Topic Wiki

Wiki in progress (check back soon for fully constructed)

Link to Dan's TR on DD   
dpk4588's trip report
CGR

Largest Jewish community is in Silver Spring, which is a suburb of Washington. For tourists, best place to stay is in downtown Silver Spring, which has a metro stop and a nearby  shul in Woodside Park within walking distance.

The shul website also has alot of helpful tourist information

Things to do
Washington Monument

Kosher Restaurants
Charbar
Oh Mama Grill
GW Hillel
Krispy Kreme (Donuts only) (Cholov Stam)
[CharBar at Nationals Park (Center Field)]

« Last edited by gubevo18 on May 14, 2023, 11:34:41 AM »

Author Topic: Washington DC Master Thread  (Read 179806 times)

Offline dylu87

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Washington DC Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 12:52:08 PM »
Does anyone know which segway tour in Washington DC is the best?

Offline Driven

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 12:39:44 PM »
Bistro was a great restaurant, went there a few times was always good. Unfortunately, I tried making reservations there today, and I was told that they are no longer open for business.

Also if anyone is ever looking to go to a hockey game in DC let me know I have access to some amazing seats (and cheaper ones) at great prices.

I'll try Eli's like some others have recommended.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2012, 02:04:13 PM »
Anyone want to post a current list of open kosher restaurants in DC/Silver Spring vicinity and what not to miss in each of them?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline farmerjoe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz #1 gold,HHonors Gold
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »
Ben Yehuda Cafe & Pizzeria  (great pizza place!!)
1370 B Lamberton Drive
Silver Spring
(301) 681-8900

Eli's Restaurant   (from what i hear its pretty good)
1253 20th St NW, Washington, District of Columbia 20036
(202) 785-4314 ‎

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2012, 05:31:14 PM »
Dan FYI Park Hyatt Washington D.C. coming up on JS.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 05:38:20 PM »
Dan FYI Park Hyatt Washington D.C. coming up on JS.
I can get a suite there without JS for $150+, but is it worth it when I have a free suite at the Fairmont?
Besides that I'm still not sure if I should base myself in DC or Baltimore...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 09:44:04 PM »
What's js? How can you get a suite for 150? The  rates I am seeing are around 490 a night
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 04:04:02 AM »
What's js? How can you get a suite for 150? The  rates I am seeing are around 490 a night

JetSetter?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »
Ben Yehuda Cafe & Pizzeria  (great pizza place!!)
1370 B Lamberton Drive
Silver Spring
(301) 681-8900

Eli's Restaurant   (from what i hear its pretty good)
1253 20th St NW, Washington, District of Columbia 20036
(202) 785-4314 ‎
Bump.
Anyone else here eat at/have reviews for any DC area restaurants? 

Offline am32

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2012, 07:25:55 AM »
Bump.

Moti's Grill in Rockville is very good.  They have an all you can eat Indian buffet every Tuesday, and if you like that kind of food, you shouldn't miss that.  Their regular menu is also good.  They are inside a very big Kosher grocery store/butcher.

There's also Cafe Shawreen (Moroccan) & Pita Hut (Israeli) in Rockville which are both good as well.

In Silver Spring, you can't go wrong with Max's - but it's nothing fantastic, just reasonably priced basic food.

Pomegrante Bistro (Potomac) recently re-opened with new owners, it used to be amazing and far and away the best place in the area but don't what it's like now.

For dairy places, Sienna's (Rockville) and Pastry Oven (Silver Spring) are both good options.  Try the Deep Dish Pizza at Sienna's - it's awesome.  Pastry Oven is a little on the pricey end, but worth trying.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:42:07 AM by am32 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 02:09:40 PM »
Moti's Grill in Rockville is very good.  They have an all you can eat Indian buffet every Tuesday, and if you like that kind of food, you shouldn't miss that.  Their regular menu is also good.  They are inside a very big Kosher grocery store/butcher.

There's also Cafe Shawreen (Moroccan) & Pita Hut (Israeli) in Rockville which are both good as well.

In Silver Spring, you can't go wrong with Max's - but it's nothing fantastic, just reasonably priced basic food.

Pomegrante Bistro (Potomac) recently re-opened with new owners, it used to be amazing and far and away the best place in the area but don't what it's like now.

For dairy places, Sienna's (Rockville) and Pastry Oven (Silver Spring) are both good options.  Try the Deep Dish Pizza at Sienna's - it's awesome.  Pastry Oven is a little on the pricey end, but worth trying.
Leaving Tuesday afternoon, so won't be able to make the Indian buffet.  Oh well.

