Author Topic: Moto X  (Read 34129 times)

Offline katherine123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Moto X
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »
If you like TPU cases, I like the Diztronic - http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Frosted-Inside-Flexible-Motorola/dp/B00E24YUAG or the Cimo is also pretty good.

The SupCase is harder and also has a screen protector - http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Motorola-Unicorn-Beetle-Hybrid/dp/B00E8GQHM2

The Supcase handles the volume and power buttons much better than the others.

Thank you!

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »
Thank you!

Anytime!

About the issues with the phone, I know a few people with the phone, so it is anecdotal, but the only one that has any complaints is a RW user. Perhaps Republic messes up the phone with their software?

My phone doesn't freeze (gmail works perfectly, I don't have WF, but my banking apps work fine) and there is almost never any lag, which is more than I can say for the HTC One or S4.

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2014, 05:29:21 PM »
hows this compare to the s4?
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2014, 05:39:46 PM »

Smaller in the hand, amazing feel actually. Closer to Vanilla Android which isn't for everyone though I prefer it to touchwiz.
No removable battery or sd card.
A great device. If I had to choose between an s4 and a moto X I'd choose the moto X personally.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2014, 05:41:35 PM »

Depends on what you are looking for. Have you used the S4?

The S4 has a bigger screen and better camera. It also has a removable battery and expandable storage, which the Moto X does not.

But for me, personally, the Moto x is far an way the better device. It is smaller, far more comfortable in the hand, has a bunch of really useful features that don't get in the way and actually improve day to day use. For me, the S4 is too busy - they add way too much to the Android interface, most of which I find unnecessary.

My wife has the S4, so I've used it a bunch - if you have specific questions, let me know.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2014, 05:46:37 PM »

The S4 has a bigger screen and better camera. It also has a removable battery and expandable storage, which the Moto X does not.

But for me, personally, the Moto x is far an way the better device. It is smaller, far more comfortable in the hand, has a bunch of really useful features that don't get in the way and actually improve day to day use. For me, the S4 is too busy - they add way too much to the Android interface, most of which I find unnecessary.

My wife has the S4, so I've used it a bunch - if you have specific questions, let me know.

Have the S4 i think its a waste of time actually. but i like the big screen (got used to it)

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2014, 05:50:50 PM »
Have the S4 i think its a waste of time actually. but i like the big screen (got used to it)

The screen is not all that much smaller, you won't be sacrificing much. Motorola did a really impressive job on getting a big screen into a smaller frame.

Someone in my office just switched from the S4 to the X - they are very happy. What can I say, I'm a bit of a Moto X missionary  ;)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2014, 05:58:34 PM »
The screen isn't that much smaller. But you would be losing out on camera quality. Get your hands on one and play around with it. That's the best way to see if it's for you.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2014, 06:16:40 PM »
The screen isn't that much smaller. But you would be losing out on camera quality. Get your hands on one and play around with it. That's the best way to see if it's for you.
I need camera. its prob the most imp app i need :) right behind ccs. Thants why i like the iphone a lot. quick camera and clear pics

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
How does this compare to the S4 mini?

Offline katherine123

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2014, 10:02:55 PM »

I just got the Moto X - can you share what you find to be useful features on the phone? I'm still not that familiar with it and would love to learn more about it.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2014, 10:32:13 PM »
Camera shortcut:

Twist the phone (as if turning a door knob back and forth) and it turns on the camera - even if the phone is off. I find myself trying to launch the camera on other hones like this!

Touchless controls:

Launching Google Now when the phone is off by saying "Ok, google Now" and then getting it to call/text people (among many other tasks) is very useful to me when I am biking and can't use my hands.

Active display:

This is the best one for me. If the phone is off and you pick it up, or turn it over, or pull it out of your pocket, etc., it will display the time, and any notifications. pressing and holding the notification will show the notification itself. Swipe up to go directly to the notifications app, swipe down to unlock the phone to the home screen, or swipe sideways to ignore it.

Motorola Connect:

This is a Chrome extension that allows you to text from your computer. ther are other apps that do this, so it can be replicated on other phones.

Motorola Assist:

Automatically detects when you are driving, and can do preset actions (reading out texts and announcing callers, play music, etc). It can also change settings when you have meetings on your calendar (so your phone automatically goes o silent and doesn't ring) and you can create a sleep/awake schedule which also changes settings.

This can also be replicated on other apps, but not as simply as Motorola Assist does it.

Offline katherine123

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2014, 11:03:52 AM »
Camera shortcut:

Twist the phone (as if turning a door knob back and forth) and it turns on the camera - even if the phone is off. I find myself trying to launch the camera on other hones like this!

Touchless controls:

Launching Google Now when the phone is off by saying "Ok, google Now" and then getting it to call/text people (among many other tasks) is very useful to me when I am biking and can't use my hands.

Active display:

This is the best one for me. If the phone is off and you pick it up, or turn it over, or pull it out of your pocket, etc., it will display the time, and any notifications. pressing and holding the notification will show the notification itself. Swipe up to go directly to the notifications app, swipe down to unlock the phone to the home screen, or swipe sideways to ignore it.

Motorola Connect:

This is a Chrome extension that allows you to text from your computer. ther are other apps that do this, so it can be replicated on other phones.

Motorola Assist:

Automatically detects when you are driving, and can do preset actions (reading out texts and announcing callers, play music, etc). It can also change settings when you have meetings on your calendar (so your phone automatically goes o silent and doesn't ring) and you can create a sleep/awake schedule which also changes settings.

This can also be replicated on other apps, but not as simply as Motorola Assist does it.

Wow, thank you for this. It's exciting to discover new things. I'm especially happy about the Motorola assist. Do you know if that would work if I turned off touchless control?

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2014, 11:06:10 AM »
Wow, thank you for this. It's exciting to discover new things. I'm especially happy about the Motorola assist. Do you know if that would work if I turned off touchless control?

It should. I don't think they are connected at all.

Offline katherine123

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:23 AM »
It should. I don't think they are connected at all.

Very cool, I can't wait to try that.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2014, 05:45:03 PM »

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »
And Google sold Motorola to Lenovo...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57618023-93/google-sells-motorola-unit-to-lenovo-for-$3b/
So now the Chinese can bug all our phones with a normal sounding brand.

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2014, 09:10:11 PM »
I use Moto Connect in chrome on my desktop, its awesome! Problem is that most of my contacts are only displayed as the phone number in moto connect, not the name. Its very awkward to text the wrong person  :-[ .
How do I get it to display contact names?

Offline pghtown

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2014, 01:26:11 PM »
I am interested in buying an unlocked MOTO X for use on Verizon in the U.S.  Will I be able to insert an Israeli SIM card and use it in Israel on the GSM network?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »
Why is the bottom part of my screen black?