Author Topic: Best no/low fee debit/credit card for overseas use for under 18?  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Jack out of the box

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase UR, BA Avios, AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, SPG
Re: Best no/low fee debit/credit card for overseas use for under 18?
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 07:23:15 PM »
Has anyone used the Capitol One 360 card in Israel (mostly Modiin and Jerusalem) and were there any issues? My understanding is that while there are no fees, MasterCard can charge up to 1% of the transaction and since there are no in network (allpoint) ATMs, the foreign bank can also charge a fee. Your experience?
I've been using Capital One 360 at Bank Hapoalim as well as Leumi in Modiin without any fees whatsoever. Exchange rates are set at that moment based on the interbank trading rate.  :)
Just a few words of caution though:  Back in the spring of 2014, when I had my 360 accounts open several months, I was contacted by 360 and their concern seemed to be that I should not have an account with them if I'm not permanently, physically in the US. They don't seem to care that their T&C states clearly that the customer needs to be a US person (as per their definition a US citizen, for example) but does not require presence in the US. I actually have a friend who was shut down before my story at the stage of completing the opening of an account because he's not in the US. They seem to be paying good attention to IP addresses. BH I got them off my back by telling them that although presently I'm staying in Israel, I do plan to be back in the US (for a visit though didn't say that) in a few short months (which was of course true. I wouldn't say it otherwise.)

I just got a new ATM card for my Capital One High Yield checking account. No fees for out of network ATM and in case the machine charges a fee they'll reimburse up to $15 per month. So far I've used it once. I got an email telling me how much was withdrawn but the next day I got another email with a slightly different $ amount. Anybody know their system for setting the exchange rate?

Offline KidOOO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2024, 01:00:11 AM »
Has anyone used a Cap1 360 debit card in Israel to get shekel out of ATM? their website says no foreign fees but I haven't seen much about it online wondering if it actually works

https://www.capitalone.com/help-center/checking-savings/international-atm-fees/

Offline Smiles2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2024, 04:27:00 AM »
Used it in Israel for years. Never been charged a foreign Transaction fee. Careful which atm you withdraw from though, generally a bank atm will have a more accurate exchange rate and a lower atm fee.

Offline baron

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2024, 03:54:41 PM »
Yes cap1 is great for this. Schwab is another option and they refund atm fees.