Topic Wiki

Wiki in progress (check back soon for fully constructed)

Link to Dan's TR on DD   
dpk4588's trip report
CGR

Largest Jewish community is in Silver Spring, which is a suburb of Washington. For tourists, best place to stay is in downtown Silver Spring, which has a metro stop and a nearby  shul in Woodside Park within walking distance.

The shul website also has alot of helpful tourist information

Things to do
Washington Monument

Kosher Restaurants
Charbar
Oh Mama Grill
GW Hillel
Krispy Kreme (Donuts only) (Cholov Stam)
[CharBar at Nationals Park (Center Field)]

« Last edited by gubevo18 on May 14, 2023, 11:34:41 AM »

Author Topic: Washington DC Master Thread  (Read 179787 times)

Offline dpk4588

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
Re: Washington DC Master Thread
« Reply #420 on: July 27, 2015, 02:50:34 PM »
Yeah, PHDC is a relatively short walk to minyan, food and the metro - but not to the attractions.

One other option to look into is biking to get around. There are bike racks all over and places that will rent you ask the necessary equipment. Haven't done it yet, but last time we were there (in the winter) we were thinking it'd be a great idea in nicer weather.
IME the Metro was useless. Many of the things I wanted to do required a 15-20 minute walk from the Metro plus the time on the Metro, it was more convenient to just use Uber (which is relatively cheap there).
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 27, 2015, 03:13:42 PM »
IME the Metro was useless. Many of the things I wanted to do required a 15-20 minute walk from the Metro plus the time on the Metro, it was more convenient to just use Uber (which is relatively cheap there).
Lol, depends where you're going obviously. Uber wasn't an option for me anyway (2 kids in car seats) and the Metro worked out perfectly. Anyway, the attraction of the PHDC is not it's proximity to the Metro, it's the hotel itself as well as proximity to shul and food. The Metro may however help mitigate the fact that it's not as centrally located as the other Hyatts.

Offline dpk4588

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 27, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »
Lol, depends where you're going obviously. Uber wasn't an option for me anyway (2 kids in car seats) and the Metro worked out perfectly. Anyway, the attraction of the PHDC is not it's proximity to the Metro, it's the hotel itself as well as proximity to shul and food. The Metro may however help mitigate the fact that it's not as centrally located as the other Hyatts.
I agree, I was just giving my experience with the Metro.
It wasn't why I picked the PHDC and it wasn't why I moved for the other 2 nights I was in DC.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Jacobos

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 28, 2015, 01:19:32 AM »
Does anyone know what hashgacha meat char bar uses

Offline westman812

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 28, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
+1; Service-wise it's hard to beat. Plus, usually the summer rates are ridiculously cheap for a PH. There's also the complimentary Mercedes and BMW rides.

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 28, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »
Anyone been to Blue star house of beef?

Offline mek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 04, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
What is the best starwood option in or around D.C?

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 04, 2015, 11:44:14 PM »
momo, it is actually the same owner as char bar.  Hard to compare when you come from a city full of restaurants, but I think it is pretty good.  Last time I went they had amazing ribs

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 05, 2015, 10:59:43 AM »
momo, it is actually the same owner as char bar.  Hard to compare when you come from a city full of restaurants, but I think it is pretty good.  Last time I went they had amazing ribs

Can you post some details? Or did you already?

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #429 on: August 07, 2015, 11:25:02 AM »
Short TR:

Stopped in Baltimore (not saying where as its embarrassing for a DDF member to stay there). I booked tickets for the Old Trolley Bus Tours. I parked in Union station (20$) for the day and walked to the Capital. Got into the House of Representative as my guests were from Israel and get in without appointments. After the capital we caught the orange loop for a full tour of the main sites including the White HOuse,museums,memorials and the Treasury. Strongly recommend them as the tour guide is terrific the buses are open air and you get a great view of the city.
 Went to eat at Motis Grill food was fantastic. I got the New York Ribeye(25$) the others got shwarma and grilled chicken. Food was great ambiance is ok and the prices are fantastic!

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 12, 2015, 09:34:40 PM »
What is the best starwood option in or around D.C?

Stayed in the Sheraton Pentagon City for 7k/night for the following reasons: 1) rain was forecast so wanted an indoor pool that was open all day. 2) I heard it was easy to get free parking and it was though the gate was never down so I'm not sure I got a better deal than anyone else there 3) shuttle to metro. I'll try to post a trip report at some point

Offline Jacobos

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 16, 2015, 01:01:06 AM »
Quick trip report. was in washington dc for two nights, stayed at the sofitel Lafayette Square, got it on hotwire, was beautiful and the service was great. visited the first day the spy museum was very nice. the next day I went to the newseum, was there for almost two hours barely half done, had to go to an appointment at the Capitol, then went to the library of Congress, at night I went to the Lincoln memorial,  the next day I went on the duck tour, which was very informative. I ate one night in mottys in silver springs, and the seconod night in char bar.