Anyone been to Pomegranate since they reopened?

Soupergirl in DC also appears to be kosher, anyone been there? http://www.thesoupergirl.com/how-it-works/faqs/

And then there's Elis and Distrikt Bistro in DC.  Anyone here been there?

Thanks for any reviews guys!

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 04:45:21 PM »
How can you get a suite for 150? The  rates I am seeing are around 490 a night
Bump
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline westman812

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
Leaving Tuesday afternoon, so won't be able to make the Indian buffet.  Oh well.

Soupergirl in DC also appears to be kosher, anyone been there? http://www.thesoupergirl.com/how-it-works/faqs/

I've been to Eli's once, and thought it was pretty good..other people have told me they liked it as well..

Offline am32

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »

There's been only great feedback about the new Pomegrante on the local listserv.

I don't think Soupergirl is actually a full service restaurant.  Also it's not under the DC Vaad and don't know much about the hashgacha it does have.

Eli's is great, I have been there many many times.  You can't beat the location.  It's not expensive, either.

There is also a kosher Krispy Kreme 2 blocks away.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2012, 02:01:43 PM »
There's been only great feedback about the new Pomegrante on the local listserv.

I don't think Soupergirl is actually a full service restaurant.  Also it's not under the DC Vaad and don't know much about the hashgacha it does have.

Eli's is great, I have been there many many times.  You can't beat the location.  It's not expensive, either.

There is also a kosher Krispy Kreme 2 blocks away.
Thanks.
Anyone have more info on the hashgocha for Soupergirl?  They claim it's Orthodox/Bishul Yisroel/Pas Yisroel?

Any specific recs for what to get or not to miss at Pomegranate, Eli's, Distrikt, or ben yehuda?

Offline Columbiadorm

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Delta Silver Medallion, SPG Gold
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2012, 02:40:52 PM »
I have eaten by both and they are both good.

I second that! We had a great trip. Elis was a full house that night, we took it to go. May be worth a RSVP. Pom waiter was very good, we all ordered appy, soup?, main (steaks), and desserts (3 of 4 of us liked our steaks cooked differently), she wrote nothing down, I tested her after being that I didn't want her to screw up the order, she had it down to the tee. All was delicious, only 'screw up' that she had was swapping my dessert for Eli's :).

Pom is fancier. Eli's was more 'pub like' -- lot's of wood etc.

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2012, 05:33:37 PM »
Can anyone help me out here? I'm thinking about going to Washington from Brooklyn for Mid Winter - end of January/beginning of feb. We were thinking that instead of driving, relax and take a train. So what I need to know is where to stay that is close to minyan, kosher restaurants and the sites and near their subway transportation so we can get around. Is this a good or bad idea. I've driven before, just thought this would be a better idea. Can it work? Also, which train and where?
Mutty
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline trying123

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »
Amtrak takes u to union station in w DC which is not far from the capital
Re minyan there is one good minyan there I don't remember off hand but it strts w a 'k' look it up in go davan if ull email me il b able to give u wht I have from my visit

Offline am32

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2012, 06:41:10 PM »
Can anyone help me out here? I'm thinking about going to Washington from Brooklyn for Mid Winter - end of January/beginning of feb. We were thinking that instead of driving, relax and take a train. So what I need to know is where to stay that is close to minyan, kosher restaurants and the sites and near their subway transportation so we can get around. Is this a good or bad idea. I've driven before, just thought this would be a better idea. Can it work? Also, which train and where?
Mutty
Staying downtown will be expensive (unless you're using points...) but there is Kesher Israel which is on N Street.  Another  option is to stay in the downtown Silver Spring area which are still accessible by Metro to downtown.  Woodside Synagogue is within a 5-10 minute walk and the Metro takes about 20 minutes to go downtown.  Look higher up on this thread for a bunch of info about restaurants.  You'll be happy not having to deal with a car and paying for parking downtown when you see the sites, but you will be more limited when it comes to going out to eat, unless you are willing to take the bus as well as the Metro.

Offline beny

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2012, 01:30:57 AM »
Bump.
I was actually just in DC.

Eli's for lunch: nice ambiance, but a bit let down on the food.
Distrikt for dinner: its in a weird setting - the lobby of the JCC, people passing by in gym clothes... although it is pretty quiet, we were the only ones there.
but pleasantly surprised with the food. quick, fresh, and tasted good.

also, not sure why your considering between Baltimore and Washington; you cant compare -  Washington's a really beautiful place just to walk around/ museums/ scenery/ shopping.  unless your dilemma is based on other reasons...