Topic Wiki

Wiki in progress (check back soon for fully constructed)

Link to Dan's TR on DD   
dpk4588's trip report
CGR

Largest Jewish community is in Silver Spring, which is a suburb of Washington. For tourists, best place to stay is in downtown Silver Spring, which has a metro stop and a nearby  shul in Woodside Park within walking distance.

The shul website also has alot of helpful tourist information

Things to do
Washington Monument

Kosher Restaurants
Charbar
Oh Mama Grill
GW Hillel
Krispy Kreme (Donuts only) (Cholov Stam)
[CharBar at Nationals Park (Center Field)]

« Last edited by gubevo18 on May 14, 2023, 11:34:41 AM »

Author Topic: Washington DC Master Thread  (Read 179887 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Washington DC Master Thread
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »
I'm looking into going with my wife & 1 year old baby to DC for this chal hamoed (sukkos) any advice offered would be really appreciated!
Where should we sleep,  I would preferably book with points,  I have 10k Ihg but I have more than enough UR points to transfer from, I have like 25k Marriott though I should get another 70k now and I have a free night with Marriott (cat 1-4)  I would also consider Ihg paying so that I can score my "Ihg into the nights" challenge http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=44838.0
IHG Into The Nights: Sign Up to EARN 2 Free IHG Nights!!

And what about a sukkah is there 1 in DC I'm talking about eating?
Well, the only shul in DC is Kesher Israel in Georgetown, and it does appear that they have a sukkah. If you want to be within reasonable walking distance (driving to the shul and parking each time would take forever anyway) that probably nixes IHG. Hyatt only has the PH within walking distance, which is a level 6 (25k/night). Marriott is probably the most attainable for you, with 2 different Residence Inns (30k/night), a Marriott and a Renaissance (both 35k/night) to choose from within a 15 minute walk.

There are several posts in this thread about the PH DC, none about any of the Marriott's though.

You can also try Silver Spring. The Courtyard Silver Spring is a Category 4, so you could use your free night, and it's pretty close to the Woodside Synagague (more than 15 minute walk, but you should be fine driving the 3 minutes and parking each time). Parking isn't free, but it's way cheaper than what it would be in DC proper, and your'e right by the Metro. I don't know if the shul will have a sukkah but it might be worth calling or emailing them to ask.

Offline clear thinker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 22, 2014, 12:20:13 PM »
Well, the only shul in DC is Kesher Israel in Georgetown, and it does appear that they have a sukkah. If you want to be within reasonable walking distance (driving to the shul and parking each time would take forever anyway) that probably nixes IHG. Hyatt only has the PH within walking distance, which is a level 6 (25k/night). Marriott is probably the most attainable for you, with 2 different Residence Inns (30k/night), a Marriott and a Renaissance (both 35k/night) to choose from within a 15 minute walk.

There are several posts in this thread about the PH DC, none about any of the Marriott's though.

You can also try Silver Spring. The Courtyard Silver Spring is a Category 4, so you could use your free night, and it's pretty close to the Woodside Synagague (more than 15 minute walk, but you should be fine driving the 3 minutes and parking each time). Parking isn't free, but it's way cheaper than what it would be in DC proper, and your'e right by the Metro. I don't know if the shul will have a sukkah but it might be worth calling or emailing them to ask.
Thank u so much I appreciate it!!

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 22, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
Thank u so much I appreciate it!!

If you are looking at Silver spring, I can give you some more info too.

Offline dpk4588

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 02, 2014, 10:17:30 PM »
I'll be staying at the Park Hyatt DC at the end of the month. Assuming they're willing to get me Kosher breakfast as a Diamond member, how far would they go to get me breakfast since there's nothing kosher breakfast-wise in DC proper. Anyone think they'd get me something from The Kosher Pastry Oven? Its about 12 miles from the hotel.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 02, 2014, 10:20:16 PM »
I'll be staying at the Park Hyatt DC at the end of the month. Assuming they're willing to get me Kosher breakfast as a Diamond member, how far would they go to get me breakfast since there's nothing kosher breakfast-wise in DC proper. Anyone think they'd get me something from The Kosher Pastry Oven? Its about 12 miles from the hotel.
probably depends on if they will deliver and how much they charge.

