Topic Wiki

Wiki in progress (check back soon for fully constructed)

Link to Dan's TR on DD   
dpk4588's trip report
CGR

Largest Jewish community is in Silver Spring, which is a suburb of Washington. For tourists, best place to stay is in downtown Silver Spring, which has a metro stop and a nearby  shul in Woodside Park within walking distance.

The shul website also has alot of helpful tourist information

Things to do
Washington Monument

Kosher Restaurants
Charbar
Oh Mama Grill
GW Hillel
Krispy Kreme (Donuts only) (Cholov Stam)
[CharBar at Nationals Park (Center Field)]

« Last edited by gubevo18 on May 14, 2023, 11:34:41 AM »

Author Topic: Washington DC Master Thread  (Read 179742 times)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: Washington DC Master Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2012, 10:09:15 PM »
@skyguy918 so the kesher Israel shull is a 10 min walk or a half hour walk from the PHDC?
By the way: thanks so much for you guidence and help, and for you Daniel, thanks so much for going out of your way and advising me, I know you didn't expect a thank you, and even though you knew you could get a kick in the face from me for helping me, and you answered so proper. Thanks!! Ill remember!
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2012, 12:47:56 AM »
@skyguy918 so the kesher Israel shull is a 10 min walk or a half hour walk from the PHDC?
By the way: thanks so much for you guidence and help, and for you Daniel, thanks so much for going out of your way and advising me, I know you didn't expect a thank you, and even though you knew you could get a kick in the face from me for helping me, and you answered so proper. Thanks!! Ill remember!

The former, it's half a mile. I was only there during the week, but you can check out their complete calendar here.

Offline LAXtraveler

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2012, 12:24:54 AM »

Kesher Israel is 10 minutes or less from the PH in DC. I've done the walk before and it is really close.

Offline far rockaway

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »
anyone know if i use a hyatt suite night at the park hyatt dc, if i will  get a park suite or a parlor suite?

I just booked a park executive suite with my free suite award for signing up as a diamond member. It's a higher category than the park or parlor suite. Can't wait, the suite looks amazing.

Offline zlt123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2012, 02:29:48 AM »
Hi so i am going on vacation to washington DC and i was looking to use my spg points and the cheapest hotel i found was the  Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel for 2800 points +$49.23 Per night. Does anyone have any experience with this hotel ? Or does anyone have a solution for a cheap nice hotel for August time? Also any tips for mincha/mariv (72 min.)?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2012, 08:31:26 AM »
Hi so i am going on vacation to washington DC and i was looking to use my spg points and the cheapest hotel i found was the  Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel for 2800 points +$49.23 Per night. Does anyone have any experience with this hotel ? Or does anyone have a solution for a cheap nice hotel for August time? Also any tips for mincha/mariv (72 min.)?
If driving in and out is an option stay at the Aloft in Arundell Mills
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Washington DC Master Thread
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2012, 10:18:45 AM »
I got the Hyatt regency capitol hill for like $119/night. very adequate.
Don't think you'll find a 72 minute maariv minyan, AFAIK there is one show in town for minyanim.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »
If driving in and out is an option stay at the Aloft in Arundell Mills
Not worth it, you'd barely be out of Baltimore. In fact, there are no level 2's within a reasonable distance. At level 3, the Sheraton Pentagon City is the closes to the action, and is Metro accessible (5 min bus ride), so it's a pretty good option.
I got the Hyatt regency capitol hill for like $119/night. very adequate.
Don't think you'll find a 72 minute maariv minyan, AFAIK there is one show in town for minyanim.
There is only one place in DC proper, but Silver Spring provides quite a few options. If you are in fact driving, I highly recommend staying in Silver Spring. Actually, even if you're not it may be worthwhile.

They're opening a Sheraton in Silver Spring this month and it's a level 3. I don't see cash and points, but you can always call and ask. Even straight up points is not too bad, as level 3 is 7k/night. The hotel is a mere 5 minute walk to Woodside Synagague (2 minyanim for shachris and mincha/maariv by shkia - no 72 min) in one direction with a Goldberg's bagel a few minutes farther along the road, and a 5 minute walk to the Silver Spring Metro station in the other direction (20 minute ride to the city center). Hard to beat that combo. I wish this had been open when I went, would've made for a much more convenient stay.

I have no experience staying in a newly opened/renovated hotel (it seems like it used to be a Crowne Paza), maybe others can chip in as to whether that's a good or bad idea generally speaking.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
A new hotel is a nicer hotel. Why wouldn't you think so?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »
A new hotel is a nicer hotel. Why wouldn't you think so?

