Topic Wiki

Wiki in progress (check back soon for fully constructed)

Link to Dan's TR on DD   
dpk4588's trip report
CGR

Largest Jewish community is in Silver Spring, which is a suburb of Washington. For tourists, best place to stay is in downtown Silver Spring, which has a metro stop and a nearby  shul in Woodside Park within walking distance.

The shul website also has alot of helpful tourist information

Things to do
Washington Monument

Kosher Restaurants
Charbar
Oh Mama Grill
GW Hillel
Krispy Kreme (Donuts only) (Cholov Stam)
[CharBar at Nationals Park (Center Field)]

« Last edited by gubevo18 on May 14, 2023, 11:34:41 AM »

Author Topic: Washington DC Master Thread  (Read 179722 times)

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Washington DC Master Thread
« Reply #680 on: January 02, 2019, 02:03:30 PM »
Wow, so many new places, I gotta get down there and check them out

Offline Kabrams1618

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 15, 2019, 09:51:30 PM »
Is anyone going to the Aipac conference this year.  Does anyone know the kashrut situation for the event and Shabbaton associated with the event?  Is there kosher food available near the event center?

Offline chayie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 15, 2019, 10:55:34 PM »
Is anyone going to the Aipac conference this year.  Does anyone know the kashrut situation for the event and Shabbaton associated with the event?  Is there kosher food available near the event center?

From the AIPAC website:
“With the exception of certain retail outlets in the Marriott Marquis, all retail food at conference venues is kosher under the supervision of the Capitol-K Rabbinical Council of Greater Washington.”

That’s our local Va’ad. 100% reliable hashgacha.

Offline Kabrams1618

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 03, 2019, 12:00:30 PM »
I am staying at fairfax embassy hotel and need to walk back to hotel from the convention center late on a Friday night.  Is it a safe area to walk alone?

Offline chayie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 03, 2019, 01:21:09 PM »
yes - should be.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 13, 2019, 02:23:18 PM »
Planning a trip for the summer (going during recess). Going wife and 2 kids. read through the thread Was wondering about 2 things.

1. I have a bunch of Hilton points. Considering i am traveling with kids, is staying at the Embassy Suites near Georgetown (in the west end) the way to go?

2. i used my senator's (Bob Menendez) website to request a Whitehouse tour but haven't heard back from them yet. anyone have experience with the process?

TIA

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 13, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »
Planning a trip for the summer (going during recess). Going wife and 2 kids. read through the thread Was wondering about 2 things.

1. I have a bunch of Hilton points. Considering i am traveling with kids, is staying at the Embassy Suites near Georgetown (in the west end) the way to go?

2. i used my senator's (Bob Menendez) website to request a Whitehouse tour but haven't heard back from them yet. anyone have experience with the process?

TIA

Lots of experience with #2. Tried for years and years and they never succeeded in getting the tour for me. First of all, their standard procedure is to have you submit to them your SSNs names and DOBs through unsecured means, which I didn't agree to do. We worked out a different method to transfer that information. But then they kept missing the response deadlines from the secret service for background checking and scheduling requests and we were never approved. Later I moved out of NJ and tried again with the new state- immediate responses from the senator's office, secure transfer of ID, and was approved within 2 weeks of requesting.

Bottom line, NJ didn't try too hard. Maybe if you agree to send a PDF with your personal information over unsecured email they'll do a better job but I doubt that was the reason. Like anything else relating to NJ politicians, you probably need to bribe someone if you want anyone to lift a finger.

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 13, 2019, 04:29:55 PM »

TIA
Lots of experience with #2. Tried for years and years and they never succeeded in getting the tour for me. First of all, their standard procedure is to have you submit to them your SSNs names and DOBs through unsecured means, which I didn't agree to do. We worked out a different method to transfer that information. But then they kept missing the response deadlines from the secret service for background checking and scheduling requests and we were never approved. Later I moved out of NJ and tried again with the new state- immediate responses from the senator's office, secure transfer of ID, and was approved within 2 weeks of requesting.

Bottom line, NJ didn't try too hard. Maybe if you agree to send a PDF with your personal information over unsecured email they'll do a better job but I doubt that was the reason. Like anything else relating to NJ politicians, you probably need to bribe someone if you want anyone to lift a finger.

Try Booker. Or your congressman.

Offline ericchavez91

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 13, 2019, 06:30:16 PM »
+1 I went through my congressman (Chris Smith), about 2 weeks before our scheduled trip, and his office got us 4 tickets for the white house tour.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 13, 2019, 08:21:24 PM »
+1 I went through my congressman (Chris Smith), about 2 weeks before our scheduled trip, and his office got us 4 tickets for the white house tour.

Thanx! Just tried with Chris Smith. I'll KYP.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #690 on: March 15, 2019, 02:24:08 PM »
How do I know who my congressman is?

Offline Live N Learn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 15, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »
How do I know who my congressman is?
GIYF
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 16, 2019, 10:28:36 PM »
Thanx! Just tried with Chris Smith. I'll KYP.

Got a phone call back within 24 hours. Told me can only book 3 months in advance (contrary to the 4 month deadline post up thread) and gave me a direct number to be in contact with the rep. Super helpful! Menendez on the other hand.....crickets.

Offline Kabrams1618

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 17, 2019, 11:55:30 PM »
Staying at fairfax embassy row.  Any place within walking distance to pick up kosher food, supermarket etc?  Also any kosher   restaurents that will deliver to the hotel grub hub, etc.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 18, 2019, 12:25:34 AM »
Staying at fairfax embassy row.  Any place within walking distance to pick up kosher food, supermarket etc?  Also any kosher   restaurents that will deliver to the hotel grub hub, etc.
Char Bar and Souper Girl are within walking distance. There are no kosher supermarkets per se - see here for list of supermarkets nearby and what kosher selection they each have: https://www.kesher.org/jewish-dc.html

Offline chayie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 18, 2019, 06:20:33 AM »
Char Bar and Souper Girl are within walking distance. There are no kosher supermarkets per se - see here for list of supermarkets nearby and what kosher selection they each have: https://www.kesher.org/jewish-dc.html

Correct. And door dash can do deliveries from soupergirl. Check online to see if door dash does Char bar as well

Offline Kabrams1618

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 19, 2019, 11:19:42 PM »
Anyone going to aipac, specifically the shabbaton, my daughter is looking for other religious women who will be there.

Offline yoruel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 04, 2019, 08:30:44 PM »
Are there hotels with minyanim on chol homoed this year?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 04, 2019, 11:26:05 PM »
Are there hotels with minyanim on chol homoed this year?
Don't know about specific hotels, but Kesher Israel was packed last year. We stayed down the block (Georgetown Suites or something like that).

Offline ~King Lake~

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 22, 2019, 10:40:38 PM »
Anyone, what are the prices for parking lots in the area's around the museum's capital etc.?
I’m in shape, round is a shape…