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 12, 2014, 07:41:29 PM »
If I had to choose ONE meat restaurant in the Silver Spring or Rockville area. Which should I choose and why? Also, where should I go to get prepared food for the rest of my meals. Does anyone know what Eli's market carries (the website isn't really up yet).
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline lunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 12, 2014, 07:45:10 PM »
If I had to choose ONE meat restaurant in the Silver Spring or Rockville area. Which should I choose and why? Also, where should I go to get prepared food for the rest of my meals. Does anyone know what Eli's market carries (the website isn't really up yet).

Elis does not have a market, to the best of my knowledge.
I have heard good things about the barbecue place in Rockville, but never been there

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 12, 2014, 07:50:14 PM »
Elis does not have a market, to the best of my knowledge.
According to their website (as new and undeveloped as it may be) says its Char Bar & Eli's Market.

I have heard good things about the barbecue place in Rockville, but never been there
Which BBQ place Moti's?

bzuckerman59, did you end up staying at the PH? I saw you asked about it up thread. If so did you get kosher breakfast?
-Albert Einstein

Offline lunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 12, 2014, 07:52:22 PM »
According to their website (as new and undeveloped as it may be) says its Char Bar & Eli's Market.
Which BBQ place Moti's?

bzuckerman59, did you end up staying at the PH? I saw you asked about it up thread. If so did you get kosher breakfast?

I never ended up at the pH, sorry.
Yes motis

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 18, 2014, 10:53:26 PM »
I will be staying at the Park Hyatt DC and as a Diamond member am entitled to breakfast and so I contacted them about providing me with Kosher breakfast and after some confusion between me and the manager, I was informed that the breakfast is provided by The Shalom Group who is certified by the The Rabbinical Council of Greater Washington (aka Capitol K).
As I have never had kosher food provided for me by a non-kosher hotel, I was wondering what the procedures are in terms of having them heat it up. If anyone could let me know what I should request of them in that realm I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
-Albert Einstein

Offline pghtown

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 24, 2014, 11:34:23 PM »
Looking to buy prepared food for this Thanksgiving weekend/Shabbos while visiting DC.  Any suggestions?  Only one I heard about is Shalom Market.  Thanks in advance.

Offline lunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 25, 2014, 12:50:31 AM »
Looking to buy prepared food for this Thanksgiving weekend/Shabbos while visiting DC.  Any suggestions?  Only one I heard about is Shalom Market.  Thanks in advance.
That's a good place. Where are you staying?

Offline pghtown

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 25, 2014, 10:58:40 PM »
That's a good place. Where are you staying?
Downtown

Offline lunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 26, 2014, 06:55:07 PM »
Downtown
I would go to silver spring to the Shalom place. I have heard that eli's now has a market with the restaurant, maybe check it out and report back

Offline LifesGood

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 27, 2014, 01:26:13 PM »
How does one get a tour of the while house.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 27, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »
How does one get a tour of the while house.

Just hop the fence. should be able to see most of it before the secret service stops you.

Offline yls2011

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 29, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »
So I've read the thread, and regarding kosher food: Pomegranate, Distrikt Bistro, and Eli's are now closed. Eli's is now Char Bar which is a good option, but other than that, it seems that there is nothing kosher in Washington DC itself? I will be short on time, so going to Rockville/Wheaton/Silver Spring isn't the best option. Does anyone know of anything else kosher?
Also, any info on Shabbat food? Delivery from a caterer maybe?

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #357 on: December 29, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »
So I've read the thread, and regarding kosher food: Pomegranate, Distrikt Bistro, and Eli's are now closed. Eli's is now Char Bar which is a good option, but other than that, it seems that there is nothing kosher in Washington DC itself? I will be short on time, so going to Rockville/Wheaton/Silver Spring isn't the best option. Does anyone know of anything else kosher?

For Shabbat food and overall take-out, Sholom's Kosher, Signature Catering, and Max's (in Silver Spring),
provide great menus and great quality. They are high priced, however for a family vacation, it is a convenient option. Link: http://www.theshalomgroup.com/
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 29, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »
I picked up wrap2go from Union Station once. That location is no longer on their list, but there are plenty of others. I think I got a chicken wrap or sandwich of some sort, don't really remember much about it. If you do go for that option though I'd say call ahead to wherever you're getting them to make sure they'll actually have something available when you go.

Offline morgs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: *a Gold, Avis Presidents circle, Hertz Presidents club
« Reply #359 on: December 29, 2014, 02:11:56 PM »
Has anyone done a tour of the white house interior that can comment on the experience and how they arranged it? Thanks!!