But as it wasn't open yet, we decided to leave Downtown DC for one meal, and headed to Nut House Pizza in Silver Spring. We chose this one because it was only a 5 minute walk from the Wheaton metro stop, so the most convenient. The pizza was just ok. Definitely not worth the trip. The place was old, dirty, and depressing looking. But there was a target right by the metro stop, so we finally got RedCards!
Shabbat food: Brookville supermarket has a decent selection of kosher food. On Friday they had challah, and we were able to pick up candles since we forgot to bring. We got deli meat, rolls, hummus and some other spreads. It was no feast, but it did the job.
Overall, a great weekend trip.

Offline gsquared

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 15, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
If you dont mind but what Brookeville market are you referring to?  Also a little late but behind Nut House is Max's which would have been a far better choice. Lastly are you sure you got the Target prepaid redcard since there are variations.  I was at that Target and(at the time) they were one of the Targets that dont sell that version

Offline yls2011

• View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 15, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »
If you dont mind but what Brookeville market are you referring to?  Also a little late but behind Nut House is Max's which would have been a far better choice. Lastly are you sure you got the Target prepaid redcard since there are variations.  I was at that Target and(at the time) they were one of the Targets that dont sell that version
The Brookville Supermarket is in Cleveland Park on Connecticut Ave, just north of the zoo. Yeah we knew about Max's but we were there Motzei Shabbat and they weren't open.
As it turns out, we bought the wrong Amex RedCard. We didn't do our research beforehand because we didn't know about the Target being there. Oh well. Didn't realize there was more than one Prepaid AmEx RedCard.

Offline gsquared

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 15, 2015, 06:30:56 PM »
The Brookville Supermarket is in Cleveland Park on Connecticut Ave, just north of the zoo. Yeah we knew about Max's but we were there Motzei Shabbat and they weren't open.
As it turns out, we bought the wrong Amex RedCard. We didn't do our research beforehand because we didn't know about the Target being there. Oh well. Didn't realize there was more than one Prepaid AmEx RedCard.

I was thinking Brookeville MD. I did a street view and realized I used to hang out at Club Soda next door back in the day and never remembered seeing the market.

Offline Sammy54

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 01, 2015, 09:46:33 PM »
What is the fastest way from Dulles to downtown Washington, I'm landing in Dulles at 9:30 AM with my family of 7 also whats the best way to get to returning flight in Dulles depart at 7:45 no luggage to check in. Any info would be appreciated. 

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 09, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »
can someone volunteer to wikify this thread?

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=43837.0
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 10, 2015, 03:08:23 PM »
Silver Crust, High End Dairy Restaurant Opens
A new, high end Kosher Dairy cafe featuring pizza, pasta, salads and sandwiches has opened this week in the DCJCC. The cafe will accommodate their busy DC clientele by offering quick, to-go options as well as sit-down table service. This is welcome news for the Jews of DC who did not have much of a selection when it came to Kosher Dairy restaurants. Silver Crust is under the kosher supervision of the Vaad of Greater Washington. They are located at 1529 16th Street NW, Washington DC, 20036. Click here to see their website. h/t YeahThatsKosher.com