I don't know, maybe they don't have all the details ironed out. It's a lot to expect to have everything run perfectly right from the get go. You can plan and plan, but problems arise when you're actually open for biz, and the closer to launch, the less time there will have been to fix those issues.

I would definitely lean toward the idea that newer is better, but I have no experience with this kind of thing. Bottom line, I'm not recommending the quality of the hotel because I have no experience with it, I'm recommending the location/price.

Offline zlt123

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2012, 05:49:49 PM »
If there is no cash $ points option i cant do it beacuse. I have only 11,800 spg points and i need 2 rooms for 2 nights. & if i dont have a at least a 60 minyan mariv i will anyway have to go to baltimore for marriv (thats what my diyam paskend me). So i was thinking of going with my car till baltimore and sleeping there but than i chacked parking in DC i saw that there is almost none and a bus ride from baltimore to DC takes very long I would spend half a day only getting there and back so the only place i found was the shareton in pantegon city so thanks evreyone  for the advice but iam looking for a cat. 3 in the 5 miles of DC

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
If there is no cash $ points option i cant do it beacuse. I have only 11,800 spg points and i need 2 rooms for 2 nights. & if i dont have a at least a 60 minyan mariv i will anyway have to go to baltimore for marriv (thats what my diyam paskend me). So i was thinking of going with my car till baltimore and sleeping there but than i chacked parking in DC i saw that there is almost none and a bus ride from baltimore to DC takes very long I would spend half a day only getting there and back so the only place i found was the shareton in pantegon city so thanks evreyone  for the advice but iam looking for a cat. 3 in the 5 miles of DC

First of all, the Yeshiva Gedola in Silver Spring has a 10pm maariv. I would call and check if they have it during bein hazmanim.

As far as C&P, I'd try calling and seeing if they can open availability, it can't hurt. If they're firm on points or cash only, you can try the Sheraton Washington North. It's also a level 3 with C&P, and though it's far away from the city center, if you plan on going to Silver Spring for minyan and/or food anyway it's not too inconvenient. They have free parking at the hotel, and then you can park at the Silver Spring metro for cheap.

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2012, 08:14:11 PM »
Last time I went to DC I parked at my hotel at night and right in front if the Smithsonian at a meter during the day

Offline zlt123

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2012, 02:09:43 AM »
Last time I went to DC I parked at my hotel at night and right in front if the Smithsonian at a meter during the day
What do you mean by a meter? You kept feeding it quarters?

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2012, 02:11:56 AM »
It want over night and I think I paid don't really remember though

Offline westman812

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
Just got back from a long weekend at the Park Hyatt in DC. 3rd night free summer promotion with a Diamond upgrade. Park executive deluxe suite. Room- very modern, minimalistic. huge living room with table and chairs, large bedroom, and a very interesting bathroom(they call it spa style with a the bathtub in the shower room- even though there was no door to the shower- basically it was one giant space with a shower and bath in on corner and a walk in closet on the other). Overall, the suite was large and comfortable but a little too dark and modern for my taste. There's also a nespresso machine in the suites, a yoga mat(as well as DVDs for anyone interested), and complimentary water bottles are provided daily. Service- This is what differentiates a PH from the other brands. Whoever we dealt with provided over the top service, always offering to do more. One example, was one afternoon we returned to the hotel and my wife and I went to see if there were any left over fruits in the area which had been used for Breakfast. One of the attendees approached us and asked us what we were looking for. Upon hearing our request, the attendee immediately told us they would send up some fruit, which arrived within 3 minutes of us getting to our room(and there was no room charge). Location- not the greatest in DC in terms of centrality, but only a 8-10 min walk to Kesher Israel, or Chabad of GW(seasonal), and just a few more mins to chabad in dupont circle. The metro stop in foggy bottom is a 7 min walk as well. 
Activities- Newseum, Holocaust mueseum, capital, Air and space, tidal basin paddleboats(near the jefferson memorial) and general sightseeing.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Offline bhphotoman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2012, 12:26:03 AM »
Not sure if it was ever mentioned but the museum of crime and punishment was by far one of the best museums I have been to but it was crazy expensive

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2012, 10:01:34 AM »
Not sure if it was ever mentioned but the museum of crime and punishment was by far one of the best museums I have been to but it was crazy expensive

+1, though I went with a Groupon so it was only $9 IIRC.

Offline DrDanny

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
IIRC its $20 which is what all the not free museums charge

Offline barlala

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Good restaurant in Washington DC or Maryland area
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2012, 05:43:03 AM »
Pom Bistro has a great lunch menu and some of the dinner items are phenomenal.
Elis is convenient if you are in DC..lots of selection most prob cheaper but not great.

Pom Bistro is very good,it's worth to go there.