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 22, 2015, 11:51:26 PM »
Stayed in the Sheraton Pentagon City for 7k/night for the following reasons: 1) rain was forecast so wanted an indoor pool that was open all day. 2) I heard it was easy to get free parking and it was though the gate was never down so I'm not sure I got a better deal than anyone else there 3) shuttle to metro. I'll try to post a trip report at some point

Day 1

We left Sunday morning and went to sesame place (you can buy tickets online for $10 dollars cheaper and they are good for 2 visits parking is also ~$17 and I think is cheaper if prepaid online as well) which was a mistake as it was Sunday and the placed was jammed with crazy lines for the rides. I bought a water proof bag for my phone that hung around my neck so I was able to take pics on the rides. I suggest doing that and not bring your wallet into the park as the lockers are $13 and you really don’t need it except for your wallet (they email the tickets to you and u can also  keep a cc in the bag with the phone). We kept the lunch in the stroller and just left the stroller at the entrance to the rides w/o any issues. We then went to a World of falafel ~15min from there which was pretty mediocre for a $7 falafel. After that we drove to D.C where we stayed at the Sheraton Pentagon City for 7k/night no club access but they gave me free parking. The hotel was pretty nice, nothing special but I wouldn't really say its worth 7k

Day 2

We went to the national zoo which is free aside from the parking. Skip the $5 map and just take a pic on your phone of the large sign with one. One of the nicest zoos we’ve ever been to and as with most zoos there is a lot of walking so be prepared. It was a fairly cool day so most of the animals were out and we got to see them. We then drove to Max’s which was very good food and reasonably priced.

Day 3

We took the hotel shuttle for a ~2min ride to the metro and took the metro to the National Mall. We went to the air and space museum which I highly recommend for kids of all ages. After that we ate lunch on a bench outside on the mall. Then it was on to the museum of natural history which is free. Skip the $1 map as there is no need at all for it. The museum was very crowded but we were still very impressed with all the exhibits and the kids had a great time there as well. We then took the metro back but I miscalculated the time and we had 20 min to burn before the next hotel shuttle but luckily the stop is right next to a mall so we got some haagen dazs. After a quick swim in the pool which was empty either bec it was still early or bec the water temp. was 93 . I was planning on going to the Indian food buffet at Moti’s but at that point I had no interest in driving 35min so I called in an order to Char Bar and drove 10 min to pick it up. You cant park on the street there after 4pm and I saw cars getting ticketed so I called them up and the brought it out to the car. Food was pretty good but more expensive then Max’s and I thought the burger at max’s was better.

Day 4

It was back to NY but we stopped in Baltimore to see the National Aquarium. 2 things of note 1) They validate parking only at certain garages and 2) They don’t strollers. The Aquarium is gorgeous easily the nicest we’ve been to but it came with a hefty ticket price. We were greeted by a very large security guard who barked at us that we cant bring in a stroller and ordered us to the stroller check in which is free. This created a huge problem as all of our stuff was in the stroller and my 2 yr old also insists on running away whenever he gets the chance. This sort of took some of the fun away buy we managed and went back a few times to take snack and lunch out of the stroller. After that we drove back to NY with a quick stop in Elizabeth NJ for pizza which after having it made me realize we should’ve skipped it. 

Offline Toasted

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 23, 2015, 12:36:01 AM »
Great tr! Must add this to my bucket. Seems to work with little kids and minimal schlepping food involved.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 26, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »
Any hotel recommendations within walking distance to some of the main attractions/sights?
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 26, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »
Any hotel recommendations within walking distance to some of the main attractions/sights?
I've been to DC many times over ( the last time Aug 10 )you don't gain much by having your hotel at the mall. You have parking for $10 a day ( or free ) near the mall.

But just so you know, to walk the national mall from one attraction to another takes a lot of walking.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 26, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »
I've been to DC many times over ( the last time Aug 10 )you don't gain much by having your hotel at the mall. You have parking for $10 a day ( or free ) near the mall.

But just so you know, to walk the national mall from one attraction to another takes a lot of walking.
Not planning on having a car and the walking is fine for us. Thanks for the insights.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline ycohen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 26, 2015, 04:39:36 PM »

I just came back from a nice 2 night stay at the PH. It is not walking distance to many of the main sites but we had access to complementary bikes making it a short ride to everything. Also was very convenient when going museum hopping.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 26, 2015, 04:41:13 PM »
I just came back from a nice 2 night stay at the PH. It is not walking distance to many of the main sites but we had access to complementary bikes making it a short ride to everything. Also was very convenient when going museum hopping.
I'm assuming you did not have a kid which makes the bikes a great feature. I will be with a kid and need a stroller to get around.
Quaerite et Invenietis.