Author Topic: “Light” Trip to Vienna & Prague  (Read 22231 times)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: “Light” Trip to Vienna & Prague
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »
Even if you call it a light trip, I can't imagine doing that.

@JKhein
Why pashkevilin? What's the problem? I heard its very popular recently in some communities.
ETA: just saw your last post, some do it because (they say) it feels something special and natural... Nothing to with tznius
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:17:52 AM by meshugener »
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »
Even if you call it a light trip, I can't imagine doing that.

@JKhien
Why pashkevilin? What's the problem? I heard its very popular recently in some communities.
there have been fatalities

Offline moish

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 09:30:34 AM »
On Sunday we bought a ticket for the Hofburg, the former Imperial residence in Vienna. The ticket, which includes an audioguide, starts off with the Silver Collection. At first it’s quite interesting, but after a bit it starts to get a bit boring. You can then skip to the next ‘attraction’, the Sisi Museum, which explores the troubled life of Sisi, wife of Franz Josef. The next attraction is by far the most interesting, the Imperial Apartments. Here you can see where and how the Hapsburgs lived including the iron bed of Franz Josef.

Next, we bought a ticket to see the Imperial Treasury, also in the Hofburg complex. Here you can see all the crowns and jewels you’d like. Some say it’s more spectacular than the Crown Jewels in London, but I didn’t think so.

Largest cut emerald in the world

Another famous attraction in the Hofburg Palace is the Spanish Riding School with a great horse show, but they too take a vacation in the summer. Other performances missed due to summer is the world famous Vienna Philharmonic as well as the Boys Choir. It was a tad strange experiencing Vienna without experiencing the music it is famous for. I guess that means I will have to make a winter visit at some point.

Next, we made our way to the Jewish Museum on Dorotheergasse which I didn’t find too informative.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:02:19 AM by moish »

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 09:31:36 AM »
On the way to the museum, we happened upon a pro Morsi demonstration with some demonstrators waving the green Hamas flag. It’s for reasons like these that I wear a cap whenever I travel.

We then went back to Alef Alef for dinner and to pay for Shabbos. Yes, we sat directly under the fans which made for a comfortable meal. The star of the show here is the classic Viennese dish, the Viennese Schnitzel which I found to be delicious. Too bad it’s not served on Shabbos.

I should mention that we found the subway system in Vienna to be extremely efficient, with trains coming around every 5 minutes. There are also elevators in virtually every station making it very stroller friendly. We bought the 72 hr pass which set us back 14.5 Euros each. Just be sure to validate it the first time, and after that, I just kept it in my wallet since there are no turnstiles in the metro system.

Before we set out in the morning, we had our suitcases all packed up and I told the front desk that should they need the room after 4pm they can just take my bags out and leave them in storage. When I arrived back at the hotel around 8:30pm, they told me they just left my bags in the room since I might need to use the bathroom etc. before I check out. I checked out, loaded the bags into my car and drove the one minute to our new hotel, the Bristol.

The Bristol, while still a nice hotel, lacks much of the elegance of its bigger brother the Imperial, and the service is not as personal. I used my suite night awards as well and was upgraded to the Opera Suite before arrival. While not as polished as the room in the Imperial (the floors creaked) the room was much larger, and when travelling with 3 kids, bigger is always better.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:47:17 AM by moish »

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »

Seats in the elevator, great idea!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:45:19 AM by moish »

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »
Great TR. Not one of the top places on my "to do" list, but it will make it on.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »
Try explaining that to some of the people here #goodluck

It's not a matter of proper explanation. It's a matter of a taste.

And, to me, the "dated" look is hideous.

Feel free to have your own taste.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 10:39:50 AM »
It's not a matter of proper explanation. It's a matter of a taste.

And, to me, the "dated" look is hideous.

Feel free to have your own taste.
I would be wondering if the linen was as old as how the room looks.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 10:48:18 AM »
I would be wondering if the linen was as old as how the room looks.

;D
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 10:50:28 AM »
one of their duties is to unpack and pack your suitcases. i intend to use that service when i stay in a single location long enough
Eh, I'd rather pack and unpack my own underwear.

Still waiting on your NZ report...that's more up my alley.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »
Monday morning, after a brief breakfast at the Ohel Moshe Bakery on Lilienbrunngasse, we drove out to the city of Bratislava (Pressburg in German), capital of Slovakia. Just as when we crossed the border into Austria, when crossing the border into Slovakia it’s necessary to purchase a sticker to permit driving there. After around 45 minutes of driving, we arrived at the gravesite of the Chasam Sofer. During WW2, the large cemetery was exhumed and reburied elsewhere, besides for the Chasam Sofer and a few others which were left intact, and a road was built over their graves. In order to access this now underground crypt, you must call a number for someone to open it, which we did in the morning. Besides for the Chasam Sofer, the graves of R’ Meshulam Igra as well as R’ Akiva Eiger’s grandfather, also named R’ Akiva Eiger, can be found there.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:32:18 AM by moish »

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »
I had read that the Chasam Sofer’s sefarim were on display at the local Jewish museum, so we decided to visit as I’m into that kind of stuff. However, I couldn’t find any of them, and when I asked some of the workers if they knew anything about it, they answered that I can find books for sale at the gift shop…

Chevra Kadisha horsedrawn hearse

Arriving back in Vienna, instead of parking at the Park + Ride, someone who I was corresponding with was currently on holiday and let me use his spot in the parking lot behind the bakery.

We then walked to the Judenplatz, where a memorial to the murdered Austrian Jews is located. Adjacent to that is a small museum which contains the archeological remains of a medieval synagogue destroyed in one of the many pogroms and expulsions of the Jews from Austria.

After that we went for dinner at the dairy Novellino restaurant which was just ok.

is it normal to charge for tap water?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:34:32 AM by moish »

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »
After dinner we visited the Prater amusement park. There is no admission fee to the park, but they charge you per ride. The park is famous for its ferris wheel which had a starring role in the Orson Welles film, The Third Man. Other than that, most of the rides in the park are geared toward older kids, but we were able to find a few kiddie ones.

Great shot, IMHO

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:02:23 PM by moish »

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 12:14:52 PM »
And all this is still called "light"?  :D
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »
i probably should have mentioned that a babysitter was watching my 2 older kids while i went out with my wife and the little one. so that makes it